Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Colts Season Thread - Like a Camel passing through the Head of a Needle

Default Re: 2017 Colts Season Thread - Like a Camel passing through the Head of a Needle

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wish there was some way to get Indianapolis to boycott an not show up to the game Sunday to make a statement.
    That will happen naturally and pretty quickly I suspect.

Default Re: 2017 Colts Season Thread - Like a Camel passing through the Head of a Needle

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Tolzien needs to be cut within 24 hours. He has no business being on an NFL roster. I don't know how Pagano looks at himself in the mirror and collects a paycheck. Just a God awful coach.

Don't expect a half empty stadium and booing fans next week to change Irsay's mind. He is too coked up to pay attention.
    How do you know Irsay isn't the one that wants Tolzien or Ballard I mean it seems as if Chuck is going to be scapegoated here.

Don't get me wrong he's not that impressive coaching wise and needs to go but the problems with the Colts go beyond him.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    How do you know Irsay isn't the one that wants Tolzien or Ballard I mean it seems as if Chuck is going to be scapegoated here.

Don't get me wrong he's not that impressive coaching wise and needs to go but the problems with the Colts go beyond him.
    If Irsay still wants to keep Tolzien then he is not mentally sound and we should ignore this franchise until he no longer owns it.

Pagano needs to be fired regardless.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

If Irsay still wants to keep Tolzien then he is not mentally sound and we should ignore this franchise until he no longer owns it.

Oh this is definitely his last season but I don't see a midseason firing either despite the hope of many amongst the fanbase.

He should have been fired 5 minutes into the 1st quarter.

Sports Logo

I mean, it's not exactly a mystery why we spent the vast majority of our non-Polian history as a laughingstock. Polian basically told him to go sit down and let me do my job.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I can't believe cancer lost to Chuck Pagano (shamelessly stolen from reddit)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I mean, it's not exactly a mystery why we spent the vast majority of our non-Polian history as a laughingstock. Polian basically told him to go sit down and let me do my job.
    As much as I disliked Polian this is the one thing about him I do miss.

Sign Peyton Manning!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How has Pagano lasted to year 6? It just blows the mind. He's been here almost as long as Dungy lol.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

What I cannot fathom is how the staff thought Tolzien was going to be something other than what he is. It is mind blowing.
    Morris out performed Tolzien every time in games. It speaks to very poor judgement. Not just in that decision but who knows how many others. Like reviewing the touchdown.
    What about blitzing a young QB? Bring the house occ if you have too. Goff was almost never hurried. That puts way too much pressure on your DB's.
    On the positive side the run defense was not horrible.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I have to say.... the team managed to be worse than expected. And for a team expected to lose, that's saying something.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    How has Pagano lasted to year 6? It just blows the mind. He's been here almost as long as Dungy lol.
    Probably would've been canned had it not been for #ChuckStay

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

I usually don't like Gregg Doyel but he's spot on here.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...ing/645793001/

Doyel: The Colts have no idea what they're doing

LOS ANGELES – The Indianapolis Colts stink, and not just the players on the field for that 46-9 loss Sunday to the Los Angeles Rams in their 2017 NFL opener. The whole damn franchise stinks, starting with the owner and oozing downhill, as this sort of excrement tends to do.

The front office stinks. The coaching staff. The scouting department. The players? Bless their hearts, yes. The players stink, too.

A loss like this, it goes looking for people to blame and it does not go wanting. The difficulty is deciding where to start. Quarterback Scott Tolzien was terrible, but you don’t start there. Tolzien has been something less than an NFL quarterback for years, and he stayed in character Sunday from his first pass of the game: an interception the Rams returned for a touchdown. He threw a second pick-six, and flirted with a third and a fourth, before being benched for Jacoby Brissett.

Chuck Pagano just said the Colts lost to the 49ers. They played the Rams.

Tolzien’s amateurish play Sunday – quarterback rating: 33.8 – was as predictable, if not as uncommon, as a lunar eclipse. Where were General Manager Chris Ballard and coach Chuck Pagano looking this summer when they chose Tolzien over Stephen Morris? Directly into the sun.

OK, that’s not the real answer. The real answer is even dumber.

While Morris was fabulous for a second consecutive year of preseason games, Ballard said last week that the job went to Tolzien because he was better than Morris in offseason OTAs and again in the early practices of training camp. And Pagano on Sunday said he “would never second-guess” that decision, because Chuck Pagano is nothing if not reliably prone to say things that sound blatantly untrue.

No, this loss wasn’t Tolzien’s fault, though he did try to take the blame for it. To his credit, he acknowledged that football “is a team effort, but I certainly want to own this” defeat. To Pagano’s credit, he accepted blame for this loss on multiple occasions, even as he referred to the Rams as "the 49ers." To the credit of star receiver T.Y. Hilton, who fumbled his first catch of the season as he was diving to avoid contact – read that again – he tried to take the blame as well, saying: “I fumbled. It started with me.”

Colts QBs Scott Tolzien and Jacoby Brissett talk to the media after the team's 46-9 loss to the Rams. Matt Kryger/IndyStar

Who’s right? They’re all right. A loss like this, a loss in need of a mercy rule given that one team belonged in Little League, it’s too heavy for any single set of shoulders. It falls on offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski, who called two goal-line rushes, power running plays, with his power back – Robert Turbin – on the sideline. And after those two carries by home-run threat Marlon Mack resulted in a loss of 1 yard, Chud put in Turbin … and called for Tolzien to throw it. Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson, who delivered the pick-six on the Colts’ first pass of the game, might’ve had another had he hung onto this amateurish toss by Tolzien.

This loss also falls on defensive coordinator Ted Monachino, who either chose converted safety T.J. Green to start and play most of the game at cornerback – or yielded that decision to Pagano, when what Monachino should have done was offer to resign before letting someone as lousy as T.J. Green undermine his defense.

Indianapolis Colts coach Chuck Pagano goes through everything that went wrong in their 46-9 loss to the Los Angeles Rams. Matt Kryger/IndyStar

And make no mistake: T.J. Green is lousy. Moved from safety midway through the preseason because all he'd consistently done there since last season was miss tackles and deliver cheap shots, Green missed a tackle early in the second quarter when Rams running back Todd Gurley was fighting for extra yardage near the goal line. With Gurley’s entire body as a target, Green went for a cheap shot – he targeted Gurley’s head – but glanced off Gurley’s helmet, allowing the Rams running back to fall forward, into the end zone for a touchdown.

Oh, and Green was in coverage on Rams receiver Cooper Kupp’s 18-yard TD catch that gave the Rams a 24-3 lead. At the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Kupp ran the 40-yard dash in 4.62 seconds. Green ran it in 4.34 seconds. On the touchdown in question, Kupp was wide open because he was running away from Green.

Don’t ask me to explain that. Still can’t believe I saw it.

Can’t believe what happened on the Colts’ second series, either, after Tolzien completed a short pass to Marlon Mack and Mack sprinted toward the end zone. When 5-8, 190-pound Rams safety Lamarcus Joyner approached near the goal line, he nudged the 5-11, 210-pound Mack pushed out of bounds. It was a soft play by Mack, a play the Colts have become famous for in recent years as their blowout losses have mounted – and then it became something much worse.

Because Chuck Pagano didn’t challenge the official ruling that Mack was pushed out of bounds before reaching the end zone.

No, Pagano was too busy hurrying his next play onto the field – a power rush that Chudzinski gave to speed back Marlon Mack, who had just demonstrated that power is not his thing. With the Rams unable to substitute, Pagano was looking for a personnel mismatch, and he found one: His personnel was outmatched.

Pagano outsmarted himself, the only NFL coach I’ve ever seen him outsmart, and afterward said that whole sequence was on him.

And it was. But other sequences were on the defense, which put almost no pressure on Rams quarterback Jared Goff (career-best 117.9 quarterback rating) and allowed multiple Rams receivers to run wide open. The defense has been completely remade from the Colts’ 2016 opener, literally 11 new starters, which means that’s on the general manger who put the unit together. And his name isn’t Ryan Grigson.

Just about everything went wrong for the Indianapolis Colts in their 46-9 loss to the Los Angeles Rams. Scott Horner/IndyStar

The Colts offensive line, meanwhile, allowed four sacks and nine quarterback hits in a game where they attempted just 21 passes. It was this past week when Pagano had decided “I’ve never felt better about an offensive line,” but again, that’s what he does: He says things that simply don’t sound honest. Pushed on that piece of Pollyanna a few days ago, Pagano doubled down:

“Never felt better,” he said again. “You guys can write it. You can put it on the record and hold it to me.”

Done. And now let's move on and remember what Colts owner Jim Irsay had said this summer about the biggest problem of the Andrew Luck era: his lack of protection.

“I’m telling you,” Irsay said in June, “the offensive line is fixed.”

I'm telling you something else: The people who run this team, from the owner on down, have no idea what they’re seeing, saying or doing.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Probably would've been canned had it not been for #ChuckStay
    I tend to agree. I think he's gotten a ton of mileage out of it.

It's easy to pick on the shortcomings so I'm going to list some of the positives from this game:
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    It's easy to pick on the shortcomings so I'm going to list some of the positives from this game:

They only allowed 63 yards rushing? Maybe because passing was so easy.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

We've been blown out an alarming amount of times under Pags. Back when Luck was playing, there were also a lot of games where we got behind big early, then Luck and the offense pulled out insane comebacks (Chiefs playoff game is the most notable example).

How is this guy still the coach lol.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Have you seen the Jaguar's drafts?
    They can't be that much worse than the Colts. Imagine if the Colts didn't have Manning, Luck, and some old early Polian holdovers who produced late into their careers (Wayne, Freeney, Mathis).

I saw an amazing stat on Twitter: the Colts have faced a double digit deficit 40 times under Pagano. FORTY!!!

They have lost by 35 or more points SEVEN times under Pagano.

This franchise is a raging Category 5 s**tstorm. Irsay hasn't learned that when he meddles the franchise suffers. Hire someone to run the team and get the hell out of the way!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

I've been ready for the daughters to take over for years now.

Give it time if the Colts continue to fade into irrelevancy it will be like it used to be around here when they barely could sell out a game.

Plus NFL games are expensive you can get a worthwhile experience watching it on TV than being at the game.
    I think they'll still do fine on attendance. Colts games are still fun to attend. People will just drink a lot and socialize without paying too much attention to the game. Then they'll go eat downtown afterwords. It's still a fun Sunday even if the team is crap.

Sports Logo

Luck officially out week 2

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who gives a **** Chuck. Brisett still outplayed Tolzien.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulGeorgeForPresident For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I think they'll still do fine on attendance. Colts games are still fun to attend. People will just drink a lot and socialize without paying too much attention to the game. Then they'll go eat downtown afterwords. It's still a fun Sunday even if the team is crap.
    Yeah a lot of people said that about the Pacers years ago and yet you still see a significant contingent of the opposing fanbase in our games. Bulls games come to mind.

I guess the teams may not care as long as they get their money but at some point people will become apathetic if not already except for the long time fans the younger crowd who's been used to Manning/Luck will take their attention elsewhere if the Colts don't produce.