Thread: Carlisle's Psychology

Default Carlisle's Psychology

One of the things I've noticed about Rick this year is that he never takes any team for granted. Not only that, but (in interviews at least) he is excellent at breaking down the strengths of any opponent and making them sound like a very dangerous team - even if it's the Celtics, or Washington, or Orlando or whomever.

Of course, ANY good coach SHOULD be able to do this, because it's essential in maintaining a team's motivation when they're playing well and faced with a subpar opponent. And most coaches likely try. But for some reason, Rick's arguments always sound more convincing...

Southside_Pacer

Default Re: Carlisle's Psychology

That's what Lou Holtz always would do. Every week you thought that Notre Dame was taking on an undefeated team ranked #1 when in reality they probably were facing Navy.

This approach also allows very little "locker room material" to be used against the Pacers.

Psychology or Philosophy?

Psychology or Philosophy?
    Psychology. Getting into your players' heads so they stay motivated for every game, regardless of the opponent.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One of the things I've noticed about Rick this year is that he never takes any team for granted. Not only that, but (in interviews at least) he is excellent at breaking down the strengths of any opponent and making them sound like a very dangerous team - even if it's the Celtics, or Washington, or Orlando or whomever.

Of course, ANY good coach SHOULD be able to do this, because it's essential in maintaining a team's motivation when they're playing well and faced with a subpar opponent. And most coaches likely try. But for some reason, Rick's arguments always sound more convincing...
    You'd almost think Rick belongs to the "The Sky is Falling" club.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you