Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If Bird's Pendng Trade involves Tinsley ...

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default If Bird's Pendng Trade involves Tinsley ...

A few questions if Bird's trade talk ends up involving Tins:

1. Who is out there that has been identified as an acceptable replacement--not necessarily better than Mel but better for the Pacers?

2. Does the draft--especially the teams who got top point guards--improve our chances at trading for a point guard?

3. Who is this Sarunas guy? Can someone provide some links? How can so much talk about him getting serious minutes with us be going on about a guy who's never played in the NBA? And why wasn't he part of the draft?

4. Does anyone have any solid information about Granger playing the 1? I've heard a few offhand remarks about it, but it seems kind of silly.

I know a bunch of you don't want to trade Tinsley. But my big hope this summer is that Bird finds the stones to make some kind of trade for a more reliable, decently skilled point guard who can consistently hit from outside. I strongly feel that this is the major key to us winning a championship.

Default Re: If Bird's Pendng Trade involves Tinsley ...

1) Nobody that's available
    2) No
    3) some over seas guy. There is talk of serious minutes of him by silly people.
    4) thats' sillier than Sarunas talk

I'll hope that Bird keeps his sanity and evaluation skills that means Tins is our PG of the present and future.

i do not think tinsley will be traded.......i kind of have a feeling freddie will go though b/c it sounds as if LB is going to resign JJ and go after sarunas.....who is a combo guard.

a little more on sarunas....he's a 6'4" PG/SG...probably more of a point but b/c of his size, he can play SG. he is a flat out scorer and an unbelievable 3 pt shooter and he is CLUTCH. he's a God over in europe, fans worship him, hands down the best player over there. he wins the championship year in and year out and picks up MVP awards. played 4 years at Maryland but really became good back home in europe. he played against the US in the olympics as part of the lithuanian team that beat us. he avg. like 28 pts a game that summer. he seriously is just like reggie with his clutch 3 pt shooting.

granger can't play the 1......he'll be a stud at the 3 in a few years.....all around game like artest.

pacerman, have you seen sarunas play?

the guy is unbelievable.......don't judge him by other euro players. there is something special about him.....he absolutely torched the US team with his 3 pt shooting. the shots were well guarded too...anything he threw up went down.

he's the michael jordan of european basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A few questions if Bird's trade talk ends up involving Tins:

Whoa! What trade talk? If you are referring to Bird saying the Pacers are not done it doesn't necessarily follow that he wants to do a trade. He might be planning on signing Sarunas, and that doesn't mean a trade.

There's a provision in the new contract called the Arenas provision whereby we could resign JJ. Then we could split the mid level exception between Sarunas and Dale.

after the draft bird said something about how the roster still needed some tweaking and that we weren't done yet.

i think he'll at least make a play for either allen, redd, or magloire using a combination of any of the following AJ/freddie/pollard/s-jax(for redd or allen)/maybe bender or foster/picks.

whether we get one or not remains to be seen

1. Who is out there that has been identified as an acceptable replacement--not necessarily better than Mel but better for the Pacers?
    I know Jason Terry is avaliable.

2. Does the draft--especially the teams who got top point guards--improve our chances at trading for a point guard?
    I don't know that the draft has anything to do with Indiana's chances for trading for a point guard, I think it really all relys on A) Tinsley's health, B) Who is avaliable.

3. Who is this Sarunas guy? Can someone provide some links? How can so much talk about him getting serious minutes with us be going on about a guy who's never played in the NBA? And why wasn't he part of the draft?
    He is 29 years old and he has been a winner every where he goes. He is a true point guard who can really shoot the ball and is a great leader. Only question will be his defense.

4. Does anyone have any solid information about Granger playing the 1? I've heard a few offhand remarks about it, but it seems kind of silly.
    I don't think he will ever be play the point guard. Not a bad ball handler from what I know. I think he will be able to do alot of things well though.

I want to know about Sauron's defense. Is it really bad, or average like Tinsley's?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    I want to know about Sauron's defense. Is it really bad, or average like Tinsley's?
    Why do you keep calling him Sauron?

defense is questionable........i would say that is the only real downside to his game. i don't know if it's that bad, but he's definitely not known for his D.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    1) Nobody that's available
    2) No
    3) some over seas guy. There is talk of serious minutes of him by silly people.
    4) thats' sillier than Sarunas talk

I'll hope that Bird keeps his sanity and evaluation skills that means Tins is our PG of the present and future.

pacerman, pacerman, pacerman....

antonio daniels is an interesting name...possibly brevin knight....

the knicks got another point guard....and theyve got a bunch already...though im not sure which one, if any,ud really want

sarunas will get major minutes on a team.....he wont necessarily start...but will see significant minutes....

hes the best player in europe by most accounts....hes won titles in europe at an alarming rate...

he would play significant minutes here....he would play solid minutes behind tinsley if all things remain the same, as well as minutes at the 2.....hes truly a combo guard.....he was an offguard in college and has since become much more of a combo guard and learned to play the point and bettered his ballhandling.....if he comes here, he almost positively becomes the 1st guard off the bench....my only real concern with him is how he will fare on the defensive end...there seems to be little doubt in anyones mind he will be quite effective on the offensive end-despite never having played an nba game yet...

as far as granger playing the 1...not likely...possibly a point forward type of role would be about as close as u might get....hes a wing player that could see a very few minutes as a backup at the 4, in a pinch...

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Why do you keep calling him Sauron?
    Well, I can't spell his name anyhow, and Anthem did, and I thought it was funny.

It is either Sauron or Saras, and I really don't like Saras.

I'll find some other abbreviation sometime.

Crap, his own website says 'Saras?' Gosh, I'm so not hip. Saras it is, I guess. Sounds like I'm talking about multiple girls named Sara though.

foretaz

just call him sajak...

As in the famous Pat Sajak? ;oD

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

led the 2003-04 Euroleague in free throws shooting percentage (92,5%).

I like him already!!

Here's apoint....Reggie retiring and everybody ready to dump AC...who's shooting the FT's????
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    led the 2003-04 Euroleague in free throws shooting percentage (92,5%).

I like him already!!

Here's apoint....Reggie retiring and everybody ready to dump AC...who's shooting the FT's????
    Good question, but still 30 mio is a bit much for a FT shooter
    I noticed last year JO has vastly improved his FT shooting, if he keeps that up I have confidence, JJ is awesome from the line, (86% career) and will only improve, Granger is not supposed to be to bad, but I think overall the team needs to improve in general.
    None of them crack 80%
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by able
    Good question, but still 30 mio is a bit much for a FT shooter
    I noticed last year JO has vastly improved his FT shooting, if he keeps that up I have confidence, JJ is awesome from the line, (86% career) and will only improve, Granger is not supposed to be to bad, but I think overall the team needs to improve in general.
    None of them crack 80%
    what is that?

in answer to:

foretaz

in answer to:
    i gathered that....but what is 30 mio?

mio = million

foretaz

mio = million

implication being its gonna cost 30 million to keep croshere the next two years?

mio = million
    Million.

That's cleared up but I still don't know what you are talking about. Who gets 30 million? Sarunas wants a 3 year $10 million contract. Cro still has 2 years left on his at $18.5 million. Put them together and they still don't add up to $30 million, so what are you talking about?

sorry, in combination with my earlier explanation that keeping Cro will likely cost the Pacers 30 million dollar over 2 years
    (LT approx at 65 -66 mio, cliff at 70-71) we are close to 80 for this coming season, without a drop, so "keeping" Cro lands us firmly in LT land, meaning 1=1 fine above 65 mio, in other words 15 mio, times 2 = 30 million dollars, which would be the cost to keep the FT shooter on the team.