Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 228

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

  1. #26
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31,688

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think teams should be allowed to drop the player if he's not good enough. If he's not performing academically, yes. If he's breaking the law, yes. But not if he's not good enough.
    If they were doing it habitually, that's one thing (looking at you Crean). I'll give Archie a pass considering he didn't offer the kid his scholarship and the university was still going to honor his free schooling. Given the resulting lack of interest once he hit the market, I'm not totally sure why he didn't just stay at IU and get the free education away from the basketball team.

  2. #27
    TRADE MONTA Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55 - Now, Then, Forever
    Posts
    7,863

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whoever the advisers are should be fired. They had one job...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice to see the NCAA is getting even more inflexible than they were too.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

  3. #28
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    29
    Posts
    39,901

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think teams should be allowed to drop the player if he's not good enough. If he's not performing academically, yes. If he's breaking the law, yes. But not if he's not good enough.

    Why not? You can drop a kid's academic scholarship if he can't keep his grades up.

    Gelon got offered a pretty choice deal, a free education from IU either way, he just couldn't play basketball anymore.



  4. #29

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    The gelon situation is all clappy's fault. He gave a scholarship to a guy who isn't big10 material.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:


  6. #30
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,657

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The gelon situation is all clappy's fault. He gave a scholarship to a guy who isn't big10 material.
    He probably thought the kid would silence critics about him not recruiting Indiana...
    Meanwhile, Gelon probably focused on shooting threes to please Crean versus trying to be a make himself a more rounded player that could maybe hang with the team on guile and hustle.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  7. #31
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    10,432
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think teams should be allowed to drop the player if he's not good enough. If he's not performing academically, yes. If he's breaking the law, yes. But not if he's not good enough.
    I disagree. He wasn't dropped from school. He wasn't good enough in the coaches eyes to play basketball. So if a coach gives a scholarship to a guy who isn't good enough and hasn't gotten better that person should hijack the team for four years? He got the opportunity to keep the free education, it isn't fair to someone who is qualified to walk on and not get a shot to be "fair" to a kid who isn't good enough.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:


  9. #32
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    29
    Posts
    39,901

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    They are opening the tailgate lots for IU-Ohio State at 8am. This will be the first football game these incoming freshman have ever attended at IU as students. What a world to live in, coming into IU when the football team might be....good?

    Also someone might die.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 08-23-2017 at 11:58 AM.



  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  11. #33
    Peace Dog D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sonic Temple
    Posts
    9,062

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They are opening the tailgate lots for IU-Ohio State at 8am. This will be the first football game these incoming freshman have ever attended at IU as students. What a world to live in, coming into IU when the football team might be....good?

    Also someone might die.
    Agree with the sentiment, but suggesting all caps for MIGHT BE...

    Hoping we WILL BE good - whether really good or by IU standards good - but not holding my breath.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:


  13. #34

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    Problem with IU football is, oddly, going to be scoring. They're gonna need an epic defensive season to win much. Lagow is baddddddd, and there's not a ton to get excited about around him.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:


  15. #35

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    I'm honestly pretty optimistic about our football team this year (shocker I know). Honestly we have pretty much everything on D. An outstanding secondary, we lose Oliver at LB but Covington is probably going to be just as good... D-Line returns basically everyone besides Ralph Green.

    Really QB/RB is the big question marks. Everyone SAYS Lagow has improved, but y'know it's the off-season so you're gonna get all that stuff regardless of whether he's improved significantly or not. I think Ramsey is a good player though so if Lagow isn't getting it done they can give him a shot. Morgan Ellison is a true freshmen RB too, and apparently he's been looking really good. Like possible day 1 starter good. Apparently is a similar style runner to Jordan Howard.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:


  17. #36
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    7,281

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Problem with IU football is, oddly, going to be scoring. They're gonna need an epic defensive season to win much. Lagow is baddddddd, and there's not a ton to get excited about around him.
    Westbrook and Cobbs are excellent receivers and Peyton Ramsey could get on the field if Lagow sucks. The defense will be good. I trust Tom Allen there.

    The biggest question marks are the offensive line and running backs.

    On a semi-related note, 4 star RB Ronnie Walker is announcing his college decision Monday. He is down to IU, Michigan State, and Virginia. We picked up 4 crystal balls in the last 24 hours so it is looking good.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 08-24-2017 at 10:42 AM.

  18. #37
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    7,281

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    There is chatter from knowledgeable sources that Jake Forrester could commit on his OV next month, leaving only one spot left in 2018 and 2019, assuming we hold out for Romeo.

    I don't get this. 2019 is filled with elite prospects that we have a legit shot of getting and we are going to take a three star project instead? ESPN released their new 2019 rankings and Trayce Jackson-Davis, who plays just up the road at Center Grove, is #39. Keion Brooks is #21, Watford is #10, and Matthew Hurt is #5.

    If Brooks and Davis go elsewhere because we don't have room for them, then Archie pulled a Crean-like move. Maybe he is expecting transfers.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 08-24-2017 at 02:04 PM.

  19. #38
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31,688

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    I know we're in the, "trust in Archie" honeymoon phase, but the Forrester thing I do not like.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  21. #39
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31,688

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018




    Unis for the opener. Very sharp.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  23. #40
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    7,281

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    If Forrester does commit the best case scenario is that we fill out the class with Romeo, have a couple of transfers at the end of this season, and land elite 2019 prospects. We have a great chance to get Jackson-Davis, Brooks will be a battle but we are right in the mix, and Matthew Hurt is extremely close with Race Thompson. We also offered James Wiseman, who is the #1 2019 prospect according to ESPN. It is hard to get a read on Watford. He is very familiar with the program obviously but maybe he wants to forge his own path.

  24. #41

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    Any of these recruits have any 'one and done' potential ?? Two and done maybe ?? Could be that Archie is thinking that might happen and open up a spot or 2 ??

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  26. #42

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote



    Unis for the opener. Very sharp.
    I'm loving those helmets.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:


  28. #43
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    7,281

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any of these recruits have any 'one and done' potential ?? Two and done maybe ?? Could be that Archie is thinking that might happen and open up a spot or 2 ??
    I doubt Jerome Hunter stays four years, maybe two. He is good. I don't see any of the other recruits leaving early unless they transfer. There probably will be a transfer or two and maybe Morgan will graduate early and move on. I hope not because he is an important player for us.

  29. #44
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    7,281

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    Darius Garland will take his official visit to Indiana during Hoosier Hysteria and Romeo Langford should be there as well. Seal the deal, Archie!

  30. #45
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    29
    Posts
    39,901

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    I think we'll get Watford.



  31. #46
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31,688

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we'll get Watford.
    Really early for stuff like this, but it might be a case of who commits first between Watford and Keion Brooks.

  32. #47
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    10,432
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    James Wiseman got an offer for 2019. What do we know of him?

  33. #48
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    7,281

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    James Wiseman got an offer for 2019. What do we know of him?
    Consensus top five recruit. Ranked #1 in the country by ESPN. Not sure we have a good chance of landing him though. Every top program will go after him.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 08-25-2017 at 11:27 AM.

  34. #49
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    7,281

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really early for stuff like this, but it might be a case of who commits first between Watford and Keion Brooks.
    They are pretty close in the rankings. Brooks is a borderline five star whereas Watford is top 20 according to ESPN and Rivals. Can't go wrong with either one but it always sends a message when you land a top instate prospect.

    We need at least three open roster spots in 2019 to land the big fish that will push us to a Final Four.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 08-25-2017 at 11:29 AM.

  35. #50
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    10,432
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They are pretty close in the rankings. Brooks is a borderline five star whereas Watford is top 20 according to ESPN and Rivals. Can't go wrong with either one but it always sends a message when you land a top instate prospect.

    We need at least three open roster spots in 2019 to land the big fish that will push us to a Final Four.
    I hope for IU's sake that the CBA in the NBA doesn't get amended.
    The NBPA supported a modified version of Silver’s plan, pushing to instate a “zero-and-two” rule like the one that exists in MLB. That rule would allow players to declare for the draft out of high school, but they must stay in school for two years if they do go to college.
    For now, the rules are staying the same. However, neither side is committed to keeping the current rule for the entirety of the new CBA, per Wojnarowski.
    https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/12/14/13198978/nba-cba-new-details-changes-differences-lockout
    by Tim Cato and Jesus Gomez

    I hope we go after Zion Williamson but I think he will go to UNC.

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •