Thread: The spending spree continues in Cleveland- Big Z gets $11-12 mil per season

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The spending spree continues in Cleveland- Big Z gets $11-12 mil per season

NEWS UPDATE

6:56 p.m.
    Z staying with Cavaliers

Free agent center Zydrunas Ilgauskas will remain with the Cavaliers. Ilgauskas intends to sign a five-year deal worth between $55 and $60 million on July 22, the first day free agents can sign. Ilgauskas, who averaged 16.9 points and 8.6 rebounds a game this past season, is the second free agent to agree to a deal with the Cavs. Washington Wizards guard Larry Hughes intends to sign a deal with the Cavs worth between $65 and $70 million dollars.

http://www.cleveland.com/newslogs/pl...s/2005_07.html

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

Default Re: The spending spree continues in Cleveland- Big Z gets $11-12 mil per season

Well, between Big Z and Hughes, I'd say this officially knocks the Cavs out of the race for Saras. Where could they ever get the money to sign him now? I don't think it will happen unless Saras signs for peanuts.

Default Re: The spending spree continues in Cleveland- Big Z gets $11-12 mil per season

Actually, I think they still have some cash left over, believe it or not.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Yeah they still have more money than we can offer.

I don't think Sarunas will be coming to Indy.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, between Big Z and Hughes, I'd say this officially knocks the Cavs out of the race for Saras. Where could they ever get the money to sign him now? I don't think it will happen unless Saras signs for peanuts.
    They were 28 million under the cap. They can still pay more than the Pacers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Actually, I think they still have some cash left over, believe it or not.
    Roughly $8 million left by my estimation.

They will live to regret signing Z for that much money and for that long. If I were the GM, I would have gone a totally different direction, quick athletic big men, who can play off of Lebron.

Assuming they sunk a combined $21 million combined into Hughes/Z, they're still about $30 behind Indiana in team payroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    They were 28 million under the cap. They can still pay more than the Pacers.
    Not to mention the whole starting and best friend thing.

Of course, Antonio Daniels is still around, right?

IndyToad
    Feed me paperclips

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, year 1 and 2 will probably be pretty good, but 3, 4, and 5 will look like a nightmare, and like Buck said, i would rather have a guy like Dalembert than Big Z.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

I don't think Philly is willing to let Dalembert go.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well if the Cavs tried signing him for the max and place a lot of early year money, it would be hard for Philly to match.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Assuming they sunk a combined $21 million combined into Hughes/Z, they're still about $30 behind Indiana in team payroll.

What's your point?

We're all aware that we have plenty of overpaid players on our roster.

This is from NBA.com

http://www.nba.com/transactions/move...5_central.html

Cleveland Cavaliers

2004-05 ROSTER STATUS

UNDER CONTRACT DeSagana Diop, Drew Gooden, Luke Jackson, LeBron James, Ira Newble, Aleksandar Pavlovic, Eric Snow, Anderson Varejao

FREE AGENTS Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Jeff McInnis, Robert Traylor, Dajuan Wagner, Scott Williams

PLAYERS ADDED
    NBA DRAFT Martynas Andriuskevicius (44)
    FREE AGENTS
    TRADES
    PLAYERS LOST
    FREE AGENTS
    TRADES
    WAIVED

They have 8 guys under contract right now.

They are keeping Z & adding Hughes. Thats 10, add the draft pick & you're up to 11

They still need to sign at least 3 more guys.

I know they have the money right now to add Saras but if it drags out until later in the month, that might be the case.

Wow, that's Brad Miller money.

Wasn't Cleveland looking at signing both Saras and Haslem? I don't think they have enough to get both.

Mood

They are suppose to be going to offer Haslem more than 6 mil that Heat are able to match up to.

Gamble

There is no way they can do both with Saranus wanting 3 mil a year. How much will
    Jeff McInnis demand. I am sure they have already given up on Traylor.
    That leaves Haslem as the guy they need.

Mood

They have no intrest in resigning Jeff McInnis.

KING JAMES

the reason it will work for both (sarunas and udonis), is the cavs are in strong talks about trading gooden.. at least that is what is being reported here.

foretaz

well....they should be getting closer to making the pg announcement...one way or another....theyve got the big ticket items knocked out....

and i dont like the way its playing out....i will be semi-shocked if they dont sign saras now....though i will still hold out hope otherwise....i was really hoping z would sign someplace else....considering he said he would really sign for this amount earlier, but now he is....leads me to believe that saras might be the reason why he did....

and no saras will suck...however, as a pacers fan, i like what is happening to cleveland....as far as im concerned they have made 2 mistakes this offseason....offering the contracts to Z and hughes are simply desperate attempts....attempts they will live to regret....they both are albatross contracts waiting to happen....and will make it very difficult to make the team much better in the years to come....i also see it as being the groundwork that doesnt keep lebron in town....

Way to handcuff your franchise for the next 5 years. Z would be a good center in a grind-it-out half court team, but that's the total opposite of how you'd like to play with a guy like Lebron on your team. Even if you wanted to play a half court style, you'd do it by having slashers and shooters, given that team's lineup. It seems to me that they should have went after someone more athletic that won't demand the ball so much, and also that does other things besides score.

cariocapacer

You have to remember that the initial years of the deals for Z and Hughes are much lower than the average of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by cariocapacer
    You have to remember that the initial years of the deals for Z and Hughes are much lower than the average of the deal.
    Oh, I remember. That means that they're gonna look like bargains at the beginning, but there will be much gnashing of teeth in years 3-5 when Z is making close to 16 million per season, and Hughes is struggling to live up to the 14-16 million he's being paid. Keep in mind, that's what JO is making to play for us this season, and he's twice the player of either of these guys. This is all assuming that Z's feet/body hold up for another 5 years. I defy you to defend Ilgauskus getting 12 millon per season, from any angle, especially considering that Magloire, Delambert, Curry, and Chandler were on the market.