Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

This game went how I expected IU gave OSU a good scare because Ohio State overlooked Indiana. Then they wised up and are beating them down as many thought they would.

That being said it was cool to see IU in the spotlight (well at least in football)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Kind of hard to judge a stadium's atmosphere when it is normally half full for games. This season looks like it could spin out of control quickly. Playing at Virginia won't be easy. Starting off 0-2 would basically end any chance of going to a bowl game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kind of hard to judge a stadium's atmosphere when it is normally half full for games.
    Huh? That's exactly why the atmosphere isn't great. Those two things go hand in hand.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Despite the breakthrough bravado from Allen, I think this will be a clear step back year. Long term I'm concerned the offensive personnel/performance is going to slip without Wilson.

Currently, it's an odd combo of players. There are some really talented players, but some really talent-poor specific position groups and questionable overall depth. There's the painfully obvious lack of a proven lead running back. Both lines are going to have to show major improvement for us to at least maintain our success of the last couple seasons.

Of course, it could be the level of competition makes for difficult objective comparison. UVA is no pushover either, but no OSU. Let's see how that game goes.

AND...as well as Lagow played he could have easily had two or three more TOs if not for some good fortune. That guy just can't learn that sometimes you just have to pull it down and take a sack when they've got your play called and/or have you under pressure.
    Last edited by D-BONE; 09-01-2017 at 06:26 AM.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Went to bed after we went down by 2 scores. Looks like it was the right choice.

Offensive line was trash. I've never liked Wilson's offense, which we still saw quite a bit of last night. You don't win or even stay close in a game like that by going hurry-up and trying to run more plays. It was probably the best d-line we'll see all year, but the running game was still pathetic.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Yeah, as expected and as I've been saying, I'm concerned about that offense. They have stud receivers, but...

1. They don't have a QB. I know Lagow put up pretty numbers and had a good first half. And credit to him. But his awareness is still awful and he is going to have multiple turnovers every game. He can't help but give the ball to the other team, and he still has a penchant for the absolute back-breaking turnover.

2. They don't have a RB. This is weird and kinda inexcusable at IU given their recent production of NFL RBs...

3. Their OL has really dropped off in the last few years. It was pretty disappointing last year, and looks even more disappointing this year. The guys just look soft, IMO. Far cry from the OLs that sprung Coleman and Howard to the NFL.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Huh? That's exactly why the atmosphere isn't great. Those two things go hand in hand.
    My point is that we have never seen it at its full potential to make a definitive assessment of its atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    Went to bed after we went down by 2 scores. Looks like it was the right choice.

Offensive line was trash. I've never liked Wilson's offense, which we still saw quite a bit of last night. You don't win or even stay close in a game like that by going hurry-up and trying to run more plays. It was probably the best d-line we'll see all year, but the running game was still pathetic.
    We had several drives in which the offense was on the field for about 90 seconds of real time, not even game time. The defense wore down, just like Atlanta's in the Superbowl. I hoped for a less bipolar, all or nothing approach to offense under the new staff but not much changed.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

My point is that we have never seen it at its full potential to make a definitive assessment of its atmosphere.

It's frustrating because you can tell that people really do want to care about IU football. The program just never gives the masses a reason though.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

The facilities are nice and will be even better once the south end zone expansion is finished in a year, so we are competitive with top programs in that area. But we still suck. Much smaller schools with worse facilities have 9-10 win seasons and go to bowl games. But a school in a power five conference with the tenth largest enrollment in the country is lucky to put together a six win season. So frustrating.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

The facilities are nice and will be even better once the south end zone expansion is finished in a year, so we are competitive with top programs in that area. But we still suck. Much smaller schools with worse facilities have 9-10 win seasons and go to bowl games. But a school in a power five conference with the tenth largest enrollment in the country is lucky to put together a six win season. So frustrating.
    Just another sign that I'm getting old, but when I first got to IU, neither the side or the north end zone was enclosed. Honestly, it was kind of crappy. It's a beautiful stadium now. I'm anxious to see it when the south end zone is complete. Really, all the athletic facilities are better than when I first got there. I remember going to baseball games at the massive piece of **** that was Sembower Field. Big Ten money has gone to good use

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

So true. Western Michigan and Northern Illinois have both been to BCS bowl games in recent memory. Even Ball State, who has a terrible history in football and has crappy facilities by MAC standards, has had 10 and 12 win seasons in the last decade. If we got to a point where we won 7 or 8 games most years, I'd be fine with that, but we just don't. We're the Charlie Brown of college football teams.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    So true. Western Michigan and Northern Illinois have both been to BCS bowl games in recent memory. Even Ball State, who has a terrible history in football and has crappy facilities by MAC standards, has had 10 and 12 win seasons in the last decade. If we got to a point where we won 7 or 8 games most years, I'd be fine with that, but we just don't. We're the Charlie Brown of college football teams.
    TBF, a big part of the reason IU can only win 6 games is because they play in a power conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    TBF, a big part of the reason IU can only win 6 games is because they play in a power conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't really expect us to consistently win at that level, but hell even freaking Kansas, Arizona, and Wake Forest have been to BCS bowls. It would be cool if we just had that one year where things clicked and the breaks went our way and we got to build some excitement.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I don't really expect us to consistently win at that level, but hell even freaking Kansas, Arizona, and Wake Forest have been to BCS bowls. It would be cool if we just had that one year where things clicked and the breaks went our way and we got to build some excitement.
    No doubt. But I don't get the feeling this is the year despite Allen trying to spin it that way at all costs. And that could be deadly in terms of attracting talent of the approximate level established by Wilson.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

28. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

I was at IU during the Rick Greenspan era and the facilities really were trash. The Athletics Department was barely breaking even, if it did at all.

Back to football specifically, Wisconsin and Northwestern used to be absolute garbage but got their ***** together in the 90s and have been competitive ever since, especially Wisconsin. I really think it is just personnel decisions that keep us stuck in the dumps. If other schools can figure it out so can we, eventually. The President of IU doesn't care about sports (guy is Australian) so he pretty much defers to Fred Glass, who has a mediocre record as AD.

Miles Brand really screwed IU athletically. He intentionally de-emphasized sports, antagonized Knight, and spent almost nothing on facility upgrades. The only thing I can think of that was built in the 90s was the Mellencamp Pavilion. It was during this time that other schools really started investing in their facilities and the arms race began. IU joined the fray about 15-20 years too late. I think the school also grew complacement because of the success of the basketball program under Knight. Leadership didn't realize that football, not basketball, drives the revenue and that the main focus needed to be there.

We really had terrible leadership for over a decade that damaged our athletics programs. Michael McNeely was AD for a couple of years in the early 2000s and devastated the department financially. Glass has been a big improvement, especially in his fundraising ability, and we have seen better on-field results in some areas. The men's basketball team won a couple conference titles and went to a few Sweet Sixteens, the baseball team has gone the NCAA tournament 4 of the last 5 seasons, the football team did go to a couple of bowl games, men's soccer won a national title, and the swimming and diving program has really taken off. Still a long way to go though.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 09-01-2017 at 06:03 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Before Oregon got that Nike money, their program was every bit as trash at IU's.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Before Oregon got that Nike money, their program was every bit as trash at IU's.
    And the success started with football, which helped generate the funds needed to improve the basketball program. That is how it worked at Wisconsin and Ohio State, both of which have nice, modern, pro-style arenas. Even Penn state has a nice basketball stadium despite being historically awful. IU couldn't even renovate Assembly Hall without a big donor gift. Their revenue stream wouldn't permit it.

Sports Logo

And the success started with football, which helped generate the funds needed to improve the basketball program. That is how it worked at Wisconsin and Ohio State, both of which have nice, modern, pro-style arenas. Even Penn state has a nice basketball stadium despite being historically awful. IU couldn't even renovate Assembly Hall without a big donor gift. Their revenue stream wouldn't permit it.
    the success started with Phil Knight wanting to make his school a billboard and pouring money into it. Oregon football wasn't some sorta organic get an undercover great coach and build on that and the donors will come. it'd be like Cuban saying **** it let's make IU football great or, I don't know, the Redenbacher family or NASA or something going all in on Purdue.

I still have some hope this can be a decent season. Just nowhere close to a "beat OSU/Michigan" season.

I'll be really curious to see what level of play this defense actually averages. It was so hard to tell against OSU, since volume of snaps and talent level just wore them down eventually. Early in the game, I saw a lot of great things in the secondary, and a lot of composure and synchronicity throughout the unit (which has been a problem in years past). But I also saw guys like Jacob Robinson play the entire game on the ground. So specifically, I'm not really sure what this defensive line will prove to be.

Was a bit disappointed with Tegray Scales, actually. I think he's NFL-caliber talent; he was too quiet on Thursday.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Really we need to get the trenches sorted out, I'll give us a pass on offensive line with our RT out and OSU's D-Line supposedly being absurdly good... But our defensive line can't get gashed so easily.

Really like our WR's though.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    the success started with Phil Knight wanting to make his school a billboard and pouring money into it. Oregon football wasn't some sorta organic get an undercover great coach and build on that and the donors will come. it'd be like Cuban saying **** it let's make IU football great or, I don't know, the Redenbacher family or NASA or something going all in on Purdue.
    Cuban hates the NCAA so he will never pour tens of millions into IU athletics. We were lucky he donated $5 million to build the sports media and technology center in Assembly Hall. Facilities aren't even an issue anymore at IU. It is personnel.

Looks like we might have hired the wrong coach. We hired a coordinator with Wilson and that didn't really work out so we went with another neophyte coordinator. What is the definition of insanity?

Looks like we might have hired the wrong coach. We hired a coordinator with Wilson and that didn't really work out so we went with another neophyte coordinator. What is the definition of insanity?
    Disagree here.

1. There ain't no Urban Meyer walking through that door.

2. Tom Allen did more with the IU defense in 1 season than any HC/DC has since I've watched the program. He can coach.

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Guys, it's been one game vs the #2 ranked team in the nation when we were 20 point underdogs, and we're already talking about hiring the wrong coach.

Give the guy at least a ****ing season first. I mean damn....

It wasn't like we just got outplayed the entire game. We were dead even with OSU for 3 quarters, then they dominated in the fourth. Yeah it looked promising and you hate to see it turn south so fast, but OSU has and will do things like that to teams a lot better than IU. If Allen can rip off 7-8 wins this year, then no one will care what happened vs OSU.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post: