Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

Sports Logo

Default Re: Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because we didn't gift PG to the LeBron.. er Cavs
    Probably. A trio of Irving, George, and LeBron going against the Warriors does make better headlines. Looks like OKC threw a wrench in that storyline.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Because we didn't gift PG to the LeBron.. er Cavs
    Yeah. Now the Cavs super team might break up because Paul didn't go there and Kyrie is mad about being included in trade talks. Indy's rebelliousness has upset some very powerful people.... and I love it.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Yeah. Now the Cavs super team might break up because Paul didn't go there and Kyrie is mad about being included in trade talks. Indy's rebelliousness has upset some very powerful people.... and I love it.
    Which is why this offseason hasn't really bothered me as much.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not sure if this has been posted any where before or what thread it belongs in. Seems believable to me. From Woj.

Here's where the deal fell apart, league sources said: Indiana wanted no protections on a future Cavaliers first-round pick. Cleveland balked, insisting the pick have lottery protection -- and Indiana moved onto the Oklahoma City package of Victor Oladipo and Domantas Sabonis.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...iers-value-him

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted any where before or what thread it belongs in. Seems believable to me. From Woj.

Good. I'm glad we didn't take that deal, especially now seeing Cleveland implode. Depending what year that pick would have been, it could have potentially been pretty high if (when) Bron bolts again.

Paul screwed us. No two ways about it. But I am pretty convinced at this point that KP made the best decision for the Pacers.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    But I am pretty convinced at this point that KP made the best decision for the Pacers.
    More people need to realize this ...........

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Gilbert "Indiana could have done better than they did"

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post

Hmm. I wonder if that means the deal would have been Gary Harris, #13, and also a future CLE 1st, which we wanted unprotected and they wanted lottery protected. That's news to me. Interesting.

If Paul and LeBron (and Kyrie) had all stuck around for years to come, it's likely a low 20's pick. But if they bolted and the Cavs sucked again, that could have been 'our Nets pick', in theory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Hmm. I wonder if that means the deal would have been Gary Harris, #13, and also a future CLE 1st, which we wanted unprotected and they wanted lottery protected. That's news to me. Interesting.

If Paul and LeBron (and Kyrie) had all stuck around for years to come, it's likely a low 20's pick. But if they bolted and the Cavs sucked again, that could have been 'our Nets pick', in theory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I doubt that's what was on the table. IF so, then yes you could make an argument that it may have been a "better" deal. But only from the perspective of having to have LOTS of things fall into place for it to work out for us.

If we could have had Harris, 13 and a Cle unprotected 1st in say, two years from now... Then maybe you do that and place your bet that the Cavs are going to be bad.

Too many 'ifs' for me.

I still think that KP did the right thing.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

sav

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Now having time to breath and look at the trade again, if all we read is accurate.....KP did very well, not exceptional but pretty darn close...all things considered
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    Now having time to breath and look at the trade again, if all we read is accurate.....KP did very well, not exceptional but pretty darn close...all things considered
    I tried to tell you that when it happened. Your never going to get good value when you are faced with a player asking to leave but KP did as well as can have been expected because not only was his job to make us better but it also included not making a super team in the East that would make any moves we make absolutely pointless. IMO he pretty much hit it out of the park with what he did, with the bonus of making Paul play in another small mid western market for a year.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I tried to tell you that when it happened. Your never going to get good value when you are faced with a player asking to leave but KP did as well as can have been expected because not only was his job to make us better but it also included not making a super team in the East that would make any moves we make absolutely pointless. IMO he pretty much hit it out of the park with what he did, with the bonus of making Paul play in another small mid western market for a year.
    OKC isn't in the Midwest. Its the South and while its not an ideal destination for most NBA players the Thunder have had more success than the Pacers in recent years. So I doubt its a burden for him.

I'm glad that they sent him out of the conference though.

I'm not sure if sour grapes even does this justice. It's gotta burn so bad. So this is what happened:

1) Pacers reach out to Cavs and try multiple times to exchange Paul for Kyrie.
    2) Gilbert turns them down and offers trash, getting greedy and wanting to load up on talent with LeBron, Paul and Kyrie all on the same team.
    3) KP flips them off and sends Paul out west.
    4) LeBron realizes Paul is headed to LA for sure, and probably with Westbrook. Lonzo, Westbrook, Paul and LeBron sounded like a great combination. Bye Kyrie...don't need you buddy.
    5) Kyrie is like...I'm going to be holding the bag? Don't think so. I'm out too.
    6) Gilbert's world comes crashing down...so ticked he didn't give more to the Pacers so he's going off on a rant.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

**** Cleveland. I can't wait for that team to implode and become the dumpster fire again. Maybe it will take the river with it.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I'm not sure if sour grapes even does this justice. It's gotta burn so bad. So this is what happened:

1) Pacers reach out to Cavs and try multiple times to exchange Paul for Kyrie.
    2) Gilbert turns them down and offers trash, getting greedy and wanting to load up on talent with LeBron, Paul and Kyrie all on the same team.
    3) KP flips them off and sends Paul out west.
    4) LeBron realizes Paul is headed to LA for sure, and probably with Westbrook. Lonzo, Westbrook, Paul and LeBron sounded like a great combination. Bye Kyrie...don't need you buddy.
    5) Kyrie is like...I'm going to be holding the bag? Don't think so. I'm out too.
    6) Gilbert's world comes crashing down...so ticked he didn't give more to the Pacers so he's going off on a rant.
    And let's not pretend that KP didn't think about this possibility, or at least not allowing the inverse possibility to happen. Inverse being that PG goes to CLE, Lebron sees this good faith effort to retool Cavs and is back to all-in, Kyrie is now happy, Cavs win and Lebron says to PG, let's just keep this going here rather than risk what could happen if LA goes wrong. Ditto with Boston.

Regardless of PG staying in either city, him going to either team would have helped them recruit other players and convince the guys already there that they mean business. Hurting your direct opponents is also part of being better than them in the future. With East opponents you can't really afford a win-win deal if they are going to win more than you are....unless it's clearly a "you win now and then we will win later" and with CLE/BOS I don't think a PG move there was going to be type of deal.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    And let's not pretend that KP didn't think about this possibility, or at least not allowing the inverse possibility to happen. Inverse being that PG goes to CLE, Lebron sees this good faith effort to retool Cavs and is back to all-in, Kyrie is now happy, Cavs win and Lebron says to PG, let's just keep this going here rather than risk what could happen if LA goes wrong. Ditto with Boston.

Regardless of PG staying in either city, him going to either team would have helped them recruit other players and convince the guys already there that they mean business. Hurting your direct opponents is also part of being better than them in the future. With East opponents you can't really afford a win-win deal if they are going to win more than you are....unless it's clearly a "you win now and then we will win later" and with CLE/BOS I don't think a PG move there was going to be type of deal.
    Who gives a damn about what the press or casual fan says about the trade now, from my perspective.

Let's see how the trade looks after we play a season. I suspect we are about to enter into a fun period of culture rebuild that will get us past the inevitable 1st round exit before you know it.

Convinced now more than ever that we needed to press the reset button. The question now is: did we reset the most effective way given the circumstances going into this offseason?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

27. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Alright Gilbert. Now you have a star who is requesting a trade and will not commit long term to any team. Lets see what you can get for Kyrie. Go.
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

29. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

New report is suns would trade Bledsoe, Bender and the 1st for Kyrie. I find this hilarious as IMO this trade is probably worse than what the Pacers got for PG. Oladipo is 2 1/2 years younger than Bledsoe, is a similar caliber of player but with more upside (and I think is a better all around player). Bender is taller than Sabonis, but Sabonis outplayed him in just about every facet as rookies, and the Miami pick will likely be in the 12-18 range. I feel both players the Pacers received are better than what's on offer to Cleveland, so the question is does middle-round pick more than make up for the players and the additional year left on Kyrie's contract?
    Danger Zone

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    New report is suns would trade Bledsoe, Bender and the 1st for Kyrie. I find this hilarious as IMO this trade is probably worse than what the Pacers got for PG. Oladipo is 2 1/2 years younger than Bledsoe, is a similar caliber of player but with more upside (and I think is a better all around player). Bender is taller than Sabonis, but Sabonis outplayed him in just about every facet as rookies, and the Miami pick will likely be in the 12-18 range. I feel both players the Pacers received are better than what's on offer to Cleveland, so the question is does middle-round pick more than make up for the players and the additional year left on Kyrie's contract?
    The Suns would have Kyrie for 2 full seasons....but no way that he doesn't bolt in the Summer of 2019. Outside of Booker.....the Suns are super young. I can't see Kyrie wanting to stay unless he doesn't have any problem building for the long term with a young Team.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post

Not to mention Bledsoe is not even the player he used to be due to him tearing up his knees multiple times. Including a meniscus tear as recently as 2015.