Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lance Stephenson — face of the Pacers’ new era :)

Default Re: Lance Stephenson — face of the Pacers’ new era :)

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't go this far, but I don't see Lance as the transformational leader that many do. The mini-Magic Johnson wheeling and dealing the Pacers to success this season. But I do think Lance has an NBA talent that can be used successfully if surrounded by the right kind of team mates, mainly shooters. If the Pacers can recreate the success Lance had at Memphis for 20 mpg, then he will be successfully used by the coaching staff. I fear that there is a fine line here. Too much court time, wrong mix of players, too much success, too little success, too broad a level of responsibility, the tinkering must be exact to get good play out of Lance. He has an NBA skill, but his quality of play falls off quickly when he has to do something that is not his exact skill.
    There is no fine line. I don't know where that comes from. Also, his game is anything but narrow. He has a broad set of skills. No, he's not a lights out shooter. Otherwise there's not much to complain about.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    He's home. He will be playing well into his 30's in Indy. Like a decade.
    Not really. We'll have a lot of cap space next Summer and the Summer after that. I doubt KP will let Lance being overpaid get in the way of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I was just basing it off of the team makeup.

I imagine that the team views him as a 2. They've acquired two PGs, and Nate said that Bojan was going into the season as the starter at the 3.

Unless Lance plays the 3 this year, I dont see where he starts
    Nate said Bojan starts training camp as the starter at the 3, not the season.

I bet GRIII starts first game.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Not really. We'll have a lot of cap space next Summer and the Summer after that. I doubt KP will let Lance being overpaid get in the way of that.
    Lance is locked into A VERY CHEAP 4+ mil contract until the Summer of 2019. That's 2 full seasons for a 6th Man / Starter at a bargain bin price tag.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Lance is locked into A VERY CHEAP 4+ mil contract until the Summer of 2019. That's 2 full seasons for a 6th Man / Starter at a bargain bin price tag.
    Next Summer is a team option correct? Depending on if we need the cap space or not, they might decide to keep him.

If - IF - IF - IF Lance can accept, learn, understand, embrace and execute his ROLE on this team, I can see the advantages of having multiple options for ball handling, playmaking, P&R-ing, etc. If he goes out there and plays street ball - it doesn't stand a chance. I'm not sure he's capable of doing what a team needs as opposed to doing WTF he feels like doing. Love it if he could, but ..........

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    If - IF - IF - IF Lance can accept, learn, understand, embrace and execute his ROLE on this team, I can see the advantages of having multiple options for ball handling, playmaking, P&R-ing, etc. If he goes out there and plays street ball - it doesn't stand a chance. I'm not sure he's capable of doing what a team needs as opposed to doing WTF he feels like doing. Love it if he could, but ..........
    You take the good with the bad, and there's a lot more good. Stop thinking about it, strap it on and enjoy the ride.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Next Summer is a team option correct? Depending on if we need the cap space or not, they might decide to keep him.
    Might?...

Why would they give up their cheapest and best player? Man, a year ago people had him in China. Some are now saying he's an incredible bargain. But we have others that are looking to kick him to the curb. He's home people. Welcome him back.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Might?...

Why would they give up their cheapest and best player? Man, a year ago people had him in China. Some are now saying he's an incredible bargain. But we have others that are looking to kick him to the curb. He's home people. Welcome him back.

Oh I love Lance man. BUT.... if holding his salary slot keeps us from landing an elite talent to put next to Myles and Oladipo next Summer or the Summer after? Well, you already know what my answer is.

Oh I love Lance man. BUT.... if holding his salary slot keeps us from landing an elite talent to put next to Myles and Oladipo next Summer or the Summer after? Well, you already know what my answer is.
    I guess I have one serious question for you. Why would you even consider moving a guy who a) played a key starter role the last time the Pacers contended, b) led that team in assists, rebounds and FG%, c) comes at a bargain basement price...paid peanuts compared to value, d) has little market value outside I465, e) loves the State of Indiana and the Pacers and will be loyal forever and finally f) has a fan base that is stronger than any other since Reggie Miller?

I guess I have one serious question for you. Why would you even consider moving a guy who a) played a key starter role the last time the Pacers contended, b) led that team in assists, rebounds and FG%, c) comes at a bargain basement price...paid peanuts compared to value, d) has little market value outside I465, e) loves the State of Indiana and the Pacers and will be loyal forever and finally f) has a fan base that is stronger than any other since Reggie Miller?

Because Cousins, Butler, Kyrie, or whomever else might be available. We need to add elite talent next to Myles and seriously contend as quickly as possible. Otherwise, Myles will walk in another few years also. Keep in mind players don't need to wait out their contracts in this current environment. All a player needs to do is make it crystal clear they're unhappy with the teams direction, and want or desire a trade. That's all it takes to get the ball rolling.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    Nate said Bojan starts training camp as the starter at the 3, not the season.

I bet GRIII starts first game.
    I'd be highly sirprised if Robinson is the starter

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Myles won't be an UFA until the summer of 2024 or 2025. He's not going anywhere for a long time.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:

sav

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    he disappeared midway through the season into the playoffs
    and Lance disappeared for three years well into his career.

Myles is 21 years old. This isn't Lance's team. Nothing about this team is being based around Lance. Lance is just a fan favorite. Hopefully he will have a good year. Maybe he will be a piece moving forward. But this team is betting on Myles Turner.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Because Cousins, Butler, Kyrie, or whomever else might be available. We need to add elite talent next to Myles and seriously contend as quickly as possible. Otherwise, Myles will walk in another few years also. Keep in mind players don't need to wait out their contracts in this current environment. All a player needs to do is make it crystal clear they're unhappy with the teams direction, and want or desire a trade. That's all it takes to get the ball rolling.
    Lance's small contract isn't going to be needed if you have a real shot at those players. That's why you may have grey hair before Lance leaves the Pacer court for good.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    What if lance came flying out the gate this year. Averaging 20/6/6 on the season. Leads pacers to the playoffs. Makes the all-star team. Not saying it will happen, BUT WHAT IF?!?!?!
    Then I think you'd have to go ahead and retire his jersey after the first round playoff loss.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Imagine if you told us 5 years ago that the guy making choke signs to Lebron from the bench will be the sole survivor from the team in 5 years.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

I'm just glad I don't have to change my username
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    I'm just glad I don't have to change my username
    That's right brother. You can keep that the rest of your life.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Except he's not. It's Turner.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    You know that warm and fuzzy feeling many of you are feeling after reading that article. I feel none of that, none, zero, nada.
    LOL I knew that was coming!

I would have made Turner the face of the franchise. I did wonder while reading that article is PG felt a little jealous of the reaction that Stephenson gets here. PG wants to be loved and while he was very very popular he seemed to want to have the kind of love that everyone has for Reggie. Hey man Reggie earned that over 18 years, play here for your entire career and you will see it too, but he did not seem to be willing to wait.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Unless Lance is a detriment to the team, the Front Office would be stupid to not pick up his team option. He's super cheap for a rotational player.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    he disappeared midway through the season into the playoffs
    Which correlated, I think, with an injury to his shooting hand?

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

As to the 'face of the franchise' stuff, let their play on the floor determine that, but personally I'm not a fan of the concept in general. Right now Lance had all the buzz in his brief return at the end of last year, so that's who it is at the moment. Personally I don't really care much who the 'face' is because whoever that guy is, as we seem to be learning, becomes not only one of our best players, but also one of the players most likely to want greener pastures elsewhere eventually and/or the most likely to become the prima donna of the franchise.

So I'm coming around to wanting another 2012-esque roster with a bunch of good players and/or upcoming players, but no big 'stars' which is what I think of when I think about 'face of the franchise' more than anything.

That year, it was George Hill, Paul George, Danny Granger, David West, and Roy Hibbert when all were upcoming or established. If we could re-capture something like that, and God willing it doesn't all unravel the same way, then yes please.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    As to the 'face of the franchise' stuff, let their play on the floor determine that, but personally I'm not a fan of the concept in general. Right now Lance had all the buzz in his brief return at the end of last year, so that's who it is at the moment. Personally I don't really care much who the 'face' is because whoever that guy is, as we seem to be learning, becomes not only one of our best players, but also one of the players most likely to want greener pastures elsewhere eventually and/or the most likely to become the prima donna of the franchise.

So I'm coming around to wanting another 2012-esque roster with a bunch of good players and/or upcoming players, but no big 'stars' which is what I think of when I think about 'face of the franchise' more than anything.

That year, it was George Hill, Paul George, Danny Granger, David West, and Roy Hibbert when all were upcoming or established. If we could re-capture something like that, and God willing it doesn't all unravel the same way, then yes please.
    Suddenly Unclebuck is OK with Lance being the "face of the franchise."
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post: