Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 591

Thread: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

  1. #276
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    5,513

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kapernick is 100% good enough to be on a roster and should be.

    Shows the issue when you're comparing him to vicious women beaters.
    Kaepernick's distractions outweigh his talent. That's why he's not on a roster. It's not hard to understand.
    #DBAP

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:


  3. #277
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,701

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, he literally gave up millions of dollars to become a social justice warrior. And he's completely duped the media too into convincing people that the NFL is blackballing him.

    So, certainly any future documentary would probably see Kaepernick in a positive light, when he really is not employed by the NFL for the same reason Ray Rice and Tim Tebow aren't. And that reason is neither is good enough to overcome the distraction they would bring to the team.
    You aren't a hero or brave if you knowingly avoid risk, and if you steer directly into risking a great deal in order to stand for a cause I consider that pretty heroic. If no one cared about him kneeling then what exactly would the point of the exercise even be? Hey look, Player X is wearing a slightly off-green armband to show he's pro-puppy. That's not a hero.

    "You" don't believe in his cause and it's costing him his career to stand up against "you" because he thinks you are wrong and the cause is valid. Sounds like a pretty standard definition hero to me.

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  5. #278

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You aren't a hero or brave if you knowingly avoid risk, and if you steer directly into risking a great deal in order to stand for a cause I consider that pretty heroic. If no one cared about him kneeling then what exactly would the point of the exercise even be? Hey look, Player X is wearing a slightly off-green armband to show he's pro-puppy. That's not a hero.

    "You" don't believe in his cause and it's costing him his career to stand up against "you" because he thinks you are wrong and the cause is valid. Sounds like a pretty standard definition hero to me.
    I really didn't want to start this discussion here. Whether we consider Kaepernick a hero today is irrelevant to my initial point. Future generations will agree with your stance. Right, wrong, or indifferent.

  6. #279
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    31
    Posts
    11,032

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    If Luck is out, for football reasons alone I'd rather have Kap than Tolzein. Will never happen though.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  8. #280

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's an unpopular one: Game of Thrones the TV show sucks. It is so underwhelming compared to how I imagined it when I was reading the books.
    I don't watch that show or any of these popular shows on HBO, Starz they seem so dark to me. I don't mind dark shows but I like some balance too. I feel like they use "gritty" to rationalize the violence and overall misogyny these shows exhibit mostly by male showrunners.

    I tend to go for much happier fare since the real world is depressing enough.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  10. #281
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    7,977

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kaepernick's distractions outweigh his talent. That's why he's not on a roster. It's not hard to understand.
    It's not hard to understand that criminals make teams to stay on the practice squad. If Kapernick is more of a distraction than a violent criminal you should reevaluate your morals.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:


  12. #282

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Luck is out, for football reasons alone I'd rather have Kap than Tolzein.
    If Kap can help the Colts tank for a better draft pick I would too.

  13. #283

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not hard to understand that criminals make teams to stay on the practice squad. If Kapernick is more of a distraction than a violent criminal you should reevaluate your morals.
    Lost in all this Ray Rice doesn't have a job.

    And everyone knows he beat up his wife. But no team will touch him because of it and they aren't obligated to either.

    Also didn't help he was already on the decline at that point.

    Adrian Peterson beat the crap out of his kid but he has a job because he's still good at what he does.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  15. #284

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Back to basketball...

    Whatever team trades for Kyrie Irving will be making a mistake. He's not good enough to be the top player on a championship team.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LongTimePacerFan For This Useful Post:


  17. #285

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by LongTimePacerFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Back to basketball...

    Whatever team trades for Kyrie Irving will be making a mistake. He's not good enough to be the top player on a championship team.
    It depends on the team not real sure I can write that off just yet. Many thought this about Kobe once upon a time...

  18. #286
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    31
    Posts
    11,032

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lost in all this Ray Rice doesn't have a job.

    And everyone knows he beat up his wife. But no team will touch him because of it and they aren't obligated to either.

    Also didn't help he was already on the decline at that point.

    Adrian Peterson beat the crap out of his kid but he has a job because he's still good at what he does.
    NFL fans generally tend more conservative to me. Not just politically, but culturally. A lot probably didn't even have a problem with what AP did.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  20. #287

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NFL fans generally tend more conservative to me. Not just politically, but culturally. A lot probably didn't even have a problem with what AP did.
    Compared to Kaepernick yeah I would agree with you the NFL is definitely the most conservative of the major 4 sports but other NFL players took the same stance and are employed. So I'm not real sure why people act as if Kaepernick is being slighted for his beliefs here.

  21. #288
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,701

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the Pacers make the playoffs, it will be because Al Jefferson dragged them there.

    I expect that Al will have a good season this year. Since he hasn't been cut, I assume he is/has lost weight. And coming in at his playing weight makes him 10x better than any other backup center in the league. This year is a contract year for him, so he has every reason to cut weight and play well.
    A VERY reliable source told me last year that Al said last year that this is how he likes to handle every summer - lets the weight pour on then just plays it off. Last year was not an exception, it was the rule. His rule.

  22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  23. #289
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I said this at the summer meet last week.




    Hoosiers don't aren't nearly as basketball savvy as their reputation suggests. Also there is an undeniable racial overtone to the state-wide fanbase even if it's less prevalent in the city.

    Stack Jack was a great teammate and a dedicated player that fans should have appreciated.

    PG may have just been a non-brawl version of JO.

    Larry Brown is overrated and got a majority of his success based on roster improvements just as he took over a team.

    Jackson undoubtedly took The Brawl to the next level when he started unloading on fans. Add Club Rio to that and there's no way in hell that any fan base would have liked him if all that happened when he was on their team. Has nothing to do with Hoosier fans being odd. Jackson was just toxic from a marketing standpoint.

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  25. #290

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A VERY reliable source told me last year that Al said last year that this is how he likes to handle every summer - lets the weight pour on then just plays it off. Last year was not an exception, it was the rule. His rule.
    So is he back on that Popeyes?

  26. #291
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A VERY reliable source told me last year that Al said last year that this is how he likes to handle every summer - lets the weight pour on then just plays it off. Last year was not an exception, it was the rule. His rule.
    Lmao, and we're paying this clown $10 million a season. Yeah, that can probably work when you're 27, but clearly you aren't dedicated if you think you can keep that going into your 30's (if the story is true, which I don't doubt given how worthless he was last season).

  27. #292
    Member pogi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    983
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's an unpopular one: Game of Thrones the TV show sucks. It is so underwhelming compared to how I imagined it when I was reading the books.
    My main personal deal with the show is this......

    The subject got brought up amongst some coworkers about favorite shows. I mentioned that "Breaking Bad" was my favorite because:
    1. The show told its story, and didn't leave any loose-ends. Everything was explained somehow along the way
    2. It left at it's peak. Like many other of my favorite shows, the last couple seasons didnt start to lag, at all. In fact, IMO, it got better and better as it went on.
    3. It had one of the best finales you could get in a series
    4. The writing was top-notch. Even the sub-plots somehow correlated itself into the main story in some fasion, without it being always an unbelievable Deus ex machina. There were realistic scenarios.


    And I wasn't expecting everyone to jump in line and feel the same way I do. I know that there are things I like that others don't like, and vise-versa. I stated that I tried watching a couple episodes in the first season, but it just didn't appeal to me. Maybe if it came out 30 years ago, when I was really into all of that type of stuff, I'd probably love it. Also, I didn't watch it from the pilot on, and I explained that. But, almost in unison, all I heard was...
    • That's because you don't get it!
    • You have to be intelligent to like it
    • Every other show is *****ty compared to it!
    • Game of Thrones p!sses on every other show out there!


    And it wasn't just them - I'd say every 4 out of 5 fans of the show that I've talked to has given me a similar response; or, they'll try to shove it down my throat like Jehovah witnesses. So now, I'm to where I'm like: "Fxxx Game of Thrones!" And I don't mean that toward of the posters on this board that like it, I'm just as sick of hearing about it as I am about whatever the hell Lavar Ball is doing.

  28. #293
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    7,977

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lost in all this Ray Rice doesn't have a job.

    And everyone knows he beat up his wife. But no team will touch him because of it and they aren't obligated to either.

    Also didn't help he was already on the decline at that point.

    Adrian Peterson beat the crap out of his kid but he has a job because he's still good at what he does.
    What's lost in all this is Ray Rice did get another job after the video.

    He's a running back, not going to be employed forever. Had he not beat his wife he still would have a tough go at it.

    Your really just contradicting yourself.

  29. #294
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Kaepernick's not in the NFL because he can't throw. As a spokesman for a cause, he was absolutely atrocious. He was a smug, bumbling buffoon who looked like a complete clown with that lettuce.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  31. #295
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    7,977

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kaepernick's not in the NFL because he can't throw. As a spokesman for a cause, he was absolutely atrocious. He was a smug, bumbling buffoon who looked like a complete clown with that lettuce.
    I would say he's a high end backup.

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:


  33. #296
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,980

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Alright, I will be the first to admit my fault in this. I started this as a basketball thread to give us something to talk about in August and September. But I made the cardinal sin of participating in discussions that were not basketball in nature. So that's on me.

    I really don't want to go back and delete everything so I am just going to respectfully ask all of you that we just drop the very near political discussion or morality discussion and try and move back to basketball.

    So with that in mind I will give another popular opinion.

    I always enjoyed watching Patrick Ewing play.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  34. #297

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's lost in all this is Ray Rice did get another job after the video.

    He's a running back, not going to be employed forever. Had he not beat his wife he still would have a tough go at it.

    Your really just contradicting yourself.

    I meant as an NFL RB you knew that and are pretending otherwise....

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  36. #298
    let's do better Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    23,766

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always enjoyed watching Patrick Ewing play.
    Pat Ewing could source a crick w/ the amount of sweat he produced every game

  37. #299

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kaepernick's not in the NFL because he can't throw. As a spokesman for a cause, he was absolutely atrocious. He was a smug, bumbling buffoon who looked like a complete clown with that lettuce.
    Disagree with the protest if you want, the argument that he can't throw is just wrong.


    Career stats of Kaepernick: 72 TDs, 30 INTs, 59.8 completion percentage, 88.9 passer rating.

    Career stats of a current NFL starter making 20 million dollars: 69 TDs, 51 INTs, 58.8 completion percentage, 79.6 passer rating.

    Again, right or wrong, his talent is not what's keeping him out of the league.

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to LongTimePacerFan For This Useful Post:


  39. #300

    Default Re: My unpopular opinion thread (summer 2017 version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alright, I will be the first to admit my fault in this. I started this as a basketball thread to give us something to talk about in August and September. But I made the cardinal sin of participating in discussions that were not basketball in nature. So that's on me.

    I really don't want to go back and delete everything so I am just going to respectfully ask all of you that we just drop the very near political discussion or morality discussion and try and move back to basketball.

    So with that in mind I will give another popular opinion.

    I always enjoyed watching Patrick Ewing play.
    Not your fault. It's mine. I said the name Colin Kaepernick on the internet. I should have known better.

    And no way, there was nothing enjoyable about those 90s Knicks teams.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •