Thread: Atlanta maxing on Joe Johnson

Default Atlanta maxing on Joe Johnson

player personnel source in the NBA's Eastern Conference tells us that the Atlanta Hawks not only intend to offer Suns restricted free agent guard Joe Johnson a maximum contract offer on July 22, there are people within the Hawks organization saying they're going to end up getting him.

And a Western Conference source tells us that the Cleveland Cavaliers will turn their attention to Johnson now that Michael Redd has agreed to return to Milwaukee.

That has to be a scary thought to the rest of the NBA, because a 24-year-old Johnson could play Scottie Pippen to the 20-year-old LeBron James' Michael Jordan.

The exact contract could be worth between $68 million and $72 million for a five-year deal, which is what all other teams can offer Johnson.

The Suns could offer around $90 million for six seasons, but we hear the offer they have made is for six years and about $60 million.

That ultimately doesn't matter if the Suns are serious about matching all offers, which they would have seven days to do.

One source told us that most teams are convinced that the Suns will match, but perhaps Atlanta and Cleveland believe that the Suns are bluffing in attempt to get Johnson for less money.

However it plays out, if the Suns are going to keep him, they're going to pay a lot more than the $50 million for six years they could have locked him in for last summer.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...p2main0708.html
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Atlanta maxing on Joe Johnson

The cavs are out of the picture. No need for a SG with Hughes on board.

Joe Johnson is good, but he is not a max contract player.

foretaz

actually of all the free agents out there this season....johnson is the one i would have the most interest in....and that includes ray allen....hes the best shooter of the bunch and the most versatile as well....he can play the point or either wing position and is a very good defender....hes young and it would appear he is only gonna get better....i would give him the max before any of the other free agents out there.....

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    actually of all the free agents out there this season....johnson is the one i would have the most interest in....and that includes ray allen....hes the best shooter of the bunch and the most versatile as well....he can play the point or either wing position and is a very good defender....hes young and it would appear he is only gonna get better....i would give him the max before any of the other free agents out there.....
    Agreed.

I still don't really understand what Atlanta is doing though. They're collecting a lot of these guard/forward type guys. Perhaps they are just acquiring assets, which can later be used in trades?

Either way, Joe Johnson is the guy I'd be going for as well.

JJ? Max?

That's actually worse than the contract we handed Allan Houston!

And here he was "on the bubble" on whether I cut him from my fantasy team!
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    JJ? Max?

yea but the Hawks are so desperate what else could they do?

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    JJ? Max?

cmon...u cant be serious.....

paying a 24 year old JJ 70 million for 5 years is no where near as bad as paying a 30 year old houston 100 million for 6 years....

not even close...one is heading into his prime...one was on his way out....how many 2 guards u know that play til theyre 36 that arent named reggie....jj is a great defender....allan, if pressed, maybe knows how to spell defense

PacerNthaDesert

Joe Johnson is a stud, anyone who has watched the kid play some games knows how good he is at so many aspects of the game. If for some reason Joe doesn't end up in Phoenix next year, look for the Suns to tank to about the 5th or 6th seed out West.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by PacerNthaDesert
    Joe Johnson is a stud, anyone who has watched the kid play some games knows how good he is at so many aspects of the game. If for some reason Joe doesn't end up in Phoenix next year, look for the Suns to tank to about the 5th or 6th seed out West.

here, here...

i really get the feeling some havent really watched him play that much....not saying anyone is really worth a max contract....but if anyone is, jj has to be a prime candidate.... he does it all.....and zero baggage....would artest be worth the max if he didnt have all the baggage?...jj is probably not too far off from that....right now, im not sure that i want anyone else as my 2 guard if i could choose anyone....kobe has too much attitude...so if tmac isnt a 2....then if im signing a 2 guard for 5 years, i want jj, bar none

Diesel

As of right now he hasn't proven hes a max player. Hes a highly talented player who can do alot of things but its a gamble for a team like Atlanta to pay this guy for 13 mill a year to be the face of the franchise and actually be the man when he has yet to prove he can lead a team during the course of the season and playoffs.I know he was playing with the MVP and Amare whos a future MVP so he was never really asked to carry the load. I think he has the potential to be a dominant two guard therefore be worthy of the max but as of right now he's not that type of player.

Just say no JJ...

He wasn't required to carry the Suns... but he was a "go to guy" late in games, or when they got unfocused offensively. He delivered many, many times for the Suns over the last two seasons. Nash won't be a happy camper if JJ leaves.... he has referred to Joe as one of the most highly skilled players in the league on more than one occassion, and how much fun it is playing with him.

He's got a good head on his shoulders though...hopefully he'll choose championship aspirations over being "The Man".

PacerNthaDesert

He's got a good head on his shoulders though...hopefully he'll choose championship aspirations over being "The Man".

That's what about 3 million people in Phoenix are hoping.

foretaz

u know...didnt colangelo win executive of the year or something?

he trades q rich....thereby losing any leverage or backup plans where johnson is concerned....lowballs johnson...

johnson turns to atlanta, and low and behold, gets a max offer....

does phoenix really have a choice here?

if they still had q rich, they could call his bluff....but with no back up plan...

u gotta match it.....u cant lose both of them....

not exactly executive of the year kind of stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by waxman
    Just say no JJ...

He wasn't required to carry the Suns... but he was a "go to guy" late in games, or when they got unfocused offensively. He delivered many, many times for the Suns over the last two seasons. Nash won't be a happy camper if JJ leaves.... he has referred to Joe as one of the most highly skilled players in the league on more than one occassion, and how much fun it is playing with him.

Nash didn't. When he was with Dallas he chose the money Phoenix gave him. He couldn't know Phoenix would then be a contender. It seems players always nearly always chose the money until late in their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    Nash didn't. When he was with Dallas he chose the money Phoenix gave him. He couldn't know Phoenix would then be a contender. It seems players always nearly always chose the money until late in their careers.

Very True....

Although the Suns drafted Nash and gave him a solid opportunity to start his career.... maybe he felt like it was a homecoming of sorts.

Nah..... it was probably the money.