Thread: Pacers star Ron Artest wants to cut down on technical fouls

Default Pacers star Ron Artest wants to cut down on technical fouls

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2105633

Updated: July 11, 2005, 6:24 PM ET
    Pacers star wants to cut down on technical fouls

INDIANAPOLIS -- Ron Artest arrived at the Indiana Pacers' rookie-free agent camp Monday pledging to be a smarter player focused on helping his team win an NBA title.

The star forward spoke to the local media for the first time since a Nov. 19 fight in Detroit resulted in a nearly season-long suspension. That night, Artest went into the stands at The Palace and attacked a Pistons fan after he was hit with a cup of beer.

Artest said he wants to cut down on technical fouls and remain in control to help his team. He called his tendency to draw technicals "playing against your team.

"As you get older, you get a bit more wise," he said. "Probably next year, you'll see an older guy, an older player. Like everybody else, as they get older, they mature."

Artest knows he's being watched.

"I'm a ghetto-type guy," he said. "I'll be ghetto for the rest of my life. But at the same time, there's a lot of kids who look up to me. For that, I'll change."

The former All-Star and NBA defensive player of the year was averaging 24.6 points and 6.4 rebounds per game in seven games when his season was cut short.

Artest said it was his decision to join the team for the camp and for the Minnesota Summer League that starts Friday.

"He's been waiting a long time to get the uniform back on, and to be a part of the team," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "This is a beginning. We feel it's significant."

Carlisle said Artest looks ready to play.

"He looks good," Carlisle said. "He's in shape. We know he's worked hard."

Artest said he knows he'll face a strong effort from opponents in the summer league.

"I'm sure somebody's going to try to make a name for themselves," he said. "I'm going to try to make a name."

Artest said he was proud of the way the team played in his absence. The Pacers finished 44-38 and reached the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs.

"We were a top-eight team," he said. "We finished in the top eight after all that happened to us. The Pacers showed a lot of heart."

He feels he owes the Pacers for what happened against the Pistons in one of the worst melees in U.S. sports history.

"They all stood by me, and I'm going to do the same for them this year," he said. "I want to play well for my teammates, and I want to win a championship.

"It's my job to focus on basketball," he said. "It's my job to put the team first."

Artest said he thought "everybody hated" him after the Detroit incident, but was happy that Indiana fans stood by him.

"They just showed a lot of support, all types of support," he said. "They said, 'Keep your head up.' It's a great feeling."

Artest said he is looking forward to returning to Detroit for his first game there since the brawl.

"It's going to be a lot of excitement," he said. "Sometimes, you go to away games and you've got to find a way to get your energy up. I'm sure my energy will be up."

One visible change in Artest was his jersey number. He donned number 15 after changing from 91 last season and 23 the season before that. He had worn number 23 in honor of Michael Jordan, then 91 in honor of former Chicago Bull Dennis Rodman.

Artest wore number 15 in high school and at St. John's.

Gamble

Default Re: Pacers star Ron Artest wants to cut down on technical fouls

ITs nice to see him put the 15 back on and say "no more games".

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I thought maybe he'd want to cut down on days suspended first.

I think that all the Pacers need to cut down on the technicals.

No reason at all to complain and argue with the ref because in the end there is no chance of the ref changing there minds, the players just need to shut up and go and try and make a good play on the other end of the court and not bother the refs. [Not just the Pacers need to do this but all the players in the league should think about this.]

I think that every now and then it is needed to get a technical to get the team energized, either the coach or a player but those are fewer than far times that technicals are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I think that every now and then it is needed to get a technical to get the team energized, either the coach or a player but those are fewer than far times that technicals are needed.
    I'll just add on here...
    You have to 'call your shots' and use your head with the grousing to the officials. They are only human. If you complain every single time, not only with they get tired of hearing it and more likely to 'make a point' (call a technical or blow the whistle on something they might otherwise overlook), but you are less believable if you complain all the time.

You can also complain and still be respectful instead of looking like a whiney clown or a pouty 3 year old.

Continually attempting to show the ref up with gain nothing and could cost the team.

Calling your shots on complaining, doing it respectfully, and ONLY when you have a valid issue, cannot hurt at all. Even IF you think you have a valid complaint every trip up the floor you can't continually complain because at a point it should be obvious the ref is going to let it go on.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thats teamwork."

-John Wooden

Anyone know where we can maybe find video clips or a full transcript of Rons interview today

T's were never Ron's problem.

Good words from Ron, but we all know he knows how to say the right thing, we'll just see if he follows through.

Now here is my question.

If Ron does follow through & has a productive career from here forward is there anybody who will give David Stern any credit for laying down the tough love?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Some pictures of Ron from todays practice

Where did you get those pics? Are pics of anyone besides Ron (maybe David )?

Interesting point Peck. If Ron really is a changed man, then maybe jumping into the stands that night was the best choice he would have ever made.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Where did you get those pics? Are pics of anyone besides Ron (maybe David )?

Interesting point Peck. If Ron really is a changed man, then maybe jumping into the stands that night was the best choice he would have ever made.
    He got them off ESPN. No David.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    Good words from Ron, but we all know he knows how to say the right thing, we'll just see if he follows through.

Now here is my question.

If Ron does follow through & has a productive career from here forward is there anybody who will give David Stern any credit for laying down the tough love?
    That means you are assuming Ron changed because of the suspension. An argument can be made that he was changing before that.

I'm not saying you couldn't be dead on, but could be Stern cost us a title last year too. So Bah Humbug to Avid Tern!

avid (vd) adj. 1. Having an ardent desire or unbounded craving; greedy: avid for adventure.

tern1 (trn) n. Any of various sea birds of the genus Sterna and related genera, related to and resembling the gulls but characteristically smaller and having a forked tail. [Of Scandinavian origin.]

Quote Originally Posted by Peck

Now here is my question.

Tough love? Get real. His motivation was the same as it always has been and always will be: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$

Players going in the stands and beating up PAYING FANS are any sports worst nightmare. Plain and simple.
    I don't imagine he gives a rats arse about Ron Artest.