Thread: Artest returns (AP Article)

Default Artest returns (AP Article)

Hadn't seen this posted yet:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2105633

Pacers star wants to cut down on technical fouls
    Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Ron Artest arrived at the Indiana Pacers' rookie-free agent camp Monday pledging to be a smarter player focused on helping his team win an NBA title.

The star forward spoke to the local media for the first time since a Nov. 19 fight in Detroit resulted in a nearly season-long suspension. That night, Artest went into the stands at The Palace and attacked a Pistons fan after he was hit with a cup of beer.

Artest said he wants to cut down on technical fouls and remain in control to help his team. He called his tendency to draw technicals "playing against your team.

"As you get older, you get a bit more wise," he said. "Probably next year, you'll see an older guy, an older player. Like everybody else, as they get older, they mature."

Artest knows he's being watched.

"I'm a ghetto-type guy," he said. "I'll be ghetto for the rest of my life. But at the same time, there's a lot of kids who look up to me. For that, I'll change."

The former All-Star and NBA defensive player of the year was averaging 24.6 points and 6.4 rebounds per game in seven games when his season was cut short.

Artest said it was his decision to join the team for the camp and for the Minnesota Summer League that starts Friday.

"He's been waiting a long time to get the uniform back on, and to be a part of the team," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "This is a beginning. We feel it's significant."

Carlisle said Artest looks ready to play.

"He looks good," Carlisle said. "He's in shape. We know he's worked hard."

Artest said he knows he'll face a strong effort from opponents in the summer league.

"I'm sure somebody's going to try to make a name for themselves," he said. "I'm going to try to make a name."

Artest said he was proud of the way the team played in his absence. The Pacers finished 44-38 and reached the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs.

"We were a top-eight team," he said. "We finished in the top eight after all that happened to us. The Pacers showed a lot of heart."

He feels he owes the Pacers for what happened against the Pistons in one of the worst melees in U.S. sports history.

"They all stood by me, and I'm going to do the same for them this year," he said. "I want to play well for my teammates, and I want to win a championship.

"It's my job to focus on basketball," he said. "It's my job to put the team first."

Artest said he thought "everybody hated" him after the Detroit incident, but was happy that Indiana fans stood by him.

"They just showed a lot of support, all types of support," he said. "They said, 'Keep your head up.' It's a great feeling."

Artest said he is looking forward to returning to Detroit for his first game there since the brawl.

"It's going to be a lot of excitement," he said. "Sometimes, you go to away games and you've got to find a way to get your energy up. I'm sure my energy will be up."

One visible change in Artest was his jersey number. He donned number 15 after changing from 91 last season and 23 the season before that. He had worn number 23 in honor of Michael Jordan, then 91 in honor of former Chicago Bull Dennis Rodman.

Artest wore number 15 in high school and at St. John's.

Default Re: Artest returns (AP Article)

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...RTS04/50711012

Artest says he's going to make changes

By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com

Ron Artest’s uniform number will change again. He plans to make some personal changes, too.

But only within certain limits.

“I always knew I’m a ghetto-type guy,” the Indiana Pacers forward said Monday. “I’m from the ‘hood. I’m going to be ghetto for the rest of my life. At the same time there’s a lot of kids out there that look up to you. For that I’ll change.”

Artest conducted a formal interview with the local media for the first time since last Nov. 19. NBA commissioner David Stern suspended him for the remainder of the season, a total of 73 games, for rushing into the stands at the Palace of Auburn Hills after he was hit by a beer thrown by a fan.

Artest is practicing with the Pacers’ summer league team, and will join it in the games in Minneapolis beginning Friday.

Artest will wear No. 15 next season, the same number he wore in high school, college and early in his NBA career. He switched to No. 23 in honor of Michael Jordan, and then to No. 91 last season, in honor of Dennis Rodman.

He planned to wear jersey numbers honoring all of the Bulls starters from their championship teams of the 1990s, but has discarded that idea.

“Enough of that,” he said. “I’m going to stay with 15 from now on.”

Artest had to receive special permission from the NBA to change his number again. League rules require players to keep a number for at least four seasons.

Artest said the most difficult part of his suspension was “not being there for my team,” adding, “my team has supported me through thick and thin.”

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He planned to wear jersey numbers honoring all of the Bulls starters from their championship teams of the 1990s, but has discarded that idea.
    Does he not realize he plays for the Pacers??

And of course, Bruno's article from today:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/artest_050711.html

Artest Going Back to Basics

By Conrad Brunner | July 11, 2005 At first glance, little appears to have changed about Ron Artest, until you get to the jersey. It bears No. 15 again.

As much as anything he can say or do, the symbolic gesture represented by the return to his numeric roots could signal an important step for the Pacers' forward.

"I'm back to high school and college, back to my regular number," he said Monday afternoon. "Enough of the games."

Prior to wearing No. 91 in honor of Dennis Rodman for his truncated 2004-05 season, Artest donned No. 23 as a tribute to Michael Jordan for the previous two campaigns. But coming off the low point of his career, returning from a suspension that cost him 74 regular-season games, all of the playoffs and a proportionate chunk of his image, Artest appears ready to get back to basics.

Speaking to the Indianapolis media for the first time since the events of Nov. 19, 2004, in The Palace of Auburn Hills, Artest said he was anxious to put the 2004-05 season in the past and return to the business of competing for an NBA championship.

"Things happen and you move on," he said. "You learn from your mistakes. I'm a ghetto-type guy. I'm from the 'hood. I'm going to be ghetto for the rest of my life. But at the same time there's a lot of kids out there that look up to you and, for that, I'll change."

Artest, as has been his custom in recent years, will spend this week working out with the rookies and free agents gathered in Conseco Fieldhouse for the Pacers' summer minicamp. For the first time, however, he will join the team for summer league play, a stretch of five games in five days that begins Friday in Minneapolis.

Considering he has been banned from organized basketball nearly eight months, it is a welcome opportunity.

"I want to play with the team and not take possessions off, because these guys have got to show the coaches that they can play," Artest said. "So I'm going to play as hard as I can. I definitely want to get in shape because this is the best shape you can get in, playing basketball. This is definitely conditioning. I want to play but these guys need jobs, too, so I don't want to take away from them."

The former Defensive Player of the Year and NBA All-Star clearly will be the best player on the floor on most every occasion, but he's not participating for the opportunity to show what he can do.

It's about taking another step towards regaining his conditioning and knocking the rust off his game.

Burke

"I'm going to manage Ron Artest like any other player," said assistant Dan Burke, who along with Chuck Person is coaching the summer league team. "We haven't talked about the minutes but I can tell you it's not about Ron getting 30 points or 20 points, it's about Ron playing in a team structure. With his ability he should be able to make the game easy for some of these guys that are trying to make the team or trying to get jobs overseas. Ron should focus on playing his game and staying strong, emotionally and mentally, and playing hard."

Artest, who said he has been overwhelmed by the support he has received from fans, said he understands what must be done but is trying not to let the events of last season affect a fundamental change in the way he plays the game.

"I'm the same guy that I was last season, the same guy I was 5 years ago but as you get older, you get a bit more wise," he said. "So probably next year, you'll see an older guy, an older player; like everybody, as they get older, they mature. …

"I play basketball and get a little bit intense. I've got to be able to stay intense and at the same time put my team first. You don't want to get technical fouls and things like that because it's like you're playing against your team and you don't want to do things like that."

The team concept was a recurring theme in Artest's statements, from his desire to help the rookie and free agents this week to the role he intends to play with the Pacers in 2005-06.

"The individual stuff will take care of itself," he said. "We've got to be able to play team ball. I learned a lot watching the Pacers, the way they stuck in there and hung together. That's a big part of winning."

As for his memories of Nov. 19, Artest has a tape of the game and likes to watch one segment in particular.

"I had 17 in the first quarter," he said. "I watch the first quarter a lot. That was beautiful."

It was late in the fourth quarter that Artest's season – and the team's championship aspirations - came crashing to a premature end. Those events, he feels no need to rewind because others so frequently do it for him.

"I see that all the time," he said.

For the Pacers, it is a scene that cannot repeat.

"I think things can't really happen anymore," Artest said. "Things just can't keep happening."

Franchise CEO and President Donnie Walsh was clear in his expectations.

Walsh

"I'm sure it was a difficult year for him and he doesn't want that to happen again," Walsh said. "It's been a long year but I'm sure it's been a year in which he can reflect on his career and where he's going with it.

"We know that it can't (happen again), so I hope that he (knows). I'm sure he does."

He seems to.

Though Artest said he doesn't have anything to prove this season, he does appear to be taking a simpler approach.

"Just go out there and play basketball," he said. "That's pretty much it."

NOTES: Though Jonathan Bender is expected to join the team for summer-league play, he is not participating in this week's practices. … David Harrison, who missed the final month of the regular season after undergoing minor knee surgery, is participating in minicamp drills but has not yet been cleared for full contact. … First-round pick Danny Granger also is being held out of full contact to allow his left knee, injured during his senior season at New Mexico, to mend.

Your first article had already been posted.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=13272

He seems to have matured a little bit to me. In any case, I think after hearing that, that he is capable of keeping himself together for an entire season and post season. Good news for Pacer fans..Bad news for every other team in the NBA.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I didn't know about Granger's knee. Just a tiny bit disturbing.

I sure hope Hulk is in shape. I got tired just watching him run up the court last year. He huffed and puffed so much, it was just so obvious of a problem.

Ron sorta sounds the same to me: great heart, a little bit off, the slight smell of craziness. "I'm gonna make a name, too." "I'll always be ghetto."

As an Artest fan, my comfort is in the basic psychological conditioning he's endured--like Pavlov's dogs. Next year, in the heat of the moment, I'm hoping his kneejerk reaction will be to avoid conflict.

17 in the first quarter? I forgot all about that. The guy really does have the potential to be a monster. (You know what I mean . . . on the court

Harmonica

Franchise CEO and President Donnie Walsh was clear in his expectations.

"I'm sure it was a difficult year for him and he doesn't want that to happen again," Walsh said. "It's been a long year but I'm sure it's been a year in which he can reflect on his career and where he's going with it.

"We know that it can't (happen again), so I hope that he (knows). I'm sure he does."
    Sounds like Donnie's trying to convince himself more than anything else.

#15 is going to be a BEAST next year. MVP status

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    #15 is going to be a BEAST next year. MVP status
    Nice sig!
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I agree

Gamble

Anyway you look at it where the Best in the East. NOw if we could
    only get better!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    Your first article had already been posted.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=13272
    Yeah, I saw that. My apologies.