Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

Undefeated

Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It really did. It went from having a big 3 of LeBron, PG and Kyrie to having none of them. I don't blame him for being bitter. This turn of events is horrible for him.
    True, but he has been the luckiest owner in the league, getting LeBron, then when he leaves winning the lottery twice, then getting Lebron back. And he's managed to burn it all to the ground. In 6 years he got two #1 picks in good drafts and had easily the best player in the league sign as a free agent, and he may not have retained a single decent asset in a year. He low-ball's GMs and screws over coaches. When LeBron leaves no one is going to want to go to Cleveland, and for good reason.
    Danger Zone

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

To the salt mines!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    That's why I said "arguably". Personally, I liked the OKC trade more than the crapshoot of the Denver trade.
    I think Dipo was available for cap space like Crabbe, get the Denver deal draft Adebayo and trade for Dipo if you want him that bad.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, from a "literal genie" standpoint, he's not wrong. If you trade PG at the deadline, you definitely could've gotten more. However, I'm in the "PG was signalling he was willing to give the Pacers a chance at that time" camp, so I'm not going to make a judgment call on that non-move.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I think Dipo was available for cap space like Crabbe, get the Denver deal draft Adebayo and trade for Dipo if you want him that bad.
    You can think that all you want but it doesn't make it right

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Pacers could have drafted Adebayo with Denver's pick.
    Ike is a similar enough player. I know you are really hype about what could have been with Adebayo, but it isn't winning you any arguments. I would rather have Sabonis and Ike.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    You can think that all you want but it doesn't make it right
    Or don't get Dipo, not getting him is not the worst thing in the world.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    True, but he has been the luckiest owner in the league, getting LeBron, then when he leaves winning the lottery twice, then getting Lebron back. And he's managed to burn it all to the ground. In 6 years he got two #1 picks in good drafts and had easily the best player in the league sign as a free agent, and he may not have retained a single decent asset in a year. He low-ball's GMs and screws over coaches. When LeBron leaves no one is going to want to go to Cleveland, and for good reason.
    Oh, absolutely. I'm just pointing out the reasons why he's so salty about this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    He sounds like a lot of people around here to be honest.
    True as well.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

I liked the trade before. I love it now.

The fact we did not help build another super team in the East makes this trade a win just from that standpoint alone. The fact that the Cavs were counting on it makes me even happier.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

14. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Guess we will see. Irving and PG are pretty close in quality and Kyrie has twice the years left on his contract and didn't tank his own value by making it known he only wanted to be in LA. Guess Gilbert should have no issues getting a lot more back than we did when he makes his big move.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

you'll be hard pressed to find anyone outside of PD that thinks Indiana won or even broke even in the trade. vo is mediocre/overpaid and sabonis was very very meh his rookie year.

that being said.. gilbert shouldn't be commenting on transactions outside of his own. poor business

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    you'll be hard pressed to find anyone outside of PD that thinks Indiana won or even broke even in the trade. vo is mediocre/overpaid and sabonis was very very meh his rookie year.

that being said.. gilbert shouldn't be commenting on transactions outside of his own. poor business
    If VO is mediocre, idk what to call Marcus Smart. People aren't really claiming Indiana broke even or won, that would be ridiculous to call at this stage. That being said, hindsight and all that, fools are the types to go all overboard with reactions in regards to trades and draft picks. It takes years of unfolding to figure out the truly good or bad moves.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ichi For This Useful Post:

How exactly could we have won or broke even on any trade for Paul George going into it with our hands basically tied behind our backs? Even in the best of circumstances you almost never get even value for a star player like him let alone when 28 other teams know he really wants to be with one team only and is an UFA next season. Pritchard pretty much got the best deal he could while also making sure that we did not have to face super teams in the East for the next 3-5 years.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Um...., isn't that what you are doing?

I think we should have made out of a trade with at least one pick, but given that Gilbert's franchise is one of the worst in the league, it doesn't surprise me that he doesn't understand you don't trade a star player for a slightly worse player that makes a lot of money, you trade a star player for good 2nd-3rd option/role player type guys and find the star you actually want later.

Not like I want Kyrie, but if Gilbert is handing out players why not Thad for Kyrie? Seems like he's feeling generous.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Mood

I agree.

Anybody who's watched the NBA the last 15 years on Dan Gilbert's team: "I would say Cleveland could have done better than one title in 10 years of having the best player in the league."
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

27. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Dude could have had a lineup of Lebron, PG, Love, Thompson, and JR with Rose as the sixth man. Yeah, he should have pulled the trigger on the PG for Kyrie deal.

Sports Logo

Still waiting for the rumor on this magical "great" trade that the outside world thinks Indiana passed up on...

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

I agree with Gilbert. I think it's irrelevant where we sent Paul as we're not going to be competing this season. Do what's best for Indiana in the long term.

At best, Harris or Oladipo is debatable in the same way George Hill or Teague is debatable. And for all the people that love Pritchard's other moves for their salary cap flexibility, Harris would've given us $18M more room.

I'm intrigued by Sabonis' potential, but I'm confident that we would've drafted Mitchell at 13 and I'm certain that he'll have a better career than Sabonis.

In short, I think we get more talent for both pieces and significantly more salary flexibility with the Cavs deal. I don't think he's a great player, but you could've even absorbed some like Allen Crabbe and still paid less money for Crabbe/Harris than were paying for Oladipo.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    How exactly could we have won or broke even on any trade for Paul George going into it with our hands basically tied behind our backs? Even in the best of circumstances you almost never get even value for a star player like him let alone when 28 other teams know he really wants to be with one team only and is an UFA next season. Pritchard pretty much got the best deal he could while also making sure that we did not have to face super teams in the East for the next 3-5 years.
    I think in this specific case, "sending PG to Boston for 2018 and 2019 late first round picks" would have made one person around here feel the trade was fantastic.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I hope the Nets make the playoffs so Boston doesn't get another chance to trade a draft pick for two more draft picks. I hope teams low ball trades for Kylie Irving. I expect injuries to hamper at least one contender and thus making these "stars" feel dumb for jumping ship because of the big bad Warriors are just too good.

If you site Dan Gilbert to validate your point, you lose everytime. Dan Gilbert is the worst owner in basketball. Worse than Dolan.

Sports Logo

I'm not understanding why the media and NBA is going after Indiana so hard??? Butler and Cousins were probably "worse" trades, and they were trading stars with multiple years left on their contacts and who wasn't sounding off in the media.

Also, who's proclaiming that Indiana "won" the trade. 99% of the forum thought the Lakers trade was as good as it was going to get. As a fan, I'm just happy to see the team get something of potential. As a forum member, it's nice to see a debate over two legit trade options.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

38. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I agree with Gilbert. I think it's irrelevant where we sent Paul as we're not going to be competing this season. Do what's best for Indiana in the long term.

At best, Harris or Oladipo is debatable in the same way George Hill or Teague is debatable. And for all the people that love Pritchard's other moves for their salary cap flexibility, Harris would've given us $18M more room.

I'm intrigued by Sabonis' potential, but I'm confident that we would've drafted Mitchell at 13 and I'm certain that he'll have a better career than Sabonis.

In short, I think we get more talent for both pieces and significantly more salary flexibility with the Cavs deal. I don't think he's a great player, but you could've even absorbed some like Allen Crabbe and still paid less money for Crabbe/Harris than were paying for Oladipo.

Post of the thread.