Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T.O. to the Kings?

Default T.O. to the Kings?

Updated: July 1, 2005, 1:52 PM ET
    T.O. could join rookies, others in Vegas for hoopsBy Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com
    Archive

Will Terrell Owens play some summertime hoops as the star ponders a potential training camp holdout?

It's a longer shot than a 3-point buzzer-beater from half court. But maybe.

Owens

In the latest twist to Owens' offseason saga, the Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver has been invited to play for the Sacramento Kings' summer league team. The invitation to join Sacramento draft choices, free agents, younger veterans and music mogul Master P on the roster was confirmed Friday by agent Drew Rosenhaus and a Kings spokesman.

There is one considerable caveat: Owens' latest roundball flirtation is actually in the Eagles' court.

Sacramento officials will only allow Owens to participate if the Eagles grant permission. Given the current state of affairs between the Eagles and Owens, who has skipped all the club's offseason workouts as he seeks to upgrade the seven-year, $49 million contract he signed last summer, gaining such clearance could be difficult.

"Obviously, he would love to do it, since he enjoys the game [of basketball] so much and it would be a unique conditioning tool," Rosenhaus said. "But we'll see what happens. We don't know yet. The Kings certainly don't want any [potential legal] entanglements."

Rosenhaus said that Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie has phoned Philadelphia officials. The Eagles office was closed on Friday and team president Joe Banner did not immediately return a message left on his cell phone. Time is a factor for Owens because the Las Vegas summer league in which the Kings are entered begins play next week.

A Kings spokesman said it is believed the invitation was extended because of Owens' friendship with Sacramento owners Joe Maloof and Gavin Maloof.

Owens' interest in basketball is well documented. He played basketball for three seasons in college at the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga, starting five games in that stretch, and in the summer of 2002 appeared in five games for the Adirondack Wildcats of the United States Basketball League.

In 2000, Owens won the celebrity dunking competition at the NBA All-Star Game played in Oakland. He also has a full-size basketball court at his home in Atlanta, which he uses as part of his personal conditioning program.

As for Owens' primary occupation, Rosenhaus said that the situation remains status quo, but that he did speak with Banner recently.

Rosenhaus strongly hinted that Owens would consider a trade, but said he has been denied permission by the Eagles organization to seek out trade scenarios, and that he knows of no current discussions to move his client to another team.

"Right now," Rosenhaus said, "I'm not sure what to expect."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2098709

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: T.O. to the Kings?

If I were the Eagles, I'd tell him no, he cannot play for the basketball team.

If he doesn't show up to offseason workouts, then he cannot do anything else.

Mood

If I were the Eagles I'd cut his sorry a$$, not pay him, and let him play all the basketball he wants.

Maybe they want Ostertag as a lineman in exchange

Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I were the Eagles I'd cut his sorry a$$, not pay him, and let him play all the basketball he wants.
    And if I were any other team I would snatch him right up and beat the Eagles in the playoffs with him.

sweabs

After reading what Fool said...this came to mind:

If I were the Pacers I'd cut his sorry a$$, not pay him, and let him make all the music he wants.

Would you have a similar response, Fool?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    After reading what Fool said...this came to mind:

If I were the Pacers I'd cut his sorry a$$, not pay him, and let him make all the music he wants.

Would you have a similar response, Fool?
    There's a difference between Ron and TO though. Ron has enough game to back up his antics. TO wouldn't even start for the Colts.

TO wouldn't even start for the Colts.
    I would trade anyone on this Colts team not named Harrison, Wayne, Freeney, James, and Manning for him anyday, and put him as my number 2 reciever. Who can cover a duo of Harrison and T.O.?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by wooolus
    I would trade anyone on this Colts team not named Harrison, Wayne, Freeney, James, and Manning for him anyday, and put him as my number 2 reciever. Who can cover a duo of Harrison and T.O.?
    So you wouldn't trade Reggie Wayne for him? Wayne is our #2, and you want to put TO in at #2. And you wouldn't trade Wayne for him? That tells you everything you need to know right there.

lmao at TO not starting for the Colts. TO would start for any team in the NFL.

All for publicity..

TO would be the number one receiver for the Colts..Harrison is getting over the hill in case you didn't notice. He's a great route runner and still has some good speed..But TO is a better athlete then him...But I don't think TO could play basketball.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    But I don't think TO could play basketball.
    I'd be willing to put it out there that a lot of WRs, TEs, and DBs are probably pretty good at basketball, good enough that they could of played D1 ball easily. They're incredible atheletes, that use a lot of the same skills in each sport. Obviously they'd have great hands, which would contribute into a soft touch.

I played against most of BSU's starting WR and DB core last semster in the intermural rec league, and while they aren't even close to being the most atheletic football players, they were pretty good.(The actual game was awful due to injuries though )

Marcus Pollard never picked up a football, until after he realized he wasn't going to the NBA. Randy Moss was a hot college prospect in both sports as well.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    TO would be the number one receiver for the Colts..Harrison is getting over the hill in case you didn't notice. He's a great route runner and still has some good speed..But TO is a better athlete then him...But I don't think TO could play basketball.
    Laughable. Marvin and TO have been in the league the same number of seasons. Marvin has him in TD's, receptions (almost 200 more), and yards (by 2 grand or so). TO has nice stats and he can run and stretch the field. But Marvin has a shot at Jerry Rice like numbers and longevity. TO will never touch that.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Laughable. Marvin and TO have been in the league the same number of seasons. Marvin has him in TD's, receptions (almost 200 more), and yards (by 2 grand or so). TO has nice stats and he can run and stretch the field. But Marvin has a shot at Jerry Rice like numbers and longevity. TO will never touch that.
    Nicely put.
    All in for DG33

When you have a guy like Manning throwing the ball to you, It's not all that hard to put up Hall of Fame numbers. TO had Jeff "Can't Throw the Long Ball" Garcia tossing the ball to him for his first 8 seasons...But I never realized TO was as old as Harrison.I coulda swore Harrison had been around for longer then that. I guess the fact that Harrison looks like a full grown man opposed to TO..And the fact that he acts like it gave me the impression that Harrison was older then TO.

Yeah and TO had to back up Jerry Rice for years before he got his shot.Right now TO >>> Marvin Harrison. Just look at TO when he plays and what kind of impact he has on teams.

First to win a Super Bowl wins.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Just look at TO when he plays and what kind of impact he has on teams.
    Impact? You mean how he turns his quarterback and teammates against him and spreads cancer through the locker room. Oh yeah! Where can I get some of that for my team!?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah and TO had to back up Jerry Rice for years before he got his shot.Right now TO >>> Marvin Harrison. Just look at TO when he plays and what kind of impact he has on teams.
    Right now TO =

Because as of right now his mind (much like Artest, I couldn't resist) allows him to contribute nothing to the Eagles or the NFL.
    All in for DG33

Impact? You mean how he turns his quarterback and teammates against him and spreads cancer through the locker room. Oh yeah! Where can I get some of that for my team!?
    Eagles with TO for one year = Trip to the Super Bowl

Colts with Marvin Harrison for what 9 years = No trips to the Super Bowl.
    Give TO Peyton Manning and see what he does.Marvin Harrison wouldnt be **** if it wasnt for Manning.

Mood

Marvin Harrison wouldnt be **** if it wasnt for Manning.
    Marvin put up great numbers for two seasons with Jim Harbaugh. As a rookie. Strike three you're out.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Give TO Peyton Manning and see what he does.Marvin Harrison wouldnt be **** if it wasnt for Manning.
    Put the Eagles in the AFC and see what they do. The Eagles wouldn't be **** if they had to play in the AFC East or South.
    All in for DG33

Correction, He would be a pro bowl receiver..Just not as many TDs or yards as he currently has. It's hard to argue that Harrison is currently a better player then TO. The only thing Harrison has over TO is intelligence and route running...and a better QB.

Anyone who disagrees with that is a Colts homer. And you can't say that the Eagles made it to the superbowl just because of TO..Because the NFC is much weaker then the AFC. But it's still a valid argument. TO techinically did get the Eagles to the superbowl and put up a gutsy performance there..Had they won against NE, TO would have been superbowl MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    Put the Eagles in the AFC and see what they do. The Eagles wouldn't be **** if they had to play in the AFC East or South.
    Eagles would be the division champs in the AFC south, the division is weak.