Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: What I learned from watching every shot Myles Turner took last year

  1. #1
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    8,109

    Default What I learned from watching every shot Myles Turner took last year

    https://8points9seconds.com/2017/08/...hot-selection/ Author: Hunter Kuffel

    I wanted to get a feel for how Myles Turner might shoot the ball going into his third season, but I didnít want to cut corners. Hereís my (slightly crazy) solution.

    Myles Turner is a stud, no two ways about it.

    Heís got insane potential on both ends of the court, heís already produced at a high level in 152 NBA games, and heís been of legal drinking age in the US for 14 of them.

    Turner has a reputation around the league as a sweet shooter, and heís definitely earned it. However, Iím always looking for ways to stay vigilant and not let myself fall into groupthink, and when the team at 8p9s was planning Myles Turner week, I saw a perfect opportunity to do that.

    The best way to truly evaluate Turner as a shooter is to watch him shoot, and the higher the sample the better, right? I decided to re-watch every shot Myles Turner took during the 2016-17 regular season as all-in-a-row as I possibly could. This is what I learned.

    (Spoiler alert: his reputation is deserved)

    Down Low

    Letís start where Turner is reportedly working the hardest this summer: the post. Last season, Turner attempted 321 shots from less than five feet from the rim. They came about in all sorts of ways ó rolls to the rim, entry passes into post-ups, tip-ins off a miss ó all adding up to 224 makes and, if numbers mean what I think they do, 97 misses.

    Turnerís percentage from less than five feet is a sterling 69.8 percent. Only LeBron James, DeAndre Jordan and Dwight Howard had better percentages on more attempts last season. Thatís not bad company to keep.

    Itís fair to entertain that such a stellar figure exists despite Turnerís post-up game and not because of it. Heís no slouch, but his moves are very limited. Nine times out of 10, Turner will end up trying to shoot over the top of his defenderís head, which works about as often as it doesnít. If he tries to get fancy with a hook or step back, things donít always end well.



    I am by no means saying that Turner should focus on his post game more than other facets. Iíd actually prefer the opposite. That said, he should probably be able to win this matchup with force, instead of settling for a half-turnaround, half-hook mixture.

    On that note, Turner isnít known for his ability to finish through contact, and he shouldnít be. Heís not without his flashes, though. Hereís an encouraging example against the Memphis Grizzlies.



    Midrange

    This is where Turner earns his stripes and where heís most lethal. Eventually, the hope is he converts a lot of these attempts into 3-pointers, but last season, Turner was an absolute monster from 18-20 feet, to the extent that he almost crossed into efficient territory. Not quite, but almost.

    From 15-19 feet, only eight players bested Turnerís 42.7 percent on more attempts, and only one of them, Marcus Morris, wasnít an All-Star last February. Turner is really good at this.

    His shooting form from just inside the arc is silky smooth, as is his gather into it from the pick-and-pop. He and Jeff Teague made quite the pair last season, burning defenses over and over. Iíd be shocked if a single game went by where Turner didnít have at least one, maybe two, wide open looks after Teague pulled both defenders in then kicked it out to Turner above the left elbow. Itís very easy on the eyes.

    Behind the arc

    This is where most Pacers fans hope to see Turnerís game explode next season, and last year gave them plenty of reason to hope freely. After a shaky start, Turner averaged 34.8 percent from long range. Thatís slightly below league average, but for a center, itís a great sign.

    We saw real growth in Turnerís 3-point range last season. I mentioned his shaky start already (25.0 percent in October, 29.4 percent in November), but as clip after clip played, I saw him grow more and more comfortable stretching out that far. His form got cleaner, his release got quicker, and it just felt like more were going in.

    In January, he was on fire, draining an astonishing 50 percent of his 3s. Those are video game numbers, and he did it across an entire month, with gusto I might add.



    (Note: that clip is actually from December, but I just needed an excuse to include it.)

    Turner still has a lot of room to grow as a 3-point shooter, but that almost makes it even more exciting. He showed last year that he can make serious strides over the course of a regular season, so who knows where he might be this time next year?

    My biggest takeaway from this exercise? I canít wait to watch the first shot of next season.
    Sittin on top of the world!

  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    29
    Posts
    39,866

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What I learned from watching every shot Myles Turner took last year

    It will be interesting. If Myles can maintain those percentages on a higher volume, we have a big, big star on our hands.



  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,701

    Default Re: What I learned from watching every shot Myles Turner took last year

    His silky jumper is a price-of-admission shot. I could watch it for days. The Smits comparison is so obvious it feels too on the nose but there is no denying it. It fits even more if you realize that while Smits was a #2 guy on a Finals caliber team (and not just 2000), he only made 1 ASG and was never the impact level of true AS centers like Ewing or Hakeem (to be fair, they were also HOF level).

    Smits was a #2 pick, so having Myles be that makes drafting him where they did a huge win for the Pacers. He doesn't need to be an AS (maybe 1-2 times) for him to be a huge success from where he was taken and what should be expected of him. My only concern is people putting unreasonable expectations on him and then ruining his rep in their minds....a common theme in the Indy fanbase.

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    10,264

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What I learned from watching every shot Myles Turner took last year

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His silky jumper is a price-of-admission shot. I could watch it for days. The Smits comparison is so obvious it feels too on the nose but there is no denying it. It fits even more if you realize that while Smits was a #2 guy on a Finals caliber team (and not just 2000), he only made 1 ASG and was never the impact level of true AS centers like Ewing or Hakeem (to be fair, they were also HOF level).

    Smits was a #2 pick, so having Myles be that makes drafting him where they did a huge win for the Pacers. He doesn't need to be an AS (maybe 1-2 times) for him to be a huge success from where he was taken and what should be expected of him. My only concern is people putting unreasonable expectations on him and then ruining his rep in their minds....a common theme in the Indy fanbase.
    I think if Smits played in any other era other than the 90's he makes a few more all-star appearances.

  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Dutch Pacers Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    734

    Default Re: What I learned from watching every shot Myles Turner took last year

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think if Smits played in any other era other than the 90's he makes a few more all-star appearances.
    Could you say that Smits would be in the same tier as Marc Gasol?
    Yay, we don't know what we're doing as a franchise! thanks PG!

  10. #6
    Member Downtown Bang!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    St Paul MN
    Posts
    1,025

    Default Re: What I learned from watching every shot Myles Turner took last year

    Rik was an all-star center on offense for almost a decade and before the feet got too bad a much better post threat than given credit. It was his limited production on the glass and on the defensive end that held him back. He wasn't terrible with those facets but just not overly impactful.

    What I love about Myles is the potential to be a more mobile version of Rik, just as big a threat offensively, a step or two above on defense and a more productive rebounder.
    Last edited by Downtown Bang!; 08-11-2017 at 07:11 AM.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    8,109

    Default Re: What I learned from watching every shot Myles Turner took last year

    Quote Originally Posted by pacersgroningen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could you say that Smits would be in the same tier as Marc Gasol?
    No, I personally would say no, close, but Gasol is/was more mobile than Smits, and a much better passer/rebounder

    Smitty had a much more diverse offensive game though (he could stick the 18 footer, and had an array of hook shots/drives to the basket )
    Sittin on top of the world!

  13. #8
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    29
    Posts
    39,866

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What I learned from watching every shot Myles Turner took last year

    What was it that Shaq said about Rik? I can't remember exactly, but I know Shaq has always included Rik in the same breath as the other great big men of the 90s.



  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,179

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What I learned from watching every shot Myles Turner took last year

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What was it that Shaq said about Rik? I can't remember exactly, but I know Shaq has always included Rik in the same breath as the other great big men of the 90s.
    Yes. Shaq gives Rik respect. 7-4, and impossible to guard in the post.
    Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:


  17. #10

    Default Re: What I learned from watching every shot Myles Turner took last year

    I blame Bob Hill for ruining Smits and give credit to Larry Brown for getting him back on track as much as possible.

    Hill saw him as the 2nd coming of Mark Eaton and wanted him to put on a lot of weight. That screwed up his feet. When Brown came on board, he just told Smits to get to a comfortable weight and his career was salvaged. He probably would have been better than he was and had a longer career if not for Hill.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  19. #11
    Pacers fan in FL Deadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: What I learned from watching every shot Myles Turner took last year

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What was it that Shaq said about Rik? I can't remember exactly, but I know Shaq has always included Rik in the same breath as the other great big men of the 90s.
    Part of what made Rik so hard to guard was the fact that he could shoot and it forced Shaq to have to move away from the basket. I'm sure he's mentioned it on other occasions but the topic comes up here around the 6:10 mark:

    https://youtu.be/5kOvPZKaNDM?t=6m10s

  20. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    6,369

    Default Re: What I learned from watching every shot Myles Turner took last year

    Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rik was an all-star center on offense for almost a decade and before the feet got too bad a much better post threat than given credit. It was his limited production on the glass and on the defensive end that held him back. He wasn't terrible with those facets but just not overly impactful.

    What I love about Myles is the potential to be a more mobile version of Rik, just as big a threat offensively, a step or two above on defense and a more productive rebounder.
    I still see Turner as well beneath Smits on defense. Both slow against quicker players but Smits was a much better defender against post players than Turner.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

    Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

  21. #13

    Default Re: What I learned from watching every shot Myles Turner took last year

    What I remember most about Smits is he was always in foul trouble before the end of the first quarter. Refs just wouldn't let him play. When Shaq fouled, the refs said they have to let him play his game (even changed the rules for him so he could charge close to the basket - a rule that remains to this day).
    “It is what we learn after we know it all that really counts” - John Wooden

  22. #14
    Member Downtown Bang!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    St Paul MN
    Posts
    1,025

    Default Re: What I learned from watching every shot Myles Turner took last year

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still see Turner as well beneath Smits on defense. Both slow against quicker players but Smits was a much better defender against post players than Turner.
    1993-94 & beyond Rik Smits was better than 2nd year Turner on defense. He had matured, was a smart player and played in a good defensive system. He also got a lot of help in the defensive paint from the Davis boys and on key defensive sets when a stop was needed often wasn't in the game with DD guarding Ewing etc.

    Still think Myles will surpass him as a base defender on that side of the ball, won't need to substituted out on key defensive sets and adds that rim protection element.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •