Thread: What will the amnesty waiver do for the free agent market this year?

Default What will the amnesty waiver do for the free agent market this year?

I think a lot of teams are going to take advantage of the one time amnesty waiver this year. If this happens, most teams will be looking to use their vet. minimums, or MLE's on players like Houston, that were previously overpaid, but now are bargains that can fill immediate needs. If this happens, what does that do to the real free agents like JJ. Mid level free agents may not draw any interest from other teams. Why would a team look at JJ, if Finely is available for the vet minimum?
    Your thoughts?

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Default Re: What will the amnesty waiver do for the free agent market this year?

I don't think James Jones is high on the list of anyone but Indiana any Indiana fans. James Jones is good but you guys act like he is the greatest thing to happen to Indiana since Reggie Miller.

Default Re: What will the amnesty waiver do for the free agent market this year?

I thought I remembered hearing that Miami wanted JJ???.

I like JJ, but IMO he has a long way to go to become a major contributor, and he's very expendable now that we've drafted Granger. I was just thinking, if this waiver is used by half the teams, he, and a lot of low to mid level free agents may have to take what ever their teams offer them.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

If Miami wants him, he'll go to Miami. Where else would he want to go? I think he lives there in the offseason.

at most, only a couple of teams would use this waiver exemption, since not that may are paying very heavily into the luxury tax.

These are the top 10 teams by player salary:

1. New York Knicks
    $104,657,559

2. Dallas Mavericks
    $91,271,151

3. Portland Trail Blazers
    $78,777,655

4. Philadelphia 76ers
    $74,279,549

5. Minnesota Timberwolves
    $70,774,870

6. Orlando Magic
    $68,051,474

7. Memphis Grizzlies
    $67,022,176

8. Indiana Pacers
    $65,161,440

9. Los Angeles Lakers
    $64,452,726

10. Boston Celtics
    $63,113,638

So, of those teams, which players would be worth waiving in order to avoid a higher luxury tax payment?

Allan Houston New York (over Anfernee Hardaway or Tim Thomas)
    $17,531,250

Michael Finley Dallas (over Keith Van Horn)
    $14,609,375

maybe LA's Brian Grant, Miami's Eddie Jones, Toronto's Jalen Rose, and Indiana's Austin Croshere.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

I also heard Orlando has considered waving Grant Hill which wouldn't suprise me as they yet again proved how stupid they by taking Fran number 11.

I hope they wavie Grant Hill, that way Indiana could sign him. [doubt it would ever happen but hey I can dream can't I?]

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Shuttlesworth
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think James Jones is high on the list of anyone but Indiana any Indiana fans. James Jones is good but you guys act like he is the greatest thing to happen to Indiana since Reggie Miller.
    I agree, I still dont see what the hell is up with all the hype for JJ.I like JJ but he can hit a few jumpshots and thats it. Danny Granger will be better then him as soon as he steps on the court.

[QUOTE=blanket]at most, only a couple of teams would use this waiver exemption, since not that may are paying very heavily into the luxury tax.

I'm not certain if the salary of the waived player would only save teams from the luxury tax, or simply not count against their payroll even though they're paying him. If this is the case, then teams might also use the waiver to get under the cap, and go after free agents, that they couldn't otherwise.
    That would add a few more teams to your list.

Blanket: the salaries you quoted are this past years salaries. The new figures are for 05-06 are quite different.

Minnesota drops from 70 to 46 million

Knicks go from 104 to 108 next year (snicker snicker) but down to 43 in 2 years
    (goodbye Houston)
    Mavs go up from 91 to 94 million
    (goodbye Finley)
    Philly is about the same

If Portland doesn't pick up the option on Van Exel they drop from 78 to 37 million but will have to pay Shareef big money prob. 15M+
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Shuttlesworth
    I don't think anyone thinks that, he had some great games this year and had a chance to blossom a little, he's got a nice 3pt touch and is a good backup at 2-3. I wouldn't pay him more then a couple million a year since we have Granger coming in.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by aceace
    Blanket: the salaries you quoted are this past years salaries. The new figures are for 05-06 are quite different.
    good catch. I stand corrected. But I still think only a few teams will take advantage of the clause. I could see the Pacers going either way. The Org's very loyal to its players, but if the owners stand to lose a lot of $, it's ultimately a business decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized
    I'm not certain if the salary of the waived player would only save teams from the luxury tax, or simply not count against their payroll even though they're paying him. If this is the case, then teams might also use the waiver to get under the cap, and go after free agents, that they couldn't otherwise.
    I don't have a link to reference at hand, but I'm pretty certain the clause only allows for a one-time waiver of a single player this summer for each team that would require the contract to be paid but would keep that amount from figuring into the luxury tax computations.

The salary will still have to be paid, it will count for the cap, but NOT for the LT.

In the case of the Pacers; we are about 74 mio now, add DD, JJ and Granger and we're approaching 80 mio, waving the 18.6 mio that is left on Cro's contract could well be a decision they can not afford not to take, if the LT kicks in they stand to loose that amount in penalty alone.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

After looking into team payrolls and player contracts a little more, these are the teams in position right now to be paying the luxury tax next year (if there is one):

- Knicks
    - Mavs
    - Pacers
    - 76ers

These are the main teams that need concern themselves with taking advantage of the one-time player waiver clause that allows that single player's salary to not be counted toward the luxury tax. Other teams on the cusp include:

- Lakers
    - Heat
    - Grizzlies
    - Magic

(I may be missing a team or two, and some of these teams can fix these problems by moving players this season for payroll relief, while other teams may add themselves to this list by signing free agents to big contracts this summer).

From these teams, here are the players I expect to be waived:

- Allan Houston, Knicks (while the contracts for Penny and Tim Thomas expire next year)
    - Michael Finley, Mavs (while the contract for Kieth Van Horn expires next year)
    - Austin Croshere, Pacers

Other players that could possibly be waived, but may not depending on their perecived value:

- Brian Grant, Lakers
    - Eddie Jones, Heat
    - Jason Williams, Grizzlies
    - Chris Webber, 76ers
    - Jalen Rose, Raptors
    - Grant Hill, Magic

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Can someone claify this for me, please.

Is this a one time deal where if you use it up this year you cant ever use it again, or do you get one of these "exemptions" every off-season(we know Isiah could use one every year or two, assuming he still has a job)?
    I don't have a link to back this up at hand, but -- yes, this is a one time deal, only available this summer.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still don't think very many owners are going to pay a guy to play for another team.

I think you'll see 'aggressive' use of the injured player exception.

But Houston, Finley, and Croshere would be nice cheap pickups for contending teams. Its not that these guys just suck ***. They're overpaid, but they are still solid NBA players (when healthy). Why is Cuban going to pay Finley to pay for Detroit, SA, or Phoenix? He'd rather pay the LT than give one of his rivals a cheap sixth man.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you