Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Granger sounds like he is a James Jones replacement

Tim

Default Granger sounds like he is a James Jones replacement

Why should I be excited about this?

I want to keep James Jones, when the going got tough last season he showed us he could be a solid contributor. I know it might not be possible if we get into a bidding war to keep JJ.

Unless we find someway to move Cro (not gonna happen) there is no way I see Granger and JJ being on the roster next season.

What can Grander do for us that JJ can't?

Default Re: Grander sounds like he is a James Jones replacement

I see Grainger getting a lot of time at power forward. This should allow the Pacers to go small. Something the coaching staff wanted to do last season, but couldn't because Cro could not shoot. With JJ or Ron playing small forward, DG can play PF

I dont even care if we keep JJ, cause Granger is going to be better then him.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see Grainger getting a lot of time at power forward. This should allow the Pacers to go small. Something the coaching staff wanted to do last season, but couldn't because Cro could not shoot. With JJ or Ron playing small forward, DG can play PF
    I hope you're right. What makes you think he can play PF? Is height not an issue?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    I dont even care if we keep JJ, cause Granger is going to be better then him.
    How so?
    We really didn't know how good JJ was until we were forced to play him minutes.

I hope Granger really is as good as all this excitement on this board suggests, I could use an Al replacement, but he sounds like JJ, not a bad thing.

Harmonica

Who the hell is "Grander?"

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan
    I hope you're right. What makes you think he can play PF? Is height not an issue?
    I haven't seen him play much besides the highlights, but it sure looks like he plays bigger than Croshere.

What can Croshere give you that this guy can't?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why would any coach, in their right mind, go small like that?

This is the NBA. Size matters. You only go small as a gimmick because you can't go big and you need to get *any* advantage.

Granger plays SF. You just don't want him to steal minutes from Ron and prove that Ron is really just another SF, shouldn't play more than 30-34 mpg, and just might be expendable.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Chest Rockwell

Default Re: Granger sounds like he is a James Jones replacement

Granger can shoot the three, but he is not a perimiter player. He averaged 9 rebounds last season. He is capable of attacking the basket, something JJ rarely does. He's physical and a decent defender and shot blocker. Not like James Jones at all.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Who the hell is "Grander?"

OOPS!!!!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Granger is far far better then Croshere. He's much more intense, he can shoot well, and he rebounds excellently for someone who is 6'8".

We got a huge steal here guys, I watched Granger play a lot at New Mexico.

Granger will not see much time at PF imo. Only time in the game he would see it is if we were playing small ball with JO at center...But I expect him to be our all around back up guy. He can backup Artest, Jackson, and Tinsley/Johnson. You guys do realize he plays alot like Joe Johnson who can frequently play the PG position. Because of the fact that he can play every back court position, We don't need to lose JJ. Hopefully we can rid ourselves of Bender and Cro before the season begins.

But if we wanted to play small ball, Then Granger is the best guy on our team at playing PF. The guy is a mix between Marion and Joe Johnson.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Why would any coach, in their right mind, go small like that?

This is the NBA. Size matters. You only go small as a gimmick because you can't go big and you need to get *any* advantage.

Granger plays SF. You just don't want him to steal minutes from Ron and prove that Ron is really just another SF, shouldn't play more than 30-34 mpg, and just might be expendable.

if he has to rely on getting all his minutes strictly behind ron....then hes not gonna play much....especially if jj is retained....

cmon...despite ur disdain for ron....even u know that....

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell
    Granger can shoot the three, but he is not a perimiter player. He averaged 9 rebounds last season. He is capable of attacking the basket, something JJ rarely does. He's physical and a decent defender and shot blocker. Not like James Jones at all.

James Jones can defend and block shots, but he doesn't put it on the floor and go to the rack much.

granger is not playing playing PF period.....he is a an all around excellent talent at SF and fits the perfect mold of a SF.

either JJ, artest, or freddy will be gone next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    James Jones can defend and block shots, but he doesn't put it on the floor and go to the rack much.
    Granger is a great defender. He can guard any PG/SG/SF and do a pretty good job on him. IMO, He's a better defender then James Jones.

Chest Rockwell

Hopefully Granger provides the scoring punch and defense that we lost when we traded Al. Croshere provides rebounding and hustle, but once his shot went bye bye, he became a marginal NBA player.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I think JJ is becoming, arguably, a great defender. He did a bangup job on Pierce--not an easy thing. And he had a block or two at the end of a couple of games that were downright phenomenal.

JJ has also revealed a very seriously intangible: the Horry intangible of being clutch down the stretch--both with those big blocks and also hitting big shots when the game is winding down. This is very crucial. We have no idea yet if Granger is that type of character. If he's not, he's worth less to me than JJ.

In a lot of matchups, I'm comfortable playing Ron at the 4.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Jesus Shuttlesworth

If we were able to go small that would be insane: O'Neal, Artest, Granger, Jackson, and Tinsley.

Rick Carlisle was just on WIBC, or I should say his press conference was on WIBC. He said the Pacers would have taken Grainger at number 5. Rick sounded very happy

Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    Granger is a great defender. He can guard any PG/SG/SF and do a pretty good job on him. IMO, He's a better defender then James Jones.
    The thing Im most excited about is playing Artest and Granger together at times during games. Granger has the ability to be a lock down defender. He has good lateral quickness but his lenght makes it very difficult for players to get around him. He also is a physical defender.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    In a lot of matchups, I'm comfortable playing Ron at the 4.
    Ron, at 245, may by able to play PF in a limited role. But I don't think he'd be very good at defending the post. He's a one-on-one, perimeter lockdown guy but let's not pretend he's a great post defender.

Granger is 6'8" 225/230. He's the exact same size as most "prototype" SFs. He's not going to spend any time playing PF.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

NotLosingButWinning

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Shuttlesworth
    If we were able to go small that would be insane: O'Neal, Artest, Granger, Jackson, and Tinsley.
    that would be awesome.

I love James. Larry Bird says he loves James. I see no reason why James should go.