Thread: GM Lying

Default GM Lying

Warning: This is an "I told you so" post. (and not about Bender)

At some point in the not-too-distant past I received a ton of grief from someone for saying that Donnie Walsh had lied as GM at various points. I never did actually offer any quotes though the current Hoops Magazine that gets handed out at Pacers games as part of the Game Program (actually costs $5.00) has some.

Anyway, here's a little tidbit from Isiah regarding trades from today's Newsday:

Isiah Thomas wasn't tipping his hand yesterday. "When we discuss trades, sometimes I won't comment, sometimes I will lie to you," he said. "Those are the things I lie about, when we talk about trades. This is a situation where I won't comment."

This happens to be Walsh's - and pretty much every other GM's from what I can tell - philosophy as well. I don't blame them for it. It's part of the game. But I sure don't know where the vacuous belief that Walsh would never lie to the press about a transaction/situation has come from.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: GM Lying

Warning: This is an "I told you so" post. (and not about Bender)

At some point in the not-too-distant past I received a ton of grief from someone for saying that Donnie Walsh had lied as GM at various points. I never did actually offer any quotes though the current Hoops Magazine that gets handed out at Pacers games as part of the Game Program (actually costs $5.00) has some.

Anyway, here's a little tidbit from Isiah regarding trades from today's Newsday:

Isiah Thomas wasn't tipping his hand yesterday. "When we discuss trades, sometimes I won't comment, sometimes I will lie to you," he said. "Those are the things I lie about, when we talk about trades. This is a situation where I won't comment."

This happens to be Walsh's - and pretty much every other GM's from what I can tell - philosophy as well. I don't blame them for it. It's part of the game. But I sure don't know where the vacuous belief that Walsh would never lie to the press about a transaction/situation has come from.

Donnie's approach is well documented. Just look at the first thing he ever did as GM - draft my man Chuck Person.

DW knew the Knicks wanted the Rifleman at #5, and would trade around the Pacers to take him at #2 or #3 if the Pacers signalled that they were drafting Chuck. So for weeks (or at least days) he said, "I'm drafting Kenny Walker, I'm drafting Kenny Walker."

After the "surprise" pick, DW said, "We drafted the guy we've targeted since day #1." Asked about the Kenny Walker talk, he said something close to: "In this business, you have to throw everybody else off target. The best thing about doing this for my first draft is that in the future is that no one will know if I'm telling the truth or not."
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you