Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Greatest American

Default Re: The Greatest American

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Shuttlesworth
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe the worst President in the history award is reserved for Bill Clinton. I'll give it to the guy though he can make total idiots believe he was the greatest thing to happen to America while doing absolutley nothing.

If Clinton is the worst what does that make Jimmy Carter?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I won't badmouth Reagan, because frankly I have no idea how overrated he was or not. He has charisma, a lot people like him, and that's all I really know of the man.

But I agree with Adam that it should have been someone closer to our formation, or perhaps Lincoln.
    While I am not going to be the one to do it, you'll find a certain segment would argue with you over Lincoln's place in history in that some have accused him of strengthening the Federal government well past what the founding fathers ever intended and shifted government down a new path that no longer holds the people's rights/liberties in the high regards originally intended.

It's an interesting discussion to hear. It has nothing to do with the issue of ending slavery per se', just the fact that Lincoln presided over, and drove, a fundamental change in our government.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    While I am not going to be the one to do it, you'll find a certain segment would argue with you over Lincoln's place in history in that some have accused him of strengthening the Federal government well past what the founding fathers ever intended and shifted government down a new path that no longer holds the people's rights/liberties in the high regards originally intended.

It's an interesting discussion to hear. It has nothing to do with the issue of ending slavery per se', just the fact that Lincoln presided over, and drove, a fundamental change in our government.

-Bball

Lincoln has just become an immortal figure in this country, probably forever. You'll rarely find someone mainstream that is going to criticize "honest Abe".

I often wonder how modern Presidents will be viewed in say a century. It's clear that Reagan will have a great legacy. I'm not so sure about Clinton or the Bush's. I don't think George Bush Sr. will be mentioned much in a century, except for being part of another father/son duo. Honestly, nothing that huge happened under the Bush Sr. administration that will cause him to be remembered greatly say 100 years down the road. He will be a man that is remembered for presiding inbetween the Reagan years, and the Clinton years.

Clinton may because 1) he presided 8 years and 2) there was a large economic boom in the US(whether he deserves some credit for it or not). George W. Bush will be remembered for the terrorism that came during his administration and his response to it.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    I don't think George Bush Sr. will be mentioned much in a century, except for being part of another father/son duo. Honestly, nothing that huge happened under the Bush Sr. administration that will cause him to be remembered greatly say 100 years down the road.

Uh, I gotta disagree here. "Nothing that huge happened?"

There, um, was this little thing called 9/11 that happened on his watch...

W will be remembered for 9/11, the "war on terror" and its consequences (good or bad), the Iraq war, and being part of the rise of the neo-conservative movement, which now conveniently runs BOTH houses of congress, the presidency and the Supreme Court. Thus W will also get "credit" for things like the Patriot Act, the Abu Graib prison torture scandal, and the upcoming Supreme Court justice nomination, which will likely result in the overturning of Roe vs. Wade among other things.

A lot has happened on W's watch. He will be remembered alright, but probably not the way some of you are hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan

W will be remembered for 9/11, the "war on terror" and its consequences (good or bad), the Iraq war, and being part of the rise of the neo-conservative movement, which now conveniently runs BOTH houses of congress, the presidency and the Supreme Court. Thus W will also get "credit" for things like the Patriot Act, the Abu Graib prison torture scandal, and the upcoming Supreme Court justice nomination, which will likely result in the overturning of Roe vs. Wade among other things.

A lot has happened on W's watch. He will be remembered alright, but probably not the way some of you are hoping.

While Pacersfanadam was incorrect to labe him George Bush Sr. (they do not have the same name so therefor Jr & Sr do not fit) he clearly stated that it was the fathers adminstration that would not be remembered in history.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    While Pacersfanadam was incorrect to labe him George Bush Sr. (they do not have the same name so therefor Jr & Sr do not fit) he clearly stated that it was the fathers adminstration that would not be remembered in history.
    Unless he is remembered as the one that didn't finish the job in Iraq the first time, right or wrong.

Like Peck said, I CLEARLY stated that it was George Herbert Walker Bush that I did not think would be remembered. I CLEARLY stated in my post that George W Bush will be remembered for the terrorism that came during his administration.

Peck, you're right, I am wrong in saying Bush Sr. I was trying to distinguish the two Bush's in my post. "George Herbert Walker Bush" or "George Bush 41" would have been a better way.

I voted Malcolm X.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacers67
    I voted Malcolm X.

Yeah, who knows where the United States of America would be today if it weren't for the great Malcolm X?

He was involved in Drug Dealing, Pimping, and Robbery. He feigned insanity to dodge the WW2 Draft. He was sentenced to prison for 8-10 years on charges of breaking and entering, carrying firearms, and larceny.

When John Kennedy was assassinated in 1963, all Malcolm X could say was that it was a case of "chickens coming home to roost."(Would Malcolm X think that about his own murder some 2 years later?) He later added to that "chickens coming home never makes me sad, it makes me glad." Doesn't take a genious to figure out that the assassination didn't bother him at all.

Who cares how you stand politically, if you have no sympathy for the President of YOUR country being assassinated, you are not a great American.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_X

Martin Luther King, I have total respect for, he believed in bringing his message across with peace. I don't have ANY respect for Malcolm X.

Like Peck said, I CLEARLY stated that it was George Herbert Walker Bush that I did not think would be remembered. I CLEARLY stated in my post that George W Bush will be remembered for the terrorism that came during his administration.

Peck, you're right, I am wrong in saying Bush Sr. I was trying to distinguish the two Bush's in my post. "George Herbert Walker Bush" or "George Bush 41" would have been a better way.
    Sorry, my bad. My apologies lol

Sorry, my bad. My apologies lol

No problem, just wanted to make sure you understood what Bush I was referring to.

Yeah, who knows where the United States of America would be today if it weren't for the great Malcolm X?

He was involved in Drug Dealing, Pimping, and Robbery. He feigned insanity to dodge the WW2 Draft. He was sentenced to prison for 8-10 years on charges of breaking and entering, carrying firearms, and larceny.

When John Kennedy was assassinated in 1963, all Malcolm X could say was that it was a case of "chickens coming home to roost."(Would Malcolm X think that about his own murder some 2 years later?) He later added to that "chickens coming home never makes me sad, it makes me glad." Doesn't take a genious to figure out that the assassination didn't bother him at all.

Who cares how you stand politically, if you have no sympathy for the President of YOUR country being assassinated, you are not a great American.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_X

Martin Luther King, I have total respect for, he believed in bringing his message across with peace. I don't have ANY respect for Malcolm X.
    I'll respond to this when I have time, but you have a lot of mis-understandings about Malcolm X.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacers67
    I'll respond to this when I have time, but you have a lot of mis-understandings about Malcolm X.

I doubt it.

Most of my "understandings" are confirmed by Wikipedia.org, a reliable, non partisan encyclopedia.

But yes, please respond.

Did Jesus Shuttlesworth get banned for his pointedly one sided love of the GOP? I found his posts in this thread so inane they were funny......

My opinion:

Hands down the greatest American was the original G-Dub......George Washington.