Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The case for GRIII

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The case for GRIII

In my opinion the weakest position on the Pacers roster is SF.

I don't think we have a starting caliber SF. Our options at this time are Wilkins, Lance, Bojan and GRIII. Wilkins hasn't played in the league since 2013, he may not even make the team so he is not a factor. Lance is more of a SG, however he can play SF and PG. Because of his flexibility and energy, in my opinion, his best role is as 6th man. That leaves Bojan and GRIII. Bojan has been announced as the starting SF as of the first day of training camp, but will he or should he keep that role? GRIII is a better defender, although he did still get lost at times last year...but from what I have read and heard Bojan isn't a very good defender at all. Bojan has a reputation for being a good shooter and better offensively but I wondered if he was that much better that he could compensate for his lack of defense. I decided to take a look at some stats to see if he was that much better than GRIII. Here is what I discovered. I only looked at games in which they started.

Games started:
    Bojan...121
    GRIII.....32

Minutes per game:
    Bojan...28.7
    GRIII...28.3

FG%
    Bojan...43.6%
    GRIII...42.7%

3 Point FG%
    Bojan...35.4%
    GRIII...36.8%

FT%
    Bojan...86.9%
    GRIII...75.0%

Points per game
    Bojan...12.5
    GRIII....7.6

Rebounds per game
    Bojan...3.5
    GRIII...4.8

FGA per game
    Bojan...10.6
    GRIII.....6.6

3 point FGA per game
    Bojan...4.7
    GRIII...2.4

It looks to me like GRIII is as good or better offensively than Bojan. The only difference is Bojan takes more shots.

In my opinion, neither GRIII or Bojan should be starting on a contending team, however, I think GRIII could start on a 7 or 8 seeded team...which is the Pacers ceiling this year. I think GRIII should be the starting SF and it should be his to lose.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The case for GRIII

I don't think we really know what we have in GRIII yet. He's never had a high usage role so it'll be interesting to see what he does this season.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

I like the idea of GRIII in terms of energy and fit. Can you imagine Lance, Dipo, and GRIII all on the court together? If (huge if) they could play under control, they would be a ton of fun to watch.
    Danger Zone

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

GR3 the best chance to be an all around good player. He certainly is the most athletic. He seems to be one of those guys that is slow to catch on the the NBA game though. From the neck down, he is good. From the neck up, just so-so. Pretty sure he will be given a chance to show he is an NBA guy or not. I hope he can make the jump.

Edit: But in his present form, I can't see the Pacers giving him $10M/yr under any circumstances. So enjoy him now, next year he will probably be somewhere else.
    Last edited by xIndyFan; 07-31-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Perhaps this should be in the unpopular opinion thread, but there's nothing about GRIII's actual game that screams high end starter potential to me

His best asset last year was to knock down open shots. He seemed to struggle off the bounce or anytimd he had to make a decision. I wonder how he will react to those situations this year as teams chase/crowd him off the line

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    there's nothing about GRIII's actual game that screams high end starter potential to me
    I agree, he is not a high end starter, but I think he is the best that we have this year.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

I didn't think he was bad at all when he was filling in for PG. Of course, once defenses start gameplanning and keying in on him, that may be a different story.

FIRE PRITCHARD! TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    It looks to me like GRIII is as good or better offensively than Bojan. The only difference is Bojan takes more shots.
    GRIII is nowhere close to being as good as Bojan offensively. There's a reason why Bojan takes so many more shots. Bojan is much more confident, reliable, and skilled shot creator while GRIII relies way more on others to get him the ball. With that said, I would still prefer GRIII starting because Bojan is horrible defensively and I think GRIII has more room to grow and build confidence as a starter.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:

Default The case for GRIII

Perhaps this should be in the unpopular opinion thread, but there's nothing about GRIII's actual game that screams high end starter potential to me

His best asset last year was to knock down open shots. He seemed to struggle off the bounce or anytimd he had to make a decision. I wonder how he will react to those situations this year as teams chase/crowd him off the line
    I think we all romanticize potential. We also romanticize when people get a shot to succeed and take advantage of the opportunity.

I think the previous data points suggest his upside is limited. Doesn't prevent us from dreaming about him killing it during this contract year where there's a massive opening for him to thrive.

I hope he proves you wrong, but I don't believe he will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by docpaul; 07-31-2017 at 02:42 PM.

I think he is a nice solid player. Probably not a starter on an above average team, but someone most teams would like coming off their bench. I am curious to see what he can do when he is a primary scorer.

Well this season is his time to shine. He's a restricted free agent next Summer (2018). So if he wants someone to throw him a cool $71 mil in 2018 he should come out like a house of fire this season. I wouldn't be surprised if he hits career highs in points and FG percentage next season, KP trades him for a pick at the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    I think we all romanticize potential. We also romanticize when people get a shot to succeed and take advantage of the opportunity.

I think the previous data points suggest his upside is limited. Doesn't prevent us from dreaming about him killing it during this contract year where there's a massive opening for him to thrive.

I hope he proves you wrong, but I don't believe he will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I would love to be dead wrong.

He certainly has the body and athleticism. His physical gifts are there. He just seems to lack that "feel".

If the kid blows up for even 13ppg, I'll be absolutely ecstatic.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I think he is a nice solid player. Probably not a starter on an above average team, but someone most teams would like coming off their bench. I am curious to see what he can do when he is a primary scorer.
    Yep, as is he's a decent rotation wing. I don't think he really excels at anything, but I don't think he has any weaknesses that would keep him off the court either.

With that said, he has a chance to prove me wrong and show he can handle a larger role.
    "man, PG has been really good."

I don't think anybody's claiming he could be a "high end" starter.

If he can stick the open three and not get lit up on defense, that might be enough to get the starting nod right now.
    This space for rent.

Bojan is probably out best shooter. GRIII is going to need to show a lot more consistency to be the starter and force our best shooter to the bench

Well maybe not. Nate kept playing Monta over CJ last season....

He should start, I think GR3 can be at least a league average player. He obviously has upside for more than that. But let him earn it. As long as he gets minutes and gets a chance to earn the starting role, I'm fine with not handing it to him.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

Mood

I think GRIII needs a killer instinct. I really hope that he comes into training camp with a chip on his shoulder and a fire in his belly. If so he can be good. Alas I fear he just doesn't have the drive.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

GRIII reminds me a bit of Brandon Rush. Great physical tools. Not much game. He makes a good backup and will get shut down if he starts.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    I think GRIII needs a killer instinct. I really hope that he comes into training camp with a chip on his shoulder and a fire in his belly. If so he can be good. Alas I fear he just doesn't have the drive.
    Same thing I said to dgranger17 through text message. GRIII is still only 23 years old, but yea he needs to want it more. He's got all the tools to be a 12-14 ppg guy but I just don't think he's got the drive. This is a contract year for him so he needs to step his game up on a consistent basis. 6 ppg just isn't gonna cut it...if he doesn't make a big leap I hope we don't bring him back. Almost like he's too nice. Doesn't want it enough, not aggressive, doesn't bring it. He'd be a nice piece on a good team if all he is is 6-7 ppg

Mood

Evan Morris: "... if it were up to me, GRIII would likely be the starter on day one - not because he is better, but because he could be a piece to this puzzle for a long time."
    https://www.indycornrows.com/2017/8/...indiana-pacers
    Last edited by solid; 08-01-2017 at 06:23 PM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by solid View Post
    Evan Morris: "... if it were up to me, GRIII would likely be the starter on day one - not because he is better, but because he could be a piece to this puzzle for a long time."
    IMO that is the right take there. Good potential to be a solid bench wing who could defend two positions and knock down open three's at an acceptable %.

I think he is both. He is the best SF we have on the team this year, he also could be a key piece off the bench in the future.

If he proves it, then I'm all for it.

I'm open to the idea that GR3 is the best player on the roster to start at small forward.

But that's more of an indictment against the roster than it is an accolade for GR3.
    This space for rent.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I'm open to the idea that GR3 is the best player on the roster to start at small forward.

But that's more of an indictment against the roster than it is an accolade for GR3.
    Yeah, this. The argument for GR3 is all what he could be, not what he is. When he is the best guy for the job, then give it to him. This is the NBA, not HS JV.