Thread: Bird and Saras

foretaz

Default Bird and Saras

this probably falls in the category of overanalyzing....but hey...thats my inclination

saras is a very hot topic these days....especially around here....everyone knows of birds trips to europe....of him meeting up with saras....hes even publicly said that he thinks saras is the best player in europe and he would love to have him but the pacers arent in a position to make huge offers to people....

now, if someone is like alot of us, and really excited about the possibility of getting saras, then thats exactly what we want to hear...

which, as ive thought about it, gets me to thinking....is it like bird to just come out and put his cards on the table regarding an acquisition he and the team would like to make???? is it like him to speak so glowing about someone, prior to obtaining that player??? wouldnt that only have a tendency to drive that players value up?? would that not only encourage competitors of ours to go after him a bit more, if for no other reason, to up the ante??? in our haste to hear such 'great' news confirming some of our wishes, are we ignoring the obvious here???

birds track record isnt one of just throwing things out there on the table prior to doing something....if anything hes made a life out of being sly, coy, and downright tricky....misdirection and getting people offbalance are his trademarks.....

im beginning to smell a rat....of course this could just all be thoughts created from lack of activity and the boredom the moratorium and offseason brings...

but then again, i wouldnt be surprised if sometime after july 22 they hold a press conference announcing the signing of antonio daniels or marko jaric, etc...and say this was the player they were after all along...

Default Re: Bird and Saras

Could be, but if you are sneaky and tricky every time then people will expect that all the time. You have to tell the truth some of the time so people won't guess what you are doing.

Actually, I think Bird is very candid when it comes to off the court basketball stuff. He never sugarcoats anything and is always to the point.

Did he ever come out and say that he is interested in Sars? (I od not know this.)

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Another angle is that he really doesn't have all that much money to pay, and so his only hope is that Sarunas wants the potential champion, play with a solid team, be mananged by Larry Bird thing.

If so, then that is all about dignity and pride and ego. Therefore, Bird going public and talking about how great Sarunas is--it plays to that advantage.

Good point Foretaz. I was thinking the same thing. It will be interesting to see what pans out after the 22nd. Could we even afford Daniels or Jaric though??

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No, I think pacerwaala is exactly right.

Bird is extremely direct in his communication. The only reason he is going to tell you something about a possible acquisition would be because every other GM in the league already knows it.

It's probably no secret to anyone that Bird is interested in Saras. Heck, someof the other GMs or their scouts have probably even seen Bird at some of Saras' games. After that, it's not really a big secret anymore, right?

If you ask Bird a question, and he chooses to answer your question, you will get a straight answer. Truthful... because that's the only thing he knows. However, you might very well also get a response that he chooses not to divulge anything because he doesn't want to tip his hand. And we've seen that response before in the papers as well.

Foretaz -

It could just as well be that Bird wants his exact wishes to be circulated, so that Saras cannot be mistaken whatsoever just how important his acquisition is to Bird. If a player knows that a GM wants you that badly, and the GM happens to be an all-time legend of the sport, then you might just be inclined to overlook higher dollars and settle for something just a little less in order to play for the legend.

Gamble

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually, I think Bird is very candid when it comes to off the court basketball stuff. He never sugarcoats anything and is always to the point.

Did he ever come out and say that he is interested in Sars? (I od not know this.)
    Yes he did come out and say that he was interested in Sars. I'm pretty sure
    he came out in the Indy Star, which the writer did a special on Sars.
    To me Larry is more misdirectional on draft then in FA. Simply there
    is not to many teams interested in this guy. Only Cleveland, Boston, Trail who,
    and Dallas. All of which don't meet Sarunas requirement which is 3 mil/year,
    meaningful minutes and title contenders. If you take him for his word
    cough cough then the Pacers are the only ones that are proven to
    be on the top. Its said if we can't get sarunas then we go injuried boy
    on Chicago. Don't remember he's name bc he hasn't played for 2 years.

Bird flew to Europe to meet the guy earlier in the year in an attempt at misdirection? Er. Uh. Mmmm.

Not buying.

foretaz, I think you're confused. Donnie's the one who has been sly and used misdirection when going after players. Remember the Jalen Rose thing, etc. I could be wrong but I don't think Larry's been doing this long enough to really have a track record one way or the other. From what I can tell he's always been very direct and to the point about his intentions, perhaps to a fault.

The only possible exception to this was the Isiah Thomas thing, but even then I don't think Larry ever said anything stronger than "I look forward to working with him" etc.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Larry Bird is talking up Sarunas Jasikevicius for very simple reason. He wants him as a Pacers , he's publicly telling people this so Sarunas as his people know Larry is serious. He also points out that his hands are tied letting them again know he is limited on amount he can pay.

Sarunas , pretty much has to know how Larry feels and can afford. Bird's going public also puts a little pressure on Sarunas to back up his claims that he wants to play on a contender. Bird is telling everyone - Here is your chance Saunas.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

i think what foretaz means is the luke jackson rumor last year, which bird later admitted was misdirection (ben gordon was the real target). however, the situation with saras is different. while misdirection can be useful in the draft, i don't see how it helps in signing free agents. well ok, maybe it might mean that there's a relatively unknown european player that bird wants to convince to come over, but wants to keep away from other teams who might outbid us. that's about the only scenario where misdirection makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute
    i think what foretaz means is the luke jackson rumor last year, which bird later admitted was misdirection (ben gordon was the real target). however, the situation with saras is different. while misdirection can be useful in the draft, i don't see how it helps in signing free agents. well ok, maybe it might mean that there's a relatively unknown european player that bird wants to convince to come over, but wants to keep away from other teams who might outbid us. that's about the only scenario where misdirection makes sense.
    I can think of another. When you want someone to spend to much on a free agent you act interested. Then they have to decide if you are bluffing. Donnie has claimed to have done this before. I don't remember with who.

Diesel

I don't care who we get at point guard as long as its Antoinio Daniels, Earl Watson,Brevin Knight or Saras. We really need to be 3 deep at pg and if we can one of these guys that position will be in great shape.

Every NBA team has ample international scouting networks.... Saras isn't a secret to anyone in NBA circles, especially considering the 3 Euroleague championships that seem to follow him around. Everyone is looking for the next Dirk, Parker, Manu, Peja....Drazen Petrovic.

Nice Avy btw.... fortaz.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    I don't care who we get at point guard as long as its Antoinio Daniels, Earl Watson,Brevin Knight or Saras. We really need to be 3 deep at pg and if we can one of these guys that position will be in great shape.
    And which of those guys do you think is willing to come to Indy so he can be a third-stringer?

IndyToad
    Don't incriminate yourself