Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 63

Thread: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

  1. #26
    teY dennaB toN
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,606

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    If you can get someone else to pay for it, the Oceannaire is worthwhile...

  2. #27
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    I don't know if it's still as good as it was when I lived up there 5 years ago, but at 116th and allisonville road in Fisher's is a diner called Sahm's. It used to be this tiny diner, but then they rebuilt it from the ground up and now it's a nice looking resturant.

    Great food. HUGE tenderloins. Try their carrot curls. They are awesome. Sweet and salty at the same time.

    They also used to make a decent filet topped with a peppercorn sauce that was to die for.

    And their prices were not too bad.

    And on the good side, if you go into the bar, they did have a 3 big screen TV's you could watch games and stuff while you ate. I used to love to go in there have a tenderloin, and carrot curls during the pacers games.

    I hope they are still there and as good as they were then. because next time I come to town, I am definitely going back for one of their tenderloins....

    Man I miss Indy. You can't find a damn tenderloin down here in NC anywhere. IF you ask about it, they just look at you funny....

  3. #28
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,631

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    Sahm's is great. Wide variety from sandwichs to steaks.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  4. #29
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cheesecake Factory is vile.
    Yes, it sucks so bad that if you get there after 5:00 on a weekday you have to wait at least 45 minutes for a table. On the weekend everyone must really want to eat crap because then you have to wait at least an hour and a half.

  5. #30
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by grace
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, it sucks so bad that if you get there after 5:00 on a weekday you have to wait at least 45 minutes for a table. On the weekend everyone must really want to eat crap because then you have to wait at least an hour and a half.
    If you haven't figured it out, anything that is popular or well-known or commercial is bad. Or vile if you will.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  6. #31
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    I'm just dumbfounded by the number of chains that are mentioned in this list.

    That said, I really like Palomino's, even though its a chain as well. I've had several nice business lunches and pregame meals there.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  7. #32
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,838

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you haven't figured it out, anything that is popular or well-known or commercial is bad. Or vile if you will.
    Actually one of the greatest experiences of my life was at The Cheesecake Factory. I ate a salad almost as big as the table, then they brought in a big screen and showed a double feature of Million Dollar Baby and Batman Begins. Oh, what a night........


    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  8. #33

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    peck...im a huge indian food fan....its probably my favorite...that and sushi....

    that being said, the indian garden restaurant that suaveness mentioned is very very good....

    ive had indian food in many parts of the world, and i would say i havent had any better....now i must say i havent been there in a couple of years, as im no longer in indy....but i still hold them in very high esteem.....both the broad ripple and downtown locations are very wonderful....

    if ur going to eat there, as suaveness mentioned....lunchtime is a great choice because they have buffets which allow u to have a number of different dishes....

    and god....is there anything as good as hot nan out of the oven????

    my personal favorites are palak paneer(creamed spinach and cheese) and makhani chicken(chunks of grilled chicken basted in yogurt creamy tomato sauce)

    Glad to see other peopel like Indian food. Of course, I can't say restaurants are better than India itself, or homemade
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  9. #34
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that Oaken Barrel is a personal favorite - a little more casual, but nice.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  10. #35
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by grace
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, it sucks so bad that if you get there after 5:00 on a weekday you have to wait at least 45 minutes for a table. On the weekend everyone must really want to eat crap because then you have to wait at least an hour and a half.
    What does that prove? You're confusing popular appeal with quality. If you go to a Bennigan's for lunch, chances are you're going to have a long wait. Chain restaurants are about quantity/volume, either in portions or people served or both. Food should never be a value proposition. You are aware there's an obesity problem in the U.S., right?

  11. #36
    missi
    Guest

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cheesecake Factory is vile. At least the two out here I've been to. It's a chain, so I imagine it's got to be pretty bad there as well. They confuse quantity with quality. But then most chain restaurants do.

    Whenever someone visits me here they want to go to Cheesecake Factory in Chicago. We always wait forever to get a table, the service is slow and the food is expensive and not that great. I could suggest two dozen other restaurants but everyone thinks the visit isn't complete until they experience Cheesecake Factory.

  12. #37
    Member indytoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,503

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    A couple places I like are El Jaripeo for Mexican food and Yen Ching's for Chinese. They're both on East Washington Street, although there's a Yen Ching's on the Northside as well. Best rangoons you'll ever have, bar none.

    IndyToad
    Learning to operate remote controls

  13. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    2,144

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    I'm hungry.

  14. #39
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What does that prove? You're confusing popular appeal with quality. If you go to a Bennigan's for lunch, chances are you're going to have a long wait. Chain restaurants are about quantity/volume, either in portions or people served or both. Food should never be a value proposition. You are aware there's an obesity problem in the U.S., right?
    Uh, if Cheesecake Factory is about "value", then damn, I need to stop eating out. $12 hamburgers and $8 desserts are not value.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  15. #40
    Member jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Charleston
    Age
    34
    Posts
    52

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    Everytime I visit Indianapolis I go to Buca Di Beppo's. I like the Bruschetta. Its unbelievable!

  16. #41
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,300
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by jax
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everytime I visit Indianapolis I go to Buca Di Beppo's. I like the Bruschetta. Its unbelievable!
    If you ranked the Italian places in this city, I doubt if Buca's would make the top 15 or so. Besides, it's unbelievably expensive. I have a hard time paying $20 for subpar spaghetti w/ marinara sauce, then having to pay extra to add a caesar salad and some breadsticks. But for some inexplicable reason, it is a very popular place to eat.

  17. #42
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Uh, if Cheesecake Factory is about "value", then damn, I need to stop eating out. $12 hamburgers and $8 desserts are not value.
    Their portions are ridiculous. That's still a value proposition. And it's a big problem in this country because a lot of people put a value on food relative to portions versus nutritional requirements (and the way food is prepared and the ingredients used play a big part in that).

  18. #43
    missi
    Guest

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Uh, if Cheesecake Factory is about "value", then damn, I need to stop eating out. $12 hamburgers and $8 desserts are not value.

    I went to a wedding a couple of years ago where the wedding cake was made by the Cheesecake Factory. 400 servings of wedding cake in eight different cheesecake flavors! It was set up and served by CF employees.

    Wonder what the value was for that deal?

  19. #44
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Their portions are ridiculous. That's still a value proposition. And it's a big problem in this country because a lot of people put a value on food relative to portions versus nutritional requirements (and the way food is prepared and the ingredients used play a big part in that).
    If you think their proportions are ridiculous, you've obviously never been to Ruth Chris. But then, they must suck too, because they're a chain and they serve big portions.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  20. #45
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by missi
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I went to a wedding a couple of years ago where the wedding cake was made by the Cheesecake Factory. 400 servings of wedding cake in eight different cheesecake flavors! It was set up and served by CF employees.

    Wonder what the value was for that deal?
    Oh Jesus, I hate to think how much that cost.

    And Harmonica is right in one aspect, their cheesecake is terribly unhealthy. I read somewhere that 1 piece is like 1500 calories. Never cared for it myself. I'd rather have a plain, small New York-style piece any day.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  21. #46
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you think their proportions are ridiculous, you've obviously never been to Ruth Chris. But then, they must suck too, because they're a chain and they serve big portions.
    Whatever. You don't get it.

  22. #47
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And Harmonica is right in one aspect, their cheesecake is terribly unhealthy. I read somewhere that 1 piece is like 1500 calories. Never cared for it myself. I'd rather have a plain, small New York-style piece any day.
    I'm right in every respect when it comes to food being a value proposition and how unhealthy of an attitude it is. It's not even debatable. Like I asked your sister, you are aware that there's an obesity problem in the U.S., right?

  23. #48
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whatever. You don't get it.
    I get what you're saying, I just don't agree with it. I think people go to restaurants like Cheesecake Factory because they like the food. If they're looking for huge portions, they'd go to a buffet. Is it unhealthy? Of course it is. But so are 90% of all the other restaurants out there.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  24. #49
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cheesecake Factory is awful.
    Thank you. The wrath of DD, Kegboy and grace shall now rain down upon you.

  25. #50
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Favorite non-steak restraunt in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank you. The wrath of DD, Kegboy and grace shall now rain down upon you.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •