Thread: Zeke and the City

Hybrid View

NewYawk

Default Zeke and the City

With all the Isiah talk, I just wanted to bring up a thread commenting on Zeke's work with the Knicks. I really haven't talked about it both in this forum or in the Star's. I live in NY, and it's weird to hear NYer's POVs on Zeke and compare them with Hoosier's views on the man.

I'll start by saying that although I liked Zeke as a coach in Indy, he is NOT doing a good job in NY with the Knicks. Yes, the team is better. Yes, he walked into THE most difficult job in the NBA. Yes, he was handed an impossible task. Still, I disagree with how he's doing things, though his methods may have a lot to do with what his owners are telling him.

Stephon Marbury is HIGHLY overrated. Bad PG with all the defensive skills of a slug. He is whiney, lazy, and often blames teammates for his own shortcomings. He was brought in soley to energize the NY fan base. He is a proven loser who will get fat and full of himself in NY.

Penny Hardaway, Allan Houston, Tim Thomas-- medicore to bad players making as much or more money than KOBE BRYANT. All three are bad defenders and rebounders. All three can shoot the ball.

Muhammed and Vin Baker. Lazy post defenders with potential. Muhammed gets pushed around a lot and Baker has addicition problems.

If you look at it, these trades and additions have done very little to help the Knicks both now and in the long run. They morgaged their futire to get Chumpbary (lots of draft picks), and they are an astounding $80 million over the cap.

If Donnie Walsh or Larry Bird ran the Pacers like this, they wouldn't make it out of the parking lot. I see no present or future success with this team. They stink, and since they play in the Garden (home of the HORRID NY Rangers hockey team) they stink, on ice!

Why can't Dolan and these other morons get the hint? YOU NEED DRAFT PICKS TO REBUILD YOUR TEAM!!! Look at Indy, LA Lakers, San Antonio, Houston, or even Cleveland!!! I like Zeke, but the job hes doing in NY is just plain bad. Then again, if this is what his bosses want, maybe there's nothing he can do.

Sports Logo

Default Re: Zeke and the City

I think his job was the change the aditude and get them into the playoffs this year. He has done that (at the expense of the future but he did it.)

However they will not make it out of the first round without help from the reffs. If he would have stopped one trade sooner they would have been better than they are right now.

But as a Pacer fan who hates the Knicks with a burning passion I am happy with what he has done to them. I could not have ruined them any better myself. Actually makes me like him a little more.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thomas' fatal flaw seems to be that he recognizes atheltic talent but he is unable or unwilling to look at how that talent fits into the team concept.

Marbury is extremely talented but he seems to be a horrible teammate and a headcase. I don't think it was a coincidence that when he first got to NY he was getting assists at near record numbers and the team was winning. Then he went back to shoot first, pass never and the team started losing.

Tim Thomas is another physically gifted athlete, but he seems to be a horrible team fit and he heads off to being a head case as well. He doesn't seem to like to play defense and he seems to take bad shots at inopportune times.

When Isiah was coach here, he did a bad job of building a team concept. This is where Carlisle has excelled. A true team has different roles filled by different people. Everyone on the team knows, understands and accepts their roles and the team wins. Consequently when a particular player is not doing well or is out altogether, the other components of the team are able to compensate because they understand what role that person had and they know what needs to be done. Thomas needs to learn that you don't achieve this by just getting the most talent - you have to have talent AND a willingness to work with others.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

FW - very true.

Every player on the second unit for the last three seasons knew that if they didn't produce points immediately, they'd get pulled.

It amazes me that anyone wonders why the chemistry and teamwork - especially for our second unit - was just horrible. We were definetely "one for me and none for all" the previous three seasons. That's it, I'll start calling Rick "Robin Hood."

I don't buy that the Knickerbockers GM is a hard job at all. You've got an unlimited payroll, and every player in the league would like to play thier home games in The Garden. Yes, Layden really screwed it up and made it a mess to clean up. But take this one step further: that's why I'm even more impressed with Jerry West in Memphis than ever before.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

The current Knicks team has not had a chance to play together. Three of the starters are new to the team.

At least now, for the forseeable future, the Knicks have a strong point guard and a guy who might become a decent center to pair with Allan Houston who is more untradable than Austin Croshere.

NewYawk

The current Knicks team has not had a chance to play together. Three of the starters are new to the team.

At least now, for the forseeable future, the Knicks have a strong point guard and a guy who might become a decent center to pair with Allan Houston who is more untradable than Austin Croshere.
    I'm sorry Sixthman, but Allan Houston is not "more tradable" than Austin Croshere. Medicore SGs with arthritic knees that make more money than Kobe Bryant are not more tradable than a 6'10'' big man who can shoot from the perimeter and sets good picks. Croshere isn't perfect, but don't insult him by ranking a complete waste of flesh like Houston ahead of him.

FW, you make a great, great point.

Isiah made one trade too many, they miss Van Horn, I think

Sports Logo

Um he said more un-tradable

NewYawk

Um he said more un-tradable
    My bad.

Isiah made one trade too many, they miss Van Horn, I think
    For this year, I'd agree Isiah set things back some. But I think getting Nazr is a good thing for the Knicks in the long run. Without Nazr the Knicks have absolutely nothing going for them at center for the forseeable future.

Plus I like the VanHorn trade from a personal standpoint. Keith is a rotation player at forward on my fantasy team and his contribution has improved as a Buck.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

It amazes me that anyone wonders why the chemistry and teamwork - especially for our second unit - was just horrible. We were definetely "one for me and none for all" the previous three seasons. That's it, I'll start calling Rick "Robin Hood."

"all for one and one for all" - if that's what you're referring to - is 3 musketeers, not robin hood. robin hood steals from the rich to feed the poor, which i don't see happening yet. not until we steal the trophy from the lakers, anyway

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

"all for one and one for all" - if that's what you're referring to - is 3 musketeers, not robin hood. robin hood steals from the rich to feed the poor, which i don't see happening yet. not until we steal the trophy from the lakers, anyway

D'oh!!
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you