Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 63

Thread: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

  1. #1
    Member scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Milford, Indiana
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,043
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    From Chad Ford of ESPNinsider.

    19. Sarunas Jasikevicius, PG, Maccabi Tel Aviv
    The skinny: Jasikevicius is the best point guard playing in Europe and has led his team to three straight Euroleague Championships. The former Maryland star is an incredible passer, has deep range on his jumper, and plays with lots of emotion and grit. If he were more athletic, a better defender and four or five years younger (he's 29), he'd be near the top of the list. As it stands, he'd be a great mid-level pickup for a team trying to compete for a championship. A number of teams have shown interest, but the rumor is that the Pacers are leading the pack.


    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/colum...=2097694&num=0

  2. #2

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    How come some euro's have to be drafted, then you can sign others as FA's?
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

  3. #3
    Long time fan diamonddave00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Castle de Verde (Greencastle)
    Posts
    1,371
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    Sarunas Jasikevicius played 4 years at Maryland and was eligable for the nba draft in the late 90's . He went undrafted , After playing sg at Maryland he returned to playing Europe and developed into a pg.

    Fact he was already part of the draft in the late 90's means he's a free agent now.

  4. #4
    Member Moses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    3,565

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    I think we need to make room for this guy..Whether it be dropping AJ or doing whatever. He is exactly what we need..Imagine how stacked our roster is next season if we aquire this guy.

  5. #5
    Member scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Milford, Indiana
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,043
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    And I'm starting to get a boner when thinking of having him here on our team. He'd be great to replace AJ when we trade him because we'll trade him.

  6. #6
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    Maybe the other moves Larry was talking about making was making sure they sign Jasikevicius. And after they do that maybe they package Pollard and AJ for another player. But who knows

  7. #7
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,577

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    I can't wait for next year!
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  8. #8
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    Ford is just repeating (he could be confirming) what is being said in the European press. I had read the exact same thing before he said it.

  9. #9
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,240
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    IF this happens, do you all realize that no team will have had a better offseason than the Pacers? Hopefully they can put it on the court where it matters.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Age
    25
    Posts
    704

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    I hope this is true. I have not seen him play (has anyone here?), but he sounds promising.

  11. #11
    Member Pingu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,245

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    I have seen him play several times both in the Olympics, the Euroleague and the ACB league when he was in Barcelona, he's truly special.
    He's a great playmaker, a clutch performer and has a great character, he's exactly what the Pacers need, a guy who make things happen and a leader.
    I definitely thinks that he has what it takes to be successful in the NBA, even if he's not that athletic.

    And this guy is very popular among europeans basketball fans, it would bring some international fame to the franchise.

  12. #12
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,240
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Huxtable
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope this is true. I have not seen him play (has anyone here?), but he sounds promising.
    I vaguely remember him playing. He predated Steve Francis by one season at U of Maryland. According to the Terps website, he started every game his last two seasons with the team. Anyone wanting stats and stuff can find it here:

    http://www.euroleague.net/plantillas/jugador.jsp?id=ADG

    [edit]

    And here's stats and stuff for Erazem Lorbek as well

    http://www.euroleague.net/plantillas/jugador.jsp?id=BWL

    [/edit]

  13. #13
    Member scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Milford, Indiana
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,043
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    If we get him, just what will we do with AJ?

  14. #14
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    Quote Originally Posted by Fig Newton
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we get him, just what will we do with AJ?

    trade him...aj's trade value will never be higher than it is right now....the time is so perfect, its scary....

    there are a number of teams that need pg help...some are just lacking....others have brand new rookie point guards....aj would be a great addition to any of those teams...

    whether it be a trade for a future draft choice-and clear a bit of cap space now, or part of a package to get a big man, or part of a package for a sign and trade free agent, we should be able to get a decent return for him....

  15. #15
    Member scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Milford, Indiana
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,043
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    Ok... So would you say then that the players the Pacers won't put on the block would be Jermaine O'neal, Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson, Jamaal Tinsley, Danny Granger, Jaskievicius, and anyone else that the Pacers won't deal?

  16. #16
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    Quote Originally Posted by Fig Newton
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok... So would you say then that the players the Pacers won't put on the block would be Jermaine O'neal, Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson, Jamaal Tinsley, Danny Granger, Jaskievicius, and anyone else that the Pacers won't deal?

    i think it has a lot to do with who the trade might involve....the pacers have so many pieces right now....and as able mentioned some pieces are perceived to be much more valuable than others...and there are so many possibilities....and i do believe noone is untouchable, though some could be had much easier than others....

    for instance....if (and i dont think it will happen)the pacers are involved in a sign and trade for redd or allen, then jack would more than likely be involved in that deal, probably along with aj and a big-quite possibly foster, but could be pollard for his expiring contract.....however if there is no trade for a sg like that, then i dont see jack going anywhere....

    another.....aj could possibly be package with one of our 'bad contracts' to make the deal more enticing....like croshere going to houston, for example....croshere is way overpriced, but croshere and aj for about 11 million doesnt sound quite so bad, especially if we take a bit of junk back, and the team we do the trade with has a strong need for a quality pg and could use austin in their rotation....not likely, but possible...same could be said for possibly a bender/aj trade as well....

    a magloire trade has been mentioned(which im not in favor of anymore)and that almost certainly would involve aj and foster for sure....

    and if there is any move out there that could better the team, then i think just about anyone is 'touchable'....it would be tough to trade ron right now, because of his low perceived value for trade purposes, however anything is possible...like ive said before, if a kg deal comes available and we have to trade jo, then i think u do that....but reasonably speaking, thats highly unlikely....

    i think its very very likely we trade aj.....because i think its highly likely we get saras and aj isnt gonna want to play the 3rd pg....and hes too valuable to just have him sit when we could probably get something we could use...if we add saras, we really need to do a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 type deal....as we are getting too many bodies.....

    now all this being said....if saras is signed, and aj is traded...my biggest concern is the defense we have in our backcourt....and if freddie were traded well geez...it could be even uglier that it has already been....the good thing is we will be very very good on the wing with jack and artest and granger....but guarding small guys we will be even worse-and we were pathetic to begin with

  17. #17
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,140
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    So how tall is Jasikevicius? I think (much to Ragnar's dismay) that he (or AJ) could possible play the SG position at times, meaning that both could stay. That obviously means Fred Jones' playing time would evaporate, which could mean trading him.

    The way I feel about the offseason goes in a bunch of directions (all assuming DD stays):

    1) Freddie stays, JJ is gone, they don't sign Jasikevicius.

    2) JJ resigns, Freddie is traded, they don't sign Jasikevicius.

    3) Freddie stays, JJ is gone, they sign Jasikevicius, and trade AJ.

    4) JJ stays, they sign Jasikevicius, AJ stays, and Freddie is traded.

    -------------------------------------------------------------------

    The first option still leaves a deep bench but not great shooters.

    The second option leaves a great shooter, but loses the explosiveness off the bench.

    The third option gives a steady bench with Jasikevicius, FJ, DG, Cro, and Foster.

    The last option gives the team more options but could make players angry having both AJ, Jasikevicius, JJ, Granger, Cro, and Foster, which amounts to either 6 players fighting for 5 bench spots, or a REALLY small lineup.

    Saying that I prefer the last option as people would really find out how important AJ is when Tinsley and Jasikevicius, and Fred are throwing turnovers, or when the team is playing out of control at times, AJ is the perfect player to get control of a team. Yeah he has his problems, but I'll take a bad possesion over a bad pass that starts a fast break.

    I really like Fred, but he deserves his opportunity elsewhere. The minutes are going to just continue to shrink with Granger, and if Jasikevicius is signed, and possibly if JJ is resigned.

    Trading Fred to Portland for a future 1 pick would be tough to swallow presently, but for his future and this team makes the most sense.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  18. #18
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,140
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    I don't want to quote the whole thing Foretaz, but I thought Jackson actually didn't do a bad job on Hamilton. What hurt the team is that Reggie's such a liability defensively that either Hamilton or Prince could have a field day.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  19. #19
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    Quote Originally Posted by Fig Newton
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok... So would you say then that the players the Pacers won't put on the block would be Jermaine O'neal, Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson, Jamaal Tinsley, Danny Granger, Jaskievicius, and anyone else that the Pacers won't deal?
    of all these guys...tinsley is the biggest variable to me....i could just as easily see a scenario hes traded tomorrow as i could see him being untouchable....

    jo wont be traded unless its kg or tim duncan...so thats not gonna happen...

    artest isnt gonna be traded because noone is gonna give close to his value plus its damn near impossible to get equal value anyway because of his contract...

    jack only goes, as mentioned before, if another 2 guard is brought in that would be deemed an improvement-allen or redd in a sign and trade....and this is highly unlikely to happen....

    saras isnt gonna be brought in then traded-why bring him in in the first place, then?

    granger isnt gonna be traded-hes too new and theyre just too high on him...his perceived value to the pacers is just way too high for anyone to be able to get him...

    tinsley...who friggen knows...hes not carlisles favorite....but he can be a great pg....bird likes him....now....if they could get another really good pg, that might be a lil better defender...and both carlisle and bird liked him...and the rotation made better sense than a tinsley saras rotation would....then who knows....i could see them doing that....cept i dont know who those guys are....cept for kidd...and thats a whole different deal, and just isnt gonna happen....hell, maybe they do a sign and trade for antonio daniels and tinsley, but i have feeling daniels is heading to cleveland or possibly miami....i think if tins would happen to be dealt, it would be for someone that would have the ability to be a better defender and probably have some length....i would love to get the livingston kid here from the clippers....hes not quite there yet, but hes gonna be great, and a combination of him and saras would be very interesting....but i dont see LA letting him go...jaric might even be an interesting possibility-though hes more of a combo guard than a true playmaker....

  20. #20
    Member Ultimate Frisbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,374

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    I'm all for trading JO... for almost anyone... but I think i'm probably the outlier...

  21. #21
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,240
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    Quote Originally Posted by ILovethePacers
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm all for trading JO... for almost anyone... but I think i'm probably the outlier...
    Did you even watch the games between his return from suspension and his injury? 33 games, averaged 27 per. Unstoppable force. During this time he was the best PF in the league. Better than Duncan, better than Amare. That's what a motivated, healthy JO is capable of.

  22. #22
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have seen him play several times both in the Olympics, the Euroleague and the ACB league when he was in Barcelona, he's truly special.
    He's a great playmaker, a clutch performer and has a great character, he's exactly what the Pacers need, a guy who make things happen and a leader.
    I definitely thinks that he has what it takes to be successful in the NBA, even if he's not that athletic.

    And this guy is very popular among europeans basketball fans, it would bring some international fame to the franchise.
    It says his defense is weak, just like Jamaals. While D is AJ's strength.
    hmmmm

  23. #23
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,987

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It says his defense is weak, just like Jamaals. While D is AJ's strength.
    hmmmm
    Well Steve Nash has a pretty bad defense too! Let's not try and get him either if by any chance (and there isn't, so it's 100% BS scenario of that happenning, but anyway) Phoenix would like to trade him, because ... D is AJ's strength hmmmmmmmmmm...............................

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  24. #24
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we need to make room for this guy..Whether it be dropping AJ or doing whatever. He is exactly what we need..Imagine how stacked our roster is next season if we aquire this guy.


    He's exactly what we need? He's never played one minute in the NBA and we know he's exactly what we need

  25. #25
    Member Ultimate Frisbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,374

    Default Re: Chad Ford says Indiana is in lead for Jasikevicius

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you even watch the games between his return from suspension and his injury? 33 games, averaged 27 per. Unstoppable force. During this time he was the best PF in the league. Better than Duncan, better than Amare. That's what a motivated, healthy JO is capable of.
    He's a great regular season PF, i'll give you that... Its more personal... i've never been convinced of JO's heart... I really don't want him to have the ball late in the playoffs...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •