Thread: OT: Hacker?????

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default OT: Hacker?????

I leave my computer on overnight, but not logged onto the internet.

5:30 this AM I checked my email and found that I was already logged into the net. My start-up page was not active but when I check my status box it showed that I had been logged in for about 3 1/2 hours. Is it possible for someone to log me in? Uh oh, I just remembered too, I have it set to remember my login password on emulation.

OK so can I be hacked by remote if I ain't logged in?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo

Default Re: OT: Hacker?????

To you have allow remote access checked?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is this your home computer? If so it sounds like geezer Jr. might've been doing some late night surfing. If you're talking about work, the cleaning crew could've been the ones browsing online.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Mood

Talking about home computer and I have no idea where to check to allow remote access...is there a spot where that could have been done?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Using land line dial up.

Sounds like another chat with Geezer Jr. will be coming up. NO WAY Mrs. G gets up in the middle of the night. NOTHING moves her outta that sleep (except "somebody" snoring).

Before you start smacking the young un around, check a few facts:

1. your browser history, what sites were visited "last" (or are all gone, if so = human intervention)
    2. what are your dial-up settings, it can be that upon f.i. certain program triggers the dial-up connects automagically, some people have lost a nice sum leaving that and the computer on when going on holiday, using prime numbers.
    3. check your auto-run programs
    4. check your email settings, some email programs are set to get mail at certain intervals and will dial-up all by themselves.

If there are sites visited after you went to bed (sites you haven't visited) then there was human intervention.

in NO WAY can a "hacker" or script kiddie start your computer remotely, unless he has a remote boot device hidden in your house.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Mood

Will do able...although not certain about bits of 2 and 3. No new email arrived overnight and isn't set to load until I log into my email service.

The history file will be checked as soon as I get home.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Check your History and Temp folders.

See what the little bugger was doing.

Mood

The wife just called. She said that she found the internet had been "left on" when she got home from work. In other words, weither I left it on this morning or it became logged on after I left for work... and I'm the last one out of the house of a morning. The wife and kids leave before me and she gets home about noon.

Now it is entirely possible that I didn't logout this morning, but...

blah, sounds so familiar, you sure you no client of me ?

anyway, most likely event: you have either a virus, OR a spuware proggie that "wants" to connect and does so, to check:

unplug the phone, go to internetsettings and select "never dial a connection"
    the restart the puter and see what the screen says, i'll give you 10 -1 that a "connect" interface shows up.
    When that is the case:

run latest update on AV software, scan the disk.
    run spybot and click everything it shows, solve and close.

restart computer, repeat steps above one more time for good measure.
    restart computer and if no "connect" screen shows, stick the phone back in,

have fun

Mood

I updated and ran both my McAfee Virus scan and my Spybot on Sunday evening, late. SPybot found exactly one cookie. McAfee said I was "clean". But who really knows. I'll try your method.

Um, internet settings? "never dial a connection" where is this, I;ve seen it but not sure where.

Client of yours? Elucidate.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Um, internet settings? "never dial a connection" where is this, I;ve seen it but not sure where.
    At the top of your browser, go to Tools > Internet Options > Connections

Click on "Never dial a connection" and Apply.

Mood

Gal here sent her hubbie an email re: my problem (he's an IT techie). He told her there is a Trojan Horse that acts that way but it comes in across eith High SPeed Internet or DSL. SInce I'm a 56K dial-up modem kinda guy (cheapskate) Iguess it wouldn't be that.

Mood

It's now 12:15 AM I started as soon as the game was over and I just got on-line after pulling many teeth and much hair out.

Ran Mcafee Virus scan nada
    Ran Spybot zilch

Ran Scandisc...ok now the problems begin....everytime the freaking screensaver pops up it starts over with the scan...(Geezer Jr has installed his own screensaver and I can;t find the )(*^^&89 thing to turn it off...it comes off 1st thing in AM)
    ALSO every few minutes my dial=up box appears outta nowhere...why I DON"T FREAKING KNOW!!!!! Again the system starts the scan over every time this happens.
    I shut the freaking system down, power down, re-boot and installed a firewall which is now operational. I will run SCANDISC tomorrow after I get the screensaver shutdown. (I will also powerdown before going to bed tonight)

grrrrrr I may have to shoot a monitor or two before this is over.

how many users on the system (as for starters, what Operating System you using, as Windows XP or 2K or ME or whatever) if XP then > how many users, check users settings on email (outlook; tools, options, mail setup, send receive, check when it checks for mail)

next run spybot again, in advanced mode, select tools, system startup and mail me the list that comes out of that.

finally get me a list of programs on your computer, OR if you are running XP email me and i will explain how to give me access so i can have a direct look to fix your problems.

you can reach me at abel@able-towers.com