Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are people saying AJ is on the block?

Hybrid View

Mood

Default Why are people saying AJ is on the block?

Is it because we're reportedly interested in Sarunas? I can see that.

But it seems like some have read something I haven't; that we've been shopping him around or something like that. Where is this coming from?

Default Re: Why are people saying AJ is on the block?

I heard it yesterday on an Indy Sportscenter update (ESPN 950)...Take that for what it's worth. It also mentioned that he and Jonathan were on the trade block and the already-talked-about-here Ron Artest and Paul Pierce suspicions of being dealt by David.

Chest Rockwell

In order to get Sarunas to come to the NBA, Bird is going to have to convince him that he'll get major minutes. That means either getting rid of Tinsley or AJ, and Tinsley isn't going anywhere.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In order to get Sarunas to come to the NBA, Bird is going to have to convince him that he'll get major minutes. That means either getting rid of Tinsley or AJ, and Tinsley isn't going anywhere.
    Yes. And I would MUCH rather have Sarunas then AJ.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacers67
    Yes. And I would MUCH rather have Sarunas then AJ.
    REALLY!

I've been speculating that Bird is after Sarunas for weeks now, and I've even speculated that Bird might trade Tins if we got Sarunas.

But reports are Sarunas is slow by NBA standards so he might not be any better of a ball player than AJ.

So isn't it kind of premature to rather have Sarunus, an NBA unknown, rather than AJ?

That's like having a girl friend that's nice, and dumping her to go on a blind date with someone you were told was better.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    That's like having a girl friend that's nice, and dumping her to go on a blind date with someone you were told was better.
    Of course, this wouldn't be a blind date. We've had to have scouted him.

Sports Logo

It was that David Aldridge blurb on the radio that we read about earlier with Artest.

I think that everyone is always on the block....its just a matter of getting a player in return that will satisfy Bird's needs. If Bird doesn't get the backup PG that he wants....then he ain't budging on any trades.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

IMO opinion everyone is on the block, because no one on this team is untouchable. Each player has a pretty large question mark or flaw.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Besides Granger, because we haven't seen him playing a game yet, so he's perfect so far.

Quote Originally Posted by wooolus
    Besides Granger, because we haven't seen him playing a game yet, so he's perfect so far.
    Youth and inexperience?

Also, this is the perfect time to trade AJ. He had a career season, and proved that he can start in this league. Lots of teams are starving for a starting-caliber PG, and would pay hansomely for one, namely the Rockets. Not to mention that AJ is Van Gundy's type of PG: careful with the ball, passes first, can hit an open jumper, can play physical defense.

It just makes sense to trade him now while his value is very high.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    Also, this is the perfect time to trade AJ. He had a career season, and proved that he can start in this league. Lots of teams are starving for a starting-caliber PG, and would pay hansomely for one, namely the Rockets. Not to mention that AJ is Van Gundy's type of PG: careful with the ball, passes first, can hit an open jumper, can play physical defense.

It just makes sense to trade him now while his value is very high.
    I like AJ, and I agree with everything you said except this. AJ for a 1 is a horrible ball handler. Against Boston they would trap him like crazy, they backed off Jamaal.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    I like AJ, and I agree with everything you said except this. AJ for a 1 is a horrible ball handler. Against Boston they would trap him like crazy, they backed off Jamaal.
    That doesn't mean he's not careful with it. You're both right. AJ is careful with the ball because he can't do nearly as much with it as Tinsley can.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    That doesn't mean he's not careful with it. You're both right. AJ is careful with the ball because he can't do nearly as much with it as Tinsley can.
    And I think that is exactly why he is a valuable component of this team. I believe that AJ, Foster and DD know their own limitations better than the other players on our team. They "play within themselves", doing the things they are capable of doing, and avoiding those things that they are not capable of doing.

----

As for trading AJ to make room for "Saras", I would say that wouldn't be done until Bird is absolutely certain that he has a deal for Saras. You certainly wouldn't trade away a viable member of your team to demonstrate that you have created minutes for him.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Don't trade AJ!
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I'd hate to lose AJ but if it means we can get someone better for our team then it has to be done.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Don't know the true origins of the speculation, but I know that considering AJ a piece of a trade follows good logic.

Meaning: up until now he's been an underrated talent who just got invaluable experience (and got a lot better). He is also a total bargain. All this adds up to mean that he is a desirable asset for any team, and could be used as leverage by the Pacers to swing a deal that otherwise wouldn't fly.

I also include Foster on the short list of Pacers players that fit this mold.

I like AJ, a lot. I want to keep him around if possible.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I have not seen that we are anywhere, which may be the biggest indicator that we are.

It makes since though, AJ is...hmmmm! You can watch AJ and say man he is doing a nice job as either the backup or starting PG. But AJ has one thing that really plagues him from ever being a real good PG, he has very poor handle of the ball. We have to devise skeems to get the ball up court with him and then by the time we get in our Offense there is 10-12 Secs left on the shot clock. The O gets hurried does not make good picks/cuts etc..
    and someone ends up going 1 on 1.
    I really feel that is an issue that we must improve at this year.

AJ is easy to like but we will not win a championship with him as the backup PG, especially with Tins as he is not the most durable.

AJ is one of the best leaders on the Pacers team. His lteammates like him, and I believe he is very valuable. I hope he goes nowhere

As long as Tins is our starting PG we need both our 2nd and 3rd PG's capable of stepping up to play the position above if he becomes re-injured.

Tins/Sarunas/AJ is close to Billups/Hunter/Arroyo

I hope he is still with us next season.

I'm not quite sure I understand why anyone would want to trade AJ. He was definitely the best backup pg in the league last season. He proved that he can start if needed and hit some BIG shots during our run for the playoffs.

He has heart and has been mentioned, plays within his ablilities. It doesn't make any sense to trade him unless he's part of a large trade package, which I personally hope we don't do.

foretaz

aj would certainly be a great 3rd pg.....but thats not fair to him or does the team want to pay that kind of money for a 3pg....

aj was a great contributor last year...his stock is at an alltime high.....

his style of play would be better suited in a number of other teams....we need an upgrade at the backup pg.....its not so much a better player than aj, just a different type of player than aj......there are a number of teams that would love to have aj....where he could probably be much more effective and appreciated than he will be here NEXT year....

we all should be incredibly appreciative for what all he did last year....if we trade him now we should be able to get quite a decent return....and saras would seem to be a much better fit offensively for our team....

maybe aj can go to houston and we all can be better off...who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    aj would certainly be a great 3rd pg.....but thats not fair to him or does the team want to pay that kind of money for a 3pg....

aj was a great contributor last year...his stock is at an alltime high.....

his style of play would be better suited in a number of other teams....we need an upgrade at the backup pg.....its not so much a better player than aj, just a different type of player than aj......there are a number of teams that would love to have aj....where he could probably be much more effective and appreciated than he will be here NEXT year....

we all should be incredibly appreciative for what all he did last year....if we trade him now we should be able to get quite a decent return....and saras would seem to be a much better fit offensively for our team....

maybe aj can go to houston and we all can be better off...who knows...
    Actually, we are probably one of the better fits for AJ. Anthony is slow and has weak handles, so he has to play on a team that likes to play slow. He is a great fit here.

You mentioned the team not wanting to pay that kind of money for a 3rd PG. While that might be true, I would think the bigger concern would be the fact that Mr. Half-Season is getting ready to cash in on his huge extension.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Actually, we are probably one of the better fits for AJ. Anthony is slow and has weak handles, so he has to play on a team that likes to play slow. He is a great fit here.

You mentioned the team not wanting to pay that kind of money for a 3rd PG. While that might be true, I would think the bigger concern would be the fact that Mr. Half-Season is getting ready to cash in on his huge extension.
    u described why he would be a much better fit for houston...and why he is quickly becoming a bad fit here....the brawl changed everything....

ur going to see much more uptempo type offense....bird wants to run....we have the athletes to play pressure defense and get out and run....the brawl and injuries changed the way we had to play last year....but early on we saw signs of a different kind of team....

the pacers have the talent and the personnel to play much more aggressively....the more uptempo they play, the more their depth comes into play....last year we needed to shorten the game...lessen the number of possessions to hopefully find a way to be in the game at the end....

with a full roster, thats not the case.....with a roster as athletic and talented as we have, ur not going to see that team slow it down at all costs...we started to see that last year, then got derailed on nov. 19....