Thread: NBA Trade Rumors: Kyrie Irving to Phoenix almost happened on draft night (Pacers mentioned)

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default NBA Trade Rumors: Kyrie Irving to Phoenix almost happened on draft night (Pacers mentioned)

https://fansided.com/2017/08/18/nba-...d-draft-night/ by Joe Ramano

Kyrie Irving to the Phoenix Suns has been a hot rumor since the point guard declared his desire for a trade earlier in the summer. Chris Broussard went on Colin Cowherd to detail where it all started and how the trade could have shook up the entire NBA.

Kyrie Irving wants out of Cleveland, thatís old news by now. His varied reasons have been stated in the past but most point to friction in his relationship with LeBron James being the driving factor. Chris Broussard was on Colin Cowherd and shed some light on where it may have all broken down between the two All-Star teammates.

https://youtu.be/GwRW-mZJRF8

To dive into Broussardís comments you need to go all the way back to the NBA draft.

Phoenix and Cleveland had a deal in place. It would have sent Eric Bledsoe and the No. 4 pick in the draft (eventually became Josh Jackson) to Cleveland for Kyrie Irving. The Cavaliers would then have taken the draft pick and sent it to Indiana in exchange for Paul George.

Indiana would have been able to start their rebuild fresh. The team would be centered around whoever they chose at four, probably still Jackson and big man Myles Turner. Phoenix would have received an All-Star running mate for budding star Devin Booker. Irving is also still young enough to fit into the Suns long-term plans.

The Cavaliers would have been able to reload for another shot at the Warriors. George and Bledsoe would have been more than capable enough to replace Irvingís offensive output. They are also very good defensive players that would have sewn up Clevelandís shakiness at that end of the floor.

George was dealt to Oklahoma City for Victor Oladipo and Domantas Sabonis. Bledose and Jackson remain in Pheonix while LeBron and Kyrie are still Cavs.

Broussard continued to share that the deal fell through after Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert spoke with LeBron James. Gilbert wanted Jamesí commitment long-term before pulling the trigger on the deal. LeBron refused to commit.

As Broussard discusses, you can read into that in multiple ways. Either LeBron wants to keep his options open for next season or he is already planning his exit from Cleveland for the second time. The rumors of his exit have already been shot down by the LeBron camp.

This is where Broussard said it began to break down between Irving and James. Kyrie believed that the rumors he was hearing of a trade would not have happened with LeBronís blessing. LeBron was all for keeping Kyrie but expressed that a trade like that makes his team better. Without a long-term commitment though, the Cavaliers refused to complete the trade.

It seems as though Kyrie Irving will do whatever it takes to get out of Cleveland, especially if he believes that LeBron is gone after this season. The two sat down in Miami recently to hash out this tumultuous offseason.

Cleveland and Phoenix could still strike a deal that sends Irving to the Suns in exchange for Bledsoe and Jackson. So far Phoenix management has been reluctant to include Jackson, perhaps showing that the market for Irving is no where near where Cleveland would like or expect.
    Wow
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA Trade Rumors: Kyrie Irving to Phoenix almost happened on draft night (Pacers mentioned)

So in essence, we would have traded Paul George for the #4 pick in the draft.

I don't think that deal would have been any better than what we got and for me, I would rather have Oladipo and Sabonis with Paul in OKC than the #4 pick and Paul in Cleveland.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA Trade Rumors: Kyrie Irving to Phoenix almost happened on draft night (Pacers mentioned)

Wait....How can the Cavs take on PG13's $19+ mil 2017-2018 Salary without sending anything back other than the #4 pick?

Are we sure that we wouldn't have gotten back useless Salary Cap filler in this trade?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Trade does not work without the salaries worked out
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait....How can the Cavs take on PG13's $19+ mil 2017-2018 Salary without sending anything back other than the #4 pick?

Are we sure that we wouldn't have gotten back useless Salary Cap filler in this trade?
    Kyrie and his salary would be going to PHX. Not sure how they can fit Bledsoe in though. I imagine other deals would have happened

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post

I don't think that deal would have been any better than what we got and for me, I would rather have Oladipo and Sabonis with Paul in OKC than the #4 pick and Paul in Cleveland.

For the number 4 pick in this past year's draft? I would have done that, and I predict by Christmas this season it will be obvious that the 4th pick is going to be an excellent player - much better than the two we got

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

A lot of deals 'almost happen'. Just taking a quick glance at the numbers involved here, there's more that would have been involved to make it happen. A lot more.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Looking at the Suns Salary Cap situation.....I'd think that the Suns would be taking on some of the Cavs contracts ( Frye + Shumpert ) while sending back some cheaper players and a TPE?

The TPE would then be flipped back to Indy? What I don't know is whether the Suns would have sent back $16+ mil in TPEs to the Cavs or not.

It boils down to whether the Pacers get back a huge TPE or not.

IMHO:

Dipo+Sabonis < ~ #4 + huge TPE ( which opens up the Pacers to make more moves to get back assets in return in subsequent trades )
    Dipo+Sabonis ~ > #4 + large Expiring Contracts ( which doesn't allow for the Pacers to make any real moves to get additional assets )

NOTE - I'm not sure how to do the symbol for "slightly better" or "slightly worse"....so I'm using < ~ ( to represent "slightly worse" ) and ~> ( to represent "slightly better" ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    For the number 4 pick in this past year's draft? I would have done that, and I predict by Christmas this season it will be obvious that the 4th pick is going to be an excellent player - much better than the two we got
    I really like J. Jackson and would have been pumped if we could have flipped PG for the #4. Doesn't sound like we had the choice though. Gilbert sounds like the one who screwed the pooch, which probably also explains why he was the one *****ing publicly about the Pacers return for PG.
    Danger Zone

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

ha ha , I get it , but reality is your right , Josh Jackson could end up the next Shawn Marion or he could end up the next George McCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    I really like J. Jackson and would have been pumped if we could have flipped PG for the #4. Doesn't sound like we had the choice though. Gilbert sounds like the one who screwed the pooch, which probably also explains why he was the one *****ing publicly about the Pacers return for PG.
    Yeah man, but form what I gather , it was not Gilbert, but because Kyrie found out about it, and that LeBron was actually ok with the deal, and Kyrie got his ego bruised

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    Yeah man, but form what I gather , it was not Gilbert, but because Kyrie found out about it, and that LeBron was actually ok with the deal, and Kyrie got his ego bruised
    Lebron wheeling and dealing at some point is going burn some bridges.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I would have taken the #4 for PG. Rebuild around Turner and Jackson, and cap space. I'm good with that
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I agree. Much better salary for a real nice number of years and younger too boot.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A couple thoughts on that rumor the Pacers probably would have had to take back Frye and Shumpert's contracts with the #4 pick for PG to work salary wise. Also a TPE can not be traded to a 3rd team it can only be used to take a player's contract back, by the team that acquired the TPE thru the earlier trade.

It's funny how this rumor is old news & if I, or someone else, would have brought this up nobody on here would believe it (BillS)...you'd be getting a lot of "link(s)?" Yet Joe Ramano (who?) says it & crickets/people believe it. Not saying this rumor wasn't discussed because it was.

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    It's funny how this rumor is old news & if I, or someone else, would have brought this up nobody on here would believe it (BillS)...you'd be getting a lot of "link(s)?" Yet Joe Ramano (who?) says it & crickets/people believe it. Not saying this rumor wasn't discussed because it was.
    I mean, the link is up there. Common sense dictates you don't ask for a link if they've already provided one.

The important thing to remember about these rumors we keep receiving after the fact; they don't matter.
    "man, PG has been really good."

I love how there are a hundred different versions of trades that were sure fire almost happening with almost 100 different reasons as to why they didn't. In this version Gilbert stops it, yet somehow I'm sure this is the Pacers fault.

Again I just do not understand people wanting to make trades that build superteams in our own conference let alone division. Just getting Paul away from having a potential 4-6 year run with LeBron and the Cavs makes whatever trade we made a winner for me.

As it stands now, Paul is out west and we don't have to worry about him unless we see him in the finals. The Cavs are all but imploding and it looks possible that for the first time LaBron may go west and if he does the East becomes wide open.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

27. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can't help but think with Cleveland desperate to challenge while they can we'd have been able to pull another asset out of this.
    Pacers fan since April 9th 2004 - New Jersey 80 Indiana 90.
    Went to NFL UK in London, Oct. 2016 (1 Colts game)
    Visited Indy from Nov. 11-28th 2016 (8 Pacers games, 2 Colts)
    Went to Global Game in London, Jan. 2017 (1 Pacers game)
    Visiting Indy again from Dec. 2-20th 2017 (7 Pacers games, 1 Colts)

Quote Originally Posted by Eamer View Post
    Can't help but think with Cleveland desperate to challenge while they can we'd have been able to pull another asset out of this.
    Not if Cleveland's the party that said no.
    "man, PG has been really good."

Quote Originally Posted by Eamer View Post
    But even if we could have, why would we have wanted to?

Putting a young healthy Paul George with LaBron James would build a super team in the East that most likely keeps LaBron in Cleveland. As long as health isn't an issue they easily could dominate the East for 4-6 years and of course attract other big names to team up with them. Thus making any moves or drafts we do literally irrelevant for half a decade. By that time Myles Turner is off of his rookie deal and will be ready to move to somewhere where he can win or at least be a contender and we are running on the treadmill to nowhere for years.

As it stands Kyrie is demanding a trade, LeBron's camp has already hinted he is out of there at the end of the year and basically they have already crapped all over Kevin Love by offering him up in every trade scenario so you know he's got an eye on an exit.

In other words instead of a super team it look's like the Cavs may very well turn right back into bottom feeders.

Thus leaving Boston and Toronto as the only proven good teams left. While both teams are decent neither team strikes the fear of God in you and well never probably reach the level of a Paul George, LeBron James combo.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post

I mean, what?

No Oladipo contract. No slow Sabonis or Leaf.

#4 pick! Jonathan Issac is gonna be a beast. That's the guy I wanted. Isaac and Turner would make a great PF/C combo if you want to play fast while not sacrificing size.
    First time in a long time, I've been happy with the team that was constructed, and now they struggle. I blame the coach.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

All these almost trades that were so good for Indiana and yet the bidding war never really got started, seems a bit nonsensical to me.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    All these almost trades that were so good for Indiana and yet the bidding war never really got started, seems a bit nonsensical to me.
    I agree. Seems to be quite a bit of revisionist history surrounding the Paul George saga. Not sure which colloquialism fits better here, "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades" or "if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas". In any case, I think KP got the best deal that was actually on offer and we'll yet see how the new additions fit the team moving forward.