Thread: Will the Simon's agree to pay the luxury tax this year?

cariocapacer

Default Will the Simon's agree to pay the luxury tax this year?

Why is there little talk about how the Pacers are going to get under the cap this year? Unless the owners change their past tune and agree to pay the luxury tax, the Pacers are goiing to have dump players, not add them. Even if they waive Croshere (for the one-time L.T. exemption) the Pacers are way over the cap. Does everyone think it is going to be easy to dump Pollard without taking back equal salary? How are we going to add Saranus, re-sign JJ, sign Dale, and still get under the cap? I don't think we can do any of those yet alone all of them. Ideas?

Default Re: Will the Simon's agree to pay the luxury tax this year?

I think... and could be wrong... that the Simons WOULD pay the tax IF Donnie asked them to. Especially if there was a plan attached to it (ie: how it would be a short term hit AND how we'd be better off for it by being a better team in the short and long runs).

Also, last season has put the team in an awkward position where (serious) fan unrest could be a possibility IF the team would under perform this year. ...to the point of an eroding fanbase. Especially with Reggie gone now. So IMHO an argument could be made on those grounds that we need to suck it up for the long term health of the franchise. If Donnie wants to make that argument.

Again, that assumes Donnie wants to go over the luxury tax AND has financial plan so it isn't a blackhole and perpetual situation.

...I could be wrong and I bet someone will tell me if I am....
    '
    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

We're never gonna be under the salary cap. Period.

The Simon's want to be under the luxury tax limit, which is why I think we're just gonna let Pollard and Reggie's contracts expire without trading them.

As for signing guys, I've heard talk on here that the new CBA allows us to re-sign JJ without using the MLE. I don't think that's right. As I understand it, the new rule (the so-called Arenas/Boozer rule) says that if another team tries to sign him (or any restricted FA from a capped-out team), the first year of such a deal can't exceed the MLE, which allows the original team to use their MLE to re-sign him.

I guess we could split the MLE between JJ and whats-his-name, and give Dale the vet exception. But I only have a BS in Mathematics, so I better defer to the capologists of the board.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We're never gonna be under the salary cap. Period.

The Simon's want to be under the luxury tax limit, which is why I think we're just gonna let Pollard and Reggie's contracts expire without trading them.

As for signing guys, I've heard talk on here that the new CBA allows us to re-sign JJ without using the MLE. I don't think that's right. As I understand it, the new rule (the so-called Arenas/Boozer rule) says that if another team tries to sign him (or any restricted FA from a capped-out team), the first year of such a deal can't exceed the MLE, which allows first team to use their MLE to re-sign him.

I guess we could split the MLE between JJ and whats-his-name, and give Dale the vet exception. But I only have a BS in Mathematics, so I better defer to the capologists of the board.
    grrrrr....

ok...we have early bird rights on jj...(player has played 2 years for us)

we can pay him up to the league average in his first year of the contract without affecting our MLE .....the league average also happens to be the same as the MLE amount....but it has no bearing on the MLE

which means we can sign JJ for up to 5 million a year and it not affect our MLE in any way....

now it surely shouldnt take that much....the question is gonna be what it takes...what others will pay...and what we will be able to pay given our rather large payroll....

and of course if he wants to play here...with artest and granger being around...

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    grrrrr....

ok...we have early bird rights on jj...(player has played 2 years for us)

we can pay him up to the league average in his first year of the contract without affecting our MLE .....the league average also happens to be the same as the MLE amount....but it has no bearing on the MLE

which means we can sign JJ for up to 5 million a year and it not affect our MLE in any way....

now it surely shouldnt take that much....the question is gonna be what it takes...what others will pay...and what we will be able to pay given our rather large payroll....

and of course if he wants to play here...with artest and granger being around...
    If you say so. I think JJ's goin' to Miami, so it doesn't matter anyway.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

foretaz

yea...im quite concerned that might be the case as well....i think they would start him right now over eddie jones and not look back

Why? I have never read a word where Miami is interested in him.

They have Eddie Jones and Quytel Woods who they just picked up the option on. They are paying Eddie $14 million and there is no point in waiving him when they don't look like they are going to be paying the Luxary tax.

Miami is over the cap too so they would have to use their exception to sign JJ, but I've read they are more interested in signing a point.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    Why? I have never read a word where Miami is interested in him.

They have Eddie Jones and Quytel Woods who they just picked up the option on. They are paying Eddie $14 million and there is no point in waiving him when they don't look like they are going to be paying the Luxary tax.

Miami is over the cap too so they would have to use their exception to sign JJ, but I've read they are more interested in signing a point.
    in this case i dont think its about what weve read, but more about what we know....

hes from miami...went to high school and college there....probably would love being home...

and hes a great fit on that team....his ability to shoot the three on that team would be great....like i said...hed probably takeover a lot of eddie jones minutes pretty quick like....i could see him playing the 3 for a while in miami and being very happy to do it....he could definitely be a candidate for a sixth man role there...which is far better than what he will have here....

so lets see....possibility of being sixth man on hometown team....bit scary to me...

Diesel

Losing James Jones isn't a big deal anymore. We have Freddie Jones, Steven Jackson, Ron Artest, Danny Granger and hell if Bender decides hes wants to stay healthy and play thats 5 guys for two spots. Unless we plan on moving a couple of these guys resigning James Jones I don't think is a huge priority.

cariocapacer

Ah , we continue to avoid the question - instead of ideas of how to avoid the luxury tax we get more ideas of how to *increase* payroll!