Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what do you do now if you were Bird?

Default So what do you do now if you were Bird?

I think I would
    A. Let James Jones and Dale go. Hate to lose both but Jones, as good as he may become, I think Grainger will be better. Dale I would love to have back but he is old, he really looked old late in the year.

B. Sign Sarunas to Mid Level exception, will be a fantastic backup PG.

C. Put together a deal to get Maglore. Not sure what it would take
    most likley Fred+1st rd pick next year and Pollard? Looks like that would work
    Salary wise.

D. Release Austin

E. Find a trade for a good shooting backup 2 guard. Not sure who that would be but they would need to be able to shoot the 3 and defend the smaller 2's since we will loose Freddy. Use Bender/AJ for this. This could be tough and nothing may come out of it. Worse case we can use AJ as backup 2 and let Jon sit in his usual chair.

Then we would look like this.

PG Tinsley/Sarunas/Gill
    SG Jackson/????/Artest
    SF Artest/Grainger/Jackson
    PF JO/Foster
    C Maglore/Hulk

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: So what do you do now if you were Bird?

It would take a hell of lot more than Fred, Pollard, and a 1st rounder for Magloire.

I'd go after Magloire, giving up Artest
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

1. I agree James Jones is probably gone. If we can work something out, great, but I don't think he wants to be third string.

2. Nobody's going to bid against us for Dale. We offer him the veteran's minimum.

3. It won't take the full midlevel to pick up Sauron. He wants an opportunity to play, and $10mil over 3 years. That means a starting salary of $2.75 mil. That's half the MLE.

4. Go get the best big man coach available. Person's a great guy, but he's a shooter, not a post player.

5. Trade Croshere to Houston for Spoon/Baker. It's cheaper than waiving him, he goes to a good situation, and we get two ending contracts to use. If they won't trade, though, then we waive him. He's played his last game as a Pacer.

6. Start talking to Seattle. Since we're not willing to give up our pick, I'm not sure if we have the juice to get a trade done for Allen. Jax/Pollard/AJ/future first probably isn't enough to get it done, but I'm not sure I'm willing to swap Foster and Pollard. If they would do it, that puts us here:

Foster / Hulk / DD
    JO / Bender / Spoon / Baker
    Artest / Granger
    Allen / Freddy
    Tinsley / Sauron / Gill

Two holes as I see it: A backup swingman and upgrade Gill to a better combo guard. If we could keep JJ, we'd solve the first. Swapping Gill for Jay Williams would solve the second. Both of those options are probably pipe dreams. Still, though, there's always talent available at those two positions. That's a very good team.

If we have to waive Croshere, then we're stuck with the question of how much we trust Bender. Do we go after a D.Marshall type? I have no idea how that would play out.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Strany
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think I would
    A. Let James Jones and Dale go. Hate to lose both but Jones, as good as he may become, I think Grainger will be better. Dale I would love to have back but he is old, he really looked old late in the year.

Salary wise.

D. Release Austin

E. Find a trade for a good shooting backup 2 guard. Not sure who that would be but they would need to be able to shoot the 3 and defend the smaller 2's since we will loose Freddy. Use Bender/AJ for this. This could be tough and nothing may come out of it. Worse case we can use AJ as backup 2 and let Jon sit in his usual chair.

PG Tinsley/Sarunas/Gill
    SG Jackson/????/Artest
    PF JO/Foster
    C Maglore/Hulk

First off Im not to sure if I was Sarunas for the mid level excemption. I haven't seen him play and I don't remember him when he was on Maryland. We need to add a pg that is for sure but I would much rather have Antonio Daniels, Earl Watson, Brevin Knight over him. I would also rather sign Donyell Marshall over Sarunas with the Mid level exemption.

The next move I would do is try to see if Redd, or Allen become available see if they bite on a Steven Jackson, Jeff Foster, Fred Jones and a future first round pick.

Resign Dale Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    3. It won't take the full midlevel to pick up Sauron. He wants an opportunity to play,
    Sauron will gladly give up some cash for a shot at the Ring.

Some worry that his posse, while only numbering 9, might be a distraction though.

Edit: He also has great court vision.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

- Sign Sarunas.
    He will make a good NBA player. Gives us a great opition for a backup PG. The question would then become, if we sign Saurnas, what do we do with Anthony Johnson? Do we keep him even though he is better than a third string point guard or do we trade him? If we were to trade him we would have to get another PG though, play it safe and have 3.
    - Possiable players that the Pacers may trade for, IMO, include Doug Christie and Corliss Williamson, shaky on Corrlis as I don't know how much he likes Rick Carlise, Trenton Hassell. I also like some of the swingmen in Memphis like James Posey, Brian Cardinal, and Shane Battier. Other players who would be nice include: Caron Butler, and Al Harrington.
    - I can really see Jamaal Tinsley being traded. Now then the question would then become do we name Saurnas the starter or do we trade Tinsley for a starting point guard?
    - As far as Michael Reed and Ray Allen hey I would love to have either of them, especially Reed but I doubt he comes here. I think that his first choice is very likely to be Cleveland or Dallas. [He signed an offer sheet with Dallas a few years ago as a restricted free agent.] If a deal were to be worked out it may cost us Jackson, Pollard, and Fred Jones or something like that or taking on the contract of Calvin Booth or Joe Smith.

I think this should defentily be a very interesting summer. I expect us to make atleast one trade, possiably 2 or 3. [Not 2 or 3 major ones of course.]

If I was Larry I'd go play some golf.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

You sit your butt TIGHT and let this team develop. We have everything we need RIGHT HERE.

Sign Sarunas with half the MLE and, use part of the other half to sign DD. Thats what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    It would take a hell of lot more than Fred, Pollard, and a 1st rounder for Magloire.

I'd go after Magloire, giving up Artest
    How many times have you seen Jamall Magloire play? I know you havent seen him play more then 2 times. You are the type of guy who goes on NBA.com and read some nice stats and then say that player is good. Jamall Magloire is not that much better then Jeff Foster, and for this team Jeff Foster is better.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Call me and offer me a job keeping the seat he doesn't use in the Pacer's luxary box warm.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I'm wondering if adding all those starplayers that people want to have here (Ray Allen and Magloire particularly) ot the core of JO, Ron and Tins is such a great idea.

I believe that you are asking for trouble if your team has an overabundance of "stars". Look at the Lakers last year or look at top european soccer where that happens to some clubs aswell (Real Madrid forinstance). I think balance between star and role players is VERY important and adding one starplayer would be ok, I think, but adding two is asking for huge chemistry problems I think, especially if what we are giving up roleplayers only (besides that beying pretty unrealistic if you want them both).

I wouldn't mind getting Magloire OR Ray Allen. I would be opposed to getting both. Just try to get one that's good, very good, I think ... also with our depth in mind.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I think I would

Salary wise.

D. Release Austin

PG Tinsley/Sarunas/Gill
    SG Jackson/????/Artest
    PF JO/Foster
    C Maglore/Hulk

And away goes our depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    How many times have you seen Jamall Magloire play? I know you havent seen him play more then 2 times. You are the type of guy who goes on NBA.com and read some nice stats and then say that player is good. Jamall Magloire is not that much better then Jeff Foster, and for this team Jeff Foster is better.

My Lord!!!!!

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Please.

Do I have to take this.

Lets see,

Season Tickets since 94 so....

See the Hornets 2 times a year x however many years Magloire has played

plus the fact that I watch all away games.

Well you do the math smart guy, I don't have the time, I've got to get over to NBA.com to read some killer stats.

You're the type of guy who opens you mouth only to insert your foot.

House Sigil:

I think I would

Sadly James played so well during the playoffs that someone will offer him somewhere below the MLE but it will still be more than we will want to pay a player who will not even play 10 min. a game if the nutball is back all season long. As to Dale? My personnal opinion aside, is Pollard better than Dale? I don't think so. So unless you feel comfortabel with Harrison being able to handle big min. next year (which he could not last year) then it would be Jeff doint it all & on a bad hip to boot.

I have no idea who Sarunas is so I'll withhold judgement, but I'm pleased with A.J. at backup.

Salary wise.

N.O. might bite on this but my guess is that they may want something a little better in return. I think a trade between Toronto & N.O. makes some sense here, not us. Although I like Maglore.

D. Release Austin

Might happen, I'm not sure. He doesn't deserve this but hey he didn't deserve his contract either. I'd rather cut Bender.

Bender & A.J. probably won't get you much in return but I would not mind an upgrade at the backup 2.

PG Tinsley/Sarunas/Gill
    SG Jackson/????/Artest
    PF JO/Foster
    C Maglore/Hulk
    Maglore & Harrison is a very strong combo though.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    You sit your butt TIGHT and let this team develop. We have everything we need RIGHT HERE.
    I agree.....Unless there is a trade offer to get a solid backup PF......then Bird should lay back and watch the fireworks to see what this lineup can actually do.

My motto now is:

No More Tinkering.....let's see what this lineup can do ( unless of course its to waive Croshere and get a solid backup PF )!!!!

I don't see us in the position to need a player like Redd or Allen. I can't even say it would be nice to see....Ok so it would but it's not necessary. I don't fear Redd playing with James. They'll only get so far and we'll still be a much better TEAM than them.

The NBA has changed so much over the years. It went from everybody wanting to get that young talent to fill the seats, to teams going fully athletic, to the Lakers like dynasty, to building a team with an actual TEAM concept. We've always been behind the trend, late to get young, late to get athletic, never got the dynasty, but when you think of the top "TEAMS" in the league, you're looking at the Pistons, Spurs, and Pacers. And we finally are one of the first teams to go that direction. Well actually, we've always been that way, we just finally got the right players for the system.

So let those other teams have their highly paid superstars that need the ball 80% of the time. I'd rather be over the cap and have a full deep roster that competes no matter how much the odds are against them for 12 years, than be a team that competes with 2 superstars for 4-5 years and then ends up in the lottery and rebuilding all over again. Better to be the team that get's mentioned in every trade or free agency rumor than the team that nobody wants to go to :::cough Clippers cough:::

I'm glad to be the fan of a team that knows how to not lose a free agent. I like how we get players on this team. No huge deal on paper, just huge in the standings, huge when it comes playoff time. I'm happy with what we have, sure a couple of smallish deals could be made just to smooth the bumps but please, leave the Allen/Redd type deals to the teams that only think short term.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think if I was Larry I would sign Sarunas first off. That has to be the number one priority right now. This guy is going to be incredible in the NBA. He really, really will.

The second thing is re-signing JJ and Dale.

The third thing is standing pat with the team we have now. Adding Granger and Sarunas is enough for me this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacers67
    I think if I was Larry I would sign Sarunas first off. That has to be the number one priority right now. This guy is going to be incredible in the NBA. He really, really will.

The second thing is re-signing JJ and Dale.

The third thing is standing pat with the team we have now. Adding Granger and Sarunas is enough for me this offseason.
    Your talking about adding 2 more players to the team we had last year. We have 13 under contract without Dale and JJ, adding Granger and Surunas would make that 17 and means we would have to give up 2 players

If only we could get Cro to not exercise his option.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

You are wrong about that. The guy has been faced with double teams in the post his entire career..He's a much better offensive player then Foster..But he definitely isn't worth giving Artest up for. Diamond Dave is easily one of the most predjudiced guys toward Artest. I remember seeing his trade proposals of Artest and Jermaine Oneal straight up for KG or Lebron.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    You are wrong about that. The guy has been faced with double teams in the post his entire career..He's a much better offensive player then Foster..But he definitely isn't worth giving Artest up for. Diamond Dave is easily one of the most predjudiced guys toward Artest. I remember seeing his trade proposals of Artest and Jermaine Oneal straight up for KG or Lebron.
    What!? Me!?

Without a doubt, I don't like Artest. But I think we're having a case of identity confusion. There are 2 Diamond Dave's

Anyways I would never propose a trade for KG, hate his attitude and he can't seem to win. Obviously everyone and their cousin wants Lebron, but I know we have nothing on this team they'd take. Hell no one does.

So either you're just making this up, or you're mistaking me for someone else. Cause I proposed nothing of the sort. Go searching if you really want.

House Sigil:

I've seen all sorts of lopsided trade proposals..Hell you made one in this very post. It all goes back over to Indystar..I remember seeing a ton of horrible trades and trying to get rid of Artest..I think one was Bender and Artest for Peja or something of the sort.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    I've seen all sorts of lopsided trade proposals..Hell you made one in this very post. It all goes back over to Indystar..I remember seeing a ton of horrible trades and trying to get rid of Artest..I think one was Bender and Artest for Peja or something of the sort.

One, I never posted at Indystar.

Two, just because you don't like a trade does not make it horrible.

Three, News flash: It was not fan proposed trade. It was real. Sacramento turned us down!!!

How about you pull up some of these posts I've made in the past.

House Sigil:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll be back to check later for these alleged posts.

I'm betting they won't be here.

House Sigil: