Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

I've watched him play about 7 times or so. I didn't look at the highlight clips 1) Because I'm not a believer in highlights you can make just about anybody look good that way 2) Because to me watching his game his greatest attribute he brings to a team wasn't his highlight plays or flashy passes. It is his leadership qualities and the way he demands effort from his teammates and elevates their games. Think of the passion of Eric Snow(In his Sixer days) but with more talent. He isn't Iverson,Wade,Kidd,Bibby etc.,, but what he can be is a guy that can shoot 3-13 in a game but still do the little things that don't show up in a box score to help your team win the game.

He is the type of player that would take a charge and get up and pump his fist and demand that effort from his teammates. He is also the type that would chew a teammate out if he blew a defensive rotation etc.,,, Larry Bird was like that and that could be why he wants him on the Pacers.

Potential problems I could see with his transition to the NBA game..

1) He might not be able to lead a team like he does in Europe because making 3-4 million per year and coming from Europe he won't have the same respect from his teammates like he does over there where he has led them to Championships. How would JO or Jackson react the 1st time this guy tries to call them out on the court or would he not even bother to call guys out instead taking a more passive attitude which would take away one of his greatest assets to a team?

2) From what I've seen of him he plays the game at a frantic pace throwing his body all over the court and that could reduce his effectiveness with the grind of an 82 game schedule.

Would he beat out Tinsley? On talent alone I would say no.

But Bird has won multiple Championships and he may have decided that Tinsley isn't the answer to lead the team to a Championship because of 1)Physically breaking down 2) Lack of mental toughness/leadership in pressure situations. Remember in terms of mental toughness Bird was one of the best ever in that aspect of the game. See Jay's great post about not being built for a Championship Bird might feel the same way about Tinsley. I think Peck mentioned during the Detroit series that at times he felt Tinsley was playing out of control like Iverson does at the point with sloppy TO's/ driving into traffic etc.,, and Bird and maybe even Carlise who is pretty conservative as an offensive coach may have been pulling their hair out watching that take place.

So my answer would be it depends on what direction Bird wants to take and if he feels Tinsley can lead the Pacers to a Championship because next season if healthy the Pacers should probably be right up there at that elite level again. He may accept a talent downgrade at the starting point guard spot in favor of his style of play and a guy who can provide some leadership to a volatile starting core of JO,Artest and Jackson. That starting 3 is extremely talented but it is also a powder keg.

He may just want to add him to bolster your 2nd unit and to have as a great insurance policy in case Tinsley goes down again because changing starting point guards would be a major shakeup and a pretty big risk. So it depends on how the Pacers view Tinsley in terms of leading them to a Championship and Pacers fans would know way more about that than me.

I'm sure Ragnar probably threw a soda can at his monitor a couple of paragraphs ago.

Good post... I think you're right on with your call on the point guard situation for next year.

We certainly don't need a new point guard, Tinsley is plenty talented... but, a point guard must also fit with the team and style of play... perhaps Tinsley is not right for this team... I also do not think AJ has the right style....

As for Jasikevicius, I won't pretend to know if he fits with our team, but not being able to defend the point is certainly a detriment to victory in this league....

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Everybody is so quick to trade AJ. Are we forgetting how good he was this past year? He had stretches where he was simply clutch and made most of the big shots for us down the stretch. He is absolutely our most consistent and reliable point guard, and, I don't know all the numbers, but I don't think he costs that much.

And have we forgotten how important it was last year to have three point guards? (This had nothing to do with supension, btw.) If we trade anyone, it should be Gill. Everybody talks about Granger being insurance for Artest. How about AJ as insurance for the oft-injured Tinsley and still to be determined Saras?

Even is Saras turns out to be Golden, we still need AJ around. The only decent argument on trading AJ is the comment that he deserves better than to sit the bench (if his insurance policy is never used.) But, even then, I don't think you let emotions move you toward decisions that could hurt the team. We need AJ, and are very fortunate to have him as a backup.

I have no problem with AJ as a backup! he is the perfect NBA backup point guard, but I do not like him as a starter

canyoufeelit

Tinsley is a great point guard for a fastbreak, open-court team. Problem is, Indy is a pound it inside team that plays inside-outside with a big emphasis on inside... which is where a shoot-first combo guard would be much more useful.

foretaz

i think we may be forgetting that the pacers want to run more....they want to push it more....they have an incredible bench and the talent to push the ball while playing great defense....because of everything that happened we didnt get to see as much of that....

tinsley is effective at half court as well as pushing it....hes just a very talented point guard....

aj is a great backup but not necessarily the best pg in the world....saras would be an improvement, especially considering his ability to shoot and play the uptempo game....

at first glance, aj as a third guard would be great....but he wont be happy...and its really not too fair to do that to him....if hes unhappy, that could spill over to the team and chemistry could be a problem....especially after the season he just had, u cant just ask him to sit on the bench every game with dnp-cd....

his trade value has never been higher....should be fairly simple to get something decent outta him whether its alone or in a package....even if its just a draft choice(preferably one in 2 years when oden is coming out) that helps us cut some salary right now....

as far as the third pg goes, i would love to see them try to pick up jay williams, though i dont know how likely that is....especially with it looking like saras wants more than half the MLE....

once again, it comes back down to dale....and i dont see him taking the vet min...if he does then we could quite possibly pick up both saras and j williams...but i just dont know if its fair to ask that of dale....we will see..

u know, i suddenly got this idea....i think chicago still has some sort of rights where j williams is concerned....wonder if a sign and trade is possible....though i highly doubt chicago will be too helpful in this scenario....considering we are same division rivals...

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I read an Akron Beacon report on HoopsHype (you know, they just link you to the articles)...seems this kid is gooood buddies with CLevelands Illgauskas (best man in Big Z's wedding) and Eric Snow is the only PG currently on the Cavs roster. THey feel they have the inside track to the Lithuanian.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I think (and hope) that the Cavs are more interested in Antonio Daniels

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I read an Akron Beacon report on HoopsHype (you know, they just link you to the articles)...seems this kid is gooood buddies with CLevelands Illgauskas (best man in Big Z's wedding) and Eric Snow is the only PG currently on the Cavs roster. THey feel they have the inside track to the Lithuanian.
    That clashes mightily with Jesikevisuousesnesseses stated desire to play for a contender. Indiana is one, Cleveland isn't yet.

foretaz

the concerning part about this is that the cavs, because of ferry, seemed to be intent on trying to retain Z....it also has appeared for a while that Z would prefer to go elsewhere....however maybe sarunas being signed by cleveland would be just what the cavs need to get Z to come back...and cleveland is in a position where they could afford to overpay sarunas a bit...

as previously stated, sarunas will probably have to WANT to come to indiana as there will probably be better offers....the fact that he could play with a good friend Z is a variable that is a bit scary as the pacers have no way to counteract that.....

i think sarunas is probably a bit in awe of larry bird and that probably has something to do with why we are a favorite....we have to remember to alot of these guys, bird was a bit of an idol.....when ur being recruited by that guy it has to be effective....so we will see....i dont think that sarunas is the best fit in cleveland at the point...it would seem antonio daniels would be....and he probably is mike browns first pick....but if sarunas helps them get Z, well then who knows....the only upside to this is-if cleveland signs saras and Z, i dont think they are as much of a factor as if they signed daniels and lets say curry or dalembert....daniels, redd, lebron, curry/dalembert and whomever is a bit scary.....id prefer the pacers play saras,redd,Z, lebron and whomever....

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

AND Cleveland will have to re-sign Illgauskas first. IF they do succeed in doing that ... than I see Cleveland's chance of getting Sarunas getting a serious boost.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Fig Newton
    And I'm starting to get a boner when thinking of having him here on our team. He'd be great to replace AJ when we trade him because we'll trade him.
    Dammit Fig, you need to get you sex life and your love of the Pacers seperated. IT IS NOT NORMAL FOR A PERSON TO GET SEXUALY EXCITED OVER A PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL TEAM SIGNING A FREE AGENT. I think you need to give a call to Dr. Phil or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue
    Dammit Fig, you need to get you sex life and your love of the Pacers seperated. IT IS NOT NORMAL FOR A PERSON TO GET SEXUALY EXCITED OVER A PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL TEAM SIGNING A FREE AGENT. I think you need to give a call to Dr. Phil or something.
    you mean to tell me there are other ways of getting sexually excited????

hmmmmm, the thought in itself opens up whole new avenues......
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!