Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Granger sounds like he is a James Jones replacement

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Re: Granger sounds like he is a James Jones replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The thing Im most excited about is playing Artest and Granger together at times during games. Granger has the ability to be a lock down defender. He has good lateral quickness but his lenght makes it very difficult for players to get around him. He also is a physical defender.
    Great news for when we meet the Pistons and their backcourt in the playoffs next season
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    Great news for when we meet the Pistons and their backcourt in the playoffs next season
    Hes the perfect player to guard Tayshawn Prince.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think getting Granger just gives us a lot more depth. I think you guys are thinking too much about what position Granger is going to play and not really realizing we just stole somebody with the potential to be a super star. Granger has a shot to come in and contribute to a championship next season, and he very well could be the rookie of the year IMO. I'm thrilled with this pick.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

He would need a LOT of minutes to get rookie of the year. Do we those kind of minutes?

He has certainly got good star potential though, no doubt about that.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    He would need a LOT of minutes to get rookie of the year. Do we those kind of minutes?

He has certainly got good star potential though, no doubt about that.
    We had a lot of SF minutes available last season.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

PacersFan

Anyone remember what Larry Bird said about Greene? He was talking about how he wanted an three-four year college player, but then he added that he would take Greene if he was there even though he was a high-schooler. This guy might have more talent potential than Granger, but I really feel the Pacers want to make a hard run at the championship next year. They didn't want to wait for him to develop, so they chose Granger instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    We had a lot of SF minutes available last season.
    Jay, JERKHEAD, is available for commenting tonight.

Hopefully Ron can keep his head this year. I believe he WILL.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

oh hell no! Don't get rid of JJ! JJ will be here, watch. Granger will play some pf...
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    Jay, JERKHEAD, is available for commenting tonight.

Hopefully Ron can keep his head this year. I believe he WILL.
    Well, everyone hopes you are right, even if its just wishful thinking.

But its now 100% wrong to believe that the Pacers hopes rest on having Ron keep his focus. Now, even if he does his annual "conduct detrimental to winning" routine, the Pacers have a player that should be a legit replacement. Maybe not as a rookie, but it shouldn't take him long.

That should make you happy... Ron's less of a liablity now so its a little easier to take a gamble on him for next season and give him a chance to actually prove me wrong... even though he's never been able to do that before...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Harmonica

But its now 100% wrong to believe that the Pacers hopes rest on having Ron keep his focus. Now, even if he does his annual "conduct detrimental to winning" routine, the Pacers have a player that should be a legit replacement. Maybe not as a rookie, but it shouldn't take him long.

That should make you happy... Ron's less of a liablity now so its a little easier to take a gamble on him for next season and give him a chance to actually prove me wrong... even though he's never been able to do that before...
    Good points. And having a young talent breathing down his neck every night might actually be good for ol' clutterhead.

I actually think Granger will be our 6th man by the second half of the season. Why shouldn't he be the first time come off the bench? The only guy that could give him trouble for the spot would be Freddie..I'm even wondering whether or not one day he could be our starting SG over SJax..He is definitely a better ball handler then Jax and could take it to the basket alot more efficiently. In any case, The guy is a HUGE addition to our team because of his versatility and skill. He should play a majority of the backup minutes at SG and SF. We could even go "big" and have him run point for a while while you have SJax, Artest, JO, and Harrison in the game. He could make a strong run at 6th man of the year award if he does turn out to be our 6th man.

Chest Rockwell

Jax, JJ and Fred are all better options at the 2 than Granger. We still need a backup C and this slovenian center isn't going to be that guy.

I can agree with most of that
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell
    Jax, JJ and Fred are all better options at the 2 than Granger. We still need a backup C and this slovenian center isn't going to be that guy.
    Don't be hard-headed. Granger is a better playmaker then Jax and JJ...Freddie isn't agressive enough towards the basket alot of the time. We've had a shoot first dribble second SG for the past decade..I want that to change. I think Granger should be given a shot at SG..The guy had some incredible handles and driving moves that I saw in college..Much better then SJax and JJ.

Steveman

Default Re: Grander sounds like he is a James Jones replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    Granger will not see much time at PF imo. Only time in the game he would see it is if we were playing small ball with JO at center...But I expect him to be our all around back up guy. He can backup Artest, Jackson, and Tinsley/Johnson. You guys do realize he plays alot like Joe Johnson who can frequently play the PG position. Because of the fact that he can play every back court position,
    Great assessment. Granger is our new "6th" man. If our current roster stays intact, I see him winning 6th man of the year a few times down the road.

Chest Rockwell

Granger has some deficiencies in his game, the biggest of which is his passing. Playing him at a guard position would go a long way toward taking the teams biggest weapons JO, Ron and Jax out of the offense.

Personally, I still like Fred as the first guy off the bench. People forget he was hurt form most of last year. The guy can shoot, defend and fly.

If you give Granger 8-10 minutes spelling Artest, and another 8-10 minutes at the 4 in a small lineup, he will have more of an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell
    Granger has some deficiencies in his game, the biggest of which is his passing. Playing him at a guard position would go a long way toward taking the teams biggest weapons JO, Ron and Jax out of the offense.

Personally, I still like Fred as the first guy off the bench. People forget he was hurt form most of last year. The guy can shoot, defend and fly.

If you give Granger 8-10 minutes spelling Artest, and another 8-10 minutes at the 4 in a small lineup, he will have more of an impact.
    Ok, He needs more then 16-20 minutes a night. Joe Johnson isn't that great of a passer but the suns played him at PG and it worked. And you can't say Granger isn't a great passer..He played for New Mexico..His team-mates weren't exactly play makers. Granger should be given at least 25 minutes a night IMO..The guy doesn't need time to adapt to the NBA because he's more NBA ready then 99% of the players in this draft.

Diesel

Ok, He needs more then 16-20 minutes a night. Joe Johnson isn't that great of a passer but the suns played him at PG and it worked. And you can't say Granger isn't a great passer..He played for New Mexico..His team-mates weren't exactly play makers. Granger should be given at least 25 minutes a night IMO..The guy doesn't need time to adapt to the NBA because he's more NBA ready then 99% of the players in this draft.
    Well I don't think he can play pg either. He doesn't have a great left hand and his passing skills aren't the greatest. He is a hard worker and I expect him to work on that and be solid in both areas, but what he can do right now is if Carlise wants to go big he can play Artest at shooting guard and Granger at the smallforward spot and really lock down oppposing players, hes going to rebound, be active and finish around the basket and block shots. He can also play very limited minutes at the powerforward spot if we want to get out and run because of his wingspan, athletic ability and the fact that hes not scared to bang even though he doesn't have a big frame on him. He gives Carlisle a ton of versatility which is why I think the addition of Granger makes Jackson or freddy Jones more expendable.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    Well I don't think he can play pg either. He doesn't have a great left hand and his passing skills aren't the greatest. He is a hard worker and I expect him to work on that and be solid in both areas, but what he can do right now is if Carlise wants to go big he can play Artest at shooting guard and Granger at the smallforward spot and really lock down oppposing players, hes going to rebound, be active and finish around the basket and block shots. He can also play very limited minutes at the powerforward spot if we want to get out and run because of his wingspan, athletic ability and the fact that hes not scared to bang even though he doesn't have a big frame on him. He gives Carlisle a ton of versatility which is why I think the addition of Granger makes Jackson or freddy Jones more expendable.
    Well Granger isn't much bigger then Jackson..so we wouldn't be going big at all. I would rather trade Jackson then FJ considering he has more trade value and less upside then Freddy does. Imagine how crazy our team would be if Hulk has a break out season and becomes a threat at the C position.

Diesel

Well Granger isn't much bigger then Jackson..so we wouldn't be going big at all. I would rather trade Jackson then FJ considering he has more trade value and less upside then Freddy does. Imagine how crazy our team would be if Hulk has a break out season and becomes a threat at the C position.
    Hieght wise your right but Granger doesn't play like hes 6'8. Your getting a guy who can do things that powerforwards normally do but your getting it at a wing position. I actually though he was bigger then 6'8 when I saw him play for New Mexico.I know he has a 36inch vertical but im curious now to find out his wingspan.

his span is 7.1 1/2
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Default Re: Grander sounds like he is a James Jones replacement

Why would any coach, in their right mind, go small like that?

This is the NBA. Size matters. You only go small as a gimmick because you can't go big and you need to get *any* advantage.

Granger plays SF. You just don't want him to steal minutes from Ron and prove that Ron is really just another SF, shouldn't play more than 30-34 mpg, and just might be expendable.
    Exactly right. Everyone says Granger is a "prototype small forward". You don't play somebody away from their best position just because you can. Which is why you don't play Fred at point, or Ron at the 2, or, god help me, Cro at 3. Or 5. Or the 4, for that matter.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Granger is gonna need a little seasoning. Talent-wise, I can very easily see him entrenched as our 6th man by the end of the season. However, we are talking about Rick playing a rookie, so don't be surprised if he's not.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The thing Im most excited about is playing Artest and Granger together at times during games.

Hmm let's see....we replace the name Granger with Harrington, put quotes around the sentence, and assign it to Donnie Walsh and we have history repeating itself!

"The thing Im most excited about is playing Artest and AL Harrington together at times during games.".........Donnie Walsh following the announcement of the trade of Jalen Rose to Chicago.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

The thing is, why would Jones return?

He is gonna be 3rd on the depth chart at best, 4th if Bender is healthy. Bender & healthy in the same sentence....

He could go to a couple different teams for about the same money as we'll be able to offer & get more playing time.

I like Jones too but we're stacked at the 3.

If they move Artest then it's a whole different story, but as the team sets today, I doubt Jones returns.