Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So what do you do now if you were Bird?

Harmonica

Default Re: So what do you do now if you were Bird?

I'm sure a lot of you children are not going to like what I'm about to say, but if I'm Bird, I do not, under any circumstances, allow Ron the opportunity to destroy this team again. I package him and whoever else it takes to get someone like Magloire or Pierce and pray that the Hornets or Celtics bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure a lot of you children are not going to like what I'm about to say, but if I'm Bird, I do not, under any circumstances, allow Ron the opportunity to destroy this team again. I package him and whoever else it takes to get someone like Magloire or Pierce and pray that the Hornets or Celtics bite.

Artest for Magloire and a SF that can keep the starting spot warm for Danny, or Artest for Pierce would be great.

Edit - Well, maybe not so much the first trade, it would depend on the non-Mags player we get.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Yeah, whatever...
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    Yeah, whatever...
    You're right. Bird did say he wanted someone in the draft who could be a solid contributor by mid-season. Okay, so I hope that Ron puts up great numbers, looks like DPOY, doesn't have any incidents and then I ship him out at mid-season for a player that will help us in the playoffs, never forgetting that Ron came unglued during the ECFs because he couldn't handle the pressure.

Cool Re: So what do you do now if you were Bird?

Magloire SUCKS, Christ, we have one of the BEST Post Players In Jermaine, A solid Rebounder in Foster, unless we can get Ming,ShaQ, Stoudamire, or some one that can make a real differnce I don't want to trade NO ONE and I don't want to Trade Freddie,

Freddie, Artest, Foster for Stoudamire works for me but after that forgetttt it, tell my why o why Maglore is better then Foster, We don't really need a Offensive from the C, we got 3 Gunners, a Point 2 Pass, and a Foster for rebounding and Harrison for Devolpment future C

Larry, go play Golf and watch the summer league Team Blossom, them come back and lets Win Some Games

I woulden't mind seeing Freddie Play some Point and if anything trade AJ's 4 Mill a year away..

Dale if we can resign him to a Low Level deal which I'm sure he'll do can help Tutor Foster,Harrison and play some minutes when we need him

I really Think we are WINNERS right here with this team...

get the team in to shape and i want to see fireworks come Nov 1

As much as i don't like Isiah I woulden't mind seeing Artest run the Point during some games, I was watching a old pacer game that I'm converting to DVD and we had Shrempf being a Point Foward, that was awesome to watch and we was kicking ***...

Artest, Jax, Bender, O'neal, Foster

Hell YEAH

I think I'd move Artest out if I was Bird. Trade him out West and try to get some center depth. BTW, since many older Pacers posters remember from the older days, I am a Mav fan. The Mavs are about to use the new waiver rule to buyout Michael Finley. Since fin is going to get a huge buyout, he'd be much cheaper and easier to obtain than allen or Redd. Fin is a class act and IMO, has some productive years left in him as a shooter. Not a stellar defender but not a liability either.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Quote Originally Posted by sig
    I think I'd move Artest out if I was Bird. Trade him out West and try to get some center depth. BTW, since many older Pacers posters remember from the older days, I am a Mav fan. The Mavs are about to use the new waiver rule to buyout Michael Finley. Since fin is going to get a huge buyout, he'd be much cheaper and easier to obtain than allen or Redd. Fin is a class act and IMO, has some productive years left in him as a shooter. Not a stellar defender but not a liability either.
    Why would we trade our best player for a center when we have like 4 and then drafted another one who will be playing here in a few years.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Shuttlesworth
    Why would we trade our best player for a center when we have like 4 and then drafted another one who will be playing here in a few years.
    Nobody said anything about trading Jermaine.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I really really don't see us Trading Artest one bit

WHY would we, we would have been TEN times better of to trade him mid season and get some immediate help last year then now, does anyone seriusly think he has more value now then he did Mid Season, sure he can play but after that I think not,

I see us standing phat and i'm happy that way, see above

If I were Larry Bird, I'd explore the options for landing Redd, Magloire or Allen but I would probbly err on the side of staying with the core roster we already have. If one of those teams offered us something that would obviously improve the team then you'd have to jump on it.

Signing Sarunas J. would be my highest priority. If Tins is to remain the starter then having 2 capable backups would be essential. I think AJ would play along if he became 3rd string, because he knew he would get ample opportunity if Tins got injured.

I'd really like to retain JJ, but would understand if he recieved a great offer elsewhere, monetarily or minutes-wise. If the waived players, who mainly seem to be swingmen, really dampened his free-agency options and we could get him for a couple of seasons relatively cheap then I wouldn't hesitate.

I think DD will be content with a 2-3 year vets min contract.

If a trade came along where we could move Cro for expiring contracts I'd do that to provide the option of getting a decent trade at the deadline, which would allow some last minute adjustments to our roster. If we were going to be paying luxury tax then i'd probbly just waive him, since he doesn't fit at all with our roster.

So essentially more of the same. Take a great opportunity if it arises, but otherwise just let this team find its rhythm and address any issues as they come up.

Quote Originally Posted by GO!!!!!
    Magloire SUCKS, Christ, we have one of the BEST Post Players In Jermaine, A solid Rebounder in Foster, unless we can get Ming,ShaQ, Stoudamire, or some one that can make a real differnce I don't want to trade NO ONE and I don't want to Trade Freddie,

Freddie, Artest, Foster for Stoudamire works for me but after that forgetttt it, tell my why o why Maglore is better then Foster, We don't really need a Offensive from the C, we got 3 Gunners, a Point 2 Pass, and a Foster for rebounding and Harrison for Devolpment future C

Larry, go play Golf and watch the summer league Team Blossom, them come back and lets Win Some Games

I woulden't mind seeing Freddie Play some Point and if anything trade AJ's 4 Mill a year away..

Dale if we can resign him to a Low Level deal which I'm sure he'll do can help Tutor Foster,Harrison and play some minutes when we need him

As much as i don't like Isiah I woulden't mind seeing Artest run the Point during some games, I was watching a old pacer game that I'm converting to DVD and we had Shrempf being a Point Foward, that was awesome to watch and we was kicking ***...

Hell YEAH
    How does Magloire suck? He's a great post player who hasn't been statistically great because of all the double teams thrown at him. I bet you haven't even ever watched a Hornets game.

Hell YEAH
    EXACTLY!

Pardon my childlike understanding, but how do you "under no circumstance, allow Ron...to destroy this team", then make a deal which you ~pray~ the other team accepts? If you want Larry to be committed to dealing Ron, then don't you just send him out for whatever trade you can get?
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    How does Magloire suck? He's a great post player who hasn't been statistically great because of all the double teams thrown at him. I bet you haven't even ever watched a Hornets game.

I have seen enough of him to know he's 6'11 and we have ten people like that on our team, all he will do is talk the ball away from Jermaine and as if we need that....

Man when will reallity set in, trading for Maglore would make us a worse team...

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacers67
    I think if I was Larry I would sign Sarunas first off. That has to be the number one priority right now. This guy is going to be incredible in the NBA. He really, really will.

The second thing is re-signing JJ and Dale.

The third thing is standing pat with the team we have now. Adding Granger and Sarunas is enough for me this offseason.
    I agree, this is what I want too. As for Sarunas being incredable, the jury hasn't even got to the jury box yet.

Bird was quoted after the draft as saying the Pacers were not though. I've read that the Pacers have the inside track with Sarunas so I wondered when I read that if he would be though once and 'IF' they sign Sarunas.

I'm thinking from all I hear that we have the inside track with Sarunas

I have seen enough of him to know he's 6'11 and we have ten people like that on our team, all he will do is talk the ball away from Jermaine and as if we need that....

Man when will reallity set in, trading for Maglore would make us a worse team...
    Sorry but that just sounds funny that Maglore, an all star, will make us a wrose team. I mean heck I know he isn't a player to die for but he is a top 5 center in the league, yes top 5 if not he is pretty close to it.

He would be an upgrade over ANY center we have and allows Jermaine to guard the other teams PF AT ALL TIMES. JM is a legit center. Foster, Pollard, and Dale are better off as backups and David probably won't be ready for a starting role next year. Besides Pollard will probably be traded anyway and Dale is still a free agent, so technicaly we only have Jeff and Daivd.

Just because we've got sixteen bazillion below average C's doesn't mean we shouldn't try to get a potential all-star at the position.

Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    Sorry but that just sounds funny that Maglore, an all star, will make us a wrose team. I mean heck I know he isn't a player to die for but he is a top 5 center in the league, yes top 5 if not he is pretty close to it.

He would be an upgrade over ANY center we have and allows Jermaine to guard the other teams PF AT ALL TIMES. JM is a legit center. Foster, Pollard, and Dale are better off as backups and David probably won't be ready for a starting role next year. Besides Pollard will probably be traded anyway and Dale is still a free agent, so technicaly we only have Jeff and Daivd.

I Love all this talk, but what about Team Chemistry, what about Jermaine !, Brad Miller, Jeff Foster, Dale Davis, there all no frills Centres, perfect partners for Jermaine, if anything maybe acquiring a Kurt Thomas type cheap would be a better fit...

you really think that trading Freddie, and Bender etc for Maglorie would make us a better team, I doubt it, I think everyone is a year older and wiser and we will be a better team then last year regardless, we don't need offensive production from the C, we need Solid Defence and Dale/Foster/Harrison provide that very easy, Dale can handle your BIG Men for about 24 MPG, Foster is fit & enthusiastic and can guard your Medium Range Big Men and Harrison can do it all once he's up to standard

Magloire is a Top Ten centre, but he's only 6'll and I don't think his Minute production is that much better then Foster/Davis's

sim a few games on your favourite NBA console game and see what the stats are with and with out Magloire..

They might surprise everyone...

and anyway, he plays for the hornets, was an all star when the east was as weak of big men as i am now of cash.... I think he's good but better then Foster and Freddie combined, I have my doubts.

Not that stats matter in this game but if you actully compare the 2 then Foster is a leaps and bounds better play for this team.... Chemistry Baby thats what it is all about...

foretaz

You're right. Bird did say he wanted someone in the draft who could be a solid contributor by mid-season. Okay, so I hope that Ron puts up great numbers, looks like DPOY, doesn't have any incidents and then I ship him out at mid-season for a player that will help us in the playoffs, never forgetting that Ron came unglued during the ECFs because he couldn't handle the pressure.
    am i the only one that finds these statements a bit....hypocritical?....trade ron because hes come unglued in the playoffs...for a player that came unglued in the playoffs....hmmmmm....makes sense to me....

i do think the telling part is when u say u are never forgetting that Ron...

never is a very big word....

and a very telling one also....

heres hoping noone takes that sort of attitude with u in whatever life dealings u might have...i would venture to guess that you have had things in ur life take place, that if others would have taken this same attitude as yours, you would not have liked much.....

forgiveness is a necessity in life...never forgetting something to the point that u would allow it to prevent possible good in the future...well...lets just be nice and say its a bit closeminded and very immature...and thats being nice...

and since we all know that u couldnt possibly be that way....maybe it was just a very poor choice of words....

ever heard of cutting off ur nose to spite ur face??

I Love all this talk, but what about Team Chemistry, what about Jermaine !, Brad Miller, Jeff Foster, Dale Davis, there all no frills Centres, perfect partners for Jermaine, if anything maybe acquiring a Kurt Thomas type cheap would be a better fit...

you really think that trading Freddie, and Bender etc for Maglorie would make us a better team, I doubt it, I think everyone is a year older and wiser and we will be a better team then last year regardless, we don't need offensive production from the C, we need Solid Defence and Dale/Foster/Harrison provide that very easy, Dale can handle your BIG Men for about 24 MPG, Foster is fit & enthusiastic and can guard your Medium Range Big Men and Harrison can do it all once he's up to standard

Magloire is a Top Ten centre, but he's only 6'll and I don't think his Minute production is that much better then Foster/Davis's

sim a few games on your favourite NBA console game and see what the stats are with and with out Magloire..

They might surprise everyone...

and anyone, he plays for the hornets, was an all star when the east was as weak of big men as i am now of cash.... I think he's good but better then Foster and Freddie combined, I have my doubts.
    Well if NO is willing to trade JM for Bender and Freddie id jump all over that. Bender= IL warmer and Freddie= A combo guard who can be replaced.

The big reason I want JM is because I really think he would guard the other teams center full time which is a big lift off of JO.

And sim some games on my favorite console? One my PS2 doesn't work and 2 I would never get my realistic opinion from a video game.

This isn't about forgiveness. Drop the silly crusade.

Its not just that Ron hasn't proven he can be trusted...

To the contrary: Ron consistenly proves he CAN'T be trusted.

Do we need to type it in purple for it to soak in?

lets try it ur way:

this has nothing to do with forgiveness... ron has constantly shown his teammates, coaches and management that he can't be trusted... especially when the pressure is on...

it's quite simple, really... so drop the "everyone just needs to forgive him" crusade and nonsense...

in case u haven't figured it out, he'll be obsolete soon. .. didn't u notice how excited Rick was to have a legitimate alternative to playing Ron so many minutes... if not the ur fooling urself...

foretaz

im really cooling on this idea of obtaining magloire...initially i was much more intriqued....

im not sure its worth what it would take to get him....i believe he would be an incremental improvement.....but not a huge improvement....

i think our real chance that makes the most sense, at this point, of getting marginally better at the center spot is david harrison developing.....

that, and i think i would like to see brian grant added to the mix, if hes waived by the lakers via the amnesty clause and can be had for the vet minimum....

granted its a center by committee.....and none are great....harrison could be something very good-who knows...

but dale, jeff, harrison, grant, and pollard would work in varying degrees....with some of these guys doubling at pf from time to time as well as jo playing the slot when we go small....

and i also expect pollard to possibly be gone at trade deadline time....only reason i would see him staying is for a possible miami matchup....

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This isn't about forgiveness. Drop the silly crusade.

Its not just that Ron hasn't proven he can be trusted...

To the contrary: Ron consistenly proves he CAN'T be trusted.

Do we need to type it in purple for it to soak in?

lets try it ur way:

this has nothing to do with forgiveness... ron has constantly shown his teammates, coaches and management that he can't be trusted... especially when the pressure is on...

it's quite simple, really... so drop the "everyone just needs to forgive him" crusade and nonsense...

in case u haven't figured it out, he'll be obsolete soon. .. didn't u notice how excited Rick was to have a legitimate alternative to playing Ron so many minutes... if not the ur fooling urself...

cmon now...whos really fooling themselves here....i love granger...hes a great kid....

someone thinks a kid that wasnt even all american from a second tier conference is gonna step in and replace an all star, all nba, dpoy....

that the aforementioned allstar, allnba, dpoy is soon to be obsolete...

cmon....whos kidding themselves????

ur mind is clouded by the dark side my young padawan....things arent always as they seem...beware the power of the dark side...

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Shuttlesworth
    The new guy is a 4. As are DD and Foster really. But even so you're right, we don't need a center. Hulk is our 5 of the future.
    So dump Artest for something else.

Wink Re: So what do you do now if you were Bird?

I really really don't see us Trading Artest one bit

WHY would we, we would have been TEN times better of to trade him mid season and get some immediate help last year then now, does anyone seriusly think he has more value now then he did Mid Season, sure he can play but after that I think not,

I see us standing phat and i'm happy that way, see above
    The guy was banned from playing but you think we could have gotten more for him then????????????????
    Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!