Thread: Artest=D.Robinson...Granger=Duncan

foretaz

Default Artest=D.Robinson...Granger=Duncan

i can imagine what went thru some of ur minds when u read the title of this thread....

but seriously, does this draft scenario remind anyone of the san antonio scenario....

san antonio was a good team with robinson...playoff team...but when he got injured and was out for the season, a very good team ended up getting a top draft choice and a great player-a player they seemingly would never have a shot at drafting....

the pacers drafted last in last years draft....all signs pointed to them being near that same position again this year...then the artest situation happened and he was out the rest of the year...throw in some suspensions and numerous injuries and u suddenly have a team lucky to be drafting near the middle of the pack-that by all rights would have been drafting near the last position again....a position similar to detroit-and while im sure we wouldnt have stunk up that position as bad as detroit did this year(we took harrison last year) we simply couldnt expect to be as lucky as we were last year...so all these circumstances lead to us picking 17th instead of high 20's

then u have a top 5 talent inexplicably fall in our laps....

net, net....u have one of the very best teams drafting one of the very best players.....

not that this makes up for the ewing, tisdale, or any other draft miseries....but its a damn good start....sure is nice to be on the other side of the coin for a change....with all the bad luck weve had over the years, not to mention the bad luck we had this past season, this draft was a breath of fresh air....

Default Re: Artest=Robinson...Granger=Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    but seriously, does this draft scenario remind anyone of the san antonio scenario....
    Not really, no.

Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I thought you meant Artest=Big Dog.......

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...54/1004/SPORTS

June 28, 2005

Commentary: Stephen A. Smith
    Downside of Spurs' victory? 'The Big Dog' gets a ring

By Stephen A. Smith
    Philadelphia Inquirer

Consider it a travesty of epic proportions, the kind that won't go down as anything significant in the NBA Finals but definitely should.

Somewhere in the parade-like atmosphere inside San Antonio's SBC Center on Thursday night, amid the kind of fanfare and euphoria reserved for champions, "The Big Dog," Glenn Robinson, was not only allowed to infiltrate the proceedings but join the championship celebration as well.

There was the sickening sight of Robinson, the former Indianapolis Star Indiana Mr. Basketball and Purdue star, hugging Spurs coach Gregg Popovich one minute, Manu Ginobili the next. Of Robinson prancing around the arena acting like his one-point, 1.5-rebound, 4.5-minute average in these NBA Finals had anything to do with winning.

The only thing more disgusting than Robinson's smile was the residual disheartening effect he left in his wake back in Philadelphia -- a place that embraced him when he arrived and built "no re-entry" barricades for Robinson the second he left town after stealing $22 million from the 76ers.

That's right -- $22 million. Not just the $12 million he received last season for refusing to play a single game for the Sixers, but the $10 million he hoodwinked out of them by playing just 42 games in the 2003-04 season.

Consider that Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Reggie Miller and a host of other notable names -- after giving their blood, sweat and tears -- never experienced a moment like Robinson experienced last week, then rub and massage that upset stomach of yours as much as you can.

In the interest of full disclosure, let's be clear: I don't like Robinson. Not even a little bit. (Although my heart did go out to Robinson and his family weeks ago after his mother passed away.)

I'm unsure as to whether my disdain for him began when he flipped his middle finger at former Sixers coach Randy Ayers, repeatedly refused to listen to Ayers' instructions, stayed away from huddles during time-outs, or accidentally bumped Ayers en route to the bench at New Jersey's Continental Airlines Arena in what would be Ayers' last game as coach of the Sixers. (Ayers said he does not recall the bumping incident.)

Best guess is that all of the above apply, not to mention quitting on his teammates, not even attempting to hide it while taking every penny -- especially after he got Ayers fired -- and doing so without the slightest bit of compunction whatsoever.

To quote Billy King, Sixers president and general manager, several weeks ago on the radio.

"I love the San Antonio Spurs and Gregg Popovich in particular. But I can't root for them as long as (Robinson) is on that team. He quit on (the Sixers). He quit on his teammates. He was a dog!"

And then some!

The sad part is, none of us saw it coming.

When Robinson arrived in Philadelphia on July 23, 2003, the city nearly threw a block party. A career 20-point-per-game scorer in nine seasons, eight with the Milwaukee Bucks, Robinson was seen as the quintessential supplementary scorer Allen Iverson had sorely lacked.

"I can't put into words how happy I am right now," Iverson said back then, from Puerto Rico during the Olympic qualifying round. "I love it. He's the best player I've ever had as a teammate."

Go ahead and ask Iverson how he feels now. I guarantee you he harbors no interest in kissing Robinson on the lips.

Iverson knows Robinson quit on him, the Sixers, and the city of Philadelphia. He knows Robinson could have played all those months he swore his ankle wasn't up to par. It may have been foolish and wrong for former coach Jim O'Brien to bench Robinson in favor of rookie Andre Iguodala, particularly considering the discrepancy in salaries and the fact that Iguodala would have had no problem coming off the bench, but there is never an excuse for quitting on your team.

A lot was made of Alonzo Mourning's and Jim Jackson's refusing to show up to Toronto and New Orleans, respectively, after being traded earlier this season. But at least they remain AWOL instead of collecting a salary while they were at Chili's or Houlihan's.

Robinson isn't being criticized because of his game. We all know he spent years as one of the game's prolific scorers. His abilities will never be questioned or debated in this column.

But neither will his ethics or professionalism. For there is no doubt he's devoid of both those qualities.

His is a label for quitters. The kind who does so without regret or sorrow. And if his story isn't horrific enough, consider this last poignant reality: Rasho Nesterovic probably deserves a championship more that Robinson does right now.

Forgive the ignorance of anyone who disagrees.

They're probably not in Philadelphia. They simply don't know any better.

Stephen A. Smith writes for The Philadelphia Inquirer.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Except that Artest and Big Dog are known to sucker-punch each other.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

When I read the title of this thread, I thought what does "Big Dog" Glenn Robinson have to do with anything.

But I see you mean David Robinson. I see your point

Default Re: Artest=D.Robinson...Granger=Duncan

In regards to Steven A., yes, Robinson had his issues, but the notion that Philly has ever embraced anybody, let alone a vagabond like Glenn, is beyond ridiculous.

I hope Dipper is above such pettiness.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    I could go take a dump and that piece of crap would have a higher IQ then Screamin' Stephen A
    Yeah, well, you've always been a smart ***.

I mentioned it before but I'm not a big fan of SAS. He writes to get a reaction and rarely lets the facts get in the way of his agenda.

In LB's last season in Philly the Sixers started out like 15-4 then they had a couple of key injuries and went into a nose dive before the all-star break. They limped into the break at like a game over .500

SAS wrote a 2 page story during the break about how Larry Brown was too old and couldn't adjust to the new rule changes,utilize the three point shot, yada, yada, yada and he should retire. The Sixers won 15 out of 17 after the all-star break and SAS didn't say a word. He also ripped LB's wife in the story and when the 76ers threatened a lawsuit he was removed as the Sixers beat writer for the Inquirer.

Now when you see him on ESPN he is always professing his love for Larry Brown and how Brown is a great coach etc.,,, I wasn't a big fan of Robinson's game but that is pretty low to slam the guy like that when he isn't around to defend himself.

The best beat writer for the 76ers is Phil Jasner for the Daily News. He has been covering the team for about 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Yeah, well, you've always been a smart ***.
    ZING-O!!!!
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by dipperdunk
    I mentioned it before but I'm not a big fan of SAS. He writes to get a reaction and rarely lets the facts get in the way of his agenda.

In LB's last season in Philly the Sixers started out like 15-4 then they had a couple of key injuries and went into a nose dive before the all-star break. They limped into the break at like a game over .500

SAS wrote a 2 page story during the break about how Larry Brown was too old and couldn't adjust to the new rule changes,utilize the three point shot, yada, yada, yada and he should retire. The Sixers won 15 out of 17 after the all-star break and SAS didn't say a word. He also ripped LB's wife in the story and when the 76ers threatened a lawsuit he was removed as the Sixers beat writer for the Inquirer.

Now when you see him on ESPN he is always professing his love for Larry Brown and how Brown is a great coach etc.,,, I wasn't a big fan of Robinson's game but that is pretty low to slam the guy like that when he isn't around to defend himself.

The best beat writer for the 76ers is Phil Jasner for the Daily News. He has been covering the team for about 30 years.
    Yeah, I remember that stuff from Larry's last year. What a jackass.