Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast
Results 476 to 500 of 597

Thread: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

  1. #476
    The Dude Abides pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,663
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    It took me a while to like Denari, and I'm still not his biggest fan. Little things though, because overall he is actually quite good. But I'd be ok with an upgrade.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

  2. #477
    let's do better Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    23,750

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It took me a while to like Denari, and I'm still not his biggest fan. Little things though, because overall he is actually quite good. But I'd be ok with an upgrade.
    good luck finding one. Denari is a pro's pro in the announcing game.

    HOWEVA, that's what kinda makes him peculiar on a local broadcast. so much of local calls are familiarity and rapport, chemistry, all that sorta stuff. Denari can call a game w/ the best of em, knows all the P's and Q's and everything, but the rapport and chemistry (not that it's great, but this is Denari's problem) is all Quinn. you may not like Buckner's giggles and goofy stuff, but it lightens it way the hell up.

    I think he'd be a lot better suited in a national role and let MJB run the show on FSI. I also think MJB's a broadcaster HOFer and is my perfect kinda dickhead though.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  4. #478
    The Dude Abides pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,663
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    good luck finding one. Denari is a pro's pro in the announcing game.

    HOWEVA, that's what kinda makes him peculiar on a local broadcast. so much of local calls are familiarity and rapport, chemistry, all that sorta stuff. Denari can call a game w/ the best of em, knows all the P's and Q's and everything, but the rapport and chemistry (not that it's great, but this is Denari's problem) is all Quinn. you may not like Buckner's giggles and goofy stuff, but it lightens it way the hell up.

    I think he'd be a lot better suited in a national role and let MJB run the show on FSI. I also think MJB's a broadcaster HOFer and is my perfect kinda dickhead though.
    Boyle is world class, HOF, no doubt.

    Denari, to me, just has a voice I personally don't care for. And he pronounces some words in ways professional announcers should not. My biggest gripe is that he says "eem" instead of "him." But there are a few other little things like that, that are really just part of the local accent, that I think a professional broadcaster should clean up. Otherwise, he's very good, and it's just sort of a personal opinion.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

  5. #479
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,135

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Wilt, Oliver Miller, Shaq. One of these things is not like the other.


    Bottom line Shaq was incredibly strong. Certainly as strong as Wilt and naturally bigger.


    What a match up that would be
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  6. #480
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    33,023

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Shaq would certainly have more overall mass than Wilt. But stronger? I'm not sold on the muscle mass, especially if we're talking LA Wilt, who lost his sprinter speed but was basically 320 lbs of solid muscle. He got into bodybuilding late on his career and I don't know if I've ever seen a center as ripped as he was in his 30s.

    Calling wilt "skinny" at any point in his career is just plain wrong. If you know that little about Wilt you probably shouldn't comment on him.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-09-2017 at 09:00 AM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  8. #481
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,644

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep, I don't think Denari is going to go anywhere, but I'd rather get rid of him than Quinn. He's very good, I'm just tired of him.
    I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but Brad Stevens is from Zionsville.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  10. #482
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,135

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Calling wilt "skinny" at any point in his career is just plain wrong. If you know that little about Wilt you probably shouldn't comment on him.

    You might want to read the thread before assigning comments to the wrong people. If not then you should probably keep your opinions to yourself.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:


  12. #483
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,135

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    I am old enough to have watched Wilt when he played for the Lakers and I did.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  13. #484
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    970

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    I remember an interview with Arnold right after filming Conan where he said he was actually a little embarrassed by how much stronger Wilt was than him when they worked out. He said he would show Wilt a new exercise and then watch him put 3 times more weight on it than Arnold was using and just go to town.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:


  15. #485
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31,575

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shaq would certainly have more overall mass than Wilt. But stronger? I'm not sold on the muscle mass, especially if we're talking LA Wilt, who lost his sprinter speed but was basically 320 lbs of solid muscle. He got into bodybuilding late on his career and I don't know if I've ever seen a center as ripped as he was in his 30s.

    Calling wilt "skinny" at any point in his career is just plain wrong. If you know that little about Wilt you probably shouldn't comment on him.
    Early in his career, he looked pretty skinny. But I didn't play against him and watch him in person like you clearly did, so I'll just defer to him being lean muscle. I just think prime Shaq vs prime Wilt, Shaq would have been able to impose his will physically like he did on the great centers of his day.

  16. #486

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember an interview with Arnold right after filming Conan where he said he was actually a little embarrassed by how much stronger Wilt was than him when they worked out. He said he would show Wilt a new exercise and then watch him put 3 times more weight on it than Arnold was using and just go to town.
    Wilt probably had 60 lbs on him and wasn't diet restricted like Arnold. For what ever reason Arnold has always been insecure of taller guys.

    As for who I would take I know Shaq was burying back boards in college and in the NBA. He was lean in college and still came into the league at 303 lbs.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:


  18. #487
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    31
    Posts
    11,026

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but Brad Stevens is from Zionsville.
    Also, did you know Marcus Pollard played basketball at Bradley?

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  20. #488

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    I like to squeeze from the top of the toothpaste tube.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post:


  22. #489
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    29
    Posts
    39,866

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    La Croix sucks



  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  24. #490

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    La Croix sucks
    Now this I disagree with!

  25. #491
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    6,369

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    La Croix sucks
    I'm not a fan either but I love when people try to sound cultured and pronounce it Le-Qua,
    It's made in La Crosse Wisconsin and has always been pronounced La-Croy. From some reason people on the west coast think it's a french product.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

    Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

  26. #492
    Member Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    26,849

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not a fan either but I love when people try to sound cultured and pronounce it Le-Qua,
    It's made in La Crosse Wisconsin and has always been pronounced La-Croy. From some reason people on the west coast think it's a french product.
    Even if it was a French product it wouldn't be pronounced Le-Qua
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

  27. #493
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31,575

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not a fan either but I love when people try to sound cultured and pronounce it Le-Qua,
    It's made in La Crosse Wisconsin and has always been pronounced La-Croy. From some reason people on the west coast think it's a french product.
    I pronounce it La Croyx because **** your fancy French words for your abhorrent carbonated drink.

  28. #494
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    33,023

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Unless there are suburban white women present in this discussion I'm not aware of, that drink was not made for you...
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-10-2017 at 06:08 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  29. #495
    Member solid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    south eastern Indiana
    Posts
    834
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by BornIndy07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The NBA needs to get rid of charges. Ruins the game
    As long as they also eliminate fouls for smokin' those little turds when they come crashing inside then I'm good with that. Let um play. But nothing is so ugly in basketball as attacking the glass to earn trips to the line. I despise the Beard.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to solid For This Useful Post:


  31. #496
    let's do better Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    23,750

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by solid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    smokin' those little turds
    New PD motto

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  33. #497
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    29
    Posts
    39,866

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unless there are suburban white women present in this discussion I'm not aware of, that drink was not made for you...
    It's become an extremely "hip" drink for people in their mid 20s. Both male and female, and I don't understand it at all.



  34. #498
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    31
    Posts
    11,026

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    I think La Croix is good. It's funny how popular it has gotten, my grandma was drinking that stuff quite awhile ago. There is a lot more awareness of healthy eating among younger people and La Croix is considered healthier than soda, although I don't know how true that really is.

    I was at a coffee shop recently, and this obviously upper class American family was in front of me. Their annoying brat little kid kept whining for a crossaint but was pronouncing the word in perfect French. For some reason it made me want to choke the kid out, it sounded so pretentious and annoying.

    Also, why the hell are they getting rid of the one soda I drink, which is Coke Zero?

    Also, is Kombucha a thing in Indiana?
    Last edited by idioteque; 08-11-2017 at 07:28 AM.

  35. #499
    The Dude Abides pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,663
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think La Croix is good. It's funny how popular it has gotten, my grandma was drinking that stuff quite awhile ago. There is a lot more awareness of healthy eating among younger people and La Croix is considered healthier than soda, although I don't know how true that really is.

    I was at a coffee shop recently, and this obviously upper class American family was in front of me. Their annoying brat little kid kept whining for a crossaint but was pronouncing the word in perfect French. For some reason it made me want to choke the kid out, it sounded so pretentious and annoying.

    Also, why the hell are they getting rid of the one soda I drink, which is Coke Zero?

    Also, is Kombucha a thing in Indiana?
    I've seen friends in other states post pics of their kombucha to facebook, but I've never seen it in person. Don't really even know what it is, to be honest. I assume you dip avocado toast and/or student loan debt in it?
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:


  37. #500
    Member pacers_heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,793
    Mood

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    La croix is healthy. It's basically just carbonated water with some very light natural flavoring like lime juice. I have a soda stream at home and I make fizzy water all the time and drink it by itself, it's refreshing. Been popular in europe for a long time.
    Lifelong pacers fan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •