Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimePacerFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And no way, there was nothing enjoyable about those 90s Knicks teams.
    They toughened the 90's Pacer's squads up.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pogi For This Useful Post:

I don't have a dog in the Kaepernick fight, but I would guess if you used your job to highlight a personal, political opinion you ight find yourself out of a job. Especially if your actions turned off paying customers to your employer's product.

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    They toughened the 90's Pacer's squads up.
    In the end we both didn't get anything out of it since we were sacrificial lambs for the Bulls. I mean I hate the Knicks but at times I wonder why considering they weren't even our biggest obstacle it was the Bulls and we never overcame them(neither did the Knicks for that matter)

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    I don't have a dog in the Kaepernick fight, but I would guess if you used your job to highlight a personal, political opinion you ight find yourself out of a job. Especially if your actions turned off paying customers to your employer's product.
    Of course. The question is, why have his actions "turned off paying customers"? Will society as a whole feel the same way 20 years from now? I think not...

Anyway, Cory Joseph will play in an all-star game!

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Here's an unpopular one: Game of Thrones the TV show sucks. It is so underwhelming compared to how I imagined it when I was reading the books.
    The early parts, that were still from the books, were pretty good. But as the TV show went past the books, it has underwhelmed. Perhaps it is the quality of the writing, since the TV writers are only getting general ideas about the story line and they have to make up more than they would from the books. But I think it is the nature of TV writing vs book writing that is the difference.

It seems that TV stories are more character driven. The star is the star and the story is written around him or her. Supporting characters that catch viewers eyes are given more screen time. There are a finite number of actresses and actors for parts. A story writer can use 5 or 6 names to show a sub plot and the TV writer will condense them into one or two actors. TV scripts are simpler. Extra subplots are ignored or not introduced. Popular actors or actresses are not killed off as quickly as unpopular ones. Novel writers are not as wedded to their characters as TV's are. The novel writer can kill off a character and create a new one almost at will. The TV writer almost never kills off a guy that the viewers like. Plus the story lines are different. TV story lines are about the character and what happens to them, novel story lines are about the story and how the characters fit into it.

GOT has turned into just another TV show as it gets past where the books end, at least IMO.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    George Hill is the best point guard (not best floor general or passer, that's Mark Jackson) the Pacers have had in 30 years.
    Evidently you never saw Don Buse play.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    Evidently you never saw Don Buse play.
    Evidently neither did you, since Buse last played for the Pacers 35 years ago...

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Well, since the topic of George Hill has been brought up.

George isn't even a PG so I'm not sure why he's being compared to Mark Jackson or Jamaal Tinsley. IMO, Mark had a more successful career and was more effective in the playoffs. George either couldn't play because he's always injured or he was physically overpowered by Miami guards so the Pacers gave the ball to the great Lance Stephenson. Then George had to shoot corner jumpers. Worse, he sulked and dragged down the team because he wasn't up to being the man. That's not a PG and it's not a leader. He cannot even stay on the court.

Finally, Jamaal Tinsley would destroy George Hill. People forget that JT had all-star level talent...something George never sniffed.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    The early parts, that were still from the books, were pretty good. But as the TV show went past the books, it has underwhelmed. Perhaps it is the quality of the writing, since the TV writers are only getting general ideas about the story line and they have to make up more than they would from the books. But I think it is the nature of TV writing vs book writing that is the difference.

It seems that TV stories are more character driven. The star is the star and the story is written around him or her. Supporting characters that catch viewers eyes are given more screen time. There are a finite number of actresses and actors for parts. A story writer can use 5 or 6 names to show a sub plot and the TV writer will condense them into one or two actors. TV scripts are simpler. Extra subplots are ignored or not introduced. Popular actors or actresses are not killed off as quickly as unpopular ones. Novel writers are not as wedded to their characters as TV's are. The novel writer can kill off a character and create a new one almost at will. The TV writer almost never kills off a guy that the viewers like. Plus the story lines are different. TV story lines are about the character and what happens to them, novel story lines are about the story and how the characters fit into it.

GOT has turned into just another TV show as it gets past where the books end, at least IMO.
    I agree with this, having just finished the first book. I think the series nailed it early on. But right now, idk about the general consensus but the first two episodes of this penultimate (and short!) season have been mediocre at best. If tonight's episode doesn't deliver I'm inclined to write the series off. I did like some of the last few seasons, though... there were some amazing moments (like the Bolton/Snow showdown).

As for George Hill, uhh... Jeff Teague was a better PG in his one season here than Hill ever was. There's your best Pacer PG since Jackson; Tinsley had creative passing ability but never really put up big numbers throughout an entire season, and he was a liability shooting. Plus he did dumb things, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Kaepernick's not in the NFL because he can't throw. As a spokesman for a cause, he was absolutely atrocious. He was a smug, bumbling buffoon who looked like a complete clown with that lettuce.
    Idk if we are still allowed to comment on the Kap thing, but he's much better than plenty of the backup QBs in the league.

Given some of the lackluster talent toward the bottom of the QB pool, he's probably better than some starters as well.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't stand all-star games (in all sports) and especially hate the dunk contest and home run derby. Dunking in general is overrated.

I agree with the sentiments of we have a bad fan base. Always have IMO for Colts and Pacers. Very fair-weathered and bandwagony (just made up a word).

I am still fine with the GHill/Kawhi trade. At the time it made sense for us and we still did great things with George.

I wish there was an option to listen to Boyle while watching the game. Delays always kill it for me. Or just listen to the game with no commentators. Just the players shoes squeaking, them talking and the crowd. Much better than to hear people like JVG and Jax go on and on about 1 topic for 30 minutes while the game is being played.

Maybe a Popular Opinion: Another thing killing NBA and NFL are how many timeouts there are, especially at the end of the games. Or maybe just the length of the timeouts.

Oh...and I love Chipotle and bacon (turkey or pork), get my steaks medium to medium-well, never seen Game of Thrones, don't care for comic book movies, have always respected pro-wrestling for the theatrics and dedication but it's a scripted show and never will root for a former Pacer once they go to a different team (no matter what the circumstances are).

And the Cable Guy is Jim Carey's best movie of all time.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cramerica For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dale Davis is vastly overrated by some people on this board, especially one of the mods...

* Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    My main personal deal with the show is this......

The subject got brought up amongst some coworkers about favorite shows. I mentioned that "Breaking Bad" was my favorite because:
    1. The show told its story, and didn't leave any loose-ends. Everything was explained somehow along the way
    2. It left at it's peak. Like many other of my favorite shows, the last couple seasons didnt start to lag, at all. In fact, IMO, it got better and better as it went on.
    3. It had one of the best finales you could get in a series
    4. The writing was top-notch. Even the sub-plots somehow correlated itself into the main story in some fasion, without it being always an unbelievable Deus ex machina. There were realistic scenarios.

And I wasn't expecting everyone to jump in line and feel the same way I do. I know that there are things I like that others don't like, and vise-versa. I stated that I tried watching a couple episodes in the first season, but it just didn't appeal to me. Maybe if it came out 30 years ago, when I was really into all of that type of stuff, I'd probably love it. Also, I didn't watch it from the pilot on, and I explained that. But, almost in unison, all I heard was...
    • That's because you don't get it!
    • You have to be intelligent to like it
    • Every other show is *****ty compared to it!
    • Game of Thrones p!sses on every other show out there!

And it wasn't just them - I'd say every 4 out of 5 fans of the show that I've talked to has given me a similar response; or, they'll try to shove it down my throat like Jehovah witnesses. So now, I'm to where I'm like: "Fxxx Game of Thrones!" And I don't mean that toward of the posters on this board that like it, I'm just as sick of hearing about it as I am about whatever the hell Lavar Ball is doing.
    I don't blame you. I do watch it and have gotten interested enough in it, but I think it is overrated based on similar things I've heard as the points you laid out.

There are just too many stories keep straight. I don't have the time to focus on all of them lol. Like I said, I like it, but I do think it gets rated too highly.

Now BB? Greatest drama of my generation ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    Tim Tebow also took a knee, but somehow that was received 180 degrees from Kap.

The masses "approve " of some causes but not others.

Oh, and Kap>>>>>TT in terms of talent, before anyone thinks I'm suggesting they're on the same level from a football perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    Dale Davis is vastly overrated by some people on this board, especially one of the mods...

There needs to be an "unthank" button lol

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Lamar Mundane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    A VERY reliable source told me last year that Al said last year that this is how he likes to handle every summer - lets the weight pour on then just plays it off. Last year was not an exception, it was the rule. His rule.
    uh, what happened to the playing it off part last year?

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar Mundane View Post
    Tim Tebow also took a knee, but somehow that was received 180 degrees from Kap.

The masses "approve " of some causes but not others.

Oh, and Kap>>>>>TT in terms of talent, before anyone thinks I'm suggesting they're on the same level from a football perspective.

Funny you should mention Tebow I don't recall anyone in the media balking about him not being in the NFL anymore(course he had a couple more chances before he flamed out for good) despite taking a team to the playoffs and winning a playoff game.

Yet the media is taking up for Kaep being unemployed yet there are other NFL QBs that are also unemployed right now and don't get this much attention.

And yet nobody seems to have an answer to other players who also kneeled during the anthem and still have their jobs.

Could it be their talent outweighs their distraction factor?

I don't have an issue with Kaep taking a knee I thought less of him for saying he wouldn't do it anymore if he got signed by another NFL team.

I mean it would be one thing if he held firm to his convictions but he didn't and makes him look like a bigger idiot.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I never thought Tebow got a real shot after his amazing playoff runs. I considered him one of those guys that—despite the stats and the math—just showed up when it mattered and won. I thought Flutie was the same way, and he didn't seem to get a real shot either, before going to the Canadian league.
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Lavar Ball is just awesome. Never ceases to entertain.

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Kaepernick's not in the NFL because he can't throw. As a spokesman for a cause, he was absolutely atrocious. He was a smug, bumbling buffoon who looked like a complete clown with that lettuce.
    This reads a bit racist.
    Danger Zone

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by cramerica View Post
    I wish there was an option to listen to Boyle while watching the game. Delays always kill it for me.
    I believe you can sync up the radio with the TV and just turn off the TV sound (Boyle is great!):

http://www.sportsyncradio.com/
    Danger Zone

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

This may have been said, but...I do not care what uniforms the Pacers wear. It's irrelevant. Worrying about uniform styles is dumb.

[~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    This may have been said, but...I do not care what uniforms the Pacers wear. It's irrelevant. Worrying about uniform styles is dumb.
    All I ask is it the team colors and you can read the numbers.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

Danny Granger in the end was a better Pacer than Paul George.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post: