Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 120

Thread: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

  1. #26
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,267

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It really did. It went from having a big 3 of LeBron, PG and Kyrie to having none of them. I don't blame him for being bitter. This turn of events is horrible for him.
    True, but he has been the luckiest owner in the league, getting LeBron, then when he leaves winning the lottery twice, then getting Lebron back. And he's managed to burn it all to the ground. In 6 years he got two #1 picks in good drafts and had easily the best player in the league sign as a free agent, and he may not have retained a single decent asset in a year. He low-ball's GMs and screws over coaches. When LeBron leaves no one is going to want to go to Cleveland, and for good reason.
    Danger Zone

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    #LanceEffect TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,500

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    To the salt mines!

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:


  5. #28
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    36
    Posts
    35,043

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I said "arguably". Personally, I liked the OKC trade more than the crapshoot of the Denver trade.
    I think Dipo was available for cap space like Crabbe, get the Denver deal draft Adebayo and trade for Dipo if you want him that bad.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  6. #29
    Member iogyhufi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    333
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    Well, from a "literal genie" standpoint, he's not wrong. If you trade PG at the deadline, you definitely could've gotten more. However, I'm in the "PG was signalling he was willing to give the Pacers a chance at that time" camp, so I'm not going to make a judgment call on that non-move.

  7. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    8,678

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Dipo was available for cap space like Crabbe, get the Denver deal draft Adebayo and trade for Dipo if you want him that bad.
    You can think that all you want but it doesn't make it right


  8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  9. #31
    Member Ichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Shenzhen, China
    Posts
    1,648

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pacers could have drafted Adebayo with Denver's pick.
    Ike is a similar enough player. I know you are really hype about what could have been with Adebayo, but it isn't winning you any arguments. I would rather have Sabonis and Ike.

  10. #32
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    36
    Posts
    35,043

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can think that all you want but it doesn't make it right
    Or don't get Dipo, not getting him is not the worst thing in the world.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  11. #33
    Member Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    26,849

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    True, but he has been the luckiest owner in the league, getting LeBron, then when he leaves winning the lottery twice, then getting Lebron back. And he's managed to burn it all to the ground. In 6 years he got two #1 picks in good drafts and had easily the best player in the league sign as a free agent, and he may not have retained a single decent asset in a year. He low-ball's GMs and screws over coaches. When LeBron leaves no one is going to want to go to Cleveland, and for good reason.
    Oh, absolutely. I'm just pointing out the reasons why he's so salty about this deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He sounds like a lot of people around here to be honest.
    True as well.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  13. #34
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,970

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    I liked the trade before. I love it now.

    The fact we did not help build another super team in the East makes this trade a win just from that standpoint alone. The fact that the Cavs were counting on it makes me even happier.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  14. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  15. #35
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    970

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    Guess we will see. Irving and PG are pretty close in quality and Kyrie has twice the years left on his contract and didn't tank his own value by making it known he only wanted to be in LA. Guess Gilbert should have no issues getting a lot more back than we did when he makes his big move.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:


  17. #36
    THE FRANCHISE Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,938

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    you'll be hard pressed to find anyone outside of PD that thinks Indiana won or even broke even in the trade. vo is mediocre/overpaid and sabonis was very very meh his rookie year.

    that being said.. gilbert shouldn't be commenting on transactions outside of his own. poor business

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:


  19. #37
    Member Ichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Shenzhen, China
    Posts
    1,648

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you'll be hard pressed to find anyone outside of PD that thinks Indiana won or even broke even in the trade. vo is mediocre/overpaid and sabonis was very very meh his rookie year.

    that being said.. gilbert shouldn't be commenting on transactions outside of his own. poor business
    If VO is mediocre, idk what to call Marcus Smart. People aren't really claiming Indiana broke even or won, that would be ridiculous to call at this stage. That being said, hindsight and all that, fools are the types to go all overboard with reactions in regards to trades and draft picks. It takes years of unfolding to figure out the truly good or bad moves.

  20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ichi For This Useful Post:


  21. #38
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,970

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you'll be hard pressed to find anyone outside of PD that thinks Indiana won or even broke even in the trade. vo is mediocre/overpaid and sabonis was very very meh his rookie year.

    that being said.. gilbert shouldn't be commenting on transactions outside of his own. poor business
    How exactly could we have won or broke even on any trade for Paul George going into it with our hands basically tied behind our backs? Even in the best of circumstances you almost never get even value for a star player like him let alone when 28 other teams know he really wants to be with one team only and is an UFA next season. Pritchard pretty much got the best deal he could while also making sure that we did not have to face super teams in the East for the next 3-5 years.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  23. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Evansville
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you'll be hard pressed to find anyone outside of PD that thinks Indiana won or even broke even in the trade. vo is mediocre/overpaid and sabonis was very very meh his rookie year.

    that being said.. gilbert shouldn't be commenting on transactions outside of his own. poor business
    Um...., isn't that what you are doing?

  24. #40
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    31
    Posts
    11,026

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    I think we should have made out of a trade with at least one pick, but given that Gilbert's franchise is one of the worst in the league, it doesn't surprise me that he doesn't understand you don't trade a star player for a slightly worse player that makes a lot of money, you trade a star player for good 2nd-3rd option/role player type guys and find the star you actually want later.

  25. #41
    Member BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,857

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    Not like I want Kyrie, but if Gilbert is handing out players why not Thad for Kyrie? Seems like he's feeling generous.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

  26. #42
    The Dude Abides pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,663
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree.


    Anybody who's watched the NBA the last 15 years on Dan Gilbert's team: "I would say Cleveland could have done better than one title in 10 years of having the best player in the league."
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

  27. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:


  28. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Evansville
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    Dude could have had a lineup of Lebron, PG, Love, Thompson, and JR with Rose as the sixth man. Yeah, he should have pulled the trigger on the PG for Kyrie deal.

  29. #44
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    6,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you'll be hard pressed to find anyone outside of PD that thinks Indiana won or even broke even in the trade. vo is mediocre/overpaid and sabonis was very very meh his rookie year.

    that being said.. gilbert shouldn't be commenting on transactions outside of his own. poor business
    Still waiting for the rumor on this magical "great" trade that the outside world thinks Indiana passed up on...


    Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

  30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:


  31. #45

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    I agree with Gilbert. I think it's irrelevant where we sent Paul as we're not going to be competing this season. Do what's best for Indiana in the long term.

    At best, Harris or Oladipo is debatable in the same way George Hill or Teague is debatable. And for all the people that love Pritchard's other moves for their salary cap flexibility, Harris would've given us $18M more room.

    I'm intrigued by Sabonis' potential, but I'm confident that we would've drafted Mitchell at 13 and I'm certain that he'll have a better career than Sabonis.

    In short, I think we get more talent for both pieces and significantly more salary flexibility with the Cavs deal. I don't think he's a great player, but you could've even absorbed some like Allen Crabbe and still paid less money for Crabbe/Harris than were paying for Oladipo.

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:


  33. #46
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    58
    Posts
    17,023

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How exactly could we have won or broke even on any trade for Paul George going into it with our hands basically tied behind our backs? Even in the best of circumstances you almost never get even value for a star player like him let alone when 28 other teams know he really wants to be with one team only and is an UFA next season. Pritchard pretty much got the best deal he could while also making sure that we did not have to face super teams in the East for the next 3-5 years.
    I think in this specific case, "sending PG to Boston for 2018 and 2019 late first round picks" would have made one person around here feel the trade was fantastic.
    BillS

    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  35. #47
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    10,363
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    I hope the Nets make the playoffs so Boston doesn't get another chance to trade a draft pick for two more draft picks. I hope teams low ball trades for Kylie Irving. I expect injuries to hamper at least one contender and thus making these "stars" feel dumb for jumping ship because of the big bad Warriors are just too good.

    If you site Dan Gilbert to validate your point, you lose everytime. Dan Gilbert is the worst owner in basketball. Worse than Dolan.

  36. #48
    Member sav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    3,604

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


  37. #49
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    6,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    I'm not understanding why the media and NBA is going after Indiana so hard??? Butler and Cousins were probably "worse" trades, and they were trading stars with multiple years left on their contacts and who wasn't sounding off in the media.

    Also, who's proclaiming that Indiana "won" the trade. 99% of the forum thought the Lakers trade was as good as it was going to get. As a fan, I'm just happy to see the team get something of potential. As a forum member, it's nice to see a debate over two legit trade options.


    Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:


  39. #50
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    36
    Posts
    35,043

    Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with Gilbert. I think it's irrelevant where we sent Paul as we're not going to be competing this season. Do what's best for Indiana in the long term.

    At best, Harris or Oladipo is debatable in the same way George Hill or Teague is debatable. And for all the people that love Pritchard's other moves for their salary cap flexibility, Harris would've given us $18M more room.

    I'm intrigued by Sabonis' potential, but I'm confident that we would've drafted Mitchell at 13 and I'm certain that he'll have a better career than Sabonis.

    In short, I think we get more talent for both pieces and significantly more salary flexibility with the Cavs deal. I don't think he's a great player, but you could've even absorbed some like Allen Crabbe and still paid less money for Crabbe/Harris than were paying for Oladipo.

    Post of the thread.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •