Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like we might have hired the wrong coach. We hired a coordinator with Wilson and that didn't really work out so we went with another neophyte coordinator. What is the definition of insanity?
    You're overreacting to two things:

1) Our performance against the best team we'll face all year, that has multiple NFL players on its d-line and could win the national title.

2) Purdue's performance against a team that looked woefully unprepared and undisciplined.

Hiring Allen made perfect sense. The improvement in our defense last year was astounding. SEC schools were reportedly interested in pursuing him as their DC. Glass made a very proactive move in locking him up and moving on from a coach who had likely plateaued here. His recruiting ties to Indiana and defensive background are what we needed with 4 of our last 5 coaches being offensive coordinators.

Maybe he'll be successful here, maybe not. As far as Brohm? I'd like to see how good his team looks when the opponent doesn't commit nine false starts and fumble on the goal line twice.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Guys, it's been one game vs the #2 ranked team in the nation when we were 20 point underdogs, and we're already talking about hiring the wrong coach.

Give the guy at least a ****ing season first. I mean damn....

It wasn't like we just got outplayed the entire game. We were dead even with OSU for 3 quarters, then they dominated in the fourth. Yeah it looked promising and you hate to see it turn south so fast, but OSU has and will do things like that to teams a lot better than IU. If Allen can rip off 7-8 wins this year, then no one will care what happened vs OSU.
    Agreed. However, I think another 6-win campaign and lower-echelon bowl is a more realistic goal. If we had an O-line and RB on par with Wilson's best seasons, then I think we'd be talking taking a step forward from that baseline. In their absence we need to work hard to maintain. Don't need to backslide out of the bowl picture.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

4. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    You're overreacting to two things:

1) Our performance against the best team we'll face all year, that has multiple NFL players on its d-line and could win the national title.

2) Purdue's performance against a team that looked woefully unprepared and undisciplined.

Hiring Allen made perfect sense. The improvement in our defense last year was astounding. SEC schools were reportedly interested in pursuing him as their DC. Glass made a very proactive move in locking him up and moving on from a coach who had likely plateaued here. His recruiting ties to Indiana and defensive background are what we needed with 4 of our last 5 coaches being offensive coordinators.

Maybe he'll be successful here, maybe not. As far as Brohm? I'd like to see how good his team looks when the opponent doesn't commit nine false starts and fumble on the goal line twice.
    You're right. Never post in the heat of the moment. Louisville was incredibly undisciplined and sloppy and still dominated at the end of the game when they needed to. O$U is a far better team.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Looks like we might have hired the wrong coach. We hired a coordinator with Wilson and that didn't really work out so we went with another neophyte coordinator. What is the definition of insanity?

Didn't Kevin Wilson kind of work out though? Sure the guy is an insufferable prick by all accounts, but he upgraded the talent, sent some guys to the NFL, beat Purdue four straight times, and got us competing for bowls each year. Low bar, sure, but that is the bar at IU football.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Didn't Kevin Wilson kind of work out though? Sure the guy is an insufferable prick by all accounts, but he upgraded the talent, sent some guys to the NFL, beat Purdue four straight times, and got us competing for bowls each year. Low bar, sure, but that is the bar at IU football.
    Kinda... But the only reason it looked like he was going to work out was Tom Allen. Otherwise it was more of the same.

Also: you can totally blame Kevin Wilson for this team having no better option than Richard Lagow for two consecutive seasons. It's not like anyone expected him to draw a 5-star QB to IU, but after Lewis/Chappell/Sudfeld/etc. you have the bar set way higher than Lagow.

I'd be fine with getting some more Ramsey sprinkled into the offense, I like his mobility a lot. Supposedly he looked pretty good this spring/fall as well.

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Agreed. However, I think another 6-win campaign and lower-echelon bowl is a more realistic goal. If we had an O-line and RB on par with Wilson's best seasons, then I think we'd be talking taking a step forward from that baseline. In their absence we need to work hard to maintain. Don't need to backslide out of the bowl picture.
    And yeah I agree we need to get a running game sorted out.

My impression after meeting Tom Allen is that he's got a great attitude and mindset to be the IU football HC. He's a guy that the players will respect and want to play hard for. And what he did with that IU defense in one season tells me he's more than just talking a good game when it comes to football.
    I'm all for giving him more than 1 game to decide he's the wrong guy. He should at least got a couple of weeks!
    No seriously, regardless of how this season ultimately pans out, he deserves a real chance.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

His coaching cost us bowl appearances in 2012 and 2013. He did upgrade the roster but we still woefully underachieved. Apparently he intentionally did not bother paying attention to the defensive side of the ball. It wasn't incompetence, it was dereliction of duty. That cost us a lot of games.

Let's see what goes down against UVA. Ultimately what killed us against OSU was that we weren't able to keep up with their high athletes once our best defenders got tired. Depth is our biggest issue. I thought Lagow was fine personally, but the o-line and running game are in a down year for sure.

Romeo's going to be at Hoosier Hysteria with Darius Garland.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Let's see what goes down against UVA. Ultimately what killed us against OSU was that we weren't able to keep up with their high athletes once our best defenders got tired. Depth is our biggest issue. I thought Lagow was fine personally, but the o-line and running game are in a down year for sure.
    Sounds like UVA is expected to be near the basement of the ACC? If true, despite being on the road, a game we should win if we are to realize the the narrative Allen and staff is selling.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Addidas keeps hooking us up with some cool uniforms imo, if you haven't seen the helmet for today, IUFB twitter released a video showing it. Really nice.

Romeo's going to be at Hoosier Hysteria with Darius Garland.

Can't imagine the hype if he goes to IU. As an alumn of Romeo's high school, I'm looking forward to watching him in person several times this year.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Lagow got benched and Ramsey is lighting it up

Lagow got benched and Ramsey is lighting it up
    I'm only half able to watch. Did Lagow get benched or is it just Ramsey getting some plays like they did against OSU to change things up?
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I'm only half able to watch. Did Lagow get benched or is it just Ramsey getting some plays like they did against OSU to change things up?
    Threw an interception and Ramsey has played the next couple drives. Threw for a TD and ran for another.

Lagow got benched in the second quarter down 3-0 for Ramsey.

It's 17-3 IU at halftime.

I really think the staff prefers a mobile QB. Debord loves him some read option. Also, Lagow sucks a bag of dicks.

Ramsey is a stud.

Low key MVP of this game has been special teams. Oakes with two long field goals, nice punt returns, good coverage on kick returns. Makes a big difference.

Low key MVP of this game has been special teams. Oakes with two long field goals, nice punt returns, good coverage on kick returns. Makes a big difference.
    This is true, and the fact our QB has more touchdowns than incomplete passes.

That's targeting? That's one of the worst calls I've ever seen. I don't care if that's the rule. It's a ****ing dumb rule.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

That's targeting? That's one of the worst calls I've ever seen. I don't care if that's the rule. It's a ****ing dumb rule.
    What a ****ing awful call. Now UVA scores a gift ****ing touchdown and it's a 14 point turnaround. That is ****ing criminal.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

We'll be watching flag football within 10 years. You literally cannot hit QB's or receivers anymore.