Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA approves Pistons move to downtown Detroit

Default NBA approves Pistons move to downtown Detroit

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/03/...ntown-detroit/

NBA approves Pistons move to downtown Detroit

The Pistons haven’t played played regularly in Detroit since 1978.

After spending decades in the suburbs – The Palace of Auburn Hills and, before that, the Pontiac Silverdome – they’re moving back downtown.

NBA release:

The NBA Board of Governors unanimously approved the Pistons’ relocation from The Palace of Auburn Hills to Little Caesars Arena in downtown Detroit. The team will begin playing this upcoming season at Little Caesars Arena.

Of course, the NBA approved. The league loves local governments funneling millions of dollars in taxpayer money to billionaire team owners.

It probably won’t be so good for Detroit, which should invest more in schools, police and other services that serve more than just basketball fans. But this is the same type of bad deal local governments strike all the time as they eye tax revenue that almost never comes. This has sadly just become par for the course.

But it’ll at least be good for fans who can afford to attend games at the new arena, which was originally being built (again, with large amounts of taxpayer money) for the NHL’s Red Wings. There’s a lot more to do in downtown Detroit than around the arena in Auburn Hills.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: NBA approves Pistons move to downtown Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That report was a really pissy tone on something that the Pistons decided to join in on. I mean, imagine if the Pistons wanted their own Detroit-based arena and got the city to throw millions MORE in tax $ their way.

Anyway, it's good that the Detroit Pistons are back in...Detroit.
    "man, PG has been really good."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm surprised they had to get NBA approval for this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

I like it. I lived in Detroit for awhile working at the former GM World HQ. It's just minutes away from where the Pistons will be playing. Used to drive to downtown from there many times, right down Woodward. It's good to see the Detroit Pistons in Detroit. As much of an armpit that it was, it was a cool place with a lot of history.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What's with the editorial commentary shoehorned into the article?
    Spoiler Spoiler:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DocHolliday For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    That report was a really pissy tone on something that the Pistons decided to join in on. I mean, imagine if the Pistons wanted their own Detroit-based arena and got the city to throw millions MORE in tax $ their way.

Anyway, it's good that the Detroit Pistons are back in...Detroit.
    Wow. No kidding that was nasty. What they don't factor in is the money that comes into the city in terms of hotel revenue and taxes, restaurant revenue and taxes, shopping, taxes the franchise pays, investment around the venue that leads to more business. I'm seriously not sure why people don't understand business and the source of funds that make government even possible. ...smh.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Wow. No kidding that was nasty. What they don't factor in is the money that comes into the city in terms of hotel revenue and taxes, restaurant revenue and taxes, shopping, taxes the franchise pays, investment around the venue that leads to more business. I'm seriously not sure why people don't understand business and the source of funds that make government even possible. ...smh.

It's the same crowd that doesn't understand why their entire town shuts down during a snowstorm. Then they realize the low cost of living comes with a price. When it snows, you have 1 or 2 roads in and out. They're shut down because you don't have the funds to pay a fleet of snowplow and snow truck drivers to keep them clean. Your town also doesn't have an extensive public transportation system which could keep people off the roads during a snowstorm. Nor does it have over 4 cab companies available.

And because of all of this, all of downtown is closed. Which means no groceries or supplies. Because the shopkeepers and owners can't get to their shops to open up. And even if they could, there'd be no one to deal with the snow when they get there.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    It's the same crowd that doesn't understand why their entire town shuts down during a snowstorm. Then they realize the low cost of living comes with a price. When it snows, you have 1 or 2 roads in and out. They're shut down because you don't have the funds to pay a fleet of snowplow and snow truck drivers to keep them clean. Your town also doesn't have an extensive public transportation system which could keep people off the roads during a snowstorm. Nor does it have over 4 cab companies available.

And because of all of this, all of downtown is closed. Which means no groceries or supplies. Because the shopkeepers and owners can't get to their shops to open up. And even if they could, there'd be no one to deal with the snow when they get there.
    Never been to Michigan, have you Grimp?

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Never been to Michigan, have you Grimp?
    Detroit needs a full subway system badly. Not only would it offer a strong alternative method of travel, but also would take pressure off the overworked bus system.

Detroit needs a full subway system badly. Not only would it offer a strong alternative method of travel, but also would take pressure off the overworked bus system.
    Of all the things Detroit needs, a subway system is pretty far down the list.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Of all the things Detroit needs, a subway system is pretty far down the list.
    Yeah true, the city has many other issues but it's imperative for a city trying to rebuild itself to have as many avenues to travel as possible. I find it odd that so many cities and states in America still lack a strong, solid subway or bus system.

Yeah true, the city has many other issues but it's imperative for a city trying to rebuild itself to have as many avenues to travel as possible. I find it odd that so many cities and states in America still lack a strong, solid subway or bus system.
    Cities like Detroit are spread out over large areas with a solid chunk of the population living in the suburbs. Traffic isn't that bad (even when it snows they are pretty good about clearing it and keeping the roads safe), most people have cars--just no real use for a subway system there.

Sports Logo

Cities like Detroit are spread out over large areas with a solid chunk of the population living in the suburbs. Traffic isn't that bad (even when it snows they are pretty good about clearing it and keeping the roads safe), most people have cars--just no real use for a subway system there.
    yeah, Detroit definitely grew out and not up. besides, been a good while since I've been up there but pretty sure they've got some kinda elevated car system in the downtown at least.

Detroit absolutely needed a subway system back in the 50s when it had triple the population it has now. But being the center of the American automotive industry there was no way the big car companies would approve of something like that. This is unfortunate because a good mass transit system would have been a boon for development and made the city more attractive for habitation.

Nevertheless, a streetcar line opened recently along the main north-south avenue in the city. It runs right by the new arena.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

If Detroit comes back like people are hoping it does, population might increase. When that happens, traffic will be bad. You should have a solid mass transit system in preparation for your city to grow. So when it does, you're prepared. Now when or if Detroit does gain population in the future, the new arrivals and already existing Detroiters alike will complain about the construction if the city decides to move forward with a major rail system.

If Detroit comes back like people are hoping it does, population might increase. When that happens, traffic will be bad. You should have a solid mass transit system in preparation for your city to grow. So when it does, you're prepared. Now when or if Detroit does gain population in the future, the new arrivals and already existing Detroiters alike will complain about the construction if the city decides to move forward with a major rail system.
    This is crazy. They are not going to build a subway system in Detroit in anticipation of potential population growth.

Detroit definitely grew out and not up. The Pistons move back downtown is symbolic of the times, though. A lot of people born and raised in Detroit suburbs post-1967 exodus are moving back close to the city. It's definitely on the upswing.

The Detroit public schools are absolutely a dumpster fire, but the problem is you have to draw taxpayers back within the city limits first. The money to change them isn't going to fall from the sky.

It isn't about entertainment dollars as much as it is giving more reasons for people to live in the city.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-05-2017 at 07:45 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

This is crazy. They are not going to build a subway system in Detroit in anticipation of potential population growth.
    They did it here in New York and in Los Angeles. Worked pretty well. Other parts of California have their own rail system too.

They did it here in New York and in Los Angeles. Worked pretty well. Other parts of California have their own rail system too.
    Oh, it's a fine idea but Detroit isn't ready. What I can say is I am glad Detroit is making progress. When I worked there in the late 80's there were burned out houses everywhere. I worked at the GM World HQ and we had to leave before sun down or get shot. A friend's car was stolen out of a parking garage 3 TIME in 9 months. The garage was guarded! People who looked like corpses were walking aroung the building. There is this one woman who opened her mouth and all I could see is rot. Driving during the day you could see people in Cass corridor...which is on the way to the new Piston facility, laying on mattresses on the sidewalk with bottles of booze everywhere. It was the most ridiculous, pathetic thing I had ever seen. ...oh and I will not forget the time a guy jumped on top of my car as I exited the freeway. Scary. I really hope the city cures these problems because with all that said there is a lot to like about Detroit. Motor city or Music city. It is a very cool place otherwise.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Oh, it's a fine idea but Detroit isn't ready. What I can say is I am glad Detroit is making progress. When I worked there in the late 80's there were burned out houses everywhere. I worked at the GM World HQ and we had to leave before sun down or get shot. A friend's car was stolen out of a parking garage 3 TIME in 9 months. The garage was guarded! People who looked like corpses were walking aroung the building. There is this one woman who opened her mouth and all I could see is rot. Driving during the day you could see people in Cass corridor...which is on the way to the new Piston facility, laying on mattresses on the sidewalk with bottles of booze everywhere. It was the most ridiculous, pathetic thing I had ever seen. ...oh and I will not forget the time a guy jumped on top of my car as I exited the freeway. Scary. I really hope the city cures these problems because with all that said there is a lot to like about Detroit. Motor city or Music city. It is a very cool place otherwise.

Detroit still has its name recognition and rich, rich history. That's a good building block for a comeback.

Detroit still has its name recognition and rich, rich history. That's a good building block for a comeback.
    It sure is. Just drive down Woodward and you get the feel. It is a special place with a special history. As much as I thought it was a dump, it has so much potential. Chicago is nice, but Detroit has some style to it.

It sure is. Just drive down Woodward and you get the feel. It is a special place with a special history. As much as I thought it was a dump, it has so much potential. Chicago is nice, but Detroit has some style to it.
    Chicago has the best city architecture in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    Chicago has the best city architecture in the country.
    Maybe so, but Detroit has substance and history. Music and motors. I have family that live in Chicago and the northern and western suburbs. I like Chicago. It's a nice place to visit. But it doesn't have the interesting history and style that Detroit metro has. JMO.

Mood

Maybe so, but Detroit has substance and history. Music and motors. I have family that live in Chicago and the northern and western suburbs. I like Chicago. It's a nice place to visit. But it doesn't have the interesting history and style that Detroit metro has. JMO.
    Pretty unique opinion
    Lifelong pacers fan

Ummm LA doesn't really use theirs... Literally everyone drives in LA. So no idea what you are talking about. As for other parts of California, we have BART in the Bay, which is pretty good. Public transit is actually useful in the Bay and connects really the entire region. Other than that, there really isn't any.