Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast

Thread: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Comparing 3 pointers with home runs and touchdowns is silly.

I'm not against Reggie being in the hall but you can't come up with a better reason?
    The point wasn't to compare 3-pointers to HRs or TDs. The point was that anyone who retires as the leader in one of their sport's major categories should get HOF recognition. 3-pointers made is one of the major categories.

Also, I did go on to state more reasons. He led a franchise that was hot garbage to contention for nearly two decades. He's got an Olympic gold as a nice little feather in the cap. He was a major player on the stage of the 90s, even if it wasn't at the level of MJ. He also holds or held a number of records in free-throws, but again, just a feather in the cap. Point is, his career was impressive by any measure, and he retired as the ALL-TIME leader in a major category. That, to me, equals HOF.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Sorry but Mr. Pacer to me will always be Bob "Slick" Leonard.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wasn't using the term as it being his nickname but rather the fact that Reggie completely dominates the Pacer statistical leaderboard. Not sure if I've ever called him Mr. Pacer prior.

It just says a lot that a particular person dismisses the points=td argument and then completely ignores all the other statistical categories that Reggie is #1 for the franchise to focus in on a throw away line at the end of the post.

You're free to have your ****** opinion that Reggie isn't HoF material, but just know actual voters who's opinions are the only real ones that matter have already given a clear indication that they disagree. The back and forth over whether he is or isn't is just irrelevant noise.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I wasn't using the term as it being his nickname but rather the fact that Reggie completely dominates the Pacer statistical leaderboard. Not sure if I've ever called him Mr. Pacer prior.

It just says a lot that a particular person dismisses the points=td argument and then completely ignores all the other statistical categories that Reggie is #1 for the franchise to focus in on a throw away line at the end of the post.

You're free to have your ****** opinion that Reggie isn't HoF material, but just know actual voters who's opinions are the only real ones that matter have already given a clear indication that they disagree. The back and forth over whether he is or isn't is just irrelevant noise.

Yeah, but people also called Darrel Armstrong "Mr. Magic" since he played there so many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    That's the thing is he in the HOF for talent or legacy? Its subjective.

On talent? I don't see him as an HOFer.

On legacy? Its like Dungy because of how well known he was and a member of the media carried more weight than their actual talent/skill.

I don't underestimate how well remembered Reggie is around the country. Considering he got into battles with the Knicks and Jordan both well known entities and still in the public eye yes I see why he's remembered. I also think it was a huge factor in him going to the HOF rather than his on the court play.

But had he not played for the Pacers I don't think people around here would view him with the same HOF reverence.
    Reggie's a HOFer because of what he accomplished on the basketball court. The raw talent wasn't a traditional HOF talent, but the accomplishments were.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    That's fine, but he never dribbled a basketball for the Pacers either.

When you're talking about a 50 year old franchise that's had a decent amount of success, you gotta also give major props to the player who dominates the franchise stat book and put the team on the map in the modern TV era.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    Oh wow, I randomly tried a trilogy this weekend. My stomach wasn't doing that great and I knew it was supposed to be full of probiotics. Apart from it exploding on me it was pretty good and definitely did me no harm.
    Man, never,ever shake that stuff before opening it. Haha.
    Glad you liked it.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

13. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

He'll be supplanted by Lance Stephenson soon

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Absofreakin'lutely.

Without Slick, there are no Pacers now. I think that trumps (sorry folks ...) any numbers a guy can put up.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

The basketball HOF is full of good players, many of whom are worse and had much less distinguished careers than Reggie.
    You're right and there are still some that include Reggie in the very good but not HOF worthy category.

I mean Dungy is in the Pro Football HOF but I don't think his career warranted it still a good coach though.

You can think someone isn't worthy of the HOF even if they are technically in the HOF.

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    You're right and there are still some that include Reggie in the very good but not HOF worthy category.

I mean Dungy is in the Pro Football HOF but I don't think his career warranted it still a good coach though.

You can think someone isn't worthy of the HOF even if they are technically in the HOF.
    NFL and basketball halls aren't comparable. Well, they are, but it's a bad comparison.
    Danger Zone

NFL and basketball halls aren't comparable. Well, they are, but it's a bad comparison.

My point is its rather subjective as to what many consider HOF worthy a lot of it is politicized.

I mean if it were really about on the court/field accomplishments alone many players wouldn't have waited as long as they have to get in the HOF yet those who I don't find nearly as accomplished didn't have to wait as long.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I realize it might be impossible w/ the way seating is set up, but I think the court should be widened to at least 98 feet and the 3 point line pushed back to 25'.

also, every form of post-high school basketball needs to adapt uniform court dimensions, and game structure in terms of shot clock (I'm even open to the NBA going to 30 seconds), 12 minute quarters instead of 20 minutes halves, 6 foul foul outs.

and you gotta clear it above the 3 after an offensive board. ok joking about that one.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 08-17-2017 at 03:46 AM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I realize it might be impossible w/ the way seating is set up, but I think the court should be widened to at least 98 feet and the 3 point line pushed back to 25'.

also, every form of post-high school basketball needs to adapt uniform court dimensions, and game structure in terms of shot clock (I'm even open to the NBA going to 30 seconds), 12 minute quarters instead of 20 minutes halves, 6 foul foul outs.

and you gotta clear it above the 3 after an offensive board. ok joking about that one.
    I'd be in favor of a few rule changes to balance some of the rule changes that have made shooters more valuable and post players less valuable.
    A solid 3 point arc set 25' sideline to sideline with no corner 3 would go a long way. Sadly, I think the league would be just as apt to consider a 4 point shot which would have the opposite effect on the game.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you want post players to be more valuable, bring back the illegal defense rule. Simple as that.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I don't give a **** about the post game. watching Dream work his magic was, well, magical, just the same as it is watching Steph drill 30 footers like I'm dropping ping pong balls in a solo cup. skilled basketball is skilled basketball.

I just want a bigger court strictly because the players have gotten bigger, stronger, faster and will keeping doing so and with the era of position-less ball there just simply isn't enough room. they changed the lane cuz of Wilt, they need to do it for going on a couple generations of freaks.

the little bit of traditionalist in my heart does kinda want banks from the wing from like 17+ feet out to be 3 points though. kinda.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I don't give a **** about the post game. watching Dream work his magic was, well, magical, just the same as it is watching Steph drill 30 footers like I'm dropping ping pong balls in a solo cup. skilled basketball is skilled basketball.

I just want a bigger court strictly because the players have gotten bigger, stronger, faster and will keeping doing so and with the era of position-less ball there just simply isn't enough room. they changed the lane cuz of Wilt, they need to do it for going on a couple generations of freaks.

the little bit of traditionalist in my heart does kinda want banks from the wing from like 17+ feet out to be 3 points though. kinda.
    Points are being scored more easily now than in the past, which seems to contradict what you're saying. "Bigger, faster" players aren't running into each other near as often as they were in the 90s.

There are actual fewer fouls called now than at any point in history. The peak foul era was actually in the 50s and early 60s.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-17-2017 at 08:22 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Undefeated

My opinion - It's going to be a rough year for professional sports fans in Indianapolis
    Danger Zone

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It would screw up the scoring records, but I have been thinking that it would be more balanced if regular basket was 3 points and 3-pointer was 4 points. You would need to score 3 long-range shots to equal four regular ones instead of two to three as now. "3-pointer" (read 4-pointer) would still be a weapon in trying to come back from a larger deficit, but it would no longer be that effective a shot in long-term.

I would also uniformly give defense a benefit of doubt in every 50/50-situation.

My opinion - It's going to be a rough year for professional sports fans in Indianapolis

I don't think it will be so bad because at this point most people are apathetic about both teams.

I think it was worse for the Pacers around the brawl

And the Colts when Manning was out for the year(although people were okay with that because of Luck)

The Colts are going to suck.

I'm not sure about the Pacers. It depends on what some of these young guys do. We could be anywhere from 25 wins to a 7th or 8th seed with 40+ wins.

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    The Colts are going to suck.

I'm not sure about the Pacers. It depends on what some of these young guys do. We could be anywhere from 25 wins to a 7th or 8th seed with 40+ wins.
    As a passing NFL fan, is the Colt's season purely dependent on Luck's health?

In other words, if he starts gameday 1, it's a good season, if he doesn't, it won't be?
    https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

Change is neither good or bad, it simply is.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post

In other words, if he starts gameday 1, it's a good season, if he doesn't, it won't be?
    Him playing week 1 doesn't guarantee a good year but him missing any significant time definitely guarantees a bad one

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post

I personally don't think so.

This team is mediocre regardless of whether Luck plays or not. That being said unlike the other QBs on this roster he makes the Colts a bit more palatable with their mediocrity.

This was already going to be a transition year even if Luck played because Pagano will IMO be gone after this season its setting up to happen that way.

Jimbo would rather have Luck not play than to damage him further(wish he thought this the last 3 games of last season...)

But he's going to try and con er sell the fanbase into thinking Luck is only going to be possibly out if at all for a short period of time because you know he has tickets to sell.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

My unpopular opinion: Andrew Luck won't play a game all season. Chuck Pagano will be fired after Week 3's home loss to Cleveland. Colts will have a top 2 or 3 pick in 2018 NFL Draft because Irsay is throwing the season. Nets will make the playoffs. Pacers will fall just short & draft 13th overall. Hopefully we can land Collin Sexton, PG from Alabama.

CBS Sports currently has us picking 5th & taking Doncic.
    Last edited by I Love P; 08-18-2017 at 12:05 AM.