Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ron just became less of a concern

Harmonica

Default Ron just became less of a concern

Welcome to Indiana Danny!

Regardless of how you feel about Ron, this relieves a lot of concerns. Donnie and Larry have to be pretty damn happy right now. I know I am.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ron just became less of a concern

Exactly. At least there's a "Plan B" now.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Welcome to Indiana Danny!

Regardless of how you feel about Ron, this relieves a lot of concerns. Donnie and Larry have to be pretty damn happy right now. I know I am.
    Maybe we found my Al replacement

I see it as plan F. As in fail.

OK, I admit that was pretty lame. But if anyone thinks that Grainger is going to make anyone forget about Artest they are insane

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck

OK, I admit that was pretty lame. But if anyone thinks that Grainger is going to make anyone forget about Artest they are insane
    my thoughts exactly!

there is no second to Artest, he is a friek in more ways then one and this doesen't make him expendable

He's Last Year's Defensive Player of the year and he scores 18ppg, Man Granger is a welcome addition and I wish him luck but the comparison is VOID

Ron wont be traded, Danny will be his back up though.

At the very least it appears that Danny will be able to help Artest with his singing.

IndyToad
    Newer than new

Behind more depth at PG, a tweener forward who can backup the SF and PF positions, with a flexible offensive game was our biggest need. Sounds like we managed to choose the best available player and fill a need.

Harmonica

Jay said it perfectly. At least there's a "Plan B" now.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Nobody said these guys are equal or made any comparison.

What you still haven't figured out is that last year's team, with *any* legit starting SF, would have still contended for a championship. But being in a position to lose Ron with no adequate replacement was a big mistake by Bird and DW.

When Ron goes into "disruption" mode next season, we can finally have some confidence that the Pacers will barely skip a beat to replace him. And SJax - assuming he's still here - can stay in the backcourt where everybody wants him to play instead of covering for Ron in the frontcourt.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Diesel

Why? Granger can defend and hes a physical defender. I would think he would be the type of player you would like. A tough physical smallforward who rebounds,shotblocks, great athlete and defender. I always wanted Shawn Marion on this team and this guy reminds me so much of him. I think we got one heck of a player.

Yes, sir. Granger is a terrific backup, but Ron shall never be replaced, no matter how much Jay wants them to be
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Chest Rockwell

I don't think that Granger is the type of physical specimen that Marion is. He does come from the Mountain West. Both are excellent rebounders for their size, but I don't think we'll see Marion's explosive leaping ability out of Granger. The comparisons to Al Harrington seem more apt. He's a physical player who can score, but hasn't shown he is able to pass the ball. Reminds me a lot of Al.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Am I the only one that thinks they'll rotate grainger between the 3 and the 2?

NotLosingButWinning

Quote Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell
    I don't think that Granger is the type of physical specimen that Marion is. He does come from the Mountain West. Both are excellent rebounders for their size, but I don't think we'll see Marion's explosive leaping ability out of Granger. The comparisons to Al Harrington seem more apt. He's a physical player who can score, but hasn't shown he is able to pass the ball. Reminds me a lot of Al.
    he's not as big as al though, is he?

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    Am I the only one that thinks they'll rotate grainger between the 3 and the 2?
    Why not the 3 and the 4?

He's a hefty 6'8". If we're looking for a backup SG, I'd play FJ, AJ, and JJ, in that order.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Diesel

well when he starts to block shots with his 38 inch vertical those Al comparisons will stop.He may not be as good an athlete as Marion but hes close and the guy is just so long.

I guess the reason why I compare him to Shawn Maion is that this guy doesn't need plays run for him to score. He will score his points off transition and offensive rebounding, hes very active in the paint. Al was more of a iso player in which he needed the ball in his hands to score points. Granger doesn't. Your right about his passing skills though. He will need to improve that area along with his left hand.

Tim

Reminds me a lot of Al.

Just heard Rick on WIBC, and he did say that Grainger provides some insurance at small forward and a couple of other positions

Harmonica

Just heard Rick on WIBC, and he did say that Grainger provides some insurance at small forward and a couple of other positions
    Apologize!

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Apologize!

Wait did I really post that. Someone else is posting using my name.

The Pacers took Granger because he was the best player available, regardless of position.

He had originally been projected to go anywhere from pick 6 to 10. How and why he slipped to us at #17, I don't know.

But, I agree with others. It's not like Bird and Walsh looked at Granger, and said "Wow, now we have a Plan B to cover Ron Artest."

Guys, we already had a Plan B. In a pinch, Jackson could slide right back into the "3", and the Jones boys could have split the "2".

SF was by no means the top priority. We merely took the best player available. Higher priorities continue to be an interior player that can shoot and a perimeter shooter. [At this time, we have a couple of perimeter SCORERS, but we have no true perimeter SHOOTER.]

I still believe the Pacers will atempt to sign James Jones. And, I think the Pacers will attempt to sign the guard from Russia. Some version of that trade everybody was talking about for Magloire to acquire the interior player and also reduce our numbers would be a finishing touch. That, and re-signing DD, of course.

Wait did I really post that. Someone else is posting using my name.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    The Pacers took Granger because he was the best player available, regardless of position.

He had originally been projected to go anywhere from pick 6 to 10. How and why he slipped to us at #17, I don't know.

But, I agree with others. It's not like Bird and Walsh looked at Granger, and said "Wow, now we have a Plan B to cover Ron Artest."

Guys, we already had a Plan B. In a pinch, Jackson could slide right back into the "3", and the Jones boys could have split the "2".

SF was by no means the top priority. We merely took the best player available. Higher priorities continue to be an interior player that can shoot and a perimeter shooter. [At this time, we have a couple of perimeter SCORERS, but we have no true perimeter SHOOTER.]

I still believe the Pacers will atempt to sign James Jones. And, I think the Pacers will attempt to sign the guard from Russia. Some version of that trade everybody was talking about for Magloire to acquire the interior player and also reduce our numbers would be a finishing touch. That, and re-signing DD, of course.

Thank you, very well said