Thread: Pistons set to FIRE Larry Brown?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pistons set to FIRE Larry Brown?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-279489c.html

Rumors swirl on Brown firing

BY FRANK ISOLA
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
    Isiah Thomas' protracted wait for Larry Brown may prove to be Thomas' smartest play yet as Knicks' president. In recent days, various reports have surfaced that Pistons owner Bill Davidson will fire Brown and it sounds as if Brown is daring Detroit to do just that. The Knicks, according to a league source, are more optimistic than ever they will have a real chance of hiring Brown as their coach.

"The things going on in Detroit are legitimate," the source said. "It sounds like Davidson wants to fire him."

It had been rumored for weeks that the Pistons would look to remove Brown and replace him with Flip Saunders. Sports Illustrated reported on its Web site that Brown will be fired. Brown continues to say that he wants to return to the Pistons, but he has yet to inform the team if he'll be healthy enough to coach an entire season. Brown missed 17 games in 2004-05 because of hip surgery and subsequent bladder problems.

"I'm planning to be there on Oct. 3 (the opening of training camp)," Brown told The Detroit News. "My dilemma is, I can't tell them 100% I'll be ready because the doctors don't know and I don't know. But if the Pistons can't wait, let me know, don't put this stuff out there. I mean, what would you do if you were me?"

There is no guarantee that Brown will join the Knicks if he leaves the Pistons. His health concerns could keep him sidelined next season or force him to retire. There is also the possibility of Brown becoming president of the Cleveland Cavaliers. Brown met with Cavs owner Dan Gilbert about that position during the playoffs. Cleveland eventually hired Danny Ferry as GM but hasn't ruled out making a deal with Brown.

The Pistons are upset that Brown's flirtations with Cleveland became public during the playoffs and they want to be certain that Brown will be available for most, if not all, of the 82-game season.

"If I was them, and they really valued me to be their coach, I'd say, 'Take as long as you can to get well and we'll figure it out,'" Brown told the newspaper. "That's what they'd do if it was a player. That's what other teams have done for coaches with health or personal issues - Jerry Sloan at Utah, Rudy Tomjanovich at Houston, Don Nelson at Dallas. This is not a made-up thing. I have a health problem."

Default Re: Pistons set to FIRE Larry Brown?

I'm sorry, but I'm enjoying this WAY too much. This could go on for the next couple months for all I care.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

The Pistons are idiots if they let Brown get away, but uf he goes to New York I definately won't be suprised. Isn't this kind of Larry's pattern?
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    I'm sorry, but I'm enjoying this WAY too much. This could go on for the next couple months for all I care.
    Me too!!!

Sports Logo

KSTAT....being the resident Pistons expert.....what's your thoughts on this?

Although as Pacer fans....most of us aren't privately smiling inside....even I ( as a basketball fan ) can recognize that this sucks for a team. I have no idea what Brown is doing here.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does quit or get fired...and then sit out for a year then return to coaching a year later.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

IIRC from earlier articles, if they fire him they owe him a whole heapa money, but if he quits they don't owe him a dime. Then again, this could just be the media spinning ANY comment around to get a story...any story. But if this is quoted accurately it does sound like he's daring them. (BTW Larry, I wouldn't be holding RudyT up as an example...bad form).
    Personally, each time he takes a job he seems to sink lower and lower in his efforts to escape it.
    Now if I'm the Piston brass and he collects all that loot and then ends up in another job before next season, well let's just say they're be another new batch of wealthy lawyers out there.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

this article is just a rehash of the SI article from last week, more or less. There's really nothing new in this one.

Personally, the sooner larry leaves and Flip takes over, the better I feel. I'm past the point of feeling sorry for Larry. He made his bed, and now he can stay there. I'm grateful for everything Larry's done for us, just like I was for Carlisle. But like Carlisle, it's time to move on. I'm very worried about letting Larry coach another year here. Too many things could go very wrong.

Then again, I've always been a huge Flip proponent ever since his Minnesota days. He's one of the more underrated guys in the NBA, X's and O's wise.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo

You think he will coach this year?

Either on a Pistons or another team?

I think he will either start off with the Pistons then bow out sometime during the sesaon ( screwing the Pistons for a year ) or will wait a year so that he can say....I had health issues and had to rest....but waited a year before moving on.

It would suck if he did the former....or decided to leave the Pistons only to land the next day with the Cavs or Knicks.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    You think he will coach this year?

Either on a Pistons or another team?

I think he will either start off with the Pistons then bow out sometime during the sesaon ( screwing the Pistons for a year ) or will wait a year so that he can say....I had health issues and had to rest....but waited a year before moving on.

It would suck if he did the former....or decided to leave the Pistons only to land the next day with the Cavs or Knicks.

I doubt management will allow him to get the chance to do that.

The Pistons's coaching situation WILL be settled by the time FAs can sign with new teams, and some big names get uct via the amnesty rule.

In the end, I have more confidence in Joe than I have fear of Larry.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

woman without a team

I can't believe the Pistons coach would want to fire him and have to pay all that money. Besides the fact he'd be firing a coach who took them to the finals 2 years in a row it just doesn't make good business sense.

I wouldn't fire him. I'd tell him he's got a contract and I expect him to honor it. If in the season he deems himself not healthy enough to coach for a few games there's always Gar Heard to step in for him. So what if it makes Kstat's head explode.

Gamble

Larry obviously wants to be fired so he can collect all that money and i think the
    owner should hold out and wait for him to breach it instead of getting screwed.
    Plus Larry is not a coach you can replace so why not ride it out. Would Larry
    leave mid season though. HOw bad would that suck for the Pistons! Who
    would coach for them then?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble
    Larry obviously wants to be fired so he can collect all that money and i think the
    owner should hold out and wait for him to breach it instead of getting screwed.
    I don't think money is an issue with Larry Brown because he would have a job a week later for the same pay or more money. When he left the Sixers he had a couple years left on his contract at about $5m per season. He settled for no money and just asked the 76ers ownership not to ask for compensation from his future employer(draft picks) if he decided to coach elsewhere.

I would imagine Dumars and Brown don't have any animosity toward each other and would do a similar type of deal. Not really a firing but just a mutual parting of ways like the 76ers situation. No buyout $$ but no compensation if he decides to coach another team. Brown doesn't owe the Pistons organization anything because he brought them a Championship. If he wanted to continue coaching he would probably have a job with the Knicks(or a team of his choice) a week later for about 6-7 million per season.

Mood

I read the title to this thread too fast and though it said "Pistons set FIRE to Larry Brown". A bit extreme if you ask me. But I can see it happening.......

According to ESPN, Joe, Larry and Mr Davidson are all meeting wednesday to settle this, once and for all.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think what's going on is that Larry doesn't want to look like the bad guy here, so he's not going to quit, plus he probably does feel healthy enough to coach, but the doctors probably aren't giving him the permission to coach.

The Pistons don't want to look like the bad guys either by firing him, and making themselves look real bad for canning a guy with bad health.

I would really want to be a fly in the room where they all meet
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanInAZ
    I think what's going on is that Larry doesn't want to look like the bad guy here, so he's not going to quit, plus he probably does feel healthy enough to coach, but the doctors probably aren't giving him the permission to coach.

The Pistons don't want to look like the bad guys either by firing him, and making themselves look real bad for canning a guy with bad health.

I would really want to be a fly in the room where they all meet
    That sounds reasonable to me.

Here you've got Larry Brown, who looked awful for flirting with another job while still having one, and one where the team is the defending champion to boot. Not good.

And you've got the Pistons, who, if they fired Brown, would have let go 2 of the best 5 coaches in the league in the past 3 years. Not good.

Maybe they're just looking for an amicable way to separate.

Gamble

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    According to ESPN, Joe, Larry and Mr Davidson are all meeting wednesday to settle this, once and for all.
    Ya i heard that on July 5 to so sorry if i don't think much will be settled.
    I think Larry doesn't want to coach for a while. He's said that
    he has other issues than medical and to me the man needs a break.
    With his contract and the way he made himself look a fool during
    the playoffs i am sure he's looking for a way out.
    I wish he would come back that way there would be no excuses for why
    the Pacers beat them this year.