Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Ron may have cost us yet again...

Default Re: How Ron may have cost us yet again...

Quote Originally Posted by J33J
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reminded them of Tracy Mcgrady? Yeah so did qyntel woods...but you see where he is at.
    A great point. Everybody gets compared to TMac these days.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    I've thought about Hicks' reply and I'll revise my initial thought somewhat: If Donnie and Larry were confident that Ron's troubles were behind him, we could have picked Gerald Green.
    If Granger were not even on the board, based on Bird's earlier comments, I don't think we would have touched Green.

Bird was not looking for a 2-3 year project. Bird was looking for another 2-3-4 year college player, or even a Euro with several years experience.

You do recall his statement regarding that the #17 pick would bring us a player that would be a consistent contributor by the All-Star break, right?

If Bird didn't feel as though we could get a player that could contribute right away, then I believe he either would have moved up in the draft (like he was apparently trying to do) or he would have traded the pick.

The point is, one way or another, Bird was going to get an immediate contributor, not a project. Thus ruling out another HS kid.

BY THE WAY YOU MIGHT HAVE FORGOT BUT JONATHAN BENDER WAS DRAFTED AT NUMBER 5 AND HE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE NEXT BIG THING EVEN BETTER THAN T-MAC.....I HAVE NOTHING WRONG WITH GETTING A PROVEN PLAYER THAN CAN CONTRIBUTE IMMEDIATLY

Diesel

I wouldn't have minded them picking up Green. I think he was one of the top 8 players in the draft and down the road could be a special player. I actually like Webster more then him though. Granger though was the right pick for this team Being that he can contribute right away and can do so many things on the court. Hes so versatile he'll spend majority of his time playing smallforward but will get a shot to play sg and powerforward(limited minutes).The most important thing in my mind is his defensive ability. The kid just loves to go out there and compete. I think he will be a fan favorite by the end of the year. His ceiling probably isn't as high as Gerald Green in terms of talent but he was the perfect fit for us that day.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    I think "milk-drinkers" refers to all dairy consumers in general. And we don't need 'em here.

Yogurt's not the Pacer way.
    Nice 'Life of Brian' esque plug...

Spectator I: I think it was "Blessed are the cheesemakers".
    Mrs. Gregory: Aha, what's so special about the cheesemakers?
    Gregory: Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    -snip-
    You do recall his statement regarding that the #17 pick would bring us a player that would be a consistent contributor by the All-Star break, right?
    Yeah, but Beast, in the same paragraph, he said that if Greene was available he'd take him.

EDIT - check that, its three paragraphs down...

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/bird_draft_050622.html
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    Frankly, I don't think the Pacers drafted Granger because of Ron. Before the draft we were all pretty sure that the Pacers were targeting a SG, and maybe they were. But nobody was saying before the draft "We gotta draft a SF because Ron is not right"

I think the fact that Granger dropped to them was just too good to pass up. They literally took the best player available (Green included).

Nobody they drafted was going to supplant a starter anyway.

So you REALLLLLLLLLLLY think that WE have ANY clue as to what the Pacers are thinking??????
    PLENTY of us WERE saying "we gotta draft a SF because Ron is a F'ing nutcast".
    THey TOOK Ron's backup/replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    A great point. Everybody gets compared to TMac these days.
    Everybody gets compared to SOMEBODY these days. If the body type or game is "similar" in "style" or whatever goofy criteria they can think of.
    One of the sillier aspects of reporting these days IMO.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bird
    "I always think if you can get a college player that goes to school three or four years, it's to your advantage to probably look at him and probably draft him. If Gerald Green (a 6-7 high school forward from Texas widely projected as a top-five pick) is there, we will take him at 17. But other than that, we'll be looking for somebody with great talent and somebody who went to college for a few years."
    There can be no other plausible explanation for selecting Danny except they still don't have much confidence in Ron. Unless this was a smokescreen. Because going into the draft with Ron and JJ, if they were truly confident with Ron, we didn't really need a SF.

Well if you read the article about Granger, it says that if the Pacers had a top 5 pick they would have picked Danny. Why cant they just like the guys game, does everything have to be some damn plan to get rid of Ron?

Also Gerald Green is a SF too and if we picked him you would be saying the same **** again.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Well if you read the article about Granger, it says that if the Pacers had a top 5 pick they would have picked Danny. Why cant they just like the guys game, does everything have to be some damn plan to get rid of Ron?

Also Gerald Green is a SF too and if we picked him you would be saying the same **** again.
    I'm pretty sure Green is a SG. And I love that we got Granger. Couldn't be happier. But if Donnie and Larry were confident about Ron, why would we need another SF, regardless of where we picked him in the draft?

There can be no other plausible explanation for selecting Danny except they still don't have much confidence in Ron. Unless this was a smokescreen. Because going into the draft with Ron and JJ, if they were truly confident with Ron, we didn't really need a SF.

The thing is, Bird and the rest were under the impression that a person like Granger would not be available at that time. I don't think he took that into consideration when he made that Green comment. I mean, if Bogut was available at 17, he'd pick him over Green. Had Granger not been there, Green likely would have been taken
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I'm pretty sure Green is a SG. And I love that we got Granger. Couldn't be happier. But if Donnie and Larry were confident about Ron, why would we need another SF, regardless of where we picked him in the draft?
    To back Ron up. Maybe they where not happy with JJ as the back up, they wanted to get better.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Unlike Green, Granger is going to be ready to contribute right away.

I think they saw that the best player available could, if necessary, provide immediate help at a position that we just might need immediate help at - at least we needed a lot of help at SF last season.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I hope you guys arent setting yourself up for dissapointment with this kid. Your acting like he's our savior of some sort.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Quote Originally Posted by J33J
    I hope you guys arent setting yourself up for dissapointment with this kid. Your acting like he's our savior of some sort.
    I know, we do tend to overrate Ron sometimes. It's all in good fun though.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    The thing is, Bird and the rest were under the impression that a person like Granger would not be available at that time. I don't think he took that into consideration when he made that Green comment. I mean, if Bogut was available at 17, he'd pick him over Green. Had Granger not been there, Green likely would have been taken
    I think Suave is right here, everyone's taking Larry's comments out of context. Larry was trying to make a point - that he would prefer to draft an experienced player, but if there's a high school guy available that's way better he'll go with him. Of course no one expected Green to be available. As happened last night, when you have two guys that both have a lot of potential to be very good, one a high school senior and one a college senior, it follows Bird's philosophy to pick the collegiate. I don't think this has anything to do with Ron.

IndyToad
    Hit me with a pipe

Jesus Shuttlesworth

They were going to take the best available player and even at 5 he was the best available in their eyes. Nice try at trying to come up with a conspiracy. You'll be jumping on the Ron Artest bandwagon next year.

pacerlife

yea, i dont think they where trying to find a backup plan for ronnie. They just took the best player left that could contribute right away. (IMO)

as much as I think Scottie Pippen is one dumb ugly MO-FO, I'd rather have his clone Aka Granger on our team then another T-Mac, Granger will be able to do the little things like Foster that will take us to the top, When's the last time you saw T-mac dive for a loose ball and Hustle like Pips Used to and Foster does..

we have enough Guns and Ego's allready...

Granger Over Green anyday !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned
    Nice 'Life of Brian' esque plug...

Spectator I: I think it was "Blessed are the cheesemakers".
    Mrs. Gregory: Aha, what's so special about the cheesemakers?
    Gregory: Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.

I didn't think anyone would catch that....
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

I just thought of this, but if Ron had his head screwed on straight and management was confident that his troubles were behind him, we could have picked Gerald Green.
    Wrong.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Actually, you're wrong, there is an easily plausible explanation. Most mock drafts had Granger going considerably higher than pick 17. Like Suave said, Larry and Donnie just didn't think he'd be around for the Pacers.

Regardless of what they think about Artest, it's clear that they think that Granger is a better player than Green.

Bird was quoted in the press conference that Hicks posted as saying:

"Believe me, Granger is a better player. Granger could come in here tomorrow and play. He's very talented; I never dreamed he would be there. When he came off the court, when he came in for a workout, I couldn't believe he came in for a workout, and when he walked off the court I told him I was sorry for ever bringing him in because he was too good to come in and think he was going to be drafted at 17."

NewType

Quote Originally Posted by indytoad
    I think Suave is right here, everyone's taking Larry's comments out of context. Larry was trying to make a point - that he would prefer to draft an experienced player, but if there's a high school guy available that's way better he'll go with him. Of course no one expected Green to be available. As happened last night, when you have two guys that both have a lot of potential to be very good, one a high school senior and one a college senior, it follows Bird's philosophy to pick the collegiate. I don't think this has anything to do with Ron.

IndyToad
    Hit me with a pipe
    Exactly... [Note to self: OMG, I'm agreeing with indytoad ]

Quote Originally Posted by NewType
    Exactly... [Note to self: OMG, I'm agreeing with indytoad ]
    Every now and then I like to post something logical and agreeable just to freak everybody out.

IndyToad
    Don't tell me you didn't get my letter