Thread: Conrad Brunner} What are Summer League Plans?

Default Conrad Brunner} What are Summer League Plans?

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_050711.html

What are Summer League Plans?

Monday, July 11, 2005

QUESTION
    OF THE DAY
    Conrad Brunner

Q. I see that some teams are already playing in the summer league, but I havenít seen anything about the Pacers yet. I think I did see that they are going to be in Minnesota for that league but can you verify this for me? Also I have heard some names like (Danny) Granger, Ron Artest, David Harrison and possibly Jon Bender but do they have their roster set for the summer league yet? (From Patrick in Indianapolis)

A. Apologies for the lack of summer league information, but I'm back from my annual Brunner Across America Family Tour and am refreshed, recharged and ready to get back into the business of providing as much information as I can get my hands on to Pacers fans.

The Pacers began their annual rookie and free agent camp Sunday in Conseco Fieldhouse with a 19-man roster that included Artest, Granger, Harrison and John Edwards. They'll practice through Thursday, then Bender will join the team for summer league play, which runs July 15-19 in Minneapolis. The Pacers will play five games, one each against Houston, Toronto, New York, Milwaukee and Minnesota.

The presence of Artest and Bender will make this one of the most interesting summer leagues in recent history for the Pacers, and there will be quite a bit of interest paid to Harrison's recovery from minor knee surgery and its effect on his overall conditioning. Artest, of course, hasn't played since Nov. 19, 2004. Bender appeared in just seven games last season. Harrison missed the final month.

So, in addition to getting long-awaited looks at Artest and Bender, the Pacers will get a first glance at Granger, the highly-touted first-round pick from New Mexico. Second-round pick Erazem Lorbek will remain in Italy for at least one more season.

Other interesting names on the roster include Chris Thomas, a guard from Notre Dame who played locally at Pike High School; Shane Power, a former Indiana High School All-Star from Gary who played with Jamaal Tinsley as a freshman at Iowa State before transferring to Mississippi State; and Aleksander Radojevic, a 7-3 center who was a lottery pick of Toronto in 1999.

E-mail this story

foretaz

Default Re: Conrad Brunner} What are Summer League Plans?

im not sure if this has been mentioned....

but am i the only one that thinks ron playing in the summer league is one of the conditions of his reinstatement by the league....

yes..i know he hasnt played in a meaningful game since november...and how he loves to play....

but i cant help but think this is a condition of reinstatement.....see him play in this environment....call it a test run...whatever....u know guys will probably be trying to make a statement versus him....their big chance to show themselves against an allstar and DPOY....so in that respect the league might feel its a good test to see how he responds...

plus...with their ulterior motives...they also know it will draw more attention with ron being there....the marketing gurus that they are

I actually think Ron is there because the Pacers said he had to go (not the NBA). It helps get the "Ron" story over with before the start of the NBA season (at least a big portion of it) and lets the team focus on the Pacers when the NBA season finally comes around.

I don't think Ron minds though....anything to finally get back on the floor for him.

Outsider

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and Aleksander Radojevic, a 7-3 center who was a lottery pick of Toronto in 1999.
    I had to laugh when I read that.

Am I the only person who feels that Jon Bender could go a long way in re-habing is image with the fans here (at least some of us) if he would show up to some of these practices & workout & not just fly in for games?

This isn't new for him, he does this every summer. The team has to send a coach down to him to see how he is working out & see what he is up to.

Maybe some of us would get more of a feeling that the guy gave a crap if he would actually participate in something & not fly in for special guest apperances.

I'm sure he will once again show highlights in his summer league play, causing most of us to dream about him throwing down a thunder dunk on Ben Wallace. But at the end of the day it's still the same old crap. Summer league play is maybe one step above Rucker park play. So yes, he will look good, but that does not translate into NBA play. He still won't be able to set a pick, still won't be able to defend going sideways & will still look lost in anything that resembles a set play.

He'll be able to run & jump all over the summer league guys but come Nov-Dec he won't somehow be able to play because his knee hurts.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bender, who has played just 28 games over the past two seasons, again will try to prove he's healthy. He's expected to meet the team in Minneapolis. Bender will likely only play in two or three summer-league games.

This doesn't prove anything, but it doesn't make me feel any better about his ability to play a bunch of games either. (oops, sorry...this from Indy Star by Mike Wells).
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    Bender, who has played just 28 games over the past two seasons, again will try to prove he's healthy. He's expected to meet the team in Minneapolis. Bender will likely only play in two or three summer-league games.

This doesn't prove anything, but it doesn't make me feel any better about his ability to play a bunch of games either. (oops, sorry...this from Indy Star by Mike Wells).

Well five games in five days isn't what you want someone doing that is coming back from knee trouble. If he plays 3 games he will be playing every other day.

What's with Toronto?

Radojevic? A lottery pick in 1999?

Araujo? A lottery pick 2004?

Villanueva? A lotter pick 2005?

Who's running (or should I say ruining) the show there? Sounds like an Isaih Thomas apprentice.

don't forget Joey Graham before Granger at pick 16..

Quote Originally Posted by ILovethePacers
    don't forget Joey Graham before Granger at pick 16..
    Actually, I have a feeling that if both Graham and Granger were there when the Pacers picked, they would have gone with Graham. Just getting that from some of the things Bird said after the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac
    Actually, I have a feeling that if both Graham and Granger were there when the Pacers picked, they would have gone with Graham. Just getting that from some of the things Bird said after the draft.

Carlisle said they would have taken Granger at five. That more than likely means they would have taken him over Graham. Bogut, M.Williams, D.Williams, Paul, would probably have been their picks before Granger.

I got the opinion that they were hoping to get Graham, and even tried to move up to get him at ten. They weren't considering Danny at all because they thought he would be long gone.