Thread: Kupchak Upset About Trade Rumors

Default Kupchak Upset About Trade Rumors

http://sports.excite.com/news/06252005/v0878.html

Lakers GM Upset About What He Calls False Trade Rumors
    Jun 25, 4:16 AM (ET)

By JOHN NADEL
    EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) - General manager Mitch Kupchak freely admits the Los Angeles Lakers might make significant roster changes this summer - no surprise considering how poorly they fared last season.

But he says nothing being reported recently is true.

"Without getting into great detail, every trade I've heard about has been completely inaccurate," Kupchak said Friday. "Somebody should pay for that. I don't know where they originate. So many people get their feelings hurt."

Kupchak referred to the subjects of those reports.

"I'm on the phone. I would suspect there's going to be change on our roster," he said. "(But) it's unlikely that anything will happen (before Tuesday's NBA draft). I don't anticipate anything will happen at this time."

Kupchak acknowledged he's talked with several teams, saying, "That's what happens when you win 34 games."

But, he added: "I don't come in here every day thinking I've got to get a deal done. If it makes basketball and business sense, that's something we'll try to do."

The Lakers have three picks in the two-round draft - the 10th, 37th and 39th overall selections. They've been rumored to be trading up and down, with several players mentioned in potential deals - mostly on Internet sites.

"There's three or four a day for the last week," said John Black, the Lakers' executive director of public relations. "They're all bogus. The fans read all that stuff and they get all excited. It doesn't happen, and they're all disappointed, they're all let down.

"I think the whole team's been traded, including Kobe (Bryant)."

Black called it "irresponsible journalism."

"It's degenerated every year that I've been here," he said.

Assuming the Lakers don't make a trade before the draft, Kupchak said he doesn't expect their first-round draft choice to make a major contribution, much less be a starter.

"I think it's unlikely any player drafted 10th through 20th will make an immediate impact," he said. "Hopefully, he can play a little bit."

Kupchak also said he didn't believe the Lakers will choose a high school player in the first round, but didn't rule it out.

"You roll the dice a little bit more," he said. "And, of course, you're not going to get productivity for two or three years."

Kupchak said the Lakers brought in around 55 players for pre-draft workouts - around twice as many as usual. He pointed to the fact that they have three picks in this draft instead of the usual two, with the No. 10 selection much higher than their first choice has been in several years.

"Plus, we had more time to do it this year," he said with a thin smile, referring to the fact that the Lakers failed to make the playoffs for just the second time since 1976.
    ------------

So much for the Bender to LA rumors. Now Walsh, Bird, and Kupchak have termed them untrue.

foretaz

Default Re: Kupchak Upset About Trade Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

So much for the Bender to LA rumors. Now Walsh, Bird, and Kupchak have termed them untrue.

which probably means it will happen....

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bird expects ourpick at 17 to be a regular contributor by the AS break and yet MK expects his #10 to hardly see the floor? No high schooler for MK.....sounds like a lot of smoke and mirrors IMO.

I beleive NOTHING of what these guys are saying right now...any of em.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bird expects ourpick at 17 to be a regular contributor by the AS break and yet MK expects his #10 to hardly see the floor? No high schooler for MK.....sounds like a lot of smoke and mirrors IMO.

I beleive NOTHING of what these guys are saying right now...any of em.
    exactly....with all birds talk bout getting a player with a few years college, etc.....i almost expect them to draft martell webster or andrew bynum at this stage.....that or trade the pick...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really hope this puts the kabosh on the Bender trade rumors.

Sports Logo

Please refresh my memory....has there been any reliable Pacer poster in PD that has said that a Bender/17th pick will take place with the Lakers?

I know its running rampant on the Lakers forum......but I don't know if anyone on our side has confirmed that such a rumor has happened.

I'm talking about a PD Poster...not Cupchake or Bird. They can deny any rumor...but until we pick the 17th pick and he starts to play in Traiing camp.....I won't believe them. Think about it...any GM would be stupid to reveal their hand before the game is played....that's why they are denying any trade rumors.