Thread: Spurs fan breaks window on Pistons bus after game #7

Default Spurs fan breaks window on Pistons bus after game #7

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...s.5c16122.html

Police shrug at street party after Spurs win
    Web Posted: 06/25/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Vianna Davila and Jerry Briggs
    Express-News Staff Writers

On a night when most San Antonio fans safely celebrated a third Spurs NBA championship title, the only break the defeated Detroit Pistons could muster was a shattered window on the bus carrying them to the airport from the SBC Center.

But authorities said that overall, the postgame festivities went off without a hitch, despite the Pistons' troubles and large crowds gathering downtown.

"We can say with confidence that the crowds behaved in an orderly and controlled manner," San Antonio Police Department Spokesman Michael Muniz said.

The Pistons may have disagreed when someone on the street apparently threw a rock and hit a passenger-side window when the team was about a mile from the SBC Center, said Joe Arebalo, the driver of their bus.

"Everybody shouted, "Oh, (bleep). Get us out of here,'" said Arebalo, who drives for Coach USA.

Detroit team spokesman Matt Dobek said he thinks fans on the streets were aware that the Pistons were on the bus.

"They were all heckling us, but it wasn't that bad. They were cheering "Go, Spurs go,'" he said. "It was just this one person (who threw the rock). One can ruin it for everyone else."

Dobek said the Pistons didn't report the incident to law enforcement. But he said NBA security representatives were on the bus. Dobek said he doesn't see a need for a review of security in the wake of the incident.

Dobek said that when the rock hit the window, it startled the Pistons after their 81-74 loss to the Spurs in Game 7 of the NBA Finals. But they weren't that upset.

"It was just one fan," he said. "These things happen. No one knows that better than the Detroit Pistons."

A fan at a Pistons game threw a beer cup that hit Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest during a game Nov. 19 at The Palace of Auburn Hills. Artest charged into the stands, and a brawl ensued between the Pacers and Pistons fans.

No such riots unfolded on San Antonio streets, although fans downtown and on the highways hit plenty of traffic.

Both Interstate 35 and I-37 were highly congested, almost to a standstill, SAPD Sgt. Gabe Trevino said.

Deputy Chief Rudy Gonzalez, police commander for the party, estimated 150,000 people flooded downtown after the game, Trevino said.

"We did have a major congestion issue," said Muniz, who added the streets were mostly cleared by 3 a.m. "The roads were backed up all over downtown. But given all that, the amount of tickets and arrests that needed to be cited were relatively low."

Police reported two felony arrests for criminal mischief, four public intoxication arrests in the downtown area, and two arrests for assaults and threats to police officers, Muniz said.

One person was issued a ticket for unlawful riding and another for allowing an infant to travel in a vehicle without a car seat.

There was a shooting in the area of the festivities, but police said it wasn't connected to the celebrations and might be gang-related.

From the perspective of Spurs fan Michael Garcia, 34, standing at Losoya and Commerce, Friday's early-morning party was a success.

"There was really a showing of all people of San Antonio," Garcia said. "Older people, younger people, high school individuals, college individuals, a real range of Spurs fans that were out there."

At one point small fights broke out between revelers and others who rocked cars or climbed on top of vehicles. But Garcia took it in stride.

"They were celebrating, they wanted to let loose some energy and that seemed to be the way to do it," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

foretaz

Default Re: Spurs fan breaks window on Pistons bus after game #7

wow....no mention of manu in short shorts and being topless???

"Everybody shouted, "Oh, (bleep). Get us out of here,'" said Arebalo, who drives for Coach USA.

LIKE OMG! They were in so much danger! GET US OUT OF HERE! We are in san antonio! Please get us back home to detroit! LOL
    Kind of a catch 22 thing there.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Quote Originally Posted by J33J
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

LIKE OMG! They were in so much danger! GET US OUT OF HERE! We are in san antonio! Please get us back home to detroit! LOL
    Kind of a catch 22 thing there.
    ROFL

That was exactly what I was thinking. Get us out of Texas and back to Detroit!!! Well, In Detroit most windows are hit with stray bullets in a drive by so I can't blame them for being scared.

But I'm sure we will have a few people going to stick up for the Pistons and say they showed self restraint by not rushing off the bus and brawling with the fans.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The guy probably just wanted to sell them an Obi-Wan Ginobili t-shirt.

foretaz

am i the only one that thinks that the guy who threw the rock was probably Kid Rock? or at the very least a disgruntled Pistons fan? i mean when it comes to throwing things we know the pistons fans are experts....

lets see...pistons lose important game....someone throws something....

hmmm...where have i heard this before....

and we know there were pistons fans there....would anyone be that surprised that it was a pistons fan doing the tossing?

I didn't hear anything about this....and you're probably right... they probably were Piston fans.. LOL

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

[Kstat]What reason does a San Antonio fan have to do this. None whatsoever. I can't believe any Spurs fan would even come close to doing such a thing. Somebody is just trying to make the Spurs look bad. I'll bet if you traced the throw, it came from Michigan.[/Kstat]

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not that I make a big deal about this, but according to you guys, I guess its ok when another fan throws something.......

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Not that I make a big deal about this, but according to you guys, I guess its ok when another fan throws something.......
    Well Ron didn't get suspended this time
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    Ron Artest is going to get suspended.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    No, but on the other hand, Ron didn't yell "Oh, (bleep). Get us out of here,'"

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    No, but on the other hand, Ron didn't yell "Oh, (bleep). Get us out of here,'"

I would have preferred that over the brawl in the crowd.

I wonder if they will suspend the fan for the year? NO ATTENDING THE PARKING LOT CELEBRATION FOR YOUR TEAM!
    lol
    it was probably a piston fan, lmao
    They arent the brightest crayons in the box!
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by J33J
    I wonder if they will suspend the fan for the year? NO ATTENDING THE PARKING LOT CELEBRATION FOR YOUR TEAM!
    lol
    it was probably a piston fan, lmao
    They arent the brightest crayons in the box!
    Neither is the guy in your signature......

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004