Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

Quote Originally Posted by ILovethePacers
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm all for trading JO... for almost anyone... but I think i'm probably the outlier...
    :

Hey, I feel we should trade JO too. I just feel that if we trade him, we should get another PF that we can safely say he'll keep our championship hopes alive, and truthfully, finding that player isn't easy. I just have this image of us using JO to trade for a PF nothing short of KG. Infact, that's the exact player I have in mind. I can dream, can't I?

If we trade JO (which we won't) I will run up to Larry and spit on his shoes. (Unless we get Duncan or KG, not happening)

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    He's exactly what we need? He's never played one minute in the NBA and we know he's exactly what we need

Bird has scouted him several times, he has expressed his interest in Saras in the newspapers.
    Jasikevicius brings leadership, playmaking abilities, outside shooting.
    Do we need that? I think so, and apparently so does Larry.

Bird said that we're not done in this offseason, so if we trade some players and happen to have a roster spot for Jasikevicius, we should try to sign him.
    He's not going to be the go-to-guy, nor would he be the starting PG, but he really could turn out to be a very good player for us.

He's exactly what we need? He's never played one minute in the NBA and we know he's exactly what we need
    [fangirl]

But UB, didn't you see his video! OMG, he is like, so cool! He like, passes the ball to people, and, and, and then they catch it, and even sometimes they score! Wow!

[/fangirl]

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let's say this guy isn't good enough to start, but is good enough to make JT sweat a bit, make him worry about job security. How much would it be worth to make JT work harder and maybe play smarter? How much would that improve the PAcers??? How much would a playmaking scoring back-up PG be worth in terms of victories???
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    Let's say this guy isn't good enough to start, but is good enough to make JT sweat a bit, make him worry about job security. How much would it be worth to make JT work harder and maybe play smarter? How much would that improve the PAcers??? How much would a playmaking scoring back-up PG be worth in terms of victories???
    Uh-oh people. Geezer's goin' senile on us.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...785#post214785

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Fig Newton
    And I'm starting to get a boner when thinking of having him here on our team. He'd be great to replace AJ when we trade him because we'll trade him.
    Why would you think AJ would be traded? You do know that under the new collective agreement that we can keep 14 players, up from 12. We could keep AJ, Tinsley, Eddie and Jasikevicius and not break a sweat. Of course I would have Eddie Gill on injured reserve for most of the season so we don't have 4 points on the active squad.
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    You do know that under the new collective agreement that we can keep 14 players, up from 12.
    This needs clarifying.

Under the old cba teams could have a maximum of 15 players on their rosters, but as few as 11, usually 12. Under the new cba, instead of a minimum of 12, they will have to have at least 14 players on their roster.

There will no longer be an Injured Reserve either. Players are either active or inactive. Only 12 players can be active on a team at one time, however.

Plus the team will be able to shuffle players from the active to inactive roster at will.

Also new is a provision that allows a team to sign an additional two first or second year players and send them to the NBDL to play. This means, in effect, the Pacers can have up to 17 players under contract at one time. And first and second year players are allowed to jump back and forth between the regular team roster and the NBDL, if needed.

The Pacers, for example, will be able to have a roster of 15 players ---12 active at one time and three inactive. And they can also have two players under contracts playing in the NBDL. John Edwards should get a second year in the NBA from the Pacers because of this positive development.

What I am saying is not official yet. But I believe what I have written seems to be what the players and the owners have agreed to do in the new cba.

Diesel

I have to agree with Uncle Buck on this. I think some are overating this guy just a bit. I really don't remeber him all that much from his days in Maryland and I know some of you have seen him play but again is this guy better then Earl Watson, Antonio Daniels, Brevin Knight, Marko Jaric.

This is a deep free agent class for pgs. Granted none are superstars and most of the names I mentioned are borderline starters but they're all solid contributers and I would feel comfortable with them backing up Tinsley or filling in for him if he went down with an injury for a couple weeks. So the question is Jasikevicius better then Earl Watson or Antonio Daniels? (the two pgs I want Bird to go after)

Jasikevicius is more than just a PG, he has lead his teams to trophies (Silver Medal in Sydney 2000, Euroleague 2003, 2004 & 2005, European Championship 2003, 4th place in Athens 2004), he's a consumate clutch shooter, a great passer, the best player outside of the NBA and HE'S CHEAP.
    Given is stardom in Europe, he could really ask for more than 10 millions over 3 years, and somebody would pay him this kind of money.

While Earl Watson is a good PG IMO, I don't think that he's going to make a difference for a contender.
    And I think that Watson and Daniels will find teams that have a big need at PG like the Cavs or the Hawks or even the Hornets. And those teams are ready to give them contracts that the Pacers can't match.

Who else is available?
    here's a list from http://probasketball.about.com/od/ne...eeagents05.htm

1. Marko Jaric (Restricted)
    2. Sarunas Jasikevicius
    3. Antonio Daniels (Player Option)
    4. Gary Payton
    5. Brevin Knight
    6. Earl Watson
    7. Damon Stoudamire
    8. Jeff McInnis
    9. Chris Duhon (Restricted)
    10. Damon Jones (Player Option)
    11. Nick Van Exel (Team Option)
    12. Jay Williams
    13. Dan Dickau (Option Declined)
    14. Tyronn Lue
    15. Darrell Armstrong
    16. Jacque Vaughn (Team Option)
    17. Howard Eisley
    18. Tony Delk (Player Option)
    19. Steve Blake
    20. Keith McLeod (Restricted)
    21. Travis Best
    22. Jannero Pargo (Restricted)
    23. Keyon Dooling (Player Option)
    24. Frank Williams (Option Declined)
    25. Milt Palacio
    26. Erick Strickland
    27. Rick Brunson
    28. Kenny Anderson
    29. Troy Bell
    30. Tierre Brown
    31. Anthony Carter
    32. Jamison Brewer
    33. Eddie Gill
    34. Andre Barrett
    35. Luis Flores (Restricted)
    36. Lionel Chalmers (Restricted)
    37. Junior Harrington
    38. Mateen Cleaves
    39. Omar Cook
    40. Quinton Ross

Who do we want in that list?
    Brevin Knight? Why not.
    Jay Williams? I heard that a lot of you like him, but the guy has not played for years now, I'd rather gamble on Jasikevicius than on Williams if we are to compete for a championship next year.
    Dan Dickau?
    Jeff McInnis?

The best PG available may find a starting job or a bigger contract somewhere else. I definitely think that Jasikivecius remains the best mix between playing abilities, size of the contract and desire to play for a contender.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I only just now saw that foot "making contact" with La Frentz sensible parts. OUCH!!!

Nice avatar Pingu!!!

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Thanks I'm still wondering who is the Pacers player though

I am finding it hard to understand how some people cannot see how
    Saras could help the Pacers. They question whether or not he can play
    on the NBA level. Where has everyone been the past few years?
    The world has caught up to the NBA. He has won several euroleague championships and scored well against the best the NBA has to offer.
    He is a winner. The Pacers could never use a player like that*sarcasm intended*

owl

Here is some of the latest info from Milwaukee. I assume he means Larry as in larry Bird. But then the Bucks GM is Larry Harris, so it could mean him and not Bird

The Bucks have shown some interest in Sarunas Jasikevicius, a former Maryland star who had led Maccabi in Tel Aviv to three straight Euroleague championships. Jasikevicius, 29, is being courted by several teams, including Indiana.

“I’ve talked to Larry but nothing beyond that,’’ said Doug Neustadt, Jasikevicius’ agent. “I don’t know if starting is all that important for Sarunas, but he’ll need substantial minutes.’’

That could be a problem in Milwaukee with starting point guard Mo Williams back and Ford now cleared to play again.

http://www.journaltimesonline.com/nu...hp?itemid=1390

Quote Originally Posted by sixthman

What I am saying is not official yet. But I believe what I have written seems to be what the players and the owners have agreed to do in the new cba.
    sixthman, or whoever, do you have a link to a detailed explanation of the new CBA? (if ratified)

[edit]

Nevermind, I found this:

The following are the key points agreed to by the NBA and the Players Association in their new 6-year collective bargaining agreement:

Players will be guaranteed to receive 57% of league revenues (BRI), the same percentage paid to players the last two seasons. (This is the first time the league has ever agreed to guarantee the players an agreed-upon percentage of revenues.)

The Salary Cap will increase from 48% of BRI to 51% of BRI. All Cap exceptions will remain unchanged, including the Mid-Level Exception ($4.9 million per team this past season).

The amount of money that can be withheld from player salaries under the “escrow” system will be reduced from 10% of salaries in year 1 of the new deal to 9% in years 2 through 5 and 8% in year 6. The 57% escrow level will increase with revenue growth.

The effect of the existing luxury tax on teams will be reduced and there will be no additional taxes. The tax level will be set at 61% of league revenues (the same level as in the 2001-02 – 2003-04 seasons). Tax treatment for injured players and minimum salary players will be liberalized.

The maximum length of a player contract will be reduced by 1 year, from 7 years for a team’s own players and 6 years for other players to 6 years and 5 years.

The league will guarantee that, on average, all teams will have 14-player rosters.

The maximum annual increases in multi-year player contracts will be reduced from 12.5% for a team’s own players and 10% for other players to 10.5% and 8%.

Players will be subject to 4 random drug tests per season and penalties for use of performance-enhancing drugs will be increased.

The age limit for entering the draft will increase from 18 to 19 (plus one year removed from high school).

Players will have the right to an arbitrator’s review of Commissioner suspensions for on-court misconduct of more than 12 games (currently, no arbitrator review is permitted regardless of the length of the suspension).

Players in their first two seasons in the league may be placed on teams in the NBA Development League for skills development.

There will be an increase in the minimum salary and benefits. Pension benefits will be increased subject to IRS approval.

Quote Originally Posted by owl
    I am finding it hard to understand how some people cannot see how
    Saras could help the Pacers. They question whether or not he can play
    on the NBA level. Where has everyone been the past few years?
    The world has caught up to the NBA. He has won several euroleague championships and scored well against the best the NBA has to offer.
    He is a winner. The Pacers could never use a player like that*sarcasm intended*

owl

I have never seen him play so how owuld I know if he could help. he sounds pretty good, if Bird likes him then I have no problem signing him. But I doubt he is Steve Nash or a top 10 NBA point guard, and I do cringge when people say he's exactly what we need.

Mood

I've seen Jasikevicius play several times on NBATV in their games from Europe and the Athens Olympics.He's well worth going after. He's much better than Anthony Johnson , to me thats the key is he an upgrade over what we have.

Sarunas , is a leader , outstanding range on his jumper , excellant free throw shooter and outstanding passer. Anyone who watched the Olympics watched him shread the USA team. He's a pg who knows how to run a team.

Little background about Sarunas' days at Maryland. He played shooting guard there because of his range. Once he went back to Europe the sturdily built 6'4 JASIKEVICIUS became a point guard ,his natural position.

If he signed here , I could actually see him playing both guard spots. Tho he's not going to be the best defender in the nba , he is an okay defender .

I think the fact Pacers showed very early intrest in him and their fit of what he is looking for in a team to sign with ,gives them a good chance of siging him.

Tho some say we could have Sars, Tinsley and Johnson all three. I think it would be best to move AJ , he played too well last season to make him the 3rd pg here. Trade him to a team he could play minutes for , he deserves that.

DD, do you see him beating out Tinsley

I think SJ would make a nice 'change of pace' PG...let Tins start, or let the minutes fall in any given game to the style that is best suited against that opponent.

Right now, I think he would be superior to most FA guards...or at least as good.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

what if we do a deal where we get another team who signs him to a good contract better than the MLE and trade someone to get him over here...

DD, do you see him beating out Tinsley
    From his description, I sure see him beating out Tinsley....

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ucla31
    what if we do a deal where we get another team who signs him to a good contract better than the MLE and trade someone to get him over here...
    Can't do it that way. Sign and trades can only happen when the team doing the signing is his original team. Like with Brad only we could do that. Say, Chicago for instance, couldn't have signed him to that deal and then traded him for someone else's players.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Can't do it that way. Sign and trades can only happen when the team doing the signing is his original team. Like with Brad only we could do that. Say, Chicago for instance, couldn't have signed him to that deal and then traded him for someone else's players.
    o...shux...

well...thanks for the explanation

Mood

I see Sarunas as the backup point guard to start the season. From there it would depend on how he and Jamal play and of course injuries.

But I really like the idea of a second unit with Saras, Freddie and Granger.

The fact Larry Bird is making such an effort to get him , and his quotes on him are enough to make me want him here , even if I hadn't seen him several times.

Jasikevicius , to me is a winner . Lets face it even tho its Europe League he has proven by taking 2 different teams to the title and has been pg on the last 3 Champs , he does know how to guide a winner.

Weither he starts or not is unimportant , the key is he will be better than AJ , any improvement is a step in the right direction. Fact he guided 2 different teams to titles also shows he can blend his talents.