Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat moving to mobile-only entry for games

Default Heat moving to mobile-only entry for games

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/11/...try-for-games/

What paper ticket? Heat moving to mobile-only entry for games.

This is just another reason your grandfather doesnít want to go to NBA games anymore ó the man canít figure out how to answer a text and you want him to use a mobile ticket?

The Miami Heat will do away with paper tickets and are moving to mobile phone entry only at American Airlines Arena starting next season, reports Darren Rovell of ESPN.

The Miami Heat announced Thursday that fans who attend home games this upcoming season will only be able to get through the gate with tickets on their phones.

In doing so, the team becomes the first in the NBA with mobile-only entry. Other teams, like the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Cleveland Cavaliers, have mobile-only ticketing, but they permit fans to use a driverís license and credit card to get in.

Fans who walk up to Miamiís AmericanAirlines Arena on game night will receive Heat tickets on their phones, even though they are at the box office.

Itís a big leap, last year about a third of the people attending Heat games used mobile entry.

These mobile tickets are supposed to be still transferable, but itís not difficult to imagine there could be glitches with that. The Heat say they think this will cut down on ticket fraud and lets them know more about the person entering the arena.

A number of teams ó across multiple sports ó prefer season ticket holders to use mobile entry and ask them to pay a little more for printed tickets. Still, those paper tickets ó with pictures of players on them ó were souvenirs for many. Itís not the same with a mobile ticket.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Default Re: Heat moving to mobile-only entry for games

I am fine with using my phone for the ticket....but I am sure that there are a lot of Non-Techie people that won't like to use it.

Not everyone uses their phone for everything....cuz not everyone is tech savy enough to go paperless.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Someone is out of their mind. Shoot I still use a flip phone and would be one of those as described in the story. I admit we only average 5 to 10 games anymore but that setup would completely stop the Mrs. and I from going. Hmm... I wonder how many ticket taker jobs will be eventually eliminated?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

_________________________ RamBo_Lamar's Avatar

I hope this backfires on them in spectacular fashion, even though
    it would probably be good for getting rid of street scalpers.
    Last edited by RamBo_Lamar; 08-12-2017 at 08:06 AM.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

The fans in the lower level already have a hard time getting there on time, and now you do this to them?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deadshot For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nothing like alienating customers... I'll be surprised if they don't have a means for scanning paper tickets by Christmas. You may have to wait in a line or pay extra but there will be a way for them to get Miami's version of Mr. & Mrs RWB's money.
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 08-12-2017 at 08:21 AM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am fine with using my phone for the ticket....but I am sure that there are a lot of Non-Techie people that won't like to use it.

Not everyone uses their phone for everything....cuz not everyone is tech savvy enough to go paperless.
    I don't consider myself to be "non-techie" at all, but I prefer a flip phone (as RWB says below). I use my phone for calls, and that is all. If I want to go online I use my laptop or tablet. Have no need for a "smart phone". Always tell people to call me, don't text me, I won't answer a text.

I won't accuse them of "class warfare" or anything crazy like that, but I will say they are being a bit un-thoughtful (is that even a word?) in this. I will say it seems Miami may be a bit full of themselves at times.

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Someone is out of their mind. Shoot I still use a flip phone and would be one of those as described in the story. I admit we only average 5 to 10 games anymore but that setup would completely stop the Mrs. and I from going. Hmm... I wonder how many ticket taker jobs will be eventually eliminated?
    Last edited by Tom White; 08-12-2017 at 09:24 AM.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

And at one point, everyone had a regular tube TV in 480P. Times change. Keep up with them or get left behind. Even Mr. Dweeb himself - Andrew Luck - got rid of his flip-phone. It's 2017 - not 1997.

Nothing really to get heated (No Pun Intended ) over here. They will likely change their plan and go with the "EZ Pass" or "I-pass" model. The mobile lines will be express and the paper lines will take longer and staffed with fewer people and metal detectors. Everyone will be able to stay in their comfort zone...but the paper users will just be in it for much longer on game day lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    I too also use a flip phone. I still have a landline too.

I only have a cell phone so I can be reached in case of emergencies and outside of any calls I make outside my home I rarely use it.

Its prepaid too so I save so much money with this.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Flip Phone --

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

I don't get why it bothers people if someone owns a flip phone its not as if you're paying their bill.

Maybe I'll end up being forced to go to a smart phone that I would barely use but until then... if it works that's enough for me.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

On my last flight, I checked in early on my phone. Then I went to the website prior to the flight and was unable to get my tickets to come up on my phone. I had to go to the desk and get paper tickets. I swore then and there that I will always use paper tickets from that moment forward.

This is a stupid rule. There's no way this is going to last, and certainly every team won't be doing something as dumb as this.
    #DBAP

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    On my last flight, I checked in early on my phone. Then I went to the website prior to the flight and was unable to get my tickets to come up on my phone. I had to go to the desk and get paper tickets. I swore then and there that I will always use paper tickets from that moment forward.

This is a stupid rule. There's no way this is going to last, and certainly every team won't be doing something as dumb as this.
    And this is why I find it rather shortsighted. I think people need to learn to not rely on technology so much there will be a day when it won't work and you need a backup.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

The Cubs have done this starting this season and it seems like there has been zero issues. Has never been a problem for me whenever I have gone to Wrigley this year, and there doesn't seem to be longer lines or people having issues getting in.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I don't get why it bothers people if someone owns a flip phone its not as if you're paying their bill.
    The phone doesn't bother me. It's their owners wearing it as a badge of honor or something that bothers me. I don't get it. Why be proud or boastful that you're using archaic technology ?? Still drink un-pasteurized milk too ??

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    The phone doesn't bother me. It's their owners wearing it as a badge of honor or something that bothers me. I don't get it. Why be proud or boastful that you're using archaic technology ?? Still drink un-pasteurized milk too ??

Maybe they prefer to have a flip phone?

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

And at one point, everyone had a regular tube TV in 480P. Times change. Keep up with them or get left behind. Even Mr. Dweeb himself - Andrew Luck - got rid of his flip-phone. It's 2017 - not 1997.
    Well then, you keep your toy and I'll keep mine. What works for one person may not be what another person likes. I've had two smartphones and hated them both. Just don't try to tell me what I should or should not like.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Opinions, one way or another, are fine. But you are starting to border on smart *** now.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Mood

decision made by a group of millennials, surely.

I consider myself tech savvy, but i would refuse to use my smartphone to supply them with whatever else they try to get out of my smart phone (which isn't smart at all keeping data to itself)
    Now i would never visit a Heat game anyway so I'm in no danger.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    I consider myself tech savvy, but i would refuse to use my smartphone to supply them with whatever else they try to get out of my smart phone (which isn't smart at all keeping data to itself)
    Now i would never visit a Heat game anyway so I'm in no danger.
    This is personally why I think the switch was made well an underlying reason at least. A paper ticket won't present such an opportunity but it would protect the fan.

Hope the Pacers never do this.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Hope the Pacers never do this.
    I think the Heat will be the test dummy in this particular experiment if it goes well and no issues it will be only a matter of time.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Who do you hang out with that boasts they have a flip phone? I can't remember any particular time I personally have felt the urge to do something like that.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post: