Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Kyrie asked to be traded

Sports Logo

Default Re: Kyrie asked to be traded

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More updates:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...iers-value-him

Still not sure whose draft pick it was. If it wasn't Denver's and Clevelands than the OKC trade makes more sense. KP probably anticipated Cavs were going to suck once Lebron left them again.
    I'm going to presume it was the 2019 pick. If LeBron leaves, they're probably hoping that the NBA will gift wrap them another #1 pick.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ZepZach View Post
    I sure hope so. He's one of the most exciting players in the league.
    Me too but I have a hunch these two teams won't be on each other's speed dials for awhile

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to granger4mvp For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If PG couldn't get us Kyrie, absolutely nothing we have now will.
    Impossible Is Nothing

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Romsey31 View Post
    Well, you can always flip Sabonis and Oladipo...

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Romsey31 View Post
    The Cavs would have traded Kyrie for PG if they had to. That's the thing, they were under the impression that Kyrie didn't want to leave Cleveland. But now they know different, so they have to trade him because the situation has become so toxic. The thing is, Kevin Love has yet to demand a trade. He's been in far more trade discussion than Kyrie. They've been trying to move Kevin Love I think since that first season he got there and wasn't 'fitting in' with Lebron. I think we could still get Kyrie because the situation has changed. Kyrie wants out, Lebron wants him gone (reportedly).... this not only changes the situation but probably drops the price a bit as well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    VIDEO: Stephen Curry appears to mock LeBron James, and Kyrie Irving is cheering right next to him. 👀 https://t.co/ihe9CUi8zi pic.twitter.com/YRpY1RI4uk
    — theScore (@theScore) July 30, 2017
    This dude... it's one thing to feel how he feels but jeez, he's still your teammate until proven otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Well, you can always flip Sabonis and Oladipo...
    After that video, Gilbert will have to come crawling to the Pacers to get us to consider that. Kyrie now has negative value on any team with LeBron James. The toxicity level this coming season will be off the charts. It is so wonderful that DRose is there to enjoy it too...
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

I'm kind of hoping Gilbert works a deal with the Lakers ......

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/07/...uth-ignorance/

Former Cavalier Ron Harper describes Kyrie Irving’s trade request as “youth, ignorance”

Former Cavaliers GM David Griffin called Kyrie Irving‘s trade request “courageous.” Griffin credited Irving for not just going along with everything and pretending to be happy, then “sinking the ship from within.”

Griffin’s comment was a response to former Cavaliers guard and five-time NBA champion Ron Harper’s comments on the Irving trade request to Marla Ridenour of the Akron Beacon Journal.

“Youth. Ignorance,” Harper said Sunday of Irving, 25, after signing autographs at the legends booth on Cavs day at the $9.75 million World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational at Firestone Country Club.

“When I used to play on bad teams and you trained all off-season to play 82 games, you get to the first round and you lose. You’re guaranteed to play till June. The East is good, but you know that you’re the best basketball team,” Harper said. “I don’t really understand what’s behind it…

“It’s not a guarantee that the Cavaliers are going to trade him to a good team,” Harper said. “I asked a guy, ‘What happened to the old-school days?’ When a guy asked to get traded, you traded him to the sorriest team. That’s the way it worked.”

Many former NBA players feel the way Harper does, and a lot of us in Irving’s shoes would probably stay in Cleveland and chase the ring. However, I’ve got no problem with players taking control of their own destiny — if star players want to team up to try to win, and they can push for that/control it through free agency, more power to them. They need not be just hapless employees subject to the whims of GMs and owners (who would not be loyal to them, players get traded when it’s convenient for management).

Irving wants out — most likely because he knows LeBron James likely wouldn’t be loyal to him next summer and Irving wanted to be proactive. He may not land in his desired location, but Irving is trying to control his own fate.

He’s just trying to walk away from a situation a lot of players would love to be in, so there is backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    “It’s not a guarantee that the Cavaliers are going to trade him to a good team,” Harper said. “I asked a guy, ‘What happened to the old-school days?’ When a guy asked to get traded, you traded him to the sorriest team. That’s the way it worked.

That's awesome right there.
    This space for rent.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Players have more power now than they did back in the day much to the dismay of players back in the day.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really don't get all of this. He already won a ring. He has decided that he now wants to be the man on a team. If you had already climbed the tallest mountain in North America, Mt Denali, and decided you now wanted to try to climb Mt Everest, would people really say, that is dumb, you should just keep trying to climb Denali. He is just looking for the next challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    I really don't get all of this. He already won a ring. He has decided that he now wants to be the man on a team. If you had already climbed the tallest mountain in North America, Mt Denali, and decided you now wanted to try to climb Mt Everest, would people really say, that is dumb, you should just keep trying to climb Denali. He is just looking for the next challenge.
    People are real selective when it comes to what they want out of an athlete.

This isn't a Kyrie thing just a general observation.

I personally get why he would be annoyed by LeBron's antics and holding the team hostage while he makes a decision.

At the same time many would kill to be in his position too.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    The same people that slaughtered KD for wanting to be a cog in the wheel and play on a stacked team area killing Kyrie for wanting to be the man on his own team

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    The same people that slaughtered KD for wanting to be a cog in the wheel and play on a stacked team area killing Kyrie for wanting to be the man on his own team
    The same people here that killed Paul George for wanting to be a cog in a bigger wheel are now killing Kyrie Irving for wanting to be the man on his own team. The hypocrisy is mind-blowing.

Enough with the lame justifications. Just say you want players to have no power in their own futures and stay put like good boys (unless they outperform, in which case the NBA suddenly becomes a business). At least that would be honest.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-08-2017 at 08:49 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

I think it's ******** that he came out publicly. If you're under contract than respect the contract. That doesn't mean don't request a trade, but go to the team, not the media. When teams are forced to trade a top tier player with two years left on their contract then players have to much power. There is a difference between Kyrie basically holding his team hostage and PG saying he won't resign when his contract is up. At least PG was willing to play for the team for his last contractual year. On the other hand, it's also funny cause it's happening to Dan Gilbert.
    Danger Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    KD is one of the best talents in league history. Kyrie isn't. Not even close to being the same thing.

I hated the KD move because I have so much respect for his abilities. He didn't need the crutch of a 73 win team to win a title.

The same people here that killed Paul George for wanting to be a cog in a bigger wheel are now killing Kyrie Irving for wanting to be the man on his own team. The hypocrisy is mind-blowing.

Enough with the lame justifications. Just say you want players to have no power in their own futures and stay put like good boys (unless they outperform, in which case the NBA suddenly becomes a business). At least that would be honest.
    Yep, a consistent argument I've heard on here is a player should be forced to play 20 years for the team that drafts them without ever having the opportunity to sign with a different team. You misrepresent the argument so much that it's just laughable.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/16/...-met-in-miami/

Rumor: LeBron James and Kyrie Irving met in Miami

LeBron James denied wanting to fight Kyrie Irving, but wanting to meet with his for-now Cavaliers co-star? That might be another story. Likewise, Irving – in light of his trade request – might not be eager to meet with LeBron.

But…

Tony Rizzo of ESPN Cleveland, as transcribed by Jackson Flickinger of King James Gospel:

“From very reliable sources. Plural. Kyrie and LeBron were in the same room over the weekend in Florida…Apparently these guys were in the same room and here’s the deal. I don’t know if there’s a thawing out process. All I do know is LeBron didn’t punch Kyrie the way Stephen A thought he would. I can report that. As for what they talked about or discussed…it was very cool. They didn’t get into any heated discussions.”

Did LeBron and Irving actually meet? Both were spotted in Miami, but maybe someone is just connecting dots that don’t belong connected.

Whether or not LeBron and Irving met, they might need to soon. Cleveland will have a tough time getting its desired return for Irving before the season, and Cavs owner Dan Gilbert discussed the possibility of Irving returning. LeBron isn’t getting traded.

No matter the disconnect between the two, LeBron and Irving might have to figure out how to work together a while longer. It’d be nice if that process has already begun.

I think NBA players should have all the power to request a trade or leave a team if they choose to. The problem with the NBA specifically is the referees and a lot of other questionable things conflate the issue. So a lot of what goes on seems orchestrated or influenced by unseen forces. Not to mention the blatant tampering and rule breaking that goes on and no one is held accountable. If the NBA ran a top shape ship, people would not be up in arms so much about player movement. But they way the NBA is officiated along with other issues, puts forth a narrative that these things are being orchestrated at certain times. You are still talking about a league where no one ever gets to see the draft process. Where instant replay isn't stretched for entire games, and coaches are at the officials mercy. With no available challenges at their disposal.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post: