Thread: Indiana Pacers position battles: Point guard

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Indiana Pacers position battles: Point guard

https://hoopshabit.com/2017/08/07/in...rren-collison/

by Adrian Lawhorn

The Indiana Pacers will have some interesting starting position battles when training camp opens in September. Here is an analysis of the team’s upcoming competition at point guard.

When the 2017-18 NBA season opens, the Indiana Pacers are likely to have multiple new starters in the lineup. In fact, point guard is one position where there will definitely be a new starter this year.

Jeff Teague signed with the Minnesota Timberwolves as a free agent, and the team chose not to re-sign Aaron Brooks. Therefore, two new players were brought in to man the lead guard spot for the new-look Pacers.

Darren Collison and Cory Joseph are now holding down that position, and they will compete in training camp for the starting job that Jeff Teague occupied last season.

Collison is a former Pacer who speaks highly of his previous experience with the franchise; he welcomed the opportunity to return five years after his last game in an Indiana uniform.

Joseph is a young player who has been a solid backup in his two previous stops with the San Antonio Spurs and the Toronto Raptors.

Darren Collison is currently being penciled in as the starter, but that status is very tentative. Collison is the more experienced and productive of the two, but Cory Joseph will be given every chance to win the job if he earns it during the preseason.

Collison is a good offensive point guard who also possesses solid playmaking ability. He has developed into a reliable shooter from anywhere on the court, making 50 percent of his two-point attempts and 42 percent of his three-point shots last year.

Collison’s main weakness is on the defensive end, where his diminutive size (6’0″, 175 pounds) causes issues. He has quickness and speed, but he is vulnerable when guarding bigger players.

Cory Joseph is a Jack-of-all-trades; he can contribute in a variety of ways, but he’s not dominant in any one facet of the game.

Joseph’s most glaring deficiency is probably his three-point shooting, which was decent last season (36 percent) but he still maintains a career-average of just 32 percent.

Joseph is known as a tough-minded defensive player, but he had an off year in that department in 2016-17, as described by the National Post.

If Cory Joseph can rediscover his defensive mojo, his chances of winning the Pacers’ starting point guard job will greatly increase. However, the job appears to be Collison’s to lose as of now.

Indiana is putting an emphasis on developing young talent this season, so the 25-year-old Joseph will be waiting in the wings. If Collison falters or the team begins to slip out of the playoff hunt, Joseph’s minutes will likely increase.

By the end of the preseason, Darren Collison should come out on top in this position battle. However, once the regular season begins he will need to look over his shoulder frequently
    .by Adrian Lawhorn
    Sittin on top of the world!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana Pacers position battles: Point guard

In before BnG says Lance will be the starting point guard.

I want to see Joseph get the chance. They can split minutes 50/50 and we'll know that Collison is ready to step in and do a decent job at any time if Joseph flops. But what have we got to lose? Same goes for GRIII over Bojan. Only Myles and Oladipo can be written in ink. The rest should be constant competition. We'll find out what we have, and it'll make everyone better.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Whats funny to me is , yet again we have a situation where if we could only "combine players" DC's shooting and playmaking with Joseph's better defense and more physical

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whats funny to me is , yet again we have a situation where if we could only "combine players" DC's shooting and playmaking with Joseph's better defense and more physical
    Well, that would be an elite starter for a championship team, wouldn't it?

I think Collison is what he is... a player you have to plan around with his strengths and weaknesses.

I think there's a shot that Joseph evolves into something like what you're talking about. However, the odds are he's also pretty fully formed as well, and will be more like a George Hill type player (I love GH btw as a player).

Then it really comes down to what the team strategy / culture / playing style looks like going forward, and which of the two (if either) "fit" it better.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Two of the best back up point guards in the league. I don't see either as the answer but they should give CJ the nod to be sure, since he still has upside to grow in the position. I'd be shocked if they find that either as the long term solution. Great trade deadline pieces to move for assets at the very least. Always teams looking for back point for a playoff run,

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Two of the best back up point guards in the league. I don't see either as the answer but they should give CJ the nod to be sure, since he still has upside to grow in the position. I'd be shocked if they find that either as the long term solution. Great trade deadline pieces to move for assets at the very least. Always teams looking for back point for a playoff run,
    LOL, get out of my mind. Literally wrote mine at the same time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

What gives me pause about Corey Joseph, is that when he got the chance to start last season, he didn't really produce.
    Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    What gives me pause about Corey Joseph, is that when he got the chance to start last season, he didn't really produce.
    yeah , his numbers went up slightly but not like "oh he's a breakout potential" and they went 15-7 not bad , but considering the east..

final warning
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!