Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another artest trade

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default another artest trade

i know, i know, this is asking to be flamed. but i have a trade idea which i think is pretty reasonable, so hear me out.

mostly, this sprang from the thought that the pacers best chance of improvement is at the center spot. well, the pg spot also, but i figure signing saras should do the trick there.

however, good centers are in short supply, and certainly i can't think of any who could be available and is much better than what we have now. good power forwards, on the other hand, seem to be more plentiful.

to get to the point, i figure elton brand would be the perfect target for the pacers. he's short, yes, about ben wallace's height, but he has freakish wingspan and is a monster in the paint. pair him up with jo, and i can't think of a better frontcourt in the league.

the question now is, what would it take to get him. i don't see the clips giving him up for free. i think it would take artest at least.

so here's the proposal -

indiana trades: artest, aj, pollard
    indiana receives: elton brand

clippers trade: elton brand
    clippers receive: aj, pollard, 2 #1 picks

3rd team (maybe denver) trade: 2 #1 picks, receive: artest

why for the clips? they've just drafted 18 year old lottery picks in consecutive years. i think it's safe to say that they're not looking to win now. aj gives them a veteran pg to tutor livingston, pollard is a backup big man and expiring contract. the picks, though, are why they would do it.

clippers depth chart after trade:

kaman/pollard
    wilcox
    simmons/karolev
    ?(kittles? jaric?)
    aj/livingston

denver has a pretty solid lineup, but they lack a sg and could use some defense. artest is not a perfect fit, but he's probably better than anyone they can get (unless maybe if they can land ray allen). two #1's from denver probably won't be very high, since they look set to be a playoff team.

nuggets depth chart after trade:

camby/nene
    k-mart/elson
    melo/najera
    artest/lenard
    miller/boykins

the pacers will end up with some holes, but not too bad i think.

pacers depth chart after trade:

jermaine/davis
    brand/foster/bender
    jj/granger
    sjax/freddie
    tinsley/saras

(croshere gets cut, imo)

the trade will work too if we substitute bender for pollard, but i don't see why the clippers would do that, unless donnie does some jedi mind trick that convinces them that bender still has a lot of potential.

anyway, i'm done. flame away

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: another artest trade

I don't think the Clippers will make that trade. Their draft was bad enough. Trading Brand would cause them to lose all credibility.

As SportsGuy said in his recent article, no way is LA trading Brand. He's the only guy worth a damn who doesn't mind playing for them.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I'm not sure that LA would do it, I highly doubt that they would trade Brand

A Clipper I would consider is Maggette
    Even if he's not as good as Ron, he's one of the few SF I would consider in a trade involving Artest.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

*shrug* in any deal of this sort, the weak point is always whether the other team would give up their star player.

in my opinion, possibly. right now they have brand and not much else. livingston and karolev are their building blocks for the future - will brand still be in his prime when those 2 are ready? why not parley him for future building blocks?

of course, the move will alienate fans. but i was under the impression that the clips don't have many fans to alienate anyway

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think the Clippers will make that trade. Trading Brand would cause them to lose all credibility.
    Sorry, I just had to chuckle when you mentioned Clippers and credibility in the same paragraph.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We change our team too much in this trade. We haven't even seen what these guys can do yet when healthy. I don't want to make a big move like this.

I know there are some Pacer fans that do not like Artest, but I am definitely not one of them. After Stern's dictatorial punishment, I don't think there is anyway the Simons or LB are going to let Artest go. I don't think we need any major changes. Picking up Jasik or another backup PG should be fine. I think our current team is more than able to compete for the whole enchilada next year.

We won 44 games and came within a couple games of dethroning the previous champs and did it with injured players and missing a top ten player. We get him back next year and draft what could be the next Scottie Pippen along with healthy players. Why trade a top ten player who more then likely learned his lesson. If losing 5 million doesn't do it he shouldn't be in the league playing for anyone.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    A Clipper I would consider is Maggette
    Even if he's not as good as Ron, he's one of the few SF I would consider in a trade involving Artest.
    I agree with you here. If we do a deal with the Clippers involing Ron I would hope for Corey Maggette.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by gniknave
    Sorry, I just had to chuckle when you mentioned Clippers and credibility in the same paragraph.
    Trust me, with their owner, putting that word in the same sentence as Clippers wasn't easy. They have a chance to win more than the Lakers and gain some cred. in L.A. and then draft like they are still rebuilding. Amazing

We don't need another great low post player..Besides I don't want JO playing center and Brand can't play center due to his height...His wingspan doesn't matter. It's his athleticism thats mainly lacking. He makes up for it with skill and brains but he couldn't play center. He's not big enough...

Besides..Artests value is greater then that of Brands..And we also wouldn't have a backup PG if you decided to do this trade. Brands signed to a pretty big contract at the moment while Artest is only getting paid 5 mil a year for what hes doing.

It's a pipe dream to think the Clips will trade their star big for second tier role players and two first round picks, especially when the picks will likely be late first rounders.

Brand and JO could make a nice tandem though.

foretaz

id rather have livingston or jaric from the clipps....we dont need a cheap mans version of jo....now...u get them to trade livingston or jaric and maggette for artest and aj....and i actually might ponder that trade for lil bit.....but only a little bit

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm still on record as saying I'd rather have Elton Brand than any big man on either detroit or Indiana.....

Elton is the most underrated player in the whole league, it isn't even close. Next to Duncan and KG, there isn't a single PF I'd rather have in the NBA.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

PacerNthaDesert

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    I'm still on record as saying I'd rather have Elton Brand than any big man on either detroit or Indiana.....

Elton is the most underrated player in the whole league, it isn't even close.

You would rather have him over Big Ben? That surprises me but there's no doubt Brand is underrated.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat

Elton is the most underrated player in the whole league, it isn't even close.

hes very good....

however i would not take him over jo....over sheed and ben? yes...all four are very good...he gets forgotten because he plays for the clipps....

if i had to take any one of them , my order of preference would be simple...

jo
    brand
    sheed
    ben....

i would think detroit, as much as they love ben, would switch brand for ben in a second....especially with sheed....a sheed/brand twosome would be simply phenomenal...IMO

a jo/brand isnt as good, because they both need to play in the low post where as sheed likes to play on the outside but is a great post defender....

Quote Originally Posted by PacerNthaDesert
    You would rather have him over Big Ben? That surprises me but there's no doubt Brand is underrated.
    Of all the big men in the NBA, the guy that reminds me the most of Ben is Brand.

Ben dominates as a 6'8" big man. ELton isn't any taller. In fact, he may be SHORTER.

But Elton brings it every night, despite the fact he plays for a team nobody cares about. He isn't soft. He NEVER settles for the jumper, although he's automatic from inside 15 feet. I love the fact Elton goes to the paint EVERY TIME he touches the ball. And he's probably the best player in the NBA at rebounding his own misses. I watch clipper games whenever I get the chance just to watch the guy play.

No disrespect to Ben, but nobody mixes desire and ability quite like Elton Brand does. He's got a lot of talent, and he maxes it out every night. I'd never trade Ben for Elton out of respect for Ben, but If I could remove attachment from the equation, I definately would.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

PacerNthaDesert

Brand just scares me a little bit because of his injuries he's had but atleast he went thru last season relatively injury free. I would agree that nobody plays with more fire and heart then Brand on a nightly basis. He does whatever he can to get his paws on that ball. I'd love to see Brand get to the all star game more but considering he plays for crappy teams every year its tough.

Does Brand even have a post game?

canyoufeelit

No. He gets 20 ppg on basically midrange J's, dunks, tip-ins, putbacks. It's insane how many points sheer hustle and effort can get you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Does Brand even have a post game?
    His post game isn't as refined as JO's, but he's twice as good off the dribble. He does have a little turnaround J, though it's not his primary move.

Most of Brand's points come from drives to the hoop. And the ones he misses, he usually tips back in.

canyoufeelit

I would say Brand's post game is similar to Amare's. He can do it and probably works on it all the time, but he doesn't. He scores just fine without backing down every time he's in an iso situation

well, Brand has the benefit of having pet dribble-moves. Brand has a very quick first step, and he also has an incredible crossover dribble for a guy his size. He handles the ball like a small forward.