Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

  1. #1
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-275545c.html

    BY FRANK ISOLA
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

    Allan Houston's agent confirmed yesterday that his client has no intention of retiring, but William Strickland acknowledged that several key recent developments increase the "probability" that Houston's career in New York is over.
    As of last night, the Knicks still were finalizing a deal that would send Kurt Thomas to the Phoenix Suns for small forward Quentin Richardson. The Knicks also would receive a conditional first-round pick in the trade, giving them five first-round picks in the next two drafts. The deal, which paves the way for the Knicks to release Houston and save $40million in luxury tax under a provision in the new collective bargaining agreement, is expected to be made official on Monday.

    "Given that amnesty provision, it increases the chances that something could happen," Strickland said over the telephone. "But I do not believe that Allan will retire. He's worked too hard to get back. He still wants to play."

    If and when Houston is released, he would become an unrestricted free agent. And if he proves himself to be healthy, the veteran shooting guard should draw interest from contending teams that are in the market for an accomplished outside shooter. Miami, Detroit, Houston, Denver and San Antonio are teams that would love to have Houston coming off their bench. Indiana, which is a short drive from Houston's hometown of Louisville, also is an option.

    An arthritic left knee has limited Houston to 70 games over the past two seasons. Last season, Knicks president Isiah Thomas stunned Houston by publicly suggesting that retirement is an option that the veteran guard should consider. Houston, who has been with the Knicks for nine years, has maintained all along that he will not quit. He also believes that, considering Antonio McDyess overcame a similar injury to become a contributing player for the Pistons, he shouldn't call it a career just yet.

    Even if Houston were to retire, the Knicks would not be eligible for a medical exception because the rule applies only to players who appeared in 10 or fewer games. Houston, who will earn $39 million over the next two years, played 20games last season.

    Instead, the Knicks and Houston likely will have to part ways by exercising the one-time only provision in the new CBA. Releasing Houston would erase the last piece from the great Knick teams of the late '90s through 2001.

    Houston hit one of the biggest shots in franchise history when his last-second leaner eliminated the Miami Heat in Game5 in 1999. Houston's Game6 that year against Indiana, in which he scored 32 points to send the Knicks to the NBA Finals, was one of the greatest clutch performances in team history.

    "Ultimately, Allan believes he will be back," Strickland said. "He has pride and he puts his faith in God. I will never doubt him."

  2. #2
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Allen Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    Another Houston article

    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/25/sp...pagewanted=all

    Knicks Want Assurance on Richardson's Health

    By HOWARD BECK
    Published: June 25, 2005

    The Knicks' planned trade of Kurt Thomas - and other decisions that are likely to hinge upon it - is on hold and will probably not be resolved this weekend.

    The Knicks had agreed to deal Thomas, their sturdy power forward, to the Phoenix Suns for the swingman Quentin Richardson and a first-round draft pick. The trade stalled when the Suns failed to furnish insurance papers on Richardson, specifically in regard to a back injury he sustained while playing for the Los Angeles Clippers.

    Richardson missed 17 games in the final month of the 2003-4 season because of the back injury. The Clippers' concerns over the injury reportedly contributed to their decision to let him leave as a free agent last summer. Richardson played 79 games for the Suns last season, averaging 35.9 minutes.

    The Knicks were still awaiting the insurance paperwork yesterday, and team officials indicated that they did not expect the deal to be consummated this weekend. If the paperwork is not provided, it is likely the deal will be canceled.

    Knicks officials have declined to comment publicly on the proposed deal, and yesterday, Isiah Thomas, the team president, canceled a scheduled conference call with reporters for a second straight day.

    The uncertainty could muddle the Knicks' planning for Tuesday night's draft. At the moment, the Knicks are searching for a legitimate center and an athletic wing player. Dealing Thomas for Richardson would fulfill the latter need and make the former more acute.

    It is conceivable the Knicks will draft a big man - Arizona's Channing Frye or Fran Vázquez of Spain - regardless of the trade. But if they fail to acquire Richardson, the Knicks may be more inclined to take a guard or forward when they make the eighth selection. Possible targets include Hakim Warrick of Syracuse, Antoine Wright of Texas A&M and two high school prospects, Gerald Green and Martell Webster.

    The Knicks also hold the 30th and 54th selections. The pick they would acquire from the Suns in the Thomas deal would be in 2007 or later.

    The Knicks are also preparing for the free-agent market. Negotiations with players begin July 1, although no contracts can be signed until July 23, after the league adopts its new collective-bargaining agreement.

    Somewhere along the way, the Knicks will presumably hire a coach - they are expected to contact Detroit's Larry Brown soon - and determine the fate of Allan Houston, their hobbled shooting guard.

    The new labor deal will allow each team to waive one player without paying the luxury tax on his salary, and cutting Houston could save the Knicks nearly $40 million. It is not, however, a given that the Knicks will make that move.

    Team officials would prefer that Houston simply retire. An incurable arthritic condition in his left knee makes him a logical candidate for a medical retirement. But Houston, who played just 20 games last season, is determined to make a comeback. He was working out at the team's training center in Greenburgh, N.Y., on Thursday.

    The Knicks could be embarrassed if they cut Houston - and pay the $39.8 million left on his contract - only to watch him sign a minimum-salary deal with an Eastern Conference contender like the Miami Heat.

    So team officials intend to monitor Houston's progress throughout the summer before deciding whether to take the tax windfall.
    -----

    I would like what I highlited to happen, only Houston sign a minimum contract with the Pacers instead of Miami, then stick it to New York in the playoffs with Houston starring!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    The question is:

    Assume that one guy will accept the vet minimum. Whom do you give it to, Dale Davis or Allen Houston?

    I know Peck's answer. Mine would be the same.

  4. #4
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Allen Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    i just find this new one time special waiver fascinating.....knowing what wrestling must be going on in some of these organizations minds....

    though with the knicks i dont think its as big a deal....though they wouldnt admit it.....theyre not a contender....they will struggle to make the playoffs, best case scenario....so having allan go to miami, the pacers, detroit or whomever might be a bit embarassing, but worth the 40 million in savings....

    now dallas on the other hand, with finley, should they decide to let him go....then have him go to phoenix or san antonio...well....now that would be a really harsh blow....preferably id like to save cuban the embarassment and take finley and thereby making it easier for him

    of course the same holds true for us and say austin....he ends up in detroit or miami....and well.....if he plays it might suck....thats the real deal for us....could austin play much on a miami or detroit....miami-probably....detroit...not likely....plus , austin might very well go someplace like the lakers to go back home....so.....

  5. #5
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,773

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    Not sure how the Pacers could stick it to the Knicks in the playoffs. Knicks ain't going to the playoffs anytime soon.

  6. #6
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    Do we really need another player with bad knees?

  7. #7
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    Assuming Hulk comes back healthy and ready to contribute, and we keep Artest, I'd take Houston over DD. And I like DD. But we need some shooters.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure how the Pacers could stick it to the Knicks in the playoffs. Knicks ain't going to the playoffs anytime soon.
    If we follow through with this KT deal we aren't - be three years at least IMO.

    Otherwise we'd have a shot if a coach could get us to D up.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  9. #9
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,577

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    I'd like to get him, but, I don't want to give up DD.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  10. #10
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,866

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    I would chose DD. We also better be keeping JJ. You talk of needing a shooter, well we have one who needs more minutes.

  11. #11
    Member scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Milford, Indiana
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,043
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    I'd take Allen Houston over Dale Davis anyday. I don't know what kind of crack you're smoking when you say Dale Davis. Yeah, Dale's nice to have. He is a fan favorite because of his time here, but I mean come on. A 34 year old Houston with bad knees is better than a 36 year old Davis that has lost a step or two. Yeah, Dale's nice to have because of his toughness, and the fact that he's a shot blocker and can rebound. But he doesn't do any of that great, he's not even a great defender anymore.

    Allen Houston may not be the player he once was, but the fact remains, he's a scorer that can hit threes, and even now he can light it up. When will Dale Davis provide much needed scoring? Never.

    We've still got the option of keeping Dale AND gaining Houston, but don't kid yourselves on this one. We need scoring, not an old Dale Davis that is lucky to get 5 rebounds in a game.

  12. #12
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would chose DD. We also better be keeping JJ. You talk of needing a shooter, well we have one who needs more minutes.
    I like JJ. But at this point he's a spot up shooter only. Fairly easy to defend. Besides, we need more than 1 mere mortal to replace Reg!

  13. #13
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    Quote Originally Posted by Fig Newton
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd take Allen Houston over Dale Davis anyday. I don't know what kind of crack you're smoking when you say Dale Davis. Yeah, Dale's nice to have. He is a fan favorite because of his time here, but I mean come on. A 34 year old Houston with bad knees is better than a 36 year old Davis that has lost a step or two. Yeah, Dale's nice to have because of his toughness, and the fact that he's a shot blocker and can rebound. But he doesn't do any of that great, he's not even a great defender anymore.

    Allen Houston may not be the player he once was, but the fact remains, he's a scorer that can hit threes, and even now he can light it up. When will Dale Davis provide much needed scoring? Never.

    We've still got the option of keeping Dale AND gaining Houston, but don't kid yourselves on this one. We need scoring, not an old Dale Davis that is lucky to get 5 rebounds in a game.

    On the other hand.......... if we get a healthy David Harrison, Jamaal Tinsley, Fred Jones and Jon Bender back, AND keep Artest, play Jax at his better #2 spot and get minutes for JJ - we might NOT need any more shooters.

  14. #14
    Member scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Milford, Indiana
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,043
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the other hand.......... if we get a healthy David Harrison, Jamaal Tinsley, Fred Jones and Jon Bender back, AND keep Artest, play Jax at his better #2 spot and get minutes for JJ - we might NOT need any more shooters.
    Just because someone can shoot does not make them a shooter. Jax is a streaky shooter, Ron Artest is a selfish shooter, Bender isn't a great shooter, nor is Fred or James. James Jones is to timid actually, and Fred is to inconsistant. Houston would be our best shooter if he came to the Pacers.

  15. #15
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    I'd choose DD. As long as we have Jack and Freddie, I don't see any help that we need at the 2.

  16. #16
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,987

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    I'm with Fig on this one. DD is great to have, but I REALLY think we need a pure shooter who can play SG, so Houston would be great. SJax is good, but VERY streaky and he can be making his own game plan at times, Houston would be great to have then. Freddie is ok but too inconstistent, though he played an enormous amount of minutes last season, so I think he wore down a lot later on, which is pretty logical ... atleast that's what I think . I want a little more experience on this spot though.

    I expect Harrison to log more minutes this year and I expect Dale to be very usefull, but I also expect much less out of him the coming season per game than what we got out of him since he has returned to us. He got a LOT of rest at Portland and Golden State, let's not forget that, it might be very misleading to think he would be as good as he was for us IF he had played considerable minutes or medium minutes at those 2 other franchises this last season. Love the guy, his toughness and his picks, but let's get real.

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  17. #17
    Member indytoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,503

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    Of course you have to consider that Houston probably wouldn't be playing in very many games at all. I'd rather see JJ continue to improve.

    IndyToad
    Dust free

  18. #18
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    I'd take Dale, someone who will actually play in the games, over Houston every time.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  19. #19
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,468

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    Quote Originally Posted by Fig Newton
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just because someone can shoot does not make them a shooter. Jax is a streaky shooter, Ron Artest is a selfish shooter, Bender isn't a great shooter, nor is Fred or James. James Jones is to timid actually, and Fred is to inconsistant. Houston would be our best shooter if he came to the Pacers.
    If said shooter can't guard anyone then he will be more of a hinderance than help.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    Yeah, I see Houston doing about as Steve Smith is doing now.

    I would just want Davis for the attitude he brings to the team as we would be choosing leadership rather than team needs with these two players.

  21. #21
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    the odds of houston coming to indy are probably slim....but rest assured the status of dale davis will have very little to do with it....

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,957

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    If Houston is released, all we would have to pay him is the vet minimum. Don't teams have 2 exceptions that they can use? The 1.3 mil. vet exception, and the MLE? If so, we stand a chance to sign Davis, and any player waived under the amnesty provision.
    By the way, does anyone have a link that explains this provision entirely? I'd like to know if the team waiving the player is allowed to re-sign that player for the vet minimum, or if a trade between to teams could allow 2 such players to be traded, waived, and then picked up by their original teams. Such as the Payton deal this past season.

  23. #23
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Houston is released, all we would have to pay him is the vet minimum. Don't teams have 2 exceptions that they can use? The 1.3 mil. vet exception, and the MLE? If so, we stand a chance to sign Davis, and any player waived under the amnesty provision.
    By the way, does anyone have a link that explains this provision entirely? I'd like to know if the team waiving the player is allowed to re-sign that player for the vet minimum, or if a trade between to teams could allow 2 such players to be traded, waived, and then picked up by their original teams. Such as the Payton deal this past season.
    the player may not resign with the team for the duration of the contract that has been 'waived' for luxury tax purpose

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,957

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the player may not resign with the team for the duration of the contract that has been 'waived' for luxury tax purpose

    Thanks: That's a good clause, but it doesn't sound like it would stop the sort of deal that brought Payton back to Boston. For example the Dallas could trade Finely, and a 1st. round pick to another team that wanted to get under the cap. Then both teams could waive their players, and Finely could re-sign with Dallas for the vet minimum.
    Does anyone know if we would have both exceptions this coming year? Again, if this is the case, we could waive a player, use the vet. minimum to sign a player like Houston, give the MLE to Dale, and still be clear of the luxury tax area.

  25. #25
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Allan Houstons agent names Indiana as an Option

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks: That's a good clause, but it doesn't sound like it would stop the sort of deal that brought Payton back to Boston. For example the Dallas could trade Finely, and a 1st. round pick to another team that wanted to get under the cap. Then both teams could waive their players, and Finely could re-sign with Dallas for the vet minimum.
    Does anyone know if we would have both exceptions this coming year? Again, if this is the case, we could waive a player, use the vet. minimum to sign a player like Houston, give the MLE to Dale, and still be clear of the luxury tax area.
    we probably wont know all the specifics till around the time the cba is finalized....

    the amnesty clause has to be utilized in a specific period of time...something like 30 days after the cba is finalized...meaning teams will have approx the month of august to do this....then its over....i would think the transaction ur talking about will not be permitted and the wording will likely prohibit it....the fact u only have a short window to utilize the clause will make that very possible to eliminate...

    the pacers have their MLE and teams get the vet exception every year...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •